/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

azfinetime.com/grand-seiko-quartz-sbgx059/
youtube.com/watch?v=GzmrhnpQJxY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's /wt/s opinion on dressy chronos?

>Old
>Swiss

Is this worth anything?

Paid £8 from a charity shop

I want to buy a vostok. What do I need to know?

Another Zenith, these can be had quite cheap

not really

There's 3 or 4 good sellers on eBay, I used shmek, quick response and shipment

Your favorite desert kike is still kicking, just barely though.

Will take some pics of the new arrivals soon enough.

Pretty simple really.

Buying new shouldn't be an issue in terms of it being franken, though beware of QC issues. Might need to adjust it yourself as well, but it isn't too hard. The two new Amphibia's i had both ran at +5sec per day after regulation.

Buying vintage is a different story, lot's of research on if you're buying a franken or not, whether it's a survivor or some kind of rape child. Consult here or with the WUS autists beforehand.

Sent post too quick.

Was meant to add other than that they are reliable beaters that shouldn't need servicing ever 6l(I've read that komandirskies were made as 10 year disposable watches)

A good cheap watch that no normal fag has heard of or will ever compliment. But who cares? They just werk and you can hear them tick.

For the guy whose casual wear is a blazer, or at least sport jacket, sure.

Thanks to the 1963 for your reply. Here (You)

Do manual winds do best winding once per day?

Dressy chronos send a weird message. What is it you need to time?

"I really liked the best man's speech!"
"Yeah but he went 49 seconds too long."

"What did you think of the boss's meeting?"
"Not a bad concept but he talked way too much. Look! The whole thing took him 23 minutes and 31 seconds."

The difference between once a day and multiple times a day is small and the exact effect will depend how it's regulated. More wound means a watch will run slightly faster than less wound.

So let's say you're winding in morning and evening, and the watch is running fast overall, you could try just once a day and see how it effects the running

Kek, but timing that kinda shit is pretty funny. And you get a free pass doing it on your watch as opposed to using your phone like a nerd.

Timing parts of meetings could be useful. Need to apply the 80-20 rule, and if you're trying to identify time wasters it's good to know how long things are actually taking.

anyone own a luminox?

I'm sure someone does somewhere

what a fucking comfy monster

thanks...

You asked

>Buy Miyota 8215 to play with
>disassembly was ez pz
>assembly doesn't seem too bad until this point

Having extreme difficulty fitting the bridge on and aligning it with all 4 wheels.

Should I buy a quartz Grand Seiko?

Yes

Yes.

Which one you thinking ?

Probably worth more than what you paid for it, neat that it has an antimagnetic movement, but no, this is not a find worth thousands of pounds.

If you're a lawyer, or an accountant like me, or really anyone who slaves away at a living by selling their time, a chronograph can be really useful for keeping track of time spent on all kinds of little bullshit. Dress chronos fit well into an office setting, but really any kind of chronograph will do.

(You)

Whats wrong with that?

A quartz grand seiko is upwards of $2.5k and it has no business being that price.

It's not got a complicated hand built movement it's just quartz. And it don't matter how good the case finish is it's still steel and not precious metal.

lol

lol the quartz movement in the GS isn't some cheap movement.

Depends. I own one, but I'll admit I find most quartz Grand Seiko dials to be a little sterile. Pictured is mine, which I wouldn't have gotten if it didn't have the bit of extra red on the dial and wasn't one of the few non-diver Grand Seikos with lume.

And it's still quartz

>accurate to 10s a year
>50 years between servicing
>adjusts to temperature 500 times a day
>custom grown quartz

Plus all the finishing & Gs Name

>adjusts to temperature 500 times a day

That's gonna be useful in an office kept at a constant 22 degrees.

First for beat up shitter. The Victorinox isnt mine, but i like the size. This guy also has a nomos

Grand Seiko is the ultimate rich mans watch.

It's saying "yeah I spent $5,000 on a watch but I want everyone to think I'm just wearing a $10 seiko from the thrift store".

Do you ever go home. Or leave the office. Or have a beam of sunlight hit your arm.

Quartz is very bad with fluctuating temps.

Why would you waste time making a high accuracy quartz movement when you can just have it sync to a timing signal broadcast?

They also cost downward of 2.5k

Where are you getting this fucking number? Even full MSRP GS quartz can be like 2.1 for sbgx059 and normal models, and after discount or gray market you can get around 1.7k or something.

50 years theoretical oil life. You should get it checked out more than twice a century though.

>Where are you getting this fucking number?

An online Seiko boutique then converting to dollaridoos

GPS antenna watches are still very big. And atomic watches can only sync to so many signals. So many places never have a signal. Like you can't even make this arguement to an Australian or Brazilian.

And it's cool to push the timekeeping of the wrist as fast as you can go too.

Here's an authorized dealer of grand seiko listing a full MSRP GS

azfinetime.com/grand-seiko-quartz-sbgx059/

But I'm sure you can still get some off, even from them. But yeah, much less gray market.

Do Accutron watches have any horological worth?

They're quartz but the second hand is constantly in motion instead of beating

It still is beating just very fast. The old space view is pretty cool historically. I bought a new accutron ii and returned it becAuse it felt so cheap

If you mean the old ones, they do, and they're not quartz

What is the gay market for gs quartz?

No the new ones

Original spaceview is a watch for ants

The hand beats. Just fast.

Your father.

I didn't think quartz needed servicing?

I've got my dad's 1982 Seiko SQ and it still works. Gains a few seconds a week

The new one is 43mm or something and has terrible case design.

Fuck you nineball i said it first

>I didn't think quartz needed servicing?
>Gains a few seconds a week

There are mechanical watches from the 80s that have never been serviced but still work.

But like your father's watch, continuing on when oil dried up long ago means they are grinding to dust slowly on the inside

How do people actually keep track of like a two second gain? Hell at most I try to match the minute

After 35 years it's still an order of magnitude more accurate than a decent mechanical watch. Seems pretty good to me.

Generally by looking at a computer that uses NTP

Atomic synced wall clock

Autism

But accuracy between quartz and mechanical isn't up for debate. That's not the problem here, so don't try that. Point is it shouldn't be losing that much time per week

>Losing

>not just opening your watch and spraying in some wd40

do watches gain time when you're having fun?

Poor fag college student reporting in.

Looking for another watch in the 150-200$ price range. Any recs?

just buy a watch with blood diamonds in it and pour in liberal tear gun lube.

what is the problem user, anything i can help you with?

>I'm a complete pleb with no appreciation for horology

Good to know.

This is the board that shits on anything with quartz cause "muh mechanical, its just quartz!"

>not planning a wedding to the second

It's like you don't want to get married.

So? It's a nice watch. I got a 214 myself.

I may not have enough time these days to be around as much as I'd like, but I really wanted to share this:

youtube.com/watch?v=GzmrhnpQJxY

Enjoy it my friends.
And comment, if you can.

Cheers.

>open invicta
>get the battery screw lose
>the little clamp flings it across my desk somewhere
welp.

Hi Lawyeranon

When did you start collecting watches?
How often do you purchase them, and what are the criteria?

Best luck

Would it be possible to get a running WW2 Era german watch for $500?

are you familiar with this feel, nineball?

man i like the nezumi voiture, it's 40mm, thin and has a nice case design

too bad it's fuckin 400 euros for a mecha-quartz

And nothing of value was lost

There's also the fact the dial says "quarts" which is kind of a turn off.

Oh yeah, it's the story of my life. Tiny screws, tiny springs, tiny bars. Everything seems under control until it fucking ZIP! It flies the fuck away. And there's usually no way to tell where it went.

Next half hour crawling around looking for something the size of a louse in the carpet, in grass, on concrete, whatever. And sometimes it just fucking disappears. You find it a week later down the hall from the room you were in. It must have had a spin and fucking curved down the god damn hallway an extra 10 feet.

that and the hands are kinda short

apparently nezumi is gonna start making more watches, like an automatic version of voiture so maybe those issues will be fixed in that one

>no terrorist

Are there any vintage style chronos for cheap based on the seagull st19 that arent the 1963? Around 200 euro

I'd like a racing or pulsemeter

I gave up quickly cause my place is a mess

Clean your place.

Get a robot vacuum to help. These things are fucking great.

Living that cyberpunk life of being close to a landfill

Are they actually not a joke?

I have the Neato robots. They work great. They go from hard surfaces to carpets or rugs without issue.

Some day we'll even have a robot that can vacuum stairs.

i think you're thinking of wifi controlled lightswitches

>vacuuming

>want a black bay homage

Option 1: mod an invicta 8926 I already have

Option 2: build a completely new watch out of chink parts and a cloned eta 2824 movement.

Option 1 is cheaper but option 2 means I have more watches

Why would you want that? You walk by switches when you enter the room

Sorry i thought that's what you were talking about

>tfw no Tornek-Rayville TR900

Did they throw that one under a lawnmower to test it out

old 60s navy watches. So probably a boat propeller

Excellent

?

Orient Bambino