Redpill me on Chromebooks

Redpill me on Chromebooks.

I need a small laptop for general use, and I find anything above 13" unacceptable, but ideally I'd like something in the 10-11" range, something that doesn't seem to exists in modern regular laptops. And since I heard you can install loonix in these, figured they would be a good candidate

Thing is, like with the Facbook, all of these seem to have soldered storage, and very shit storage at that, and I would be needing quite a bit more.

Is very specific, but is there anything out there that suits my needs? I'd ideally would like for 2 drive bays that you could replace, but I'd settle for 1, maybe some that uses that new PC-I storage thingie that everyone is talking about.

Other urls found in this thread:

harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/asus-vivobook-x206ha-11-6-laptop.html
rta-aus.net/MacBook.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

get a x220 and thank me later.

Acer r11 Chromebook is p good. They're better than having a tablet imho

Get an Acer R11 lad

They seem too big in pictures. But it's hard to judge like that and I've never seen one in person.

I don't mind if they're thick, but I would really like them to be at least as compact as the fagbook air.

Looks nice, but just like all other chromebooks, it doesn't seem to fit the quota of "upgradable storage"

What do you need expandable storage for, just wondering? Are you going to install Linux?

you can always just put an SD car in

Well, upgradeable storage is not really what they're for. They have SD and USB ports for that, and of course the cloud as well.

It's kind of nice having a machine without all the bullshit on it. They're quick, resource light, basic little machines.

Full size SD storage can get you pretty far these days

I was hoping to use it for some light work, and media consumption if possible.

Basically I'd like it to be my daily driver. In conjunction with my current computer. And part of that does imply not being connected to the internet at all times.

>I was hoping to use it for some light work, and media consumption if possible.

So long as you understand the limitations of Chromebooks. Define "light work."

>Daily driver
I use my Chromebook as a companion to my rig. It can do some things offline, like watch movies, listen to music, work on documents, play games etc.

What are you trying to do offline?

>play games

Basically the same as you, but I'm not sure how much of that you could realistically do with less than 100GBs of storage. I mean most series I download are like at least a dozen GBs.

If a Chromebook can't do it, I'd like to know if there is any laptop out there that meets my criteria.

JUST BUY A 128 GB SD CARD U MONGOLOID

what the fuck ... its faster than any SSD

tbqh .. what you are actually looking for is a full fledged LAPTOP

you want it all for under $200 ... not gonna happen

You either buy a used Thinkpad and customize it and go with it or buy a budget laptop 15 inch something for $300 and call it a day

but dont complain about less portability and 3 hour battery life

something like the dell chromebook 11 or just get a x220

*any HDD sorry

It's not about the price user, I don't mind paying extra.

But Chromebooks seem to be the only

there isnt much difference to a 13"

if its not about the money just buy a XPS 13 and call it a day lol ... or get a macbook 12

With those bezels in the OP pic you might as well just get an XPS 13
The newest model is worse than the last one btw

HP SPECTRE
X360

they're actually pretty small, look it up on youtube

Do they address my main concern tho?

I know for a fact the storage is soldered on the Macbook, which is why I don't consider it in the first place.

̶B̶e̶s̶i̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶i̶z̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶1̶1̶.̶5̶"̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶a̶g̶

Just buy a large SD card. It doesn't have a crazy robust media player, but it can play most filetypes. You can watch your Chinese cartoons.

You are the second person who tells me this and honestly it's starting to sound like a good idea.

I've only ever done this with another computer tho, and it's too recent for me to judge, but don't SD cards die faster than HDDs and SSDs?

I have no idea. I use my Chromebook like a regular person and consume my amines on my rig. My Chromebook is just kinda my companion laptop

A Chromebook is not used for downloading whole series. Hell, I wouldn't even bother putting a torrent client on one. Netflix and shit like that, go hard.

Offline is quite limited when it comes to Chromebooks.

Get an XPS 13 or a zenbook or something if money isn't an issue.

I'd need to got to some electronics store before I make the decision but i'm pretty danm set in needing a 12" or smaller laptop.

I'm kind of suprised actually that there really isn't anything out there that is that size and has at least 1 drive bay. Are netbooks the same?

Netbooks have been replaced by tablets.

There are other options like a shuttle HP Stream, although they have 32gb for storage.

Maybe check this out?

HP 11-U018ca. I saw it at best buy last week, just remembered about it now. Maybe a bit more what you are looking for.

*** Little, not Shuttle

And tablets are getting BTFO by Chromebooks

Not entirely. I imagine all the grandma's and old fucks are still using iPads. Android scares my mom because she heard Google "follows you".

Did she heard it on Sup Forums?

No, from one of her old lady friends. She has only Apple products because "they take care of their customers" . And she is convinced I'm some sort of big-time hacker or something because I have an Android phone. She's a bit crazy lol

With a Chromebook you'd need an SD card, an external drive, or a cloud option. I have one I use for basic shit and it runs Linux pretty smoothly. One thing I will say, the hardware in some Chromebooks isn't supported, so research the model you want to by. There is also a good number of glitches that come with running Linux on a Chromebook, and it will take some tinkering to get everything working right.

I'm using a Toshiba Chromebook and it's really nice imo. Expandable storage, 1080p screen is nice as well. You can install Linux and Windows on it.

What model

It has an upgradable NVME drive as well as a full SD card slot and USB 3.1 just in case you need that extra faster-than-SATA external drive

im looking at getting this

harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/asus-vivobook-x206ha-11-6-laptop.html

seems like a decent price, what yall think? is the 32GB upgradable? seems small as fuck

I don't know but there were a lot of Sandisk cards as Best Buy claiming some impressive speeds and holding a lifetime warranty

Would a chromebook be good for remote desktop while I'm at the library or something? I can't work from home because I get distracted and I can't bring my desktop to the library obviously.

I feel like most people are tired of looking into what they're suggesting against
I don't get why you're rejecting 13" laptops with extremely small form factors, good hardware and expandability because you'd rather have an 11" screen with an inch of bezels on either side

That wasn't me, that user is someone else who seems to be looking for something similar.

what? i want it because its like the cheapest laptop i can find. Plus i prefer 11-13 inch for my laptops

I thought you said it's not about the price; you don't mind paying extra

im not op, this was just a thread on chromebooks, which i extended to mean netbooks.

Go for the Toshiba Chromebook 2. I have arch running flawlessly on mine. It's 12 inches iirc and has an m.2 ssd for upgradable storage. I have 128 gigs, but you can use whatever. Also the 1080p ips display is pretty nice.

This is why it's stupid that they measure computers diagonally, and by their display.

Because a 12" display would be on a laptop that in reality is around 9" from left to right.

That would be a 9:8 laptop screen
Perfect

I can't find a good option for this range either, I have no problem with 13" and am looking at the r11 but I've had terrible experinces with acer in '08 '09. hopefully they've improved.

chromebook I assume is BOTNET unless you can replace firmware. acer I presume is just plain old /csg/ GREATWALL firmware which is probably BOTNET backdoored anyway

tablet input is inferior

Whats my best bet for a portable anime machine right now? i figure the display and battery life should be good and id like it to have decent storage

I really think it's ridiculous that there are so little 10-12" laptops with drive bays.

It's not like they take a lot of space.

Yeah, do that

You'll get shittier battery life, a worse screen, worse build quality since you have to buy it used, etc etc.

Asus c201 can be librebooted

I'm loving my Samsung Chromebook Plus. It probably has the best screen on any Chromebook, so if you're going to be doing a lot of media consumption it's good for that.

ITT: People who don't realize the HP Spectre x360 13t (2017) is the best (value) 13 inch laptop on Le market

How much does HP pay you? Is it more than what the Dell shills get paid?

thats pretty expensive

>Not shilling the superior late 2016 version

I still haven't given up on the idea of finding an 11.5" one.

B-but muh intel CPU.

the rMBP is better

Cheaper than equally specced fagbook and dell xpshit

Except it's objectively worse

False

>b-b-but muh stylus
>Thunderbolts all you need!
>black and gold like the Persians bro!

better battery life, better build, faster storage, objectively nicer display... oh, and it runs macOS instead of your garbage Windows/Linux bullshit.

>better battery life
Nope
>better build
I guess if you care about how cool the guts look
>faster storage
Nope
>objectively nicer display
Wait the rmbp has 4K now?
>muh macOS
Kys

>better battery life
False
>better build
The Spectre is a knockoff of the aluminum unibody, they're both good
>faster storage
Samsung SM951 (at least, it could be SM961) vs what in the MacBook?
>nicer display
It's 4K and has multipoint touch screen along with digitizer
>OSX
Ya got me kek

>all that matters is resolution
this is like muh megapixels when it comes to cameras... there are other factors, dinguses
also saying "nope" doesn't actually prove anything
>I guess if you care about how cool the guts look

I don't think you know what build means lad

And twice the cost

Oh yeah, the Mac is also cheaper heh
>Spectrefags

>delusional

I'm the second reply and im just saying it's not a fair fight for the display, the HP only has like 75~80% srgb coverage but the touchscreen and digitizer are really strong features that the Mac doesn't have

I got mine last year for $1000
16Gb ram, 7500U, 256GB SM951

>damage control at max
I'm sorry you got played by applel

Also nope

>touchscreen and digitizer are really strong features that the Mac doesn't have
This is a laptop, though--not a toy for mashing your greasy finger around on.

rta-aus.net/MacBook.html

>ugly, cheap display
>slow storage
>terrible OS
>inferior build quality
>lower battery life
I bet it'll be junked in two years while the rMBP will still be virtually mint... and this will be reflected in the price, too. The Apple will be worth $800+ still and the Spectre will be half its original price or less.

Digitizer is literally what Apple has been missing from the artsy crowd, I think that's why the surface desktop was so well received
>MacBook owner

That's the old one, it has a better screen (which is still IPS you dip) and a CPU that runs at 3.5GHz single core and 3.1GHz fully stressed. And it does not go anywhere above 80°. MacBook can't say that
>it just sits at 0.8GHz all day :(

>This is a laptop, though--not a toy for mashing your greasy finger around on.

"Durr having more options is bad hurr" also guessing you've never heard of this super special thing called a stylus

>ugly
More aesthetic than the fagbook
>cheap display
Higher res, with above average color gamut

>slow storage
Faster than fagbook

>muh macOS
KYS

>inferior build quality
Muh proprietary internals

>lower battery life
False

>muh resell value
Thats one advantage of having a retarded consumer base

>Higher res, with above average color gamut
>but still vastly superior in general picture quality than the rMBP
Btw, is it a pentile display? :^)
>Faster than fagbook
>because I say so
>KYS
enjoy your shit scaling and battery life
>False
making things up as usual

Enjoy your shitpile in another 6 months man

>Newest Spectre is $2200
>MacBook is over $3000
I got a better spec than that Spectre (except I have 256GB over 1TB) for less than half the price here Just saying
I had to buy my half of a two-pack at Costco tho

The prices listed at that link are completely wrong for every single model there, that must be in Brazil or some other similar place

>Btw, is it a pentile display? :^)
2017 version dropped the pentile for true 4k but guess you didn't bother researching

>Enjoy your shitpile in another 6 months man
Funny since you've had one the moment you decided to purchase a fagbook

You need to stop it with the battery life back-and-forth or somebody needs to post some benchmarks, the Spectre has exceptional battery life

>2017 version dropped the pentile for true 4k but guess you didn't bother researching
Ah yes, and how much is the 2017 version with equal specs to the Mac? And is the storage still just as slow?
>fagbook
Are you literally 12 years old?

And my point is that HP produces junk. It seems like a halfway decent machine, but I fully expect it to fall apart just a few years down the line while the Mac will still be perfectly capable and will still have 50% on the clock.

>ignore the other specs
>ignore pentile display etc
>b-b-but not on the 2017 version
>which is also more expensive with the same or similar specs btw
still has a terrible display despite the alleged non-pentile 4k res btw

I don't know what you're talking about but my 2016 one is 3200x1800 and has amazing battery life

>pentile

>muh Retina display
The only thing it has over the Spectre is slightly better color accuracy. The Spectre bears the rmbp in resolution and sharpness.

>storage still slow
Faster than mbp, also cheaper
>complaining about people talking about the newest iteration of a product
Oh I'm so sorry apple botched the new mbp so badly.

>muh build quality
I've had MacBooks fail on me several times, and unfortunately I could be assed to get them fixed without paying $500+ since everything is proprietary

*beats

That's my Costco one though, clearly it isn't $2200 and isn't the one you guys are talking about
But it is the one you both should get.

I bought a $50 Chromebook that meets your requirements from a Micro Center. It's very good for $50. Overall, it's shit, but $50. It can have about 30 tabs in Chrome (which is the only browser you can use) before it begins to shut some of them down due to memory issues. Can't play any video in 1080p. But hey, it works as something you can carry around with you easily. Perfect for plane flights. Also good for gym and college, etc.

>The Spectre bears the rmbp in resolution and sharpness
>sharpness
Based on what? Kek. You're completely wrong here, the display is cheap garbage and virtually all reviews point this out... also the 2017 model is the only one without a pentile display, how can you rationalize that?

>But it is the one you both should get.
I'm not interested in a pentile display

How much storage? That's a big deal for me desu

ONE
THOUSAND
DOLLARS
Do you know how much cocaine you could buy with the $2150 you saved by not getting a MacBook with 4K?

>virtually all reviews point that out
False, the reviews have lauded the new Spectre's display

>talking about anything besides the newest iteration
DAMAGE CONTROL

I paid $1200 after taxes, not sure where you're getting this $2150 in savings
>pentile shit

It's what you posted as your proof that the MacBook was better
Both of you fags arguing, enjoy your dongles

>>talking about anything besides the newest iteration
muh constant goalpost moving
how much does the 2017 13.3" spectre cost btw? :^)

There are also other considerations. Even if you ignore OS (which is fucking stupid) there's warranty and support, and and overall longevity

you are retarded

>goalpost shifting
Nope, I've been talking exclusively about the newest Spectre this entire time, nice try though

The newest Spectre with 4k, i7-7500u, 512GB NVME m.2 ssd costs $~1350

Warranty and support are top notch

Not much. ~25gb.

Forgot to mention that its charge lasts for 8+ hours, so that's another good thing.