/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

>Last time in /sqt/
Ask stupid questions about things you're too dumb to Google®.

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/theguide/files/winguide/2.0/
youtube.com/watch?v=54Ps1S9aTTg
github.com/uWebSockets/uWebSockets
tutorialcup.com/cplusplus/inheritance.htm
www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/programming/java/J3a_OOPBasics.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Chromium or Firefox? How much of a botnet is Chromium really?

Any tips for someone starting CS next month? I've been using Linux for two years and I already know the basics of Python/C (I only know how to code simple scripts).

Should getters and setters be used even when in the same class as the variable you want to use?

Or should they only be needed when calling a class's variable from outside the class, and when in that class you should call the variables normally?

They both use some non libre stuff, but chromium has a history of crossing some uncomfortable lines with how much it communicates with google. Also its windows version has no automatic updates. Chrome is the defacto browser if you absolutely want to make sure none of your webpages are fucking up because of browser compatibility, but you lose that assurance when you run chromium, so you might as well go FF.

I have about $500 to spare on a workstation. Ebay wants me to get a z800 with 2 X5650's and 48G RAM. Am I about to get raped or should I pull the trigger?

Im looking for a program that can replace notepad, which have a treeview or something similar that i have all my notes saved.
Similar to evernote but without all the useless features, more minimal and offline only.
Somewhere i can save passwords etc.

Anyone got suggestions?

Go look up the basic data structures (array, linked list, queue, tree, stack), some object oriented programming concepts (classes, objects, inheritance). Look up pointers and try and actually understand what they are (they aren't particularly difficult to grasp on a general level, but you probably won't understand why they're useful for quite a while.)

Maybe look up some general algorithms as well, probably some sorting ones like bubble sort, selection sort, binary sort. No need to memorise them or anything like that, just see if you can understand what's going on.

Don't worry too much, you'll learn all this shit on your course, but having a general understanding should help you to not feel overwhelmed.

>Should getters and setters be used even when in the same class as the variable you want to use?
sure, why not. besides, that's the whole point of encapsulation. you hide data fields, normally declared private anyways, behind public methods.

Is a gtx 1080 too overkill for 1080p? I've never been to bothered all that much by visuals but choppy low frame rates bother the shit out of me. Would a 1080 be able to maintain 120+FPS on most games on a 1440p display or perhaps a gtx 1070 would suffice for 1080p?

I'll probably be a poor student in the next few years so 1080/1080 seems liked like a good idea.

Thoughts?

Why two power hungry CPUs from seven years ago? Wouldn't it be better to get something current?

1070 is most likely going to be fine for the next 2 generations of gpus for 1080p gaming.

Anything comparable/decent workstation that you'd suggest? I have no brand loyalties.

I have a system with ipv6 only connectivity.
Is it possible to ssh to that system from an ipv4 only connection?

my computers been running exceptionally shitty recently. What can I do to speed it up? The mother disk has 18GiB of space left, but that shouldnt be whats slowing it down right? SSD. Decent specs (8350, 16gb, 7990).

Could it be a virus? Idk

Why does it need to be a "workstation"? What's your use case?

Format and install preferred OS again

Check your running processes and google anything that looks suspicious and is using a lot of CPU/RAM

Notepad++

Thats the thing, only 15% of cpu and ram are being used max.

impossible, theres like 140GB of programmes as well as dependencies on 3 other discs.

Are Amazon Basics batteries alright? Has anyone ever used them? Not too picky, just need them for remotes and a couple game controllers, I just don't want them to be complete garbage that leak.

I work at a desk job, and I'd like to install an application on the computer but it is protected by an admin account. Anyway to bypass the exe installation without having to run it like a zipped file?

I need a cheap laptop that can handle a fair amount of open stuff (like a fair few pages of cocde and a web browser). Quality is a big thing for me, but not autistically. Are pentium / celeron laptops (new ones) good?

Get some LSD NiMHs for game controllers.

Btw, Windows 7 64-Bit

If you need software to perform your job, contact the administrator.

I was about to do that, but then I saw that a 4 pack of them is about as much as a 48 pack of regular batteries. Which of course, they're rechargeable, but then I questioned if I'd ever even use 48 batteries in the controllers anyway. The Wii Remote is just because I'm replaying Zeldas right now and the PC controller only gets used here and there for action/adventure games and such. Still gonna consider it though, I like having rechargeable controllers.

portable. Or boot into a live usb.

Also, what id give for a deskjob where i dont have to do much.

A lot of VMs. It'll almost be used as a server (always on). Some programming and no games. My only computer for the past 5 years has been an X220t.

Does holding the power button have the same effect as removing the motherboard battery to clear cmos?

The CIA is stalking me, what do I do?

lm fuvcking no. power button turns pc off, cmos acts indepenetly of it. if this is happenin to you youve got a dead battery

kill that nigger

sourceforge.net/projects/theguide/files/winguide/2.0/

I've been stuck on this for too long.
My Odroid C2 with aarch64 refuses to play m4a ALAC using gstreamer.
Everything else works fine, all gstreamer-plugins are installed, but it just won't play, and I need it for getting mopidy to work.

What the fuck am I missing?

how to hack a facebook without using keyloggers or xploits?

Nevermind, fixed :^)

People can tell you're the kind of creep who would do that. It's why you're alone.

youtube.com/watch?v=54Ps1S9aTTg

Good price?

Try to negotiate for 140 and it should be good

Isnt there some trick where you make a backup of the image, then format, then copy the data back?

What's a good alternative to google DNS? It has been really shit lately.

see if theres a virus thats a terrible idea.

ok i guess, but
>2GB RAM

All the torrents from qbittorrent are showing as 0% and when I click resume it just downloads the file all over again even when I already have the existing file in the folder
What's the problem here?

Your ISP

How can I bypass this error using Youtube-dl

ERROR: YouTube said: This video is available in United States only

It's actually worse

celerons only support 2 GB. interestingly atoms support 2.5

Best/most cozy IDE for Python?

What makes you think it's your DNS? Google is about as good as they come from a reliability standpoint

How do you call a method from a class while inside another method in another class?
class Car {

public String someMeth() {
return "hel";
}
}

class Truck {

public String callMeth() {
return this.someMeth();
}
}

Why can't Truck call someMeth()?

Download from a U.S. IP address. That's the only way it will be served to you.

I have my PC set up to a 5.1 A/V receiver. Recently I've noticed that at high volumes, there's some very quiet noise underneath whatever sounds I'm playing. I'm using a Creative brand PCI express sound card.

It's much worse when my GPU is active such as while playing WoW. However, I figured it was because I was using analog outputs and figured that this was electrical noise, but when I use an encoder like DTS Live, the signal that reaches my receiver includes this noise.

Is there any hope for getting rid of the noise, or should I just learn to live with it? I can use stereo over optical, but occasionally I would like to listen to 5.1 sources.

qbittorrent is bugged as fucked. deluge has an issue where it stops. transmission is alright. utorrent 2.2.1 is master race

>from the previous thread
I have a problem with the shortcuts. One day I have reinstalled Windows 7 on my laptop, and every time I press F1-F12 keys, they don't work. They'll need Fn key too, which fucking sucks. Every time I press F4 key and alt+F4, it switches monitors. I have Intel [R] HD Graphics (no thousands) GPU.

>couple days ago, can't connect to normiebook
>change DNS on pc to openDNS
>connects fine
>still can't connect from phone that is using Google dns from the router.

But openDNS looks like a botnet as well.. Since I'm switching from Google I might as well go for the best option possible. I just don't know what that is.

Firefox's flash player detects my camera and microphone but Opera's does not. Why would this be?

Do Japanese smartphones work with Verizon??

I've got a Corsair H75 that works but for some reason the pump won't turn on if I have it connected to the CPU_FAN header or the SYS_FAN header, it only works when connected to the W_PUMP header which is the dedicated pump header.

I have no idea why when it should work on all 3.

Ah shit, I don't into proxies. I thought there'd be a neat line that would sort it out.

Thanks user

For some reason Flash always crashes in FireFox. Anyone else have this problem? I used adobe's troubleshooting shit and none of it worked.

What is the best websocket server for C++?

Are you on Windows 10? Maybe permissions aren't set?

Can somebody please help me?
Is graphics card helpful for non gaming purposes too?
Linux doesn't have driver support for my Radeon Graphic card.
My CPU usage jumps to 40 % on use of FF.
Am I hurting my computer by using it without a graphics card?

Is the build quality of HP laptops still terrible? I know it was awful during the look-at-that-face-years, but is it acceptable now?

HP is like half the price of the competition, they have to be cheaping out like crazy on quality right?

What is your graphics card model #?

>cropped
yo why would you do this
would this please you github.com/uWebSockets/uWebSockets

I think what you're looking for is inheritance.

tutorialcup.com/cplusplus/inheritance.htm

>Is graphics card helpful for non gaming purposes too?
yes
>Linux doesn't have driver support for my Radeon Graphic card.
yes it does
>My CPU usage jumps to 40 % on use of FF.
>Am I hurting my computer by using it without a graphics card?
16 year old leave please

the lower end models are absolute trash. like theyve always had shit build but comparing it to my 2002 and 2007 hps, its even worse (trending down). their top of the line ones are alright but not worth the price or money. I think theyre targeting 50 year old rich women with them.

Your CPU does that because it's Firefox running present day web shit stacks. Using a CPU does not damage it. They're specifically designed to not self destruct when used. A GPU card is needed only if you want more monitors.

How many drives would I need on my NAS to saturate a 40Gb/s infiniband connection?

This pleases me. Thank you.

The artist's e621 tag is trout_(artist)

If you find a refurbished enterprise model, like ProBook or EliteBook, they're good. Not worthwhile new. Their other stuff is not good as far as I've seen.

What's a NAS?

awesome

So there's no way of doing it without inheritance?
Basically I want to call a method to start combat in the Combat class, but I need information about the character(s) which are obviously in the Character class.
I thought the point of getters and setters and public methods in general was that those were the interfaces for other classes?

Network Attached Storage.

Usually in home configurations, a low-end PC running all your spare hard drives and sharing files over a network.

In order to call any non-static non-global function, you need a reference to the object you want to call the function of.

If you want your your combat class to have access to your characters, pass them to whatever function you'd like.

void doCombat(Character c1, Character c2) {
c2.setHealth(c2.getHealth() - c1.getDamage());
}

Sup Sup Forums.

I have some motherboard that I fucking broke by flashing a modded BIOS like a retard. Thing is, the bios chip ain't soldered to it, can be easily extracted and put back in.

If I buy an already programmed chip from eBay, do you think I could work around the issue? Or can bios flashing damage something else?

It's fucked. BIOS flashing can damage a lot of things.

about 5 per Gb, so 200.

Maybe closer to 20 if they're all SSD. But really, you're going to bump the limit of your PCIe bus before you saturate a 40gb switch.

So for functional concepts like combat, would it be better to make the whole class static?

No. What would make sense is having a CombatResolver that has functions capable of resolving fights. You make one of these combat resolvers in your surrounding game class (or whatever you have controlling the program). Heck, if you really, really want to be able to globally refer to it, you can always make an instance of that class global.

so you're saying the keys don't even work when you ARE holding Fn?

Anybody know a good simulater for Arduino Uno r3?

Press FN-numlock or FN-F9 or FN-caps lock.

Isnt the speed of a single HDD enough to saturate 1 Gb?

>Youtube videos not loading at all or buffering forever
>Literally everything else works fine, can watch Twitch streams in 1080p
My ISP is doing some bullshit, aren't they?

chrome://net-internals/#export

Click the arrow at the top right of the screen and select "clear cache".

So would this CombatResolver be essentially another class in the same file as the main class?
And what would be the limitation/downside to making a class that handles combat static in all regards?

Still getting my head around how to properly structure projects like this.

eh, maybe right around that, if the speeds I saw were megabytes and not megabits. You'd still need 40 HDD to saturate the switch.

Tried that many times, reinstalled Chrome, tried other browsers, checked if Flash was up to date, etc.
As I said every other streaming or video on demand site works fine, it's just YouTube, and it started yesterday all of a sudden.

It would not be in the same file. Typically you want ONE class per file. If you want to use a class in a different file, just include the file.

Read this, it explains basic OO design.
www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/programming/java/J3a_OOPBasics.html

I reset my PC, and told it to remove everything, but it's saying it couldn't remove my personal files.

I reset it because I had a feeling I might have gotten a virus, is it possible it could still be there even after I reset? Because it didn't delete my personal files.

Thanks.

Are you using Google DNS? If not, use Google DNS. It may also just be a problem with your nearest Youtube cluster/host.

Define "reset".

Used Windows Reset PC.

I think it's the new system restore, but it gives you the option to keep personal files and only restore the OS. I chose to restore the whole shebang.

There's a good chance it killed the virus, but why not get a good scanner like Avast or something just to make sure?

I will, thanks.