Programming

Dumb question here,
I want to get into programming and coding, where do I start?

(I would've googled this but I prefer the personal response from your narcissistic aggregate)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/open-source-society/computer-science
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources#God-tier_books
learnpythonthehardway.org
reddit.com/r/Python/comments/40s6dm/meta_can_we_take_learn_python_the_hard_way_off/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
youtube.com/watch?v=9TZCnY2H8ac
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you want to pick it up as just a hobby, I'd say start with C, it may be a bit more frustrating at times, but you'll come out with a good fundamental understanding of whats going on under the hood.

I have C Programming a Modern Approach 2nd edition on my bookshelf, but as I'm looking to do the second thing it'll sit there a while.

The second thing is that if you want to get a job with it, and you have some kind of reason to want to do so quickly (i'm looking to get out of construction) Java is the most used language in the work place so starting there would be good.

I got Head First Java 2nd edition that I'm about to start myself as I've heard its a great start for Java.

Pick some kind of project to work on, after you get the basics of the language down. ( recommended C, that's not a bad choice for a first language.) Work on that, then move on to a more complicated one.

Might want to check out Project Euler.

Are you over 25?

Install an editor

don't listen to this retard and his book advice,
best beginner C book is 'pointers on c'

also don't start with C altogether, you won't be able to do anything useful with it for a long time, you will loose motivation, burnout and probably commit suicide.

start with high level language with big existing ecosystem and slow moving pace ie Python

This, you should do Python first before C.
Once you finish it, other programming languages will be easier to understand and that includes C.

This millions of times this.
C requires basic understanding of PC architecture. You will have no clue what is stack/heap, you really don't want to get into that.
Python solves this for you, so you do not need to know about all that junk.

I'm gonna talk in general, I've liked this list

github.com/open-source-society/computer-science

I only have to get around to actually watching some of the videos soon because there are some topics in there I'm braindead about.

Also, books are love and life. PDFs will not do it. Seriously, you'll stash it away for months at a time and when do you get around to it, you won't remember shit.

Video tutorials are hit and miss, you may come across one that may be interactive but doesn't teach you much, or one that'll bore you to death. Trust me, just pay attention to the one that'll bore you. I started Java with a half assed video series that walked you through the IDE but didn't explain anything. I didn't even know what the other primitive types were after "graduating" that thing.

Anyways the Sup Forums wiki's got some "god tier books" you might be interested in after grasping the basics.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources#God-tier_books

m.i.t. opencourseware. basically it let's you audit past lectures and course work of classes for pretty much any subject you can think of. also it's not an m.i.t. exclusive thing, lots of colleges/universities do it. only drawback is you don't get any course credit or anything, it's purely for self betterment

First find what you want to do as a programmer. I started learning about game engines first but there are many other things to do. I started with C++ (really should have started using C) but the C languages are probably the best to start using.

>Head First Java
Pretty much how I started, also friend of mine's first book. We're both jr. devs with unrelated college degrees.

Oh man I loved that book. I picked up Core Java recently to get a deeper understanding about Java and I found this.

You know what they're referring to ;_;

nice dubs there amigo.
First you need not to shower for 3months and proceed from there

java is trash as first language
its verbose, vm, camelcase, naming.isShitty.AsFuckYouMightBeWritingANovelAsWell(), also oop for everything, your mind will be rotten for a lifetime.. to all of you who started with java - my sincere condolences

Oh and also OP, you should read "Learn Python the Hard Way".
Literally the best book to jump into Python with, and it's free without videos.
learnpythonthehardway.org
However if you want to ignore our advice and you feel comfortable going into C, the author also has a book for that too.

Think of something you could automate in your life and make code for it

language you start with doesn't matter, start with one that's beginner friendly cuz more resources, tutorials, etc

>learning Python the hard way

More like learning Python the wrong way

I actually started out with java and only got through 50% of it before my brain turned to mush.

Take my advice OP, stay far the fuck away from Java if you're just starting out.

>"Learn Python the Hard Way"
No.

>leddit

Read this and reconsider

reddit.com/r/Python/comments/40s6dm/meta_can_we_take_learn_python_the_hard_way_off/

There is literally no reason why a beginner should be learning Python 2 over 3 now.

>Python 2
Start with Python 3
Think Python is good

This book really sucks because the author is a real life retard. Start with "Automate the boring stuff"

nick parlante python google class ftw

>centos 7 end of life 2024
>ships with python2
where is your god now

i love nick parlante

codingbat.com

I'm starting with C#

is it any better?

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

I'm learning C now by working through the K&R book. I like how the book is very concise, but it's also a disadvantage for a newbie like me because it doesn't provide in-depth explanations for the concepts being taught.

Javascript. There are tons of tutorials online. W3schools being one of those places. You can even run the examples in your browser without downloading anything.

k&r is a shitty beginner book
read Programming in C or C Programming A Modern Approach

youtube.com/watch?v=9TZCnY2H8ac