/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards at 1080p are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3rUndzpdo1I?t=10m19s
pcpartpicker.com/list/DKQ2Z8
youtu.be/qTu7ryfKO5E
greyscalegorilla.com/2010/11/12-core-vs-8-core-vs-2-core-cinema-4-render-speed-test/
youtu.be/3rUndzpdo1I?t=1m33s
pcpartpicker.com/list/GLVQM8
eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-7-wraith-max-and-spire-coolers-revealed/
reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/5vj7lm/3_amd_ryzen_coolers_confirmed_wraith_spire_wraith/?st=izhls1ox&sh=0eae8834
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113430
materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1700-140474.html
materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-140473.html
materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-140472.html
awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-eight-core-3.7ghz-processor-socket-am4-with-wraith-cooler-retail.html
awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-cpu-eight-core-3.8ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html
awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu-eight-core-4.0ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html
youtube.com/watch?v=dkCc98makG4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

good ram speed chart, maybe finally people will realize that ram speed is just as important as cpu clocks, and that the cpu can get bottlenecked by the memory, just like the gpu can get bottlenecked by the cpu

so what brand of GTX 1060 6G should i get?

So a Ryzen 1700X and a RX 4800 would be the best combo for streaming games on twitch, right?

Fast RAM is a good reason to get an overclocking board like a Z series, despite the extra expense. Let's say that the extra cost between the Z mobo and the fast RAM is $60. That's about 10% on top of a $600 build, an a lot of those games show about a 10% FPS increase. Also the RAM speed has an even bigger effect with less powerful CPUs, so getting an OC chipset with even a low powered CPU provides noticeable worthwhile benefits from a price/performance perspective.

Not to mention the other benefits to a Z mobo, like a better upgrade path and better turbo.

If you're streaming / making money off AAA games I'd say a 1070 will help keep you at max details and a good framerate

How is this Ryzen build?

You need to wait for benchmarks and figure out whether the B chipset supports XFR. Otherwise that CPU is clocked a little bit low for gaming

the 8G RX model

Actually I don't even think the 1700 supports XFR

Only the processor with the X behind it support XFR. The 1700 is designed to be sold to OEM.

Get at least 500w psu.

So with ryzen out is there any reason to pay for expensive gaming water coolers/noctuas when you can just get a decent overclock on the stock cooler?

Really makes me think about all the money you save with Zen

what RX 480 model then?

>when you can just get a decent overclock on the stock cooler?
1700x and 1800x comes WOF.
1700 comes with Wraith Spire, not Wraith Max (the one that had 212 evo temp). Doubt you're going to get a decent overclock out of it.

not for that cpu, 1700 only sucks up 65 watts

Friendly reminder to not get the i5-6500 over an i5-4690k

Something like $60 less that you can spend on a better motherboard to overclock it with and get better performance

Did AMD say if they were releasing the 1700x without a cooler? I mean, I already have a Cryorig H7, and I would not use the stock cooler.

Preorders on Amazon for the 1700x and 1800x don't have coolers. Just the 1700.

best AM4 mATX mobo?

They didn't, but that's what every retailer from every country is stating.
1700x & 1800x no cooler, 1700 Wraith Spire

We haven't seen much mobo so far.
The cheapest i've seen was a $99 micro-atx one, 6 sata 1 PCIex16 and even a M.2 slot
I'm hoping for lower price to be revealed in the following days.

So Kaby Lake is confirmed blunder of the century, right? Absolutely zero reason to buy it over Skylake?

For desktop where you're capable of overclocking yourself, yes it's pointless.
For laptops, Kaby lake is almost a necessity with the lowered heat output

Higher clock speeds. It's pretty much the same price, there's no reason to not get it desu.

I mean not necessarily. We've seen Cinebench scores for Ryzen, but not any FPS tests, video/audio rendering tests. I still think the Kraby Lake i7 will have greater single-core performance.

I've seen 3 single thread benchmarks over the last few months (one of them is recent), in all of them the 6700 and 7700 win, everybody on Sup Forums said that they were inaccurate and that you shouldn't trust leaks

youtu.be/3rUndzpdo1I?t=10m19s

>rgb stock cooler
AMD won

>video rendering tests
We did see a Handbrake test, running alongside that 8core i7.

so i wanted to build a gaming pc for about $800-$850 and then i heard about the new amd processor ryzen. what price is it going to be at? is it worth waiting for it?

Video rendering has always been to AMDs advantage using every single core together whether or not the cores themselves are good. I mean this is a huge step for the Korean animation slave market.
>audio rendering tests
You can shut up now

OK, so I have a refurbished Dell optiplex 990 with 16 GB of RAM, an Intel i5 2500, and a GTX 560 TI 448. I've been thinking of getting a new case (ATX), and I need recommendations. Also I have a technical question. The motherboard has two pciex16 slots, and my 560 is a lil sluggish (I've still managed to get doom 4 to run at 60 fps tho). Is there anyway to SLI two 560s?
>Inb4 get a better card, I bought the 560 for $50

3 processor releasing 02/03
All 3 have 8 core 16 thread
1700 cost $325, clocked at 3.0GHz with 3.7GHz boost, 65w tdp (comes with wraith spire cooler)
1700x cost $399, clocked at 3.4GHz with 3.8GHz Boost and has XFR (automatic overclocking based on specific cores temp and voltage), 95w TDP comes with no cooler
1800x cost $499, clocked at 3.6GHz with 4.0GHz boost, also has XFR, 95w TDP comes with no cooler

8 core for such a low price is basically a steal, compared to any current offer, but i doubt you're going to manage to fit them in a $850 budget considering the price. Usually you go with $200 processor for this type of budget.

The rest of the Ryzen line (6 cores 12 thread with/without XFR, 4 cores 8 thread with/without XFR) won't come out yet, no announce at all on when they are going to be released. Those would fit your budget more, though.

>is it worth waiting for it?
Considering it releases march 2nd yes, it is worth waiting at least for the NDA to lift to see all the benchmarks coming out all at once providing you with all the information you need on the performance of those processors.

You can get hyperthreaded 8 cores for $100, doesn't mean you should
Wait for Benchmarks

lol

i wish these autistic journalist would stop browsing and talking about this website

kek, he's right though
I wish more of you motherfuckers would actually discuss and build home server stuff.
I've got a dual Xeon workstation that needs to be replaced and a NAS that needs some serious capacity upgrades. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here with that problem.

Also, Mobo is Dell 06D7TR

thanks
does this pc build look good? im probably going drop the ssd for a 1tb hard drive and add a network and sound card

>@omnidestiny

you might have forgotten the link

pcpartpicker.com/list/DKQ2Z8

Looks like you guys got called the fuck out.

>add a network and sound card
No.

why not? i need to connect to my router through wifi. There is no possible way i can connect to it through ethernet .

About the sound card if my monitor has built in speakers i wont need a sound card right?

Yes, that is a pretty good looking build, can't go wrong with it.

i might try and look for a cheaper monitor. Well price drops in general

Yo dudes need help.

So I'm a 3d artist. I use Cinema 4D and Octane (A gpu renderer)

I was just about to buy a new pc but then Ryzen just came out. Currently have 3770k, 16 ddr3 2xgtx 670s

Neverrr had anything amd before.

So, what am I looking at here? Can I just get the gtx1080 and the ddr4 ram I was going to get before and everything will work?

What good motherboards should I look at? I was looking at the asus x99 boards today before

does anyone know of a pci usb card that uses mobo headers?
I'd to add some extra usb ports to my computer, but i dont have any 5.25 bays that I cant use for a front panel expansion sort of thing, so i was wondering if there was perhaps a pci slot card that instead of using the pci-e interface simply got power from like a sata connector or molex and then used an onboard header for the data
I hope this makes sense, i dont really know how to describe it other than this

youtu.be/qTu7ryfKO5E
Did AMD severely underclock the 7700k they had or something?

>About the sound card if my monitor has built in speakers i wont need a sound card right?
Sound card is not for hearing audio, it's for "processing" it. If it's not "processed", your headset or speakers will not be able to broadcast it to you.
It's integrated in the motherboard already. You won't need a Sound Card, you will however need an HDMI cable to transmit the sound (and image at the same time) from your computer to your monitor.

Will connecting my 4 radiator fans via a molex fan splitter to my cpu fan header work? My mobo has a dedicated pump header so I was going to use that with the pump. AIO is a h100iv2.

i would definitely wait. it's only another week or so before we should start seeing 3rd party reviews, and especially for people like you ryzen looks to be one hell of a deal
as for motherboards, we dont really have much to go off of but pictures and basic specs, but im really liking asrock's offerings. The 2 m.2 ports make me moist, and the VRM design looks good

Why don't you take the metal bracket that is on your PC, drill out a USB shaped port, and hook a header to a cable terminating in a USB port

Is that the motherboard where the M2 "shield" was confirmed to make the temps worse?

yeah im going to wait, I can order the 1080 anyway because I can stick it in my current build

>NAS that needs serious capacity upgrades
my nigga, im looking to bump my nas from the 16tb zfs2 ive got now to either 32tb or 48tb later this year, ill have to migrate to another case but im ok with that
also looking to build a dual xeon with some used 2670s, and throw some used server ECC in there too, i do a lot with virtualization so the extra cores and ram would really be nice. Hell ive even played with the idea of using some of the power from those 2 chips and putting my nas and desktop all in one, just running FreeNAS virtualized with pci-e passthrough for a sas board and then just using the rest of the cpu power for everything else
still havent decided though
whatever happened to the home server general? there used to be one almost every day, or at least every few days

thanks

>m.2 shield
i think you're talking about the asus sabertooth? but i have no fucking clue if thats not it
go for it man, idk much about 1080s, i dont need much gpu horsepower and my fury x is more than enough for what i do, but if you're still looking for suggestions i know a couple of guys that have gone with EVGA and they are all super happy with the support and performance. the new ICX cards look awesome. i think you would be fine to go ahead and order the ddr4 but there's talk that memory speeds might significantly affect the performance on the new chips, given the dual channel and all that. so i would wait, but if you order that now order the fastest you can afford

There was this one motherboard Gamers Nexus did an article about where it had this thing of metal that was supposed to "shield" the M.2 drive from heat, though all it did was hotbox the drive.

>Can I just get the gtx1080 and the ddr4 ram I was going to get before and everything will work?
Yes

>So, what am I looking at here?
8 cores 16 thread at $400 performing the same as a $1100 i7 6900k. Professional workload always have benefited a LOT from cores and thread, so Ryzen does look to be the best choice for you right now. I would advise as that other user said to wait for 3rd party benchmark anyway, but every benchmark (both the supervised & non supervised ones) we've seen so far show the performance to be on par with the $1100 i7 6900k if not better.

We did see Cinebench scores, a lot of them in fact (Cinebench is a benchmark based on the very Cinema 4D you use) from various reviewers, look extremely promising and the world record has already been broken by those Ryzen CPU.
Your current CPU has 4 cores 8 thread, the Ryzen CPU coming out in less than two weeks will all offer double that. And Cinema4D scale heavily from both cores and threads, as you can see here:
greyscalegorilla.com/2010/11/12-core-vs-8-core-vs-2-core-cinema-4-render-speed-test/

Ryzen looks very promising for you. NDA will lift during release day, you can't go wrong by waiting so wait and you'll see for yourself all the 3rd party review showing the very same promising results we've seen so far.

I just need cuda cores for my gpu renderer, im gonna keep a 670 and run my monitors of that and just have the 1080 chuggin away! I dont think i even need an sli bridge

fucking boner. Just need to find a good mobo for 150ish

I guess I've never really noticed a need for a home server except as a glorified share folder on network option. Maybe that outs me as someone who has no business being here.

yeah that sounds similar to the idea behind the "armor" on the asus board
as far as i can tell the new asrock boards that have the 2 m.2 slots dont have anything retarded like that on them, and the idea of being able to fit 2 m.2 on the board is really drawing me, that saves space in other areas where an ssd would have to go
i know that isn't a huge deal for a lot of people, but keeping 2 extra sata ports open is a big deal for me, and the bonus of having 2 drives with m.2 performance is awesome
if you just need cuda for the render you might want to look at getting 2 used 980ti, it would be about the same price, maybe a little more than a 1080 but you'll get much better performance
and you wont need an sli bridge, you couldnt even connect those 2 cards to begin with, and beyond that sli is only for gaming afaik. for computer and render projects the way that gpu are viewed is much different than in games

I'm no pc tech, I only have layman level understanding of chip architecture etc so correct me if i'm wrong, but since the 7700k has a higher IPC rate, and it also clearly outperforms intel's octacore processors during gaming, why are people that are gonna use pcs for games getting hyped over ryzen?

I get that some people need 8 cores for graphic design and shit, so ye the price drop from 1100 to 400usd is amazing, but the 7700k is cheaper than ryzen and will most likely outperform it in games. so what's the hype? am i missing something? will octacore be such a must in a few years and ill regret buying a 7700k now?

>Building

>gonna use pcs for games getting hyped over ryzen?
High core count getting mainstream is a huge deal and it means a higher likelyhood of game developpers optimising for it.
Also, because Intel has been jewing the fuck out of them for a decade now. AMD is offering $1100 performance for $400, which is obviously good for any gamer as it will end up having a major impact on the CPU market: either the prices for CPU will lower, or the performance will improve. In anyway, you'll be getting better perf per $.
Ryzen is not just AMD catching up to Intel, it's Intel getting thrown violently to the ground.

>but the 7700k is cheaper than ryzen
7700K is at $330, Ryzen R7 1700 cost $325 and comes close in singlethreaded performance, while having double the core and thread.
DX12 and Vulkan games already see major gains with a higher core and thread count.

Even if a lot of games don't use above 4 cores, it only means that you'll have 4 core entirely free where you can run any demanding app on without affecting your gaming performance at all.

The hype is mostly about it disrupting completely the market and prices.

>comes close in singlethreaded performance, while having double the core and thread

how do you know that? there haven't been benches between the 1700 and the 7700k. doesn't the 7700k have higher ipc?

>Even if a lot of games don't use above 4 cores, it only means that you'll have 4 core entirely free where you can run any demanding app on without affecting your gaming performance at all

so you're saying i couldn't run firefox and a game with 7700k and 16gb ram? i highly doubt that user

dunno, i just might be negatively prejudiced against amd. i have serious precautions against buying their shit, i guess ill have to wait for real game benchmarks and see. what i dread the most is buying a 4core processor for it to become obsolete in 3 years, i'm not rich by any stretch of the word so when i fork 2k on a pc i expect it to be at least mid range in 7yrs or so

The 7700k absolutely smashed both ryzen, the 6800 and the 6900k in single thread performance

also from what i've seen, even the 1800x wont go past 4ghz. ipc aside, how will 3.4 ghz compete with 5ghz in single-core performance?

Suggestions for bang for buck? Never plan on doing SLI, should I get one of those 4/8 core/thread things?

Any suggestions appreciate, built this comp about 3 years ago (760 was a upgrade to a warranty'd 660ti 2 years ago). Served me good for $500but feeling the age, especially once I touched Dying Light.

Was the first comp I built that was completely from scratch.

Ryzen+ RX 480

>also from what i've seen, even the 1800x wont go past 4ghz.
What? 1800x can go up to 4.1GHz with XFR on what the wraith spire cooler.

that's what I'm guessing.

You've seen some bad info then

is that the stock cooler?

do link me some correct info user, i'm not claiming to be an expert or anything i'm just saying what i've read

youtu.be/3rUndzpdo1I?t=1m33s

AMD has 3 stock cooler: Wraith stealth (65w), Wraith spire (95w) and Wraith max (145w)
Wraith spire is bundled with R7 1700
R7 1700x & R7 1800x doesn't come with cooler.
They used their own cooler but it won't actually come with the CPU it was used with.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GLVQM8

Which one would you suggest?

eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-7-wraith-max-and-spire-coolers-revealed/

what you said makes no sense. also, several websites say that the 1800x comes with wraith max

I'm probably going for the 1700.

Those websites are wrong

from informatica cero

>To begin with we see that the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X uses a box in gray with orange and will feature the Wraith Max cooler. This has a TDP of 140W and has a weight of 0.545Kg. Its dimensions are 105mm in length, 108mm in width and 85mm in height.

Well what's your source?

source?

reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/5vj7lm/3_amd_ryzen_coolers_confirmed_wraith_spire_wraith/?st=izhls1ox&sh=0eae8834

literally every single google result for wraith max says it's included with the 1700x and 1800x

Thanks. Any suggestion helps

>Reddit and leaks
I mean I would've figured amd was a reliable source but I guess not

>what you said makes no sense
My sources come directly from retailers.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113430
Says no cooler for 1800x, US

materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1700-140474.html
materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-140473.html
materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-140472.html
Says exactly what i did, FR

awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-eight-core-3.7ghz-processor-socket-am4-with-wraith-cooler-retail.html
awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-cpu-eight-core-3.8ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html
awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu-eight-core-4.0ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html
Also says what i did (though doesn't refer to Wraith Spire but just says Wraith cooler), UK

I'm guessing the wraith max might come in bundles with mobo + cpu + cooler.

says the guy who use to beg people to send him their computer parts so he could build them on stream. he's a fucking tool.
>wow i know how to connect da compoter parts am so kool xDD starcraft 2 tots isnt dead as my career!

What's the point of "clock speed boost" when you can just overclock your CPU?

Are these CPUs made to run optimally at the "boost speed" but just throttle down in most cases to conserve power and produce less heat?

When you overclock a CPU is it constantly running at that speed and doesn't throttle down automatically?

youtube.com/watch?v=dkCc98makG4
Seems like the wooden boxes we've seen are what you'll be receiving if you order a Ryzen bundle

What's the Ryzen equivalent to an i5? R5 1600x?

1600x is 6core 12 thread
Would most likely be an 1400

why would they offer it only for the cheapest model? makes no sense

ah ye you're right, looking closer at the leaks it says cooler for the "multipack" option

Because Intel has the best business model and they're trying to attain that while still seeming like they're "on the buyers side"

is paying 120 euros for cooler and additional 50 for 1700x worth it over the 1700?

i could buy gtx 1080ti instead of 1080 for that money difference