Did I fuck up?

So I built a PC a few months ago. Did I fuck up with properly spending my money?

CPU + MOBO - $230
CPU Cooler - $50
RAM - $60
SSD - $88
HDD - $70
Case - $110
PSU - $82
DVD - $19
Wi-Fi - $34
Windows - $0. Yes, I spent nothing for the OS.
Monitor - $280
Total - $1,023

I ran out of money and was unable to buy a GPU. Did I fuck up?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Dell-E2016HV-Mountable-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B012AQIQ48/ref=sr_1_1?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1487929003&sr=8-1&keywords=monitor
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

were you planning on gaming? if so then yes you fucked up

what cpu, exact model?

Not really, igpu is good tho for holding some month. What procie you bought?

Without posting what you used to build it, none of us have any fucking idea

>Case - $110
>PSU - $82
>Wi-Fi - $34
You are fucking retarded for spending that much on those
Everything else seems typically in price (I assume you got a nice monitor for $280)
If you made this build to play gaymes then you're fucked if you didn't buy a GPU

Yes, I did.

i5-6500

ATM, I'm fine without cause I'm busy with classes. But I'm trying to get enough money by the time summer comes around. Looking to get a GTX 1070.

CPU - i5-6500
MOBO - ASUS H170 PRO GAMING
Cooler - Corsair H60
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8) DDR4-2400
SSD - 850 Evo 250gb
HDD - Seagate 2 TB
Case - Fractal Design R5 Blackout Window
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold
DVD - Asus DRW-24B1ST
Wi-Fi - Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2
Monitor - Asus PB258Q

See above for exact specs. I got a 25" 1440p monitor. I did intend to game, planned to get a GTX 1070. I'm fine ATM because of classes, but trying to save up for the summer.

this processor has good enough integrated graphics, so don't worry about graphics card

>boasting about getting a viral os

>HUR DUR
>I USE LINUX CAUSE I'M RETARDED

Is the i5? Enough to run a good gaming rig with? I waied for ryzen but their just as expensive as the i7

>110 on a case
Nigga

Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Window

No, it's not. Low settings and 720p on GTA V gets me about 30-40fps.

this thread is full of fags
op could have gotten a 'pre built HP' with those specs and spend the remaining 600 bucks on a video card
but its your first PC you build OP congrats
enjoy it being slow within 3 years of gaming

>op could have gotten a 'pre built HP' with those specs and spend the remaining 600 bucks on a video card

this

op you spent way too much money for nothing

the GPU is everything when it comes to gaming

With or without a graphics card?

I bought everything new.

I said in my post I don't have a GPU.

Ouch.

>6500
>30 dollar meme cooler

Why not just get a few more case fans?

It was $50 and I don't like loud PCs. Hence my reasoning to get such an expensive case, it has sound-foam. Liquid coolers are generally quieter than regular fans.

Buying the first PSU on pc part picker. When will this meme die?

Fucked up.

I didn't even use pcpartpicker for most of my parts. I knew I wanted an EVGA PSU and needed a gold rating. So ended up getting that.

So for $700, what kind of PC can I get with a GTX 1070.

You don't need a "gaming" mobo op. Don't need did drive or WiFi adapter either. Don't need an after market cooler right now either.

I guess this is your first ever build, most of Sup Forums recycle components form old builds like PSU/case/monitor/etc.

If it was several months ago i hope you've saved up at least $100, you could buy a 1050 at the bare minimum.

Get a cheaper case

It just says "gaming" in the name, but it's pretty standard. Cost me $30-$40 after rebate.

I don't have any components to recycle. Craigslist not an option either.

What's cheaper and offers sound-deadening foam?

>bothering with a non-stock cooler on a budget build
>getting an SSD on a budget build
>spending $110 on a case on a budget
>buying an optical disk reader at all
>spending $280 on a nice monitor instead of getting a cheap-as-free one second-hand

Most everything else is fine.

>$1000
>Budget
Nigga wat.

Fan coolers are too loud.
Not a budget built, so it needs an SSD.
Sound-deadening is why it's expensive.
I have a lot of discs believe it or not. So I kinda need it.
Nothing useful on craigslist near me and I refuse to use ebay after multiple bad experiences.

>spending that much on a case with budget constraints
>bought my seasonic 760W Platinum for 80 dollars

Not a big fan of the monitor either. At that price point you were better off with a 1440p 144hz 24in monitor. Color is very nice though, but is wasted if you're not doing photoshop often. So from there you lost ~140-200 dollars, which is an RX480/1060

>noise
Just wear headphones.
>not a budget build so it needs an ssd
A non-budget build needs a GPU too.
If you're going to run out of money before you have all the components, it's a budget build.
>I have a lot of discs
If you actually use your discs on a daily basis, I guess it's fine to spend ~$20 on a player. I just don't see how its really necessary unless you're performing archival work.
>nothing on craigslist
If you really want to order online, just search "monitor" on amazon warehouse.

Here's a $65 one I found with free shipping in less than a minute.
amazon.com/Dell-E2016HV-Mountable-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B012AQIQ48/ref=sr_1_1?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1487929003&sr=8-1&keywords=monitor

Why did you need a gold rating?

Also not using PC Part Picker to price everything out is where you fucked yourself OP. So good job.
But here's where you fucked up OP:

DVD drive, nobody needs those any more, get rid of it.

Don't need a hydro cooler for a i5 processor, that's stupid. Go stock or a 3rd party air cooler if you're overclocking. UNless your cpu is locked then just go stock.

You could've done without the 250gb SSD and put the money you saved with that towards a GPU.

Wifi? Why? Just go with a cable setup dude.

>Fan coolers are too loud
No they really aren't, you'd be getting a 1070 with a fan cooler anyway so that would make more noise then your CPU fan would anyway so that nulls that point right the fuck out.

>Lot of discs
Get a USB external disc reader, more flexible that way.

>Not a budget build
>i5
>$1000
No that's a budget build dude. Especially when you're now short a GPU.

If you're super concerned about sound proofing, the best bet is to get a motherboard that supports full fan control and set the fans to turn on at preset algorithms to be as quiet as possible.

You got that PSU used or a really good deal. I don't have either of those options. Case has sound-deadening, which I need. Do you even know how much a 1440p 144hz monitor even costs? Close to $500, nearly twice what I paid.

>Headphones
I hate them, they are the worst invention in the world.
>Budget Built
So if someone had $10,000 and ran out of money before buying all components. That's a budget built?
>Discs
Yes, it actually is for archival work. Literally have a closet filled with boxes of VHS tapes and discs.
>Monitor
I want a modern monitor. 1080p is already outdated.

>ran out of money
> Did I fuck up?

Yes.

Cooling block should have been under $30, and could have got one for ~$20.

$110 case ... you are the definition of an imbecilic faggot. Under $30.

$60 for RAM would seem to be 2 x 4 GB = 8 GB RAM, in which case you should have been sub-$50.

ASUS DVD burners run $13 w/ free shipping.

$34 for wifi should have been ~$20 at most.

A decent 256 GB SSD should have been ~$70 at most, and ~$60 if you tried.

You didn't list any specs or brands for anything, so, you are the definition of an imbecilic faggot. Not knowing CPU / mobo / PSU / HDD specs makes it impossible to say how badly you fucked up on those. But, we'll just assume you did because you are behaving like an imbecilic faggot.

Usually the monitor and mouse + keyboard are not part of the build price. Although, of course you still need to but them ... but list those under support peripherals, not core build.

>So if someone had $10,000 and ran out of money before buying all components. That's a budget built?

No but if someone budgets a grand and fails to figure in a ~$400 dollar video card into that assessment, that's a budget build.

Not to mention builds only encompass the PC.

Also the water cooler still uses fans for the radiator genius.

I did use PCPartPicker for pricing. Just not to choose the parts. I
I do use my DVD drive daily.
Air Coolers are too loud.
I wanted an SSD.
Router is in landlord's apartment. Wire not an option.
Just trying to keep the sound down.
How the fuck is an external one more flexible? You would just have more wires to deal with.
My mobo does support full fan control.

>headphones are bad
I used to hate headphones too, until I invested a decent sum of money into a comfortable pair. I still wore uncomfortable headphones because the benefits still far outweighed the discomfort.
>budget build
It's a build with a set budget ($10,000), so in a literal sense, yes. But you're buying mid-tier components and don't even have a GPU, so pretty much everyone will agree that you've got a budget build.
>Closet full of VHS tapes and discs
good on you, captain hoarder.
>modern monitor
You're not going to have any trouble reading anything legibly-sized on the screen on any monitor 720p and up. If you're concerned with video game visuals, just downscale.

OP listed his stuff in So read the whole thread before you post next time.

But yea OP is still an imbecile.

You use PC Part's picker to pick the parts, hence the name. That way you can "virtually" build the machine, make sure it's budgeted correctly and then you order the parts.

>I do use my DVD drive daily.
Cool, you use it for archive storage but if you're on the price hit, Get a USB one, then you can just remove it as needed.

>Air Coolers are too loud.
Your GPU has an air cooler.
Your Radiator has an air cooler.
You're on an i5.
You probably chose a nosier setup actually if sound proofing was the way you wanted it.

>Router is in landlord's apartment. Wire not an option.
Fair enough

>Just trying to keep the sound down.
The only time I've had noisy fans is in a rack mount server. Sound has never been an issue for air cooling unless you're on an OC'd i7 at 100%.

>How the fuck is an external one more flexible? You would just have more wires to deal with.
Oh no, you have one additional USB cable going to a small drive you can unplug when you're done and put in a drawer, and then you can even plug it into your phone or laptop if needed holy shit that's so inconvenient.

>My mobo does support full fan control.
Then you could've saved yourself the money and just went with air cooling

Yes, you are an actual fucking downie, I'm assuming you bought 8gb of memory too?

There is no hope for you.

Sound-deadeining for case.
DVD Burners aren't that cheap.
You're wrong on RAM pricing.
It's a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card. It's the only part I regret.
850 evo isn't that cheap.
See, for specs

water coolers generally run quieter than a fan cooler. It's currently spinning at 700 rpm at 27 degrees. Fan coolers would never do that.

I have glasses and just can not seem to find a comfortable pair.
Not a hoarder, trying to get rid of them.
No but 1080p is quite bad vs 1440p.

water coolers generally run quieter than a fan cooler. It's currently spinning at 700 rpm at 27 degrees. Fan coolers would never do that.

Cool. What's your computer doing? I can tell yea nothing intensive anyway cause you don't have a $400 dollar GPU that you failed to factor into your $1000 budget.

You have less components making sound.
Liquid coolers run quieter than air coolers.
My room is dead quiet, you can hear a pin drop. So a PC at 40db is quite audible.
Internal DVD is just better to manage.

16gb

I can just increase the budget. Not a problem for me, just takes time. So now my budget is $1,400.

Well your PC is going to be at load and it's still going to make a ruckus with the water pump, cooler, small radiator, as well as fan on the 1070.

You'll hear it. Get headphones if noise is an issue

>I can just increase my budget and buy new parts later

You started this thread and asked if you fucked up with properly spending your money, which you did, as stated by every single reply.

It's fine, you fucked up on your first build. Maybe you'll learn from this and do better next time, maybe not. But stop trying to defend your neanderthalic decisions.

I ran my cooler fan at full speed and it was still pretty quiet.
Headphones are uncomfortable with glasses and I've yet to find one that is.

Yes, I realized my mistake. My budget was too small. Should have been bigger. But my next build will be cheaper than this since I have a ton of reusable parts now.

>Wi-Fi - $34
Why did you even buy this?

Thought it was good, but no. I hate it. It doesn't even work and been in limbo with Gigabyte to get them to fix it for over a couple months now.

Nar. If you just want to fap and shitpost on Sup Forums all day you will be fine.

Which is what I've been doing cause I've got no time. Although, I've thinking of using the GPU money towards buying a Switch.

there are so many fuck ups on that i dont even wanna have to try to explain
mobo, cooler, ssd (because of size), >seagate, case
honestly "1000" if you include the monitor is gonna be a budget build like it or not

Thinking about it. Probably yes. $1,500 is the ideal budget.