Is English hard to learn? How long did it take you to learn English?

Is English hard to learn? How long did it take you to learn English?

Other urls found in this thread:

faz.net/aktuell/politik/die-gegenwart/zerfaellt-europa-4-eine-atempause-fuer-europa-14108904.html
vocaroo.com/i/s0ev1yi3LZjS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

About 18 years. Still learning. Fucking huge vocabulary.

Not at all, it's easy as piss. Hence why retarded Americans are able to speak it. Writing on the other hand, well that's a different story.

No. A summer.

English is by far the easiest language to learn, as a native Germanic speaker. Probably as a native Romance speaker as well.
It is way easier than Dutch or German.

Easy.
6 months of playing Ultima Online day and night 13 years ago.

it's easy

I haven't finished learning it, I still suck at it but I'm getting more good each month that passes, I guess.

more good=better

English as a second language is easy to learn since the widespread use of it encourages a tolerance for spelling and grammatical errors

How are you learning English? Are you taking classes, or going online?

Are you implying that "better" is the grammatically correct way of writing it, or that both are correct but "better" sounds less weird (or retarded)??

Yeah, it's supposed to be "better", "more good" is not correct. Was just correcting because you said you were still learning the lanuage.

more good is grammatically incorrect.

Just learning it by myself, that's why I like to come here and chat with people in English. I could go to classes, hell my friends have been in them for like only 7 months and they're already fluid in it, but I like to learn things just by myself. It's kinda fun.

"Better" is the grammatically correct usage

How do you go about learning it yourself? Do you just go onto English websites and try to translate it?

Thanks for correcting me then

> they're already fluid
The word you're looking for is fluent

I first started with duolingo, I already knew some basic stuff, you know, the basic things that teach you in school, but yeah If I don't understand a word then I translate it with Google traductor and after that the word just carve itself into my brain and I never forget it.

I actually knew that was the correct word but I have a HTC phone and the predictive keyboard of this shit doesn't work at all and it changes words that are correct sometimes

Not very hard, aside of understanding native speakers when they start talking very fast.

But to be fair, I had english classes in school for 10 years, so maybe it's not easy, but I had enough exposure. I'm still learning and trying to improve.

Ok, because I'm half Puerto Rican, but I don't speak Spanish so I'm trying to learn. I'm currently using duolingo, but I'm trying to find some more practice.

how long does it take to complete the mass effect trilogy?

I was always good despite our shitty english classes because I learned quicker than most of the others (inb4 fedora)
But I made the most progress the last 2 years because I become a NEET and started spending most of my time online. So I watched hundreds of movies and shows in English and now I can understand pretty much anything written or spoken (granted there isn't a purposely strong accent). I can talk or write well enough too, but I have a shitty accent because I didn't speak to anybody. I'm confident a few months in an English speaking country would cure that tho

lurking on int a couple of years..

Like hella long

You should watch movies in Spanish (with English subtitles, of course), that helps a lot, too.

Holy fucking shit, without any classes or anything? That's impressive, given how different Japanese is from English. Can you speak fluently too, or just read and write?

>granted there isn't a purposely strong accent
This always makes me wonder, aside from incredibly pronounced accents (American Southern for example), what does a general English accent sound like? Either English or American English.

From easy to hard: Spanish > Portuguese > Italian > Swedish > English > Dutch > German > French

In the Netherlands we start getting English in school around the age of 10. But by then I already knew some English. I learned it through watching tv and playing video games I guess. And around 12 I started chatting online as well. I can't remember having any difficulties with it so I don't know how long it took to learn it. In my experience I was always ahead of the study books and could always just fill everything in. So I assume I was fluent around 14 or 15 years old.

We get English in school for 6 to 8 years, depending on your educational level.

>implying Kenshiro-kun here can speak or read English any better than the average anime highschooler

Took me about 4 - 5 years to learn everything fully, but I got the basics down in 2 years I guess. I played shitloads if Runescape when I was 12 - 16

>easiest language to learn was French
Same experience here actually, everyone in America says French is hard but it's really simple, our languages are like 75% compatible. I took 5 years or so of French in middle and highschool and by then I could read or speak pretty fluently. Comprehending fast French speakers was really hard though.

I wouldn't know how to describe them, but I usually find American English faster than the British one, and more "nasal". That's just a feeling tho, I'm aware there isn't only one American accent and one British. Also I often can't tell them appart, I've heard people speaking and thought they were Scottish and turned out they were Australians

I meant Spanish is easy and French is hard. The French vocabulary is not that hard to learn, but forming correct sentences can be. At least it was for me.
While with Spanish you don't have to take much into account.

> Fucking huge vocabulary.

Any language has fucking huge vocabulary, but it consists of much slang, seldom and archaic words, and even educated natives usualy know about half of total vocablury. The vocublary size for comfort communication is about 10 000 - 20 000 words in any language.

I moved here when I was about 13. I think I was pretty good in a few months. I already knew the alphabet from taking French in school, however.

Where were you born then?

Belarus.

I imagine most European who are """fluent""" in English because they read, listen, and submit to a lot of American media, have terrible accents or can't speak English for shit. I am probably right too, judging by the vocaroo threads.

Oh, well excuse me for misreading and accidentally shitting on your efforts in learning.

I don't get what you mean about forming sentences to be hard, but that's probably because going from English to French just involves reversing your Adjective/Noun order.

That's what happens when all you do is read English and barely speak it IRL.

Yeah probably, don't get cocky tho you had it the easy way

>I've heard people speaking and thought they were Scottish and turned out they were Australians
Nobody can figure out aussies, to be fair. I remember back in 2001 when the game Halo came out, there was an australian character voiced by an australian man that aussies called out as sounding fake.

Europeans have terrible accents because most simply don't bother with even trying to put up a proper accent.
It also wouldn't surprise me if English would be the hardest west-european language to pronounce correctly.
Everything I use a proper English accent I feel like have to twist my mouth in awkward ways. I never had that problem with Spanish, French or German.

>you had it the easy way
You say that, but fluent english speakers are almost as rare here as in Europe

t. Southerner who literally cannot understand anyone with a pronounced American accent

*Everytime

Thats partly true, I write and read a lot, but I barely speak english, last week was an exemption. Kind of ironic since I also know russian, but I cant even write it and my reading levels are shit.

*Every time

You want "exception." "Exemption" is when you must do something, but are excused from doing it.

English involves opening and moving the mouth a lot more than French or the other Romance languages, so you may be right. I remember when I first started learning French how I barely had to open my mouth to pronounce most things.

So are you fluent if you can produce language in your head and comprehend it, but cant spit it out? A lot of Europeans I find are too timid to make mistakes and refuse to speak English. In Germany that is common for me so I am able to speak German everywhere. I don't have an American accent; they just told me they could kinda tell I am a foreigner like from Scandinavia.

He was likely exaggerating his accent for the game

I learn it since muh mama told me how to say "poo in the loo" and i still suck at the engrish. even commies, indian indias, and and taiwanese flips speak better england than moi. what do? singapoor so poor at everything.

as a spanish speaker I would say that the pronunciation is the only hard thing because you guys create sound like crazy

nah, we have mandatory english classes in japan. but english was my least favorite subject to which i had never really committed, and then i came to know Sup Forums and started thinking i wanted to learn english to shitpost.

hello engrish teatcher pls rape muh england.

With Dutch you also tend to speak with the back of your mouth.

No, he wasn't, he was just a bit part for nameless generic soldiers. In fact the devs actually brought him back again and again because the character's voice became something of an in-joke due to all the outcry.
Aussies are just crazy

>Everything I use a proper English accent I feel like have to twist my mouth in awkward ways.
This. I barely need to open my mouth to speak Finnish and everything is just one long aa oo uu ee with a few consonant thrown in there and there, so I don't get tired speaking. English, however, starts to hurt my throat after five minutes. Then again that might be because I need to speak it for an extended duration maybe only once or twice a month, so I don't practice those muscles.

If you look at Kimi Räikkönen's interviews he barely opens his mouth.

This comment made me realize how everyone else sounds really one-note to me, as an English speaker. Like, every speaker of X language has one general tone to their voice, and it's different for each language.
I thought that was how everyone heard every language, but maybe English is really weirdly varied and broken sounding.

Anglos have highly trained mouth moving muscles we lack. :^)

What did he mean by this

How big was the learning curve? I can't imagine learning Japanese

>frogman pretends to not have experience pounding back cocks
O I am laffin

Post mouth with banananna , user.

>banananna

He's not used to moving his mouth so much user, no bully

Banaani on kyl aika nannaa, harmi et ei oo just nyt yhtään.

yes
since the school i went to was shit, i am still learning it

Would love to hear that. All Americans I heard speaking German so far had at least a tiny fraction of an accent in their style which makes it really easy to tell them apart, even after years of living here.
Probably the best examples for that are all those Youtubers from the States living here.

it's very easy.

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHA………………………………

>mfw I hear Gwen Stefani every time I have to spell "banana".

Japan, buddy
Don't try to do sarcasm, okay?

Give me some text to read aloud.

Took me about a year and a half. I mastered it in 5 years. All this while I was a fucking baby, if you can't learn as an adult then you're a loser lmao.

I bet you had a private tutor or two.

Children are well known to learn language way faster than adults though, you mong. Like, that's language education 101.
I had a friend who was a transfer student from France in 6th grade who went from 0 english to nearly fluent in 1 year.

Holy shit I'm not the only one.

baby brains are like peas bro adult brains are much larger. If little pea brain can learn English so can you.

(From the German Newspaper F.A.Z)
"Der vormalige Berliner Finanzsenator Thilo Sarrazin (SPD) sieht die Europäische Union am Scheideweg. Im Schengen-Raum habe es dreißig Jahre gedauert, ehe der Zustrom von Migranten dessen Konstruktionsmängel sichtbar gemacht habe, die Schwächen der Währungsunion traten schon nach zehn Jahren zutage, schreibt Sarrazin in einem Beitrag für die „Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung“ (Montag-Ausgabe)."

top kek, Dutchy.

I knew two Venezuan students who lived here. And they were fluent in Dutch in 9 months or so. They could just do their school work in Dutch and understood everything.

Although they made some funny mistakes sometimes, like calling the end exam the 'final exam'. Literally who does that?

learnt basics from runescape

I'm from Alabama and I have to say just on the off-chance you're not joking

Read a book you goddamn nigger

>Teen
>Teeen

Obviously the wording doesn't translate perfectly, but we call them final exams here, or just "finals"
Just a neat coincidence

english has lot of Fucking useless vocabulary.

for example.
Large
big
giant
huge

all of such a thing can say big.

holy shit, just seeing how ugly it looks when opened on Computer.
Fuck you mobile version of Sup Forums.
The whole article is here in case you have serious trouble with my texts formatting.
faz.net/aktuell/politik/die-gegenwart/zerfaellt-europa-4-eine-atempause-fuer-europa-14108904.html

>ten
>teen
>teeen

Friendly reminder those girls' job is to be dumb as a stump and kawaii uguuuuu~

we can't speek english forever (;∀;)b

>Ten
>>Teen
>>Teeen
That actually makes some sense

Keep talking, this is hilarious.

Large/Big and Giant/Huge are distinct though.
I hate this "lol english has redundant words" because EVERY LANGUAGE DOES. English's vocabulary complexity comes from how words don't follow their own rules and the fact that context often means more than the literal wording of any given sentence.

vocaroo.com/i/s0ev1yi3LZjS

It might be a little loud. It has also been a while. Living in Texas, you don't meet many German speakers.

Learning to write english properly is an absolutely brutal skill to learn and really like learning an entire new language. I'd say 75% of native speakers cant write a full paragraph without making an error.

Everyone is just really tolerant of poor written english because of it difficult though, and unless you are writing for a newspaper or something nobody cares.

I can't imagine the literature without these words. It sounds very poor.