I'm looking for something with: wifi, physical keyboard, linux, pocket size. But it can not be a phone...

I'm looking for something with: wifi, physical keyboard, linux, pocket size. But it can not be a phone. something like a portable raspberry pi but already built. low ram will do as long as it can play video
Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

n-o-d-e.net/terminal.html
youtube.com/watch?v=XTSVysKUmXM
getchip.com/pages/pocketchip
fermatslibrary.com/s/when-csi-meets-public-wifi-inferring-your-mobile-phone-password-via-wifi-signals
youtube.com/watch?v=lslcH-T1E0o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

any high end UMPC.
you're probably looking for something similar to VAIO P?

or where can i buy the pandora?

>any high end UMPC.
You know any i can buy from amazon or ebay?

>you're probably looking for something similar to VAIO P?
no that's too big, It can be arm but I want it smaller, like a nintendo ds

There is nothing that small.

Ebay, as theyre OOP

Or just preorder a Dragonbox Pyra, the successor to the pandora

you're asking too much,
I could recommend you a lot of devices but the problem is in the "it can play video".
most of the older small devices with full keyboards have integrated graphics that are as powerful as a SATA controller chip.

VAIO UX has a keyboard,
NOKIA N900 has a keyboard(it's a phone but it's running Linux pretty much natively)
Fujitsu LOOX has a keyboard

they all have pretty much everything you need except the raw performance that you'd need for them to smoothly play video

There is, see:-

That seems to be the case, I've some time searching but can't find something actually on sale. Just images of great ideas done at some point.

I'd buit pic related if the instrucions said the model of the keyboard. It just says "Wireless 2.4GHz Mini thumb backlit keyboard"
n-o-d-e.net/terminal.html

I found it on ebay, but WTF, that old piece of shit is still almost as expensive as a new GPD WIN. damn

Why use wireless? Get an xbox 360 chatpad for cheap and wire it up to serial - someone documented the protocol, but I don't have the url handy

GPD win, not sure about linux compatibility though.

youtube.com/watch?v=XTSVysKUmXM
wifi works with linux, and it can probably play video too, so yeah.

the new GPD thing can come with Ubuntu if you want. Looks like a Vaio P too.

PocketChip user
getchip.com/pages/pocketchip

Only $69 which is nice. It runs Debian and you can install anything on it. I use mine for usenet on the go, irssi, nethack, ssh, etc. It's pretty great.

That's insane looking, whats the keypad like for typing?

That's a fun hacking project, but i'm wondering if it'd be more expensive than to just buy a gpd win. Probably so if I count time

Can you actually type? It looks kind of fragile, as if the keys will stop working after 1 month of use. I have to admit the price is awesome.

It's actually not bad. The layout makes a few compromises to get into the small size, but I can use vim reasonably well. For longer-term uses, you may want a keyboard.

It's pretty badass to git clone your dotfiles and apply them on a pocketable machine.

It's got a USB A port which you can use for a larger keyboard / mouse, and charges over micro USB. I think it would be great to bring it on a plane and write software or something with vim, plugged into the seatback USB jack.

wow, it look like a dream come true, and the price is actually accessible and fair for what you get. Just to make sure, it DOESN'T have any modem of any kind or antenna other than wifi right? I don't like cellphone antennas because they can't be turned off when you're not using them like with wifi

Do you want me to scare you away from wifi?
fermatslibrary.com/s/when-csi-meets-public-wifi-inferring-your-mobile-phone-password-via-wifi-signals

They can use part of the 802.11n chipset for radar.

I admit it sounds awesome, but can it play video?

you can play video on just about anything if you're willing to convert it beforehand

I once loaded an HD Taylor Swift music video on it, it played at near-framerate. I'm sure SD video would work fine.

I know wifi isn't the technology to go if you want to be a spy. But at least the telephone company don't know where I am at all times.

awesome
thanks Satan, didn't knew you where interested in pocket computers

>awesome
i looked up the specs after posting, and it's way more powerful than i thought
1GHz ARM7, 512M ram, Mali400 GPU
it's basically cheapo-but-modern cellphone hardware, video will be easy

What will you use it for? I have an irrational attraction to these devices too, but I realize that they are completely useless and I probably would just fuck around with a device like this for a day before stashing it in my old unneeded electronics drawer.

WOW! and it can run openarena on the go?
It actually has some decent performance.
do i have to ship from china or something like that?

forgot pic

I wish to edit text files, view videos, listen music, view images, read text, browse the web with random wifi hotspots trough a VPN.
I don't like touchscreens, funny because at first i thought they where awesome and bought the first iphone. But latter it broke and even before it did i started to hate the touchscreen, then i learned that cellphone antennas can't be turned off so I started to dislike cellphones in general

> Satan

I just think she's pretty. Also has some nice tunes.

Wait for the GPD Pocket or get a GPD Win and wait for better Linux support (probably once Pocket is out).

>like a nintendo ds
the gpd win is the exact size and weight of a DS

I almost forgot, how's the battery life?

Yep! It works great. Mine took a while to get here, but only because I pre-ordered it. I think it'll ship in a week or so if you bought one now.

I was referring to your digits 59052666 the last six six six

I used to have a little Zipit Z2 custom flashed, running debian. That was a lovely little device but the screen broke.

Wifi, SD card support, nice little keyboard, clamshell design.

It was slightly fiddly getting it to work initially.

It's OK. Maybe 5 or 6 hours of continuous use. Sleep mode is a lie - it just turns off the display. If it's actually powered off, it takes a while to drain the battery (for example, mine has been off for 2 weeks and still has a charge).

It seems to charge pretty quickly

>But it can not be a phone.
Damn, else I would offer you a N900, performance wise it's better than a old Pandora.

Can run Linux natively.

That looks beautiful and comfortable.
I'd pay $150 for the pocket chip if it looked like that

Yeah, it was a sweet little machine. Shame she died.

It'd be a little underpowered these days though, it's an old machine.

5-6 hours is what I was looking for!
If that's true this is indeed a good purchase.
I'm just wondering how long will the keyboard last and if it can be paired.

of all the phones that's the one that tempts me.
But I'm sacred to buy it used and get one with a broken or half-working key.

Not sure what you mean by paired? It does have bluetooth.

sorry i meant to say Repaired, didn't notice my mistake until now. But yeah, when they keyboard brake I'll like to repaired it as i don't know if this or a similar device will be available in the future

How do you actually operate such a keyboard without going bananas? Do you guys all have tiny hands or something?

Just like you'd operate a Blackberry Mister President

That's a good plan, I'll wait for the GPD pocket and see if there's a change in price for the GPD win, and decide if i go for the GPD win or PocketChip

Looks comfy user

are there cases available for the pocket chip?

I have never quite understood what a UMPC is even good for. The keyboard is small and uncomfortable, the screen resolution is either too low to display anything but maybe 10 lines of text or it's too high to be readable.

Though I have to admit, the new GPD looks undeniably cool. But that's just not reason enough for me to spend that much money. Give me a reason, anyone?

No, I'm not a salesman of GPD. If it's not useful for you then okay.
Though if you ask me why I'd prefer a small keyboard over a touchscreen I'll say the keyboard is easier for me to type, even if it's blackberry size, don't know, maybe cause I like more the blackberry i had for the last 4 years than the original iphone i had back then when it came out

You're right about the keyboard. Maybe I was looking at it too much from a laptop point of view. I've been reluctant to replace my Nexus 7 2013 with something more modern but thinking about it, something that small with a real physical keyboard might be a good replacement.

Wait for pyra

I actually I want to replace my blackberry with something that isn't a phone, that's why the GPD is perfect for me, I'll keep an old cellphone without the battery on, just in case I really need to call.

How long must I wait? I waited two years and it's still on pre-order. Besides, is more expensive than the GPD

I think we both have similar privacy concerns. I use my Nexus 7 (WiFi only) for mobile computing while for making calls I use a regular Samsung cell phone, not a smartphone, that I can remove the battery from.

there you go, if you want a physical keyboard or an intel cpu to run pc software on the go then the GPD is for you, is expensive though i know, that's why i'll follow idea and see if it get's chepear after the GPD pocket is ship

youtube.com/watch?v=lslcH-T1E0o You might want to watch this. Its from LinusTechTips

Thanks i just finished watching. It's an interesting product but more than performance I'm looking for longer battery live. But i like how it's built, looks more solid than the pocket chip, but the GPD is also bigger i think

That thing looks way cool. I love physical keyboards on phones. How much does it run for?

-- they do plan on making a keyboard to go on top of those bare dome switches, right?