Mark my fucking words, CDs will be nostalgiafag technology because of MUH FEELS like with cassettes and vinyl

mark my fucking words, CDs will be nostalgiafag technology because of MUH FEELS like with cassettes and vinyl

also old types of video stores will make a comeback because of nostalgia and will be a pretty large market

> i could either download every media ever created for free
> OR
> go to a physical store to and spend money on deprecated support that's almost not supported anymore

so many choices what to do what to do ...

I still buy CDs. I see no reason to purchase intangible content.

I live across the street from a nostalgia/hipster vid store where you can still rent VHS/dvds

Most small record labels also still produce vinyl/cassettes for hipster collectors but no CDs

It's digital you fucking retard.

nobody believs this sht
fuckoff

>will make a comeback
sure
>will be a large market
nope

as a niche maybe.
but nothing more than niche like vinyl.

The way in which nostalgiashit takes off is that it is only hints of the original but removing all the bad. For example the nes they just re-released doesn't have carts but has games burned into it. It's been 20 years and people mis-remember on purpose and don't remember the bad, your model has to go along with this. You could be with some sort of digital download service where you buy a "CD" but it's just a nothing circle piece of plastic and it comes with a DDL ticket. You'd have to do it like that.

but download doesn't have that feeling of going to a store and renting a movie. and since you actually had to go somewhere to get it, you tend to be more involved in the experience

sounds familiar, doesn't it?

except vinyl has surpassed digital sales recently because MUH ANALOG SOUND XDD

true i used to spend lots of time in these shops as a teenager
i just can't see myself doing it anymore, if i bought a physical copy i'd just rip it and let it stay on a shelf forever

Except vinyl is actually good

some early cds are worth getting because they're mastered better.

>You could be with some sort of digital download service where you buy a "CD" but it's just a nothing circle piece of plastic and it comes with a DDL ticket. You'd have to do it like that.
What a retarded idea

>mark my fucking words, CDs will be nostalgiafag technology
No shit Sherlock.

And no, VHS won't come back.
Vinyl 'players' has aesthetics.

VHS players:
Deprecated ports
Aesthetics? Fuck no.
You actually have to waste your time while watching a low quality video...

Listening to vinyl, you can do whatever the fuck usefull you can do.

>mfw I still buy CDs

which VHS?

plain old original VHS? yea that pretty much sucks
SVHS? better, don't really know much about it
DVHS? better than DVD, higher capacity and bitrate
DVHS DTheatre? 28Mbps 720p/1080i holds up in quality even today, not as good as an hd-dvd/blu-ray, but still pretty good

I just buy CDs online, for the albums I most appreciate, and I also have an Apple Music subscription because I can't be bothered to download and transfer files in 2017.

I don't buy music from stores because I don't want to be disappointed not finding what i want.

I highly doubt it, at least with analog there is some sense behind it, you can test yourself to hear a difference (may be better or worse but it's undeniably different sounding). With digital, it's digital, it all sounds the same and this consistency can be verified.

Straight up, my nigga. Anything on the Internet should be free. Paying for a download is the same as letting someone charge you to watch YouTube videos.

CDs are still digital you fucking retard. Analog mediums of the past were fundamentally different -- the fucking dust sitting on top of a vinyl could color the sound.

except CDs won't be outdated because they are perfect for archiving

if anything it would be minidiscs

if i was to archive a lot of music on optical discs, i'd store flac's on bluray discs augmented with extra ECC using dvdisaster

[citation needed]

CD is good enough for audio if you don't want multichannel or 80+min long.

The 90's were shit.

t. born in 85

It's the winter. I'm not one to leave the house and drive through the snow just to get a darn DVD.

What doesn't make sense is that while vinyls do have the benefits of being analog media, CDs are just bad quality digital, which you could get much better on spotify, for example.

You're not getting CD quality audio on Spotify.

>CDs will be nostalgiafag technology
But DVDs and Blu-Ray look exactly the same.

>320kbps ogg vorbis
>not CD quality

>CDs will be nostalgiafag technology because of MUH FEELS like with cassettes and vinyl
I think DRM (or lack of) and ownership will drive it mostly.

Everything online these days is just a rental or license to use their shit and nothing more.

technically speaking, none of those DRM-less physical formats mean you own any rights to use the media contained for anything besides what you could with current DRM'd media

the only difference is that DRM attempt to prevent you from doing what is not allowed, where before it was just text telling you not to

don't think you have any more rights over the music on your vinyl records over someone with music on their ipod purchased via itunes

Lets suppose I have two libraries of music, both identical.

One library is only CDs
The other library is on itunes.
Both libraries have cost me considerable amount of money to accumulate.

So what happens to either one if..
I were to die ?
I want to sell all/a portion of it ?

That is my biggest issue with this shit, if I am for all intents and purposes taking this to the grave with me, why buy it at all ?
Multi billion dollar companies have shut down their movie/music services before it has happened before and it can happen again.

don't get me wrong, there are advantages to drm-free media, physical or not
but ownership/rights is not one of them

i wouldn't buy something that relied on the continued existence of a third party in order to use (except in special cases where it only makes sense that way, such as subscriptions to an MMO)

What about Minidisks?

Fuck this shit, I'm just going to keep downloading everything and saving it to hard drives.
>tfw you have a 10TB media library and all of your pleb friends have spent more money on less than 1/10th the content

No one gives a shit about digital mediums. People collect cassettes and VHS because they're
1) Charmingly distorted/LoFi
2) You can buy a shitload of them for pennies at thrift stores
People buy vinyl records because they fell for the marketing meme, and because the packaging/inserts makes them feel like something you can appreciate

my town still has a blockbuster

>renting music

t. underage B&

>because the packaging/inserts makes them feel like something you can appreciate
So much this. I love having 144sq" album art

Let me tell you guys what you should be doing.

1) Sink about $200 into the one-time purchase of some M-Discs and a compatible burner.

2) Collect FLACs until you can fill one of the M-Discs you bought (whatever size that was, I like 100GB).

3) Burn to M-Disc.

4) Repeat.

Here's why: M-Disc is a non-perishable disc format where the data is literally etched in stone. Burned M-Discs can last for centuries at minimum, and while only special drives can burn them, any Blu-ray drive can read them. The catch is that they're very expensive relative to standard blank BD-Rs, so you want to use them only on data you *know* will be of value a century (or even a millennium) from now.

FLAC is a fantastic use for these, because FLAC, being lossless, will be useful literally forever. A hundred years from now, FLAC will either still be the gold standard, or will be trivially converted into whatever format is. So download FLAC, and keep it literally forever. Pass it down to your children, and your children's children, and to their children. Much better than hoarding shitty commercial CDs.

(Side note: ebooks are another type of media whose current formats will probably never fully deprecate.)

I'll stick to buying CDs

Far be it from me to let novel, highly effective technological solutions get in the way of compulsive lizard-brain hoarding. Don't mind me, just trying to save all the world's data from the clutches of obscurity.

Who said anything about hoarding? I'm collecting.

No, you're hoarding. Collectors collect things of value that are probably going to appreciate in value over time. Hoarders collect a bunch of worthless shit that will stay in their lives and homes forever, shitting up the place because nobody else wants to take it.

You're hoarding. I'm collecting.

to me they already are. used a pc with a cd drive the other day and it gave me slight nostalgia.

Collectors collect things they like. It doesn't matter what the fuck it is, it's a collection. Hoarding is holding on to every last thing because you can't bring yourself to part with it.

Yeah, so the old guy with 8,000 coat hangers and every medicine bottle he's ever received is a 'collector' just because he likes them. Okay.

Whatever you say bud. I'll continue enjoying and building my collection. You can't even deny it's collecting, what I'm doing fits the dictionary definition to a tee.
>collection |kəˈlekSH(ə)n|
>noun
>an assembly of items such as works of art