You don't use a Chromebook

>you don't use a Chromebook

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/docs/hcl/c201.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>yes ill pay to have my computer be an information collector for google

WTF I love using gimped, slow as fuck hardware now!

>uses a Chromebook

>being too retarded to install linux

Bought a chrome book years back and its still running strong, build quality is garbage but for $200 it hasn't fell apart

>implying that thing isnt a nonfree cia nigger trap

ill stick to my dankpad

It already comes with gentoo linux, you mongoloid.

But it's still a proprietary botnet, with proprietary hardware.

I didn't know Intel was proprietary.

it's certainly not the most durable material but it's still a good OS

>Actually, i do.

Nice, me too

because i use a thinkpad

Nice, what kind?

Nice, Chromebook 3

What brand?

Samsung is the only brand that makes the Chromebook 3. It crashes constantly and it can't handle more than 3 tabs running.

Igotchupham

Funny I have a thinkpad x131e with the celeron specs, which is used for the Chromebook edition I believe.

I definately want to use chrome os since i wont be doing anything. But I do need microsoft word for college since some professors claim to know the difference between certain office programs.

Would be nice for a dedicated facebook machine for my mom or myself since the more important things are done on my phone and home pc

Oh that was confusing me for a second because my company apparently went up to 11. I got the hisense chromebook 11.

All it takes from Gentoo is portage.

I don't think it even uses OpenRC.

What fucking professor makes you use a specific word processor?!?
Drop any class that tries to pull that shit, and there's an online version of MS word which has most of same functionality as desktop word.

You can just use drive and do this

libreboot was ported to the asus c201 chromebook. You can have FOSS down to the metal.
libreboot.org/docs/hcl/c201.html

>He doesnt install ChromeOS on an aging laptop for free

anyone here have any experience with gallium os?
I've been considering picking up an acer c720 and throwing gallium os on it to use as my school laptop.

but I do.
pixel only good chromebook
everything else is for Sup Forumsoons.

It's literally xubuntu with some chromebook specific mods. Currently posting from it.

I want the pixel so fucking much, how perfect is it?

>paying for your phone to be an information collector for Google
Why Android acceptable on Sup Forums but Chrome OS isn't? Hell, now that Chrome OS has Android apps they're practically the same.

Anyways, Chromebooks are just cheaper versions of Windows laptops most of the time since they don't have to pay for a Windows license. It's only like $20 in most cases, but still. Idk why you'd buy a $200 Windows 10 botnet book over a slightly less than $200 Google botnet book when $200 Windows laptops are only good for web browsing anyways.

loving dat new material design. r11 fag here

no delete key out of 10

as comfy as it is it isn't worth the asking price. If you get it for a couple hundred bucks and you don't care you could get one.
5~6 hours battery life, the screen has some burn in but overall the resolution and screen ratio makes it great for reading and browsing.
Keyboard is decent, equal or better than old macbooks and old retina.
Build feels premium as fuck and it's convenient to pick up and use as a tablet.
Touch screen are a fucking meme on laptops, for some odd reason I found myself more often than not poking from time to time the screen while reading.

no storage / 10
fucking useless

Chromebook pixel 2 as my portable SSH machine. Best laptop I've ever owned

pixel 1 is good, pixel 2 fixes all the issues of 1.
>better battery
>faster processor
>more ram
>tfw dont rly need much storage bc things can be done via cloud

I wish I had a pixel 2.
pixel 1 is still good though.

glorious pixel master race brother.

>small screen to begin with
>almost half taken up by bloated chrome UI
what the fugg

I'd buy a chromebook if you could install full linux on it without having to flash bios chips and otherwise do very dodgey, largely undocumented procedures to turn my locked down toy into a "real computer".
What is even the point when i can have a decked out thinkpad for much less than even the cheapest chromebook.

You can remove the bookmarks bar and set the shelf to autohide to give you more real estate. And if that isn't enough, you can set the screen to a higher resolution than its native one to make everything smaller.

I have galliumOS and it refuses to connect to school Wi-Fi or anything that has to redirect you to a sign in window

>buying a web browser laptop

LOL

>using linux garbage

LMAO

Shift backspace you twat

this is either low quality bait or you are literally a fucking retard. Dont dare tell me you are a cs major.

BotnetOS has absolutely nothing in common with Gentoo. They don't even ship portage, just use it as a fucking build tool.

Any professor who doesn't accept assignments rendered by LaTeX deserves to be shot.

Thinkpads are heavy and ugly and frankly overkill for a basic shitposting machine

Sadly, paranoia can't be deleted from your brain.

>heavy
you're limpwristed
>ugly
you're a numale
>frankly
you're effeminate

You're correct, but that doesn't make me wrong.

Yes, I use a Chromebook. Upgraded the SSD to 128GB and running Arch Linux

your opinion couldn't be any more worthless as a limpwristed effeminate numale

Not the person you're replying to, but I'm throwing in my $0.02
This is true, but something like a T410 (1440x900 vs 1366x768 on typical laptops of similar spec) has that slight edge when it comes to vertical real estate. That, and the whole Golden Ratio meme with 16:10 might be a placebo but it works.

>Heavy
I used to lug around a 10lb AIO around back in 2008
>Ugly
Entirely subjective. As mentions, 16:10 is said to be more pleasing to the eyes than 16:9. I personally like the utilitarian design and the sheer robustness of it all, even in new thinkpads.
>Frankly overkill for blah blah blah
Not for the price point it isn't.

I unironically use ChromeOS on my Toshiba CB2 (2015) CB. It's fast, responsive, secure, and does everything I need. I also am logged into the same gmail account on my CB as I am on my android phone so everything between the 2 are synced.

I also shitpost on Sup Forums from said CB and phone. I don't give a fuck what data Google collects about my browsing and shit posting habits.
>"oh man, this loser has 15GB of stupid smug anime girl pictures and a smug green frog"

Don't care. Anything that matters and I consider private is kept in a Linux installation. CB's are easily the best value laptop one can get for sub $300. And I mean new, not a beat to shit used thinkpad. With an additional $150 in batteries/hard drives to make it usable for more than 5 hours. I have a T420 with Ubuntu MATE and it's damn near been replaced for everything not VM related.

Not using a thinkpad =

I got my Thinkpad for $30. 256GB SSD on sale for $50. Chink battery for $20.
Works like new despite being in the passenger seat during a literal car crash (long story short, took a slick S-curve at 50mph)

Got a HP Chromebook G4 for 350 dollars, which was almost half the price of any other store in my country. Can't for the life of me figure out how to activate the android play store though, even when I'm on the beta branch. It's alright for using at university, since we have more powerful computers in our lab with Windows anyway, if I need it.

What busted ass thinkpad did you get for $30? The only thinkpad I got for sub $50 was a T520 with no HDD, broken screen, no HDD, no DVD drive, but had a brand new OEM 9 cell and brand new keyboard.

B-but I do use a Thinkpad
not everyone should though

>some professors claim to know the difference between certain office programs.
Does anyone honestly care what program you use to write text?
If yes your professors are a joke.

T410 from a guy who got it for literally no charge from Humana.

Forgot to add, everything included and the entire laptop was near mint condition.

yea that's a once in a lifetime deal. I had a T410 years ago that I bought for $80+$50 in batteries and a new keyboard.

Even then, I thought it was a steal.
The guy I got it off of was a senior in high school (my younger brother was a junior at the time) who said he got it in his freshman year CS class for doing basically nothing.

Is there any Linux distribution that runs smoother than Chrome OS on Chromebooks? I tried Gallium OS on my n22, and it was pretty slow (although this was a few months ago, I reverted back to Chrome OS because it didn't have sound support).

If you don't have the ability to optimise something like Gallium or even flash BIOS to boot to something like Lubuntu or Porteus, then yes stay on ChromeOS.

My next laptop will be a Cr-48, pretty excited. Don't even have to bother flashing the BIOS, just going to pull the guts from my old one.

Why get a new laptop when youre just gonna swap out the guts with the guts of the old one?

Because the old one's hinge snapped. Trust me, if I could still be using the old one I would be. Plus most of the rubberized coatings on the ones I'm looking at are in better condition than mine.

Alright.

I'll admit I'm not the most skilled Linux user. I just want to be able to use GIMP and stuff on my Chromebook.

I'm just not sure if all Linux distributions were as slow on Chromebooks like the n22, or if Gallium was just slow because it was an early build for the n22.

>GIMP
GIMP is rather resource-demanding to begin with, make sure you have good enough hardware (can barely run it on my desktop)