/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/LTb9XH
pcpartpicker.com/list/wWCkRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/DKQ2Z8
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/4b7bGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/jpQJqk.
pcpartpicker.com/list/jpQJqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/NJNCqk
pcpartpicker.com/user/XMorbius/saved/Ny6XLk
logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZJKbGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/9MnDf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/VyhdtJ
pcpartpicker.com/product/2kTrxr/phanteks-case-phes215pbk
pcpartpicker.com/list/kGnfRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/JWkZjc
promotions.newegg.com/nepro/17-1147/index.html?cm_mmc=SNC-Facebook-_-Sale-_-Feb-Blowout-_-022317
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Update that OP, nigga
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
Are all garbage now
>Substitute DelidLake Bentium and Core i3 with Ryzen R3 1200X or R3 1100 for FOUR ACTUAL FUCKING CORES
>Consider suicide if using an i5 7500 when Ryzen 5 1400X costs the same, has SMT, and can be overclocked with a $70 motherboard
>Consider suicide for any i3 or i5 build with any mobo
>Consider a B350 mobo for any Ryzen build
Ryzen 3 1100 (4c/4t) = $130 = Core i3-7100 (2c/4t)
Ryzen 3 1200X (4c/4t) = $150 = Core i3-7300 (2c/4t)
Ryzen 5 1300 (4c/8t) = $175 = Core i3-7350K (2c/4t)/Core i5-7400 (4c/4t)
Ryzen 5 1400X (4c/8t) = $200 = Core i5-7500 (4c/4t)
Ryzen 5 1500 (6c/12t) = $230 = Core i5-7600 (4c/4t)
Ryzen 5 1600X (6c/12t) = $260 = Core i5-7600K (4c/4t)

You forget that r5 isn't coming out for 2-3 months, r3 in 6 months and there are zero unsponsored benches released.
Enjoy your waiting, cuck.

Enjoy your dead socket Jew
Intel's rushing the next mainstream socket because of this
SHIT
UPGRADE
PATH
Meanwhile, AM4 will support Zen+

Gaming and possibly streaming so want the i7, budget can go anywhere up to 2k dollars
pcpartpicker.com/list/LTb9XH
Last thread was almost ded so i ask is there anything wrong with the list? Im new to PC stuff and i really am not sure, also if theres anything cheaper that wont affect quality of the build, if not ill just pay the price. Thank you

>Gaming and possibly streaming
So you don't want that i7. Four cores is not enough for gaming and streaming these days.
Swap it out for an i7-6800K and a cheap X99 motherboard.
Of buy a six-core $260 Ryzen 5 1600X and a $100 X370 motherboard

Should i go with this one : pcpartpicker.com/list/wWCkRG

or this
pcpartpicker.com/list/DKQ2Z8

i5 and rx480 ftw if you don't want to wait for zen

I'll be including some example Ryzen builds, but right now there's no way a $70 G4560 is getting replaced with a $300 R7

Eventually the CPU tiers will probably look like this:

>G4560 + 1050/460/1050Ti
>1100/1200X + 1050Ti/470/480/1060
>1400X + 470/480/1060/1070

>1600X for VM gaming build possibly, but the lack of iGP is annoying

Anyone on LGA1151 is fine, since they'll likely be able to get a cheap i7 in the near future. Anyway $150 isn't a big deal to a lot of people

If you're streaming you should probably get Ryzen. At least wait for a few benches

Drop the i3 to the G4560

Why would you spend $70 on a dual-core when you can buy an overclockable four core for just $30 more and replace that chip with an 8-core later down the line? Where's the logic in this?

>At least wait for a few benches
They're already out. Ryzen cores are almost on par with Kaby Lakes at the same IPC. In fact, it might have more IPC per core at the same clock if the single-threaded benchmarks are anything to go by. The only advantage Kaby Lake has is its higher potential clock, but Ryzen can overclock to about 4.6GHz on all cores with proper cooling.

Can you please check my ITX build? Any comment is more than welcome

it.pcpartpicker.com/list/4b7bGf

look good?

pcpartpicker.com/list/jpQJqk.

for a SFP connection what do i need to extend a link more than 10m? I know that copper is limited to 10m one way or another, active or passive, so what do i need to take advantage of the fiber connections?
Really would like to get my NAS and desktop connected using the 10gb speeds

>when you can buy an overclockable four core for just $30
Because you can't, rumored price of cheapest 4c / 4t is $120, almost twice as much

Anyway, someone who wants a low end CPU in the beginning will likely be happy with 4c / 8t as his max upgrade

Seems like you already bought almost everything

>not found

pcpartpicker.com/list/jpQJqk

Need B250 and 2400MHz RAM

pcpartpicker.com/list/NJNCqk

ill probably add a network card from my old computer as well

Throw in a 240GB SSD like in the OP builds and you're good

nah i cant afford the luxury of an ssd yet

It's like $75 m8

Drop to 4GB 470 and get the SSD then. 8GB is too much for the 480 anyway

ssd isnt much of a priority for me right now. i will add one later down the line for sure
you're right i could go for a 4GB 470 and save some cash

So here is the build I was going to go with.

pcpartpicker.com/user/XMorbius/saved/Ny6XLk

The LinusTechTips (I know, forgive me) from the AMD briefing mentioned that an i7 7700k was dropping frames while streaming Dota 2. So I'm thinking of moving to Ryzen or an i7 with more cores. Thoughts?

Actually no, those are only the best prices that I've found.
I'm asking for advice before pulling the trigger.
I'm thinking about switching the WD hard drive with a Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm.
Moreover, I'm not sure about the 1070: I'm aiming at 1440p but 60 fps are not a requirement.
The next step is choosing a good monitor.

>1600x isn't releasing for 3 months

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

From the following list, which tier would allow me to play every recent game with standard setting? I have no idea where to start.
logicalincrements.com/

Look at the other list in the OP, retard

I need some cheap ddr4 2133 ram, any recommendations?

>sort by price
>check mobo for compatibility
Done

>8GB is too much for the 480 anyway

Shit seriously? I'm about to order the 8gb too.

should I fall for the ryzen hype train or wait for an Intel response

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZJKbGf
I'm going to swap the i5 for an R5 whenever they release.

Get the 8GB, don't cuck yourself with 4 GB of VRAM.

It's fine, but that won't be for a few months, so come back later. At that point you'll probably want the RX580

Depends on how badly you need a new CPU/platform

In my opinion. Really 6GB is most you'd want. Some games need more than 4GB (RotTR for instance) on Ultra, but you're going to have a hard time keeping playable framerates with a 480 tier gfx card. The Uber settings in Mirror's Edge Catalyst are a prime example of this. Unplayable unless you're using an 8GB 1070 or 1080.

So really you're looking at 4GB 470, 4GB 480, 6GB 1060 in terms of cost effectiveness.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9MnDf8
I'm in USA and mainly want to use this pc for gaming. Don't want to spend more than 500 because i also need a monitor and keyboard. Any criticism about quality would be appreciated.

This is me. Should I switch to Ryzen or bump up to a better i7

Would you pay 175 bucks for an untested CPU from a recycled PC? It's pretty unlikely that the CPU was the reason the PC was recycled, and as long as it was in the socket it shouldn't have been harmed before someone who knows what he's doing took it out, right?

It's shit, absolute shit. The only Pentium worth getting is the G4560 because it's hyperthreaded ( 2c / 4t). The Pentium you picked is 2c / 2t, which will cause horrible stuttering in many games, especially when paired with a 1060.

Get a G4560 + B250 + 2400 DDR4 and come back

Also you can easily get a $50 used 23-24" 1080p monitor. 21" is too small

Either option is fine from a performance standpoint. Ryzen will be the better option

Obviously a gamble, but likely it's fine.

8GB'll last you the lifetime of the card (3-5 years)

Anything less and you'll be in danger of cucking yourself, especially with the 1060 and 480 both setting the bar for devs to aim for in terms of vram use.

And the 1080ti and Vega are virtually guaranteed to have more than 8GB of vram

I have to disagree with this line of reasoning. Another example is For Honor, which uses about 2GB at max settings at 1080p. If super sampling is engaged, the game uses a little under 4GB, but framerates sit below 20FPS most of the time. Yeah, 8GB is only a few more dollars, but it's definitely unnecessary since the PS4 Pro only has 8GB total for system+VRAM combined

If there wasn't any intent to massively increase vram usage, neither nvidia nor amd would be adding so much vram to their boards.

But they're going crazy with it, and they're doing that because high resolution textures and high resolution displays are coming down the pipe. People don't just want 4k game resolution. They want 4k textures, too. That shit eats up a lot of vram; 4GB is not enough.

I'd only consider 4GB's for short-term cards. Something you only intend to have for two years or less before upgrading. Two years from now, 8GB vram will be standard.

Standard =/= necessary
We can't certainly predict the future, but the limits on RAM as defined by consoles are a good indicator. Anyway those powerful cards will be for 1440p and above, where the extra VRAM is useful

4GB will certainly not make a 470 or 480 useless for 1080p gaming within the next 5yrs, but maybe some eyecandy or performance boost (RE7 shadow cache) will be missing, who knows.

The gaming standard is now 1440p
4k if you're rich

5 years from now it'll probably be something ridiculous like 8k

How long do you think a 1070 will last for 1080p gaming and maybe 1440p?

5 years

3 years in you'll want to upgrade, 5 years in you pretty much can't help but upgrade, as even a cheapo $100 card will be as good or better.

Maybe cut that time down a bit if vulkan/dx12 takes off.

At 1080p, not much longer than the 1060/480. The 1070 is obviously only one tier above, and the next consoles will be significantly more powerful than the 1070, meaning that the 1060 and 1070 will be made obsolete at around the same time.

The 1070 is a 1440p card that will last for 3 - 5 years, depending on your standards

>5 years from now it'll probably be something ridiculous like 8k

Yeah, 8k to 10k is where it's gonna max out. 8k at 27" is retina quality.

I'm completely new to any type of PC building. Right now, I'm doing a lot of video editing on a Macbook Air, and since doing anything longer than 7 minutes in FCP X (other software doesn't run well) is basically impossible on that machine I'm looking to upgrade.

Guides for specs for video editing usually come down to "buy an iMac" or "interested in video editing? check out our gaming rig specs". Since I find iMacs to be too expensive for what they are and am not sure about those gaming rigs I'd like to ask you guys if you know what would be good specs for video editing or if you knew about any good guides. Should the specs be similar to those of a gaming rig?

Depends on how much you have to spend, but any 8c / 16t Ryzen will be great for editing

Yeah follow similar specs as gaming but prioritize higher core count vs. higher clock speed when it comes to the processor and consider PCIe SSDs for faster read/write speed.

Go intel i7 or wait for Ryzen 1800x benchmarks.

The maximum I'd like to spend is around €2000 (which would still be cheaper than a mac). Could I get something good with a budget like that?

How much should I expect to spend on 2 monitors?

Not sure about europe's availability and pricing but $2k usd could get you a very nice setup.

i7 7700k + RX480 comes to mind if you want something now. You should probably wait to see if Ryzen will be any decent if you can however.

For monitors 1080p with low framerates (60-75hz) are fairly cheap. 1440p/1080 ultrawide are middle of the road and 1440 ultrawide/high refresh rate/4k monitors are expensive. It really depends on what you want in a monitor(s).

Thanks. Since I'll probably be getting two monitors, would it be recommendable to get one 4K monitor (main display) and one 1080p monitor (side menus etc)? Or does combining those two just lead to awkwardness?

This comes down to personal preference really. That and desk/wall real estate.

Personally I like the clean desk look and went from 3x 1080p to 2x 1200p, and now have a single 1440. I've gotten used to the size adjustment. I think this year I may go with single 1440 ultrawide. I enjoy the look of a single monitor setup but you may have different tastes.

Forgot to add that mismatching resolutions won't be too much of an issue unless you are OCD about font sizes being different on each screen.

I have a RX 480 8GB and I want to play Overwatch at 144hz 1080p. Lowering settings is fine.

Should I go with an i5 7500 now, or wait until Ryzen 5? The i5 7500 is $200, and the cheapest Ryzen 5 is $175. If I go Intel, should I go with a Z mobo, or is B250 fine?

If you want it now the i5 should do the trick. b series board is fine if you don't plan on upgrading to an unlocked CPU in the future.

You should probably wait to see what Ryzen has to offer, but that could be a while for R5.

Gonna be getting an rx480 later in the year and a lower end ryzen cpu. What should I do in terms of cooling? Watercooling seems like overkill. I've only ever dealt with igpus/generally empty cases so my single fan was enough to keep things cool. So would two fans be enough? Also, is it recommended that I get a separate heatsink? Or should the stock one be enough? I don't need any fancy leds.

If you don't plan on overclocking the stock fan is perfectly fine.Just make sure your case has two fans one intake and one exhaust and keep it clean.

If you do plan on overclocking decide how much you want to spend and do some research. Way too many options for cooling to give a be-all-end-all solution.

are there any good resources on best laptops for each price range? can't find any

Depends on what you mean by "good" but is around here somewhere

Thanks a bunch man. I'm not planning on doing any overclocking so just two should be fine then, right?

That will be plenty. Tip for your fan setup: Exhaust fans should be mounted at the rear or top of the case, intake at the front or bottom. Make sure all intake fans have a dust filter in front of them and you won't have to clean your case out as often.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VyhdtJ

I already bought the psu, (Evga 500w 80+) my question is on the mobo. Am I losing anything by getting this B105 with wifi instead of a Atx or Micro atx without, even though I would have to buy a wifi network adapter?
This is for mid level gaming and school mostly.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($210.26 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Jet)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($120.47 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.75 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($264.28 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.64 @ Amazon)
Total: $852.38

Need B250
240GB SSD
Ugly case

No you aren't losing anything but consider the fact that your case is sized for a full ATX board and you are getting an ITX mobo. The whole point of ITX is usually to build a compact system. I would consider a full ATX sized board if you want that case. They make those with wifi and they will have better expandability.

Right now your setup will look goofy like pic related.

H-how'd I do Sup Forums?

I'll be swapping my 1070 GTX, 128gb Samsung 840 evo ssd, and 1TB WD Black HDD over to it. Selling my current setup for $500 with my old 280x in it that has issues but usually works (buyer knows about the issues)

Old setup getting sold for $500:
FX8320 with hyper 212 cooler
ASUS 280X
ASUS 990FX R2.0
12gb corsair ddr 1600mhz
256gb corsair ssd
corsair tx850m psu
haf 912 case

Should I just get a smaller case? like pcpartpicker.com/product/2kTrxr/phanteks-case-phes215pbk
Ok
No
Maybe

pcpartpicker.com/list/kGnfRG
what do you think?

Why are you buying a i5-6500 with a stock cpu cooler and another cpu cooler? Spend the same money and get the 7500

ok any else?

You could but it looks like you have a full sized graphics card that likely won't fit in an ITX case. I believe Gigabyte makes an ITX 1060 so consider that.

Also if using an ATX PSU in an ITX case it will be a pain to get the cabling looking decent if the case even supports that size at all.

This is why I personally prefer ATX builds in general. Hardly any clearance/compatibility issues.

so I have a non ryzen specific.

I bought this ram, it was almost a year ago. was thinking about doubling it up.

The thing is. Its literally double the price it was in april, and its still one of the cheapest 32GB kits available. What's the deal, I've never heard of prices going up this consistantly over this long a period of time....

>specific question.
fixed*

pcpartpicker.com/list/JWkZjc

Waiting for Ryzen 5 to come out to see if I should switch my CPU. How does everything else look though? On the fence about getting an RX 480 since I've heard mixed things about performance though.

Pcpart picker had that new case at 13 inches clearance and that card at ~9 inches, and it looks like my psu is still good too, at least according to them. I guess Ill deal with the cable management the best I can. Thanks

I'm pretty stupid when it comes to building a computer, what system could I build that could play warthunder and world of warships on high settings with at least 80 fps.?

anything from the mid 1990's would probably work.

If anyone cares, newegg is having a sale promotions.newegg.com/nepro/17-1147/index.html?cm_mmc=SNC-Facebook-_-Sale-_-Feb-Blowout-_-022317

Why 80fps? Also, most likely anything in the budget range would be fine

any feedback Sup Forums? I kind of rushed through this buying spree at work today

Looks good.

Personally I don't agree with preordering things before we know their performance but its your money.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or CRYORIG H7? I have a i5 4690 so can't overclock it, just want to make my rig quieter.

Any reason I should buy Gaymer Heatsink Ultra dissipation RAM instead of pic related? I can probably DIY transfer heatsinks of older ddr3 modules anyway.

Also, why is DDR4 rising in price again? Did another factory go up in flames?

I guess it's like having VRMs with no heatsinks. I can feel that my RAM's warm when I touch it, but I don't think it's going to catch fire if the heatsink wasn't there. No harm in having cooler components though.

Phones are also using DDR4 now apparently.

If you don't care about the aesthetic then no it doesn't make a difference.

Something about cell phone companies demanding more ram all of a sudden and there being a general shortage.

What's a good low profile cpu cooler?

bumping for thoughts on this

I'm giving away my 1150 4690k to my mom because I'm getting ryzen+am4 board and I need a new case for it.

Any cheap low profile case for a regular ATX case?

Going for a black aesthetic for my build. Which version of the RX 480 should I get if I'm going for that over the GTX 1060?

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500
Motherboard: MSI B250 PC MATE
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 (2x4 GB) DDR4-2400
HHD: Toshiba P300 2TB
SSD: PNY 240GB
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB Windforce OC
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24" 1920x1080
Keyboard: Ducky One (Cherry MX Reds)

how does this look guys?

XFX has some RX 480s with a black backplate.

How worth is it to get the Sapphire Nitro+ OC model of the RX 480? What about the MSI Armor?

Still mulling about whether or not I want to get the 480 over the 1060 but I figured I want my shit to last so I should get AMD instead, especially if Ryzen 5 turns out to be good.

Would you reccomend the 4G or the 8G version of the 480?

r5 and vega out at the same time?

Not that anony but 8gb preferably. Althought the sapphire 4gb version is tempting for $180 at newegg.

I'll probably just go with the 8GB then. Is there any particular model that you would recommend out of the RX 480 8GBs?

SAPPHIRE's Nitro+

>Sapphire Nitro+
>$260
Not the user you are replying to but he could just get a 1060 for that price.

Im doing my first pc build and had some questions. If someone would be kind enough to share their opinions id be grateful
>Will an i5 be enough to power a gaming rig without an upgrade in the foreseeable future?
I waited on ryzen but it is just as expensive as the i7
>Do I need both a Ssd and mechanical memory?
I was told to buy 2tb mechanical and 250 ssd for performance. Was this good advice?
>Will my existing 47inch TV suffice for a monitor?
I am on somewhat of a budget and this seemed like a good place to shave a few hundred. I will buy a dedicated monitor in the future but will this be an acceptable stopgap?