What went wrong, Sup Forums?

What went wrong, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/science/occams-corner/2013/dec/09/gender-stereotypes-schools-children-choices
vimeo.com/19707588
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Simple: in the 80's, Reagan and his conservatives were in charge. They were (and are) known misogynists, so they drove women away from STEM with their policies.

Go fuck yourself with your shit threads happened.

Good question.

How the fuck do people find the enthusiasm to make and participate in these shit circlejerk threads moaning about women 15 times every day? You spergs all agree with each other and no one ever posts anything new unless they're trolling .

You didn't check the catalog before posting this thread.

Computer jobs became "uncool" in popular culture.

That's it. I'm not joking.

Programming stopped being secretarial work when the microcomputer became small enough to put a whole computer at every desk.
At that point, there was no need for punch card feeders and vacuum tube replacers, the scientists upstairs writing programs could simply do it themselves.
Women simply weren't up for it, notice the steep dropoff as soon as the microcomputer became cheaper and cheaper.

Who fucking cares. Let people go to the fields they're attracted to.

Duplicate thread. Move along.

Hard work happened.

Haha no let me tell you about how hard computer programming was before the 80s, son...

easily explain.
modern women are a fucking joke.

Perhaps more women are interested in fields that are not computer related. Shocking, I know.

Not enough kute koding bootkamps to teach them how to
>cd..
>ls
>pwd
>cd kode
>cd..
They've been stuck on /home/Stacy for 40 years

No.

Holy shit, is this graph real?

This just proves that appealing to demographics doesn't work and all it does is alienate them.

I remember watching a very interesting video about female fighter pilots in WW2 and they loved the profession as they were treated no different and even this lack of being treated different wasn't even pointed out.

Things were much more understandable in yesteryear

You weren't as abstracted from fundamental concepts

The most likely scenario is that women were a huge part of the field in the early days, but CS' rise in prominence came with the idea that it was a "male" profession, so the number of women involved dropped over time.

>This just proves that appealing to demographics doesn't work and all it does is alienate them.

The drop started in the mid 80s.

You've never heard of punched cards, have you?

>Holy shit, is this graph real?

If you look at the Nordic countries of Europe where they are perhaps some of the most equal and egalitarian, the sexes fall back into their stereotypical career choices. Once inequality is removed in the environment, the only thing left is the genetic disposition. Shoe-horning people into professions is laughably stupid.

programming is hard. :(

It used to be even harder, darling. The minute the challenge dropped, womyn left. Inferior men stayed. I wonder why... ;)

Tedium is different from hard work.

What kind of argument is this?
Do you even understand what you're saying?

You're not even a convincing troll.

It isn't, literally any Pajeet can do it.

So you haven't?

What actually happened? A program spun off from pure maths, which has a lot of women BTW, got really popular with people who just wanted to do tech.

The fact that percentages may have gone down don't really mean much when the number and sizes of computer science programs have gone up rather drastically since the 80s.

Stop regurgitating Peterson, it's embarrassing.

What actually happened is Russian, Chinese and Indian hordes started mass invading computer science. Those are primitive, primarily patriarchal societies, where women aren't allowed off the kitchen. That's what happened.

>Stop regurgitating Peterson, it's embarrassing.

Problem?

Outside of legacy computing punch cards already went away in the 1970s. By the 1980s those who didn't use machines that actually sat on a desk with monitor and keyboard used remote terminals with a monitor and keyboard.

>Peterson
Who?

He's not wrong thou... Sexual dimorphism is a thing and it's not limited to genitalia.

My point precisely.

Computers are for people with no life. Who else would lock themselves up to code stuff.

If I had a life I would never had spend countless hours making stuff on my computer.

Neckbeard stereotypes, bad work conditions, big incoming of foreign workers.

At first, programming was considered a profession for women, considering it was a job that was relegated to secretaries and the like. They were the ones doing the coding and the ones being in charge of the tech support department.
Then, at some point, they were relegated and it became a job for men. Then it became a job for pajeets and other disposable immigrants.

>they were the ones doing the coding

Punch cards were intended to emulate direct input from the keyboard and were thus used to write both high and low level languages. The main difference between them and video terminals was that you typed everything up in advance and then fed it all to the computer in one go.

They weren't coding, they were glorified calculators and keyboards.

I know that, I've used them. What's your point?

This. Simply put, women aren't interested in the nitty gritty of computer science (or anything, really), they're too hardwired to serve people.

>At first, programming was considered a profession for women
Not really... The typing up of hand written programs to paper tape was definitely considered to be a woman/secretary's job, but when Grace Hopper did most of her work, the people she worked with were just about all men.

The original idea of programming being a woman's job stems from WW2 when most of the men were away fighting and how badly they overhyped Ada Lovelace.

Wow, someone's ego has been hurt! Calm down, honey, it will hurt less if you just accept it, sweetheart.

Punch cards are basically a delayed action keyboard. They really don't abstract anything any more than a terminal+keyboard combo.

this image is 50% true, 50% exaggerations

Another insecure little male feeling threatened by womyn's accomplishments. I'm afraid you gotta work on that ego, dear.

But I just stated a fact?

No need to feel threatened by a few females just because they are superior to you, darling.

Also, the types of women to go to stanford would be the types that go into fields like computer science. On the whole, what I said stands for the female gender. Nothing wrong with it, just our roles in society.

If by "fact" you mean "deeply entrenched prejudiced notions that have been completely debunked by rational science", then of course, sweetheart.

In this ITT thread: misogynists BTFO

This was debunked the day it came out. Nice try.

MAXIMUM DAMAGE CONTROL

Ur muns pucci is a thing and it aint limited to your dad

Damn, how are the little-penised insecure Sup Forums woman-haters EVER gonna recover from this #REKKING?

Consider suicide.

>Posts obvious bait
>Contributes nothing to thread
>Posts obvious bait
>Uses a # on Sup Forums
>Posts obvious bait

Here's your (You)

>Ada Lovelace
Majorly hyped up and all the did was do a bit of theorizing when Babbage, her personal maths tutor, told her about the Analythical Engine when he was planning it

>Jean Sammet
Never heard of the formac language and the COBOL working group was a rather huge group of people. Would have been impressive had she been in a senior position in the project

>Hedy Lamarr
One of many engineers who worked on a rather important wireless data communication project. Can't recall what exactly it was, but she wasn't even a senior person in the project, just a rank and file engineer among many others.

>Grace Hopper
First serious groundbreaker on your list

>Katherine Johnson
Not really all that impressive when being a human calculator was considered a woman's job because of how tedious and boring it was.

>Edith Clarke
I guess there always needs to be a first one, but for the first female electrical engineer not to appear until the 1900s is a bit late and graphing calculators were still years away when she died in 1959.

>Kathleen Antonelli
Not all that impressive when most of the programmers of the ENIAC were women because most of the competent men were away taking part in WW2

All that picture proves is that women did take part in early computing history, but apart from Hopper they were mostly footnote material.

Show us your amazing contributions to technology then, oh great one.

>Show us your amazing contributions to technology then, oh great one.

Irrelevant to the facts stated.

this just proves the women are smarter! :D

computer science is garbage ... !

So none?

Why can't people just do what the fuck they want without some fucking sperg group crying sexism because it isn't 50/50 to their liking?

Fuck sake.

This, women are the real smart ones at dodging the jobs with long shifts and shitty paid. Only neckbeards are masochist enough to accept to work in those conditions.

Irrelevant to the facts stated. Even if were to list my achievements it would be inconsequential to the facts stated either for or against.

>Asspain: The post
It doesn't really matter... Apart from Hopper, I've personally achieved about as much as all the women in that picture.

Yes, you've proven that women in tech did exist way back when, but you could only present a single female groundbreaker. Listing rank and file engineers and programmers aren't all that impressive when nobody denied or even doubted their existence.

That's not the 80s. What you're referring to is called 2000 or as I like to call it the new millenium. etc etc

>Why can't people just do what the fuck they want
Gee, I don't know, user! Why do you misogynists keep brainwashing girls with your "you can't into STEM lol" bullshit instead of letting them do whatever the fuck they want?

>The report launched today by the Institute of Physics (IOP) entitled "Closing Doors" shows that the majority of schools fail to encourage subject choices in a gender neutral way. Boys are less likely to take stereotypically girls' subjects such as psychology or English, whereas girls are opting not to take physics or economics A-level, stereotypically identified as "for boys". This is not good news. Our children should be free to choose to study what really excites them, not subtly steered away from certain subjects because teachers believe in and propagate the stereotypes. Last year the IOP published a report "It's Different for Girls" which demonstrated that essentially half of state coeducational schools did not see a single girl progress to A-level physics. By contrast, the likelihood of girls progressing from single sex schools were two and a half times greater.

>When discussing the launch of this report on the BBC Today programme I was challenged by a headteacher that "maybe girls just don't like physics".

theguardian.com/science/occams-corner/2013/dec/09/gender-stereotypes-schools-children-choices

None then. Okay.

>Apart from Hopper, I've personally achieved about as much as all the women in that picture
I'm sure you have, random shitposter from an online Tibetan wet lithography imageboard.

You can tell that image was made by a woman because of the arbitrary placement of the names and description.

FPBP

Great rebuttal!

retard

Consider suicide.

I'm not the retarded one with nothing to give to society. Might as well end it fagit

>I'm sure you have, random shitposter from an online Tibetan wet lithography imageboard.
That would have been a decent rebuttal had we been talking about Hopper and that Apllo software lady, but everyone except Hopper (and Ada Lovelace who didn't actually do anything but theorize a bit) was a rank and file employee who worked on bigger projects mostly staffed by men.

Can you stop trying to destroy gender stereotypes for no reason other than they exist? Women and men ARE different, they tend to like different things. I agree with having equal opportunities for each gender in case they don't follow the norm (girls who are interested in engineering/math etc, guys who want to be nurses or help people) but if they don't want to then don't try to force the "equality".

What seems more likely, every female in the entire world is brainwashed into liking things they actually don't, or women just prefer different jobs. Also, in trying to push more women into science and engineering, isn't this even more direct brainwashing?

Look at this video (yes it's pretty long, but very insightful in my opinion) and tell me if you still have any arguments: vimeo.com/19707588

As a white male, a feminist, and a cuckold , I think we need a white male tax, a ban on white males from entering the country, obtaining employment, or owning land, and mandatory abortions for white male fetuses.

The problem with people like the one you're replying to is that they want to pretend people like you actually want programming to be an all boys club rather than a field anyone interested i it can work in. What they do is try to attack arguments you've never made thinking that this will prove that you're a misogynist asshole and they're the great feminist ally they think they are.

Nobody except a few morons actually believe that women should be prevented from going into STEM fields, it's just that a lot of people who consider themselves to be really progressive think that fewer women than men choosing not to out of their own free will means that this is somehow evidence of rampant misogyny in the field.

Him is right, big part just was computer(people make compute) in time comes electronic computer, women take care computer.

All women on imagen don't be computers, them were scientists or engineers.

If you unironically defend what described, then you're a piece of shit. How can you look to a kid with a straight face and tell her she can't do something because of her birth-assigned gender?

This is NOT about "forcing equality" (???), it's about stopping you turds from FORCING INEQUALITY. Stop trying to defend the undefendable, idiot.

If inequality is so "natural", then why force, dipshit? Stop limiting girls' freedom of choice to learn and do whatever they want!

Stanford major in CS is full of foreign, mostly women are asians,Indian,Eastern Europe or Russian, working on companies of Silicon Valley.

Simply American girl, don't want this kind of jobs.

Dongle jokes are actively keeping women out of tech fields

This.

Women need to sort out their mental issues before pursuing stem degrees.

> nodejs

>How can you look to a kid with a straight face and tell her she can't do something because of her birth-assigned gender?
I don't. That's the point - they have the freedom to do whatever they want. I have absolutely no problem with women in science and engineering, there are several women in my third year EE class and they're very respectable.

My problem is with the statistics being sent out that result in people reacting like this. People see "oh no women aren't going into STEM" and then misinterpret this and demonize me and many others, like you are doing now.

Again, women have freedom of choice. I said nothing about forcing inequality.

Re-read Or are you wilfully ignoring the report?

>womyn's accomplishments
>implying women build civilization

the only reason women are accomplish anything in life is because they have the government. the government had to handicap men first so women can compete against men. they pass affirmative action laws and gender quota laws that benefit women. also the government wastes money on women for them to join stem fields. Women are a waste of resources and time because they later leave those fields to start a family. also sexual dimorphism makes males better not females this is why women are a dumber.weaker and more emotionally unstable version of men. lastly women are nothing but parasites who take more from the system then they put in. majority of tax payers are men and women benefit the most from those tax benefit.

Why do people care so much?

This topic is a guaranteed 300 replies every time it's made.
Why does this piss you off so much?
Do you hate women?

Most "women" in tech are not women

Feminist: few women on programming is bad.
Programmer: you want to be developer.
Feminist: meh job for looser and neckbeard.
Programmer: ...
Feminist: misogyny.

Most "tech" is not tech.

Sup Forums generally hates feminist because feminists hate fun and encourage discrimination of males.

Honestly I didn't read the report the first time around. I read it now. Unfortunate that mixed schools have a lower rate of women in STEM classes. I'm still pretty unconvinced that this is something that can be fixed though. The way I see it:
>boys tend to be interested in STEM
>boys go into STEM
>girls want to avoid all-boys classes
>girls take something that's not STEM
This is in addition to their normal tendencies to prefer non-STEM classes. But then, how do we fix this?

because we are taking funding and education away from boys so women can have an opportunity. The problem with this is that women leave their careers to start a family and hurt our country in the development of science. also women can't never become great scientists like Tesla or Newton because they are bad at abstract though.