What is the Best distribution

I want to use Linux on my desktop PC.
Waht distro can you recommend?

Pic in a way related

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-award-winners-4175599193/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Linux Mint Cinnamon or Mate, Open Suse or Debian. Devuan too. Should we start recommending Devuan to normies?

hownew.ru? Install Gentoo

debian. its the most "free as in freedom" of the popular distributions and doesn't require a meme command line install like arch or gentoo, which you shouldn't even consider if you're such a noob that you have to ask for recommendations

> we
Nah, but you can.

Try fucking mint on KDE or something.

antergos/manjaro with XFCE or KDE

I have used mint and ubuntu so far.

I personally use mandingo.

Look into:
Ubuntu
KDE Neon
openSUSE
Zorin Linux
Linux Mint

avoid:
Kubuntu (KDE Neon is better)
Ubuntu MATE (shit on new hardware, screen tearing)
Lubuntu (much better light OSs exist)
Solus (no apps)
Arch/Gentoo (unless you're a linux 'expert')
Debian/Fedora (not recommended for newbies)

Mint for newbs. It just works.

i recommend windows

Ubuntu from the minimal install iso and installing xfce manually. Literally no bloat and it just works.

the answer is clear
linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-award-winners-4175599193/

>non-rolling release
try Manjaro

No it doesn't. I spent three hours trying to get the audio driver to work, finally gave up and installed ubuntu and everything worked great.

Depends what you want to do with it. I like Fedora for a development machine, Ubuntu for just general computering, and Arch for when I'm feeling extra autistic. Asking best Linux Distro is like asking best car.

Voyager.

Ubuntu and all those it-just-werks distro should not be recommended unless specifically asked for. Debian (and forks), arch and even slackware should be pushed so people can actually learn about their OS and the shell.

Hannah Montana Linux

good day to you sir! well marked.

>install kevin

What do you use your desktop for?

Also: -- Find current and hand in a couple those for a week or two.

start with ubuntu as a noob
not because of anything particular to the distro but because their forums are noob friendly

aftewards switch to debian which is basically an adult ubuntu without the hand-holding

if you're autistic you can then switch to arch, which gives you the privilege of installing everything from scratch yourself

in terms of desktop environments, xfce and kde are the 2 main non-shit options

I agree with all of this except xfce is objectively superior to all other DEs.

>2017
>not having integrated file search

also their keybinding system is shit

I personally use KDE Neon. It is based off of Ubuntu LTS so it's pretty stable but it has the most up to date KDE experience. Avoid kubuntu like the plague. It is a buggy mess.

There is no such thing. People need to stop asking this question - the answer may as well be; they're all the same, or; they're all totally different.

If you don't use SUSE... YOU A LOOSA!

My server runs Lubuntu because I occasionally treat it as a media server for movies in the couch. What would be a better alternative, then? 8gigs of RAM with a Pentium dualcore at 3ghz.

Manjaro

Debian, CentOS

>tfw the only slackware OS I've used is Porteus
Why even recommend this?

I know a fair share of computer shit, and I couldn't get arch to work. It is absolutely impossible to install alone if you don't have a us keyboard it becomes much harder. Imo, slap a gui onto arch and I'd be happy. I just dont want to fuck about with command line

Linux needs to get back to 1% market share. Normies get out, reee.

>Install Gentoo
Just do it

>OpenSUSE
Can't even have common media codecs because muh OSS only philosophy, into the trashcan it goes

Did we really need a thread for this, cmon "best beginner Linux distro" must have a thousand articles and top 5 lists written on it.