Cant install linux on new windows 10 laptop

>buy Windows 10 laptop
>cant install Ubuntu

Why is this allowed?

I did install Ubuntu somehow using a live cd but it wont boot

Remix os Works properly doing a dualboot, but Ubuntu wont boot. any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/security/2016/08/microsoft-secure-boot-firmware-snafu-leaks-golden-key/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Idiots buying Windows 10 computers shouldn't be installing Linux.

What's your alternative, autist?

Ask to remove the key and get the refund, then install Gentoo

That wasn't the question. Basically all laptops that aren't appleshit come with Windows 10.

Is this guy some meme-faggot that cannot understand UEFI or did companies start selling actually locked laptops?

So? What does mean "cant install Ubuntu"?

>locked windows laptops
This would be a kek-tier meme

I did disable secure boot but i cant fucking install Ubuntu on it. It just wont boot, it wont appear on the boot menĂº.

Try burning the iso to the USB with a different program (preferably using just dd in another linux system)/

Did you already try killing yourself?

Switch it from UEFI mode to Legacy boot mode.

try using rawrite32 for making a live USB, it always works for me ,but you have to reformat the whole drive afterwards. Its closest, simplest alternative for dd on windows imo, you just have to select "show all files" on file type when you select the iso.

System76

It means that the hardware is locked to only support Windows 10. Are you stupid or something? Why can't you read?

>Locked hardware
Bullshit.

I think HP or someone was selling laptops that couldn't boot Linux. Their excuse was that for performance the device used some weird SSD RAID thing, can't remember exactly what, and it wasn't supported by Linux, and they refused to port the driver to Linux. They also removed the UEFI option to disable the feature, like all other laptops implementing it had.

>disabling based UEFI and not just adding your own keys to SecureBoot and signing your kernel
cuck

That is utter cancer if true

It was acer. Also they could just let the user change the raid to ahci mode or something ,but nah why bother, lets block the option in uefi.

Yep.

They defended their shit too.
>hey, we can't run Linux on this wtf
>well, Linux just doesn't support the laptop, tough shit, we're not stopping you
>wait, it's just a software feature
>why isn't there an option to turn it off
>because fuck you and your family

Sounds like you dodged a bullet

You have to change the boot order of the hard disk in BIOS settings.

Read up on Lenovo's locking of motherboards, dumbass. Not OP but damn it's hard to miss information like that.

probably some nonfree botnet bullshit firmware/driver issue.

I know a lot of newer laptops will have almost guaranteed problems with suspend and brightness control out of the box.

only safe bet in 2017 is XPS Developer Edition.

if you can't get that. look for laptops that have Intel only hardware. Wireless radios, chipsets, etc.

also when installing loonix on EFI laptops make sure you have one FAT12|16|32 filesystem which holds /boot/EFI or for /boot as a whole.

boot flag must be EF00

you technically don't need grub to boot with efi, but it should jus werk.

>not just adding your own keys to SecureBoot
>using SecureBoot

You have to disable secure boot

there is nothing wrong with secure boot in principle.

the implementation by many chink shit EFI devs however leaves much to be desired.

No they don't. Plenty of laptops come with Ubuntu or another Linux, or FreeDOS and are for this reason cheaper.

Next time get your laptop from here

Did you not read the part about adding your own keys, dipshit? You realize that you can throw out MS's keys, which they leaked like a bunch of cucks, and generate your own, secure keys and use them to sign your Linux kernel, right? And that's what I suggested, right?

Since when is Remix OS a fucking windows version?

with the exception of like the xps 13 developer edition most of the laptops that come with linux are just plain worse than windows laptops. They're bulkier and usually shitty plastic.

boot ubuntu whit rufus uefi mode

likely the laptop uses UEFI secureboot and won't boot an OS that doesn't have a signature it trusts (aka a signature from Microsoft)

>buying computer
>thinking you own the circuitry

Proprietary technology that you don't have a proper legal agreement with the manufacturer or software company to override.

It takes literally seconds to bypass secure boot on EVERY laptop. Are you people fucking retarded?

you just need to wipe windows off, disable the security in the BIOS and you should be able to install any Linux

wouldn't that kill the cat?

yes.

>go on Sys76
>Click Bonobo to laugh at the prospect of buying a >$10,000 laptop
>they have Kaby Lake processors
I thought Kaby was locked to Winshit or something?

>cant install linux on new windows 10 laptop
Think about it, you degenerate - you don't know how to install linux on a win10 laptop which is can't even be considered to be entry level - it's that easy.
Why the fuck do you need linux, you idiot? You lack the ability to learn and use it.

You know, Holier-than-Thou fucks like you are a noticeable reason GNU/Linux isn't mainstream

You must clear the factory default keys in the BIOS for Secure Boot. Once you select the option to clear the keys (signatures) and press F10 to save, your computer will prompt you to enter a four digit PIN (it's listed) and then press the enter key to confirm. Ubuntu is capable of installing with UEFI, but in your situation maybe go and disable Secure Boot while you're at it.

You will never get a strictly work-oriented OS to be mainstream. And only a degenerate will attempt to.

use shim

My advice to you is to get rid of Windows 10 all together. Once you let go of Microsoft's regulated products, you will be better off.

If you need to run Windows based software, do it with a virtual machine.

The chipset drivers aren't available for older versions of Windows, doesn't stop other operating systems from using them

Why has wikihow.com the most detailed and WTF ever pictures?
Also their tutorials are a few steps away from surrealist bullshit like
>How to start your own religion
>How to throw over a government
>How to summon cathulu and end all existence
>How to see if your cat like all animals worships our lord and savior SATAN

Seriously WTF, they are on the level of the onion only for real.

PS: Its because MS is activity working with OMEs to block anything that is not windows have fun with UEFI.
Turn it of and go to legacy bios.

There are only a very select few laptops that have a Linux option. Literally everything else is either Windows 10 or OS X

How about other distross?

>there is nothing wrong with secure boot in principle
Retarded idea.
Encryption can be easily cracked with time or leaking of the ultra secret key.
Here is a idea why not have a separate connection on the computer and whatever is in this socket is the OS.

No bullshit.
Kind of like the Raspberry Pi?
Every OS installation is identical to installing a OS on the Raspberry Pi.
No possibility of ever anything going bad VS shitty retard crypt system that is only there to fuck over non-MS OSs
Considering that we have SSDs for OS only this makes perfect sense and will improve everything.
Nop cant have this
>UEFI/secure boot is totally for your security you guys.

Retarded old fag siting on his 2001 computer.
No dipshit MS is making it harder and harder for you to install anything other then win10.

Read some news or try installing on something that is not a windows 98 computer.
Also you need to install on every model that exists.
Its cute your legacy computers all can have ubuntu installed now try it on the new ones.

just swallow your pride and get a macbook

>No dipshit MS is making it harder and harder for you to install anything other then win10.

>muh microsoft bogeyman

Blame the manufacturer for locking their hardware.

Good, we don't want you using Linux.

Leave it to us experts.

Micro shill get out.

>first they installed UEFI with the option to turn it off
And you did not speak out.
>Then they removed the option to turn it off, however left the option to add you to the key chain
And you did not speak out.
>Then they removed this potion
And you where fucked forever.

MS is literally marching you to a completely locked environment and you are not speaking out. You the cancer that will kill of every non MS/apple OS!

>Blame the manufacturer for locking their hardware
Who is sucking off MS for unknown reasons.
YES if you give me a manufacturer who is not microshits bitch I will praise them.

I still don't see how this is anyone's fault but the organization who created the hardware.

If it's objectively a bad thing, then the hardware manufacturers shouldn't do it.

YES I know.
Now start bitching to every OEM that they are MS bitches for no reason whatsoever.

Daily reminder linux needs a linux only OEM for the good of us all.

>no reason whatsoever
Right, the OEMs surely don't stand to gain anything by reducing OS fragmentation on their machines.

What do they gain by preventing it aside from pissed off users?

Literally retarded.

Wrong, there are some where it can't be done.

this

and there will be more

arstechnica.com/security/2016/08/microsoft-secure-boot-firmware-snafu-leaks-golden-key/

Who's doing this so that I can avoid it in the future?

nobody knows until somebody tries and complains user, it's not like anybody's publishing a list

who even knows

>why is this allowed?
Capitalism

If you don't like it then don't buy it. Instead, support a company that lets you do what you want with your hardware.