Sup Forums tells me I need 16GiB of RAM

>Sup Forums tells me I need 16GiB of RAM
>50% of it goes unused 100% of the time

>tfw 5 GiB used sitting idle
>8 or 9 if I have many tabs open
Is this normal?

it doesn't cost that much why would you blow your brains out

What've you got running?

Nothing other than normal background stuff; Steam, Greenshot, MSI Afterburner, Avast, etc.

Chrome and addons are eating your RAM.

Future-proof bro :)

B-but I like them.......
It's not like I'm using that extra RAM anyways.....

>Chrome
Yeah, explained a lot. Chrome doesnt optimized pretty well with ram management. Compare to mozilla, i can maintain 1.5gb of ram usage for 6 hours ( 4 tabs ) than chrome whooping to 3.5gb with 4 tabs

It's Chromium, but yeah same difference.

you need it when youre editing really big files in paint

I've seen plenty of threads where people say 8 is plenty if you don't edit etc

Not sure who you listened to for the 16gb meme

I was traumatized by having to use a PC with 4 GB RAM and Vista 64-bit with no SSD for 4 years straight.

i used to get microstuttering in games when using 8gb and had background tasks

i have 6 gig with 4 chrome tab youtube, origin, steam ,uplay ,battlenet and battlefield 1

a proper operating system doesn't let a single byte of ram go unused

Actually it is. Unused ram is wasted ram. Chrome just takes advantage of it and uses it as it needs.

You really need 64gb of ram to do anything basic these days

>people tell me
>you need a swap that is sized 200% of your total ram
>I have 128gb of ram, Sup Forums told me I needed it
>so I need 256gb of swap
>Sup Forums said hdds were a meme so I only buy ssds now
>Sup Forums said that I when you buy an ssd, you should partition half of it to be unused for realocated data
>better get the 500gb ssd for my swap drive
MY COMPUTER ONLY USES 3 GB OF RAM EVER FUCK YOU Sup Forums I HATE YOU FAGS SO MUCH

what the fuck are you talking about

You should check up current ram prices.

>proper system
>windows
>pic related

not simply reallocating virtual memory as ram
>children.. i swear

>Sup Forums tells me I need 16gb of RAM
>I tell me I need 32gb of RAM
>I can't figure out how to use more than 45% of it
No regrets.

>what is disk caching

>buy 32 GB DDR4 last May
>cheaper than what 16 GB cost now

No regrets

16gb is just enough for me

I wasted a ton of money building my PC, but I at least feel happy I didn't waste money on 16gb of ram when my 8gb is just fine.

Learn how to VM my son.

I mean, he's right. I'm using Chromium on a system with 4GB RAM right now and I'm not even at 2GB used. Opened a bunch of catalogue pages to bump it up a bit too. Some programs just eat RAM if there's plenty to spare in order to cache things.

>he fell for the not used ram is wasted ram meme

I have about 100 chrome tabs open at all times and i'm struggling to keep 20GBs of space on my HDD, so I'd love it if you could throw me 1 or 2 of those sticks.

You'll be thanking us in three to four years when your system is still usable and extra ram for your system costs like $100 for 4gb, unless you're a poorfag whose system was only meant to last a few years in which case you have bigger problems than blindly following Sup Forumss advice.

16GiB is not a meme you faggot
I'm rocking 7GiB usage now.

Always good to have 50% extra.
Did have spikes to 10GiB.
>Is this normal
YES.
Especial for google botnet.

>Overpaying money for that 0.001% faster i7 that is outdated after a year
>Not getting RAM that is future proof
>Bragging about it on Sup Forums
WEW lad.

It's not a meme, be happy that you're not running out

pic is out of 12GB

>letting shitposting autists on a mongolian basketweaving forum dictate your hardware requirements

Are you mentally retarded?

>drop 600 on a new laptop
>8 GB ram
>gets fucking stuck on booting WoWs

I use it for photoshop and Solidworks.

Because you fucking retard FASTER ram > SLOWER ram that is unused. The golden rule for gayming is usually FAST ram on 8gb.
Of course, 16gb isn't a crime so I won't object but 32gb on slow ram is a war crime.

>posting in such a place

no you

Patricians don't get more ram, they get better ram, they know how much they need and give the difference the plebians give for shitty ram to get lower latency and higher frequency ram with the difference.

There is a difference in posting on a basketweaving forum vs taking hardware advice and spending hundreds of dollars.

>Sup Forums tells me I need 16GiB of RAM

That's cuz you are a gaymen faggit.

32GB isn't even enough RAM.

Pic related

>50% of it goes unused
Yeah I sued to think so too until I spun up a few VMs.

H-how?

>Have 8GB on win 7
>It's so much spare that I created a 1.5GB ram disk just to install my browser on
>still never hit 100% usage, except for when I run multiple VMs that I each assign gigabytes of RAM to

>tfw 12GB DDR3
>mfw end up using all of it in a few open-world games and when rendering thing in Blender

12GB is the sweet spot

Depends what you're doing. I've found it's been very useful for the kind of work I do, and I use VMs often enough to warrant the usage of all 16gb of ram.

cache you motherfuckers!

>retard buys 16GB RAM
>opens chrome
>MUH MEMORY USAGE even though it's mostly just the windows cache

>taking anything here seriously
user...

COMFY
O
M
F
Y

I rarely go beyond 2 or 3gb. This 4gb of ram is wasted on me.

fucking windows refocuses and freezes full screen application when you read 70% RAM usage when you have 16GB, continues to do it when you hit dismiss. What the fuck is the point in RAM real estate if this garbage operating system panics and halts when it's actually used? You might -actually- be better of having less to not deal with this horseshit.

I actually went with an i5. I overspent because I changed cases like 3 times. First I went with mATX, then my motherboard broke and I decided to move down to ITX. I didn't like my first ITX case, so I bought another one. I had to buy two power supplies to go with that, and of course there's the lost money from buying two motherboards instead of RMAing the first one (I decided not to because Sup Forums told me Asus makes shit motherboards, so I viewed it as a better option to just move to a better manufacturer thats less likely to break).

>>windows
>>is this normal

Your swap is going crazy, guarantee it

>I was traumatized by having to use a PC with 4 GB RAM and Vista 64-bit with no SSD for 4 years straight.
Pussy, my first Vista box 10 years ago had 1GB RAM

>I throw money away like its on fire
>I follow Sup Forums MEMEs
>Why don't I have money for RAM?
> post "No one needs more then 2GiB or RAM" on Sup Forums

WEW^2 LAD
You doubled the WEW exponentially now lad.

You don't need to use the full 8 GB to feel the constraints OP. When Windows gets to 7 used it starts swapping hard, lagging the whole damn OS. With 16 at least it'll never swap as long as you aren't editing movies, running 10x chrome or shit.

This is actually true.
The normal usage should be ~50% so you have a safe cushion.
Everyone who thinks that having 100% RAM used is good is literary retarded.

>16gb RAM
Scrub, even my laptop has more

I'm sorry that the extra $50 is too much for you to handle

>he fell for the 16GiB of RAM meme

Whats with all the hobo posters spamming
>16GiB costs to much
While Sup Forums is notorious for getting the most expensive parts.
I can not imagine them shilling (what are they shilling exactly at this point? Not getting RAM?)
They must be some retarded child who is repeating what life-hacker wrote in one of their articles.

>I don't know how much RAM I need
haha you're a computer illiterate

>being this new

How did it actually boot?

>2 x ONEgib ddr2

ballin

Start 4 VMs and give every one of them 8 GiB of RAM.

At least you'll always have spare RAM. What's your point?

>buy 8gb of ram about 5 years ago
>friends ask me if I'm insane for not buying 16gb
>PC with Windows 10 barely ever reaches 4gb

Poorfag!

What the fuck is this? Are you having an 88 core cpu or something?