MacOS Virtual Machine

Is it possible to run a macOS VM which behaves similarly to a normal system? All of the major VM software seems to Just Work™ with Windows, but my impression from Googling is that it's complicated or impossible with macOS. My main goal is to avoid having to buy a terrible Mac Mini or extremely expensive iMac--I'd rather just pick up one of these fancy Ryzen chips and run a VM if possible.

To clarify, I'm looking to run a macOS guest on a Linux or Windows host.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!kZd01ZRC!j49bznphGjK3mOGXo9c7Vw
youtube.com/watch?v=IqffmlfJ0ko
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86
a.uguu.se/OAwSLqS4uKMh_Desktop02.24.2017-02.02.08.07.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Theres some hack for VMWare that makes it work really well. I found it here: mega.nz/#F!kZd01ZRC!j49bznphGjK3mOGXo9c7Vw

You have to have VMWare player installed first. And ofc you'll need a vdi with macos installed. You could follow this i guess.

youtube.com/watch?v=IqffmlfJ0ko

How's performance, and is it stable? If it's as unstable as a typical Hackintosh setup, I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy an iMac or a Mac Pro eventually.

it runs like poop in a vm
just make a hackintosh

>it runs like poop in a vm
Which VM have you tried? And are there any hackintosh setups which are completely stable? That's my main issue--I don't want to deal with instability and other such bullshit.

vmware

hackintosh is super easy and stable, everything just werks

actually it might have been virtualbox
either way it runs like cr*p, vram is limited to like 256mb and can't be changed, it's slow, little to no transparency effects, and where there is transparency it lags like crazy

>hackintosh is super easy and stable, everything just werks
lol nope

If this is your experience with hackintoshing, you basically won the lottery

how long has it been since you tried it
i literally just installed it like any other os
the only things i had to install after were a couple kexts for sound and ethernet

>hackintosh is super easy and stable, everything just werks
Do you use this as your main machine or are you just one of these memers who has it as a secondary/tertiary machine and doesn't care much? I want a system for work and day-to-day usage, not for tinkering and dicking around with.

main machine
haven't had any problems with it

Do Messages (iMessage) and FaceTime work? Does it freeze/crash/etc?

I find it hard to believe someone with a bunch of pink/pedo shit on his desktop is a trustworthy source for this information

if you set it up correctly (get a working serial, you can get fake ones that work if you know how), yes
there are guides for that and it's not difficult

never had any freezing or crashing

*her

what did he mean by this?

If only that was actually you in the picture

I understand you, I'm a girl and also have a cute pink desktop rice. No OSX though, that's gay.

Is it possible? See pic.

Is it worth it? See pic.

Is it difficult? Not really.

Is it stable? Of course.

How's performance? Well, it works, and yes it'll perform a bit slower than it would on actual bare-metal hardware but that's to be expected. How fucking fast do you need an OS to actually be? How fast is fast?

Been using OSX/macOS in a VM off and on since 2005 (seriously) and I still do (as the pic shows).

>a bit slower
that's and understatement
try opening launchpad lol

>How's performance? Well, it works, and yes it'll perform a bit slower than it would on actual bare-metal hardware but that's to be expected. How fucking fast do you need an OS to actually be? How fast is fast?
Can I watch a video at 60 FPS? That's my benchmark.

>try opening launchpad lol
>idiots trying to be funny
>trying being the operative word there

As stated, it works fine in a VM and it's slower than bare-metal hardware which is of course how it's supposed to be considering the nature of virtual machines to begin with.

If you're expecting full blown bare-metal capable performance in a VM, even with the latest and greatest hardware like a Ryzen CPU or Intel's flagships, you're just not understanding how VMs work or why they exist. It's not about having the best possible performance, it's about being able to actually use multiple OSes at one time and be more productive overall.

If you want super fast bare-metal performance, go fucking buy the bare-metal hardware.

it's not just "a little slow" it's freaking unusable

>unusable

And yet everything works, including Launchpad, Final Cut Pro, Logic, and every other fucking software application supported on OSX/macOS to this day.

Just a bit slower than the bare-metal version will, but it all works just fine.

Bitch.

>a bit slower
you keep saying that, have you ever even used it outside of a vm? it's a massive difference

>As stated, it works fine in a VM and it's slower than bare-metal hardware which is of course how it's supposed to be considering the nature of virtual machines to begin with.
It's pure shit and there's no video acceleration of any kind.

I don't think you know much about virtual machines. Stop using the term "bare metal" like you're some kind of experienced professional. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

performance is trash
performance won't be good in a vm any time soon
it runs like shit in pretty much every vm host
including vmware workstation, virtualbox, vmware fusion, and parallels

performance is fine in esxi with pcie passthrough.

I know exactly what it means, and as stated I've been using VMs since basically VMware itself was founded (and I worked for them in those days). And as stated it's not about having the best performance, it's about being able to do it, period.

I know more than you, son, that's what matters.

lol your really dumb
dont reply to me anymore

>I know more than you, son, that's what matters.
You sound like a 27-year-old pizza delivery man who tinkers with VMWare in his spare time. At best you're some low-level IT shithead.
this, memes aside

>lol your really dumb
>you're

>dont reply to me anymore
>don't

You're not helping your case, son.

you have been using mac os in a virtual machine ever since before mac os ran on intel processors?

your not helping you're case baka

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86

The first working instance of OSX in a virtual machine was back in September of 2005. Apple had been using Intel CPUs since early 2005 in their own labs and then released the original Intel Developer Transition Kit for $1000 (a MacPro that had Intel hardware inside).

I only use my vm for xcode but it works for me. I've upgraded it many times and fucked around with video drivers inside the guest which has caused some visual issues, maybe it would be better on a fresh install. Video related
a.uguu.se/OAwSLqS4uKMh_Desktop02.24.2017-02.02.08.07.mp4

Not that user but I still do that. Pic related.

Have you tried PCIe passthrough?

how do you fucking do it? i'm not running some sketchy patched version of vmware from the pirate bay either

I've read about it before and apparently x58 motherboards support VT-D but my bios has no option for it.

VM works "fine" and is really easy and fast to get up, but the fact that GPU is limited to 128meg "generic" means it's unuseable, as osx uses gpu for everything and it all stutters beyond belief, including virtual desktop switching, scrolling, everything.

as for hackintosh, any1 knows if x79 boards and gtx 10xx are supported in sierra by default? kinda want to try it out but don't want to waste time if it's going to crap itself

So how do I actually go about making a hackintosh? I have a pascal graphics card but I'm willing to run on Intel HD graphics. I don't have a mac to make the USB installer though.

How can I figure out if my hardware will work, and work into the future?

Right, because everyone runs ESXi on their desktop.

You need to take a break from Sup Forums my man.

passthrough m8

People who intend to virtualize do.

yeah but some sperg ITT is talking like he knows what he's talking about but in reality he doesn't know anything.

Asus right?

Intel HD graphics is supported natively, I don't know about Pascal.
The easiest way would be to download a pre-setup macOS VMware image, and boot that, download the OS from the App store and create your install USB from the virtual machine.

>How can I figure out if my hardware will work
Check Tonymacx86

EVGA.

Yes but you must download special bootable disk to install or download a preinstalled VM. Most torrents have instructions inside along with the version the VM image is reported to work. As for the stability i have a 10.6 and 10.10 OSX VM with linux hosts running for production. No issues after 7 months. I use mine for special programs that are not available anywhere but OSX

>as osx uses gpu for everything and it all stutters beyond belief, including virtual desktop switching, scrolling, everything.
No it doesn't you fucking retard. If you're running it at high resolutions, even real Macs lag and stutter like shit.
>t. rMBP13 owner here

you mean like pci-e gpu passthrough to VM?
I would still need some radeon or older nvidia card for that, wouldn't I?

That doesn't prove him wrong dumb dumb.

Older radeon or nvidia, you had them the wrong way around. Although the RX 480 does work.

On a Linux host you can use KVM/QEMU with GPU passthrough for really good performance, though it can be a rather pain to set up the first time. There are a multitude of guides to help you however, so you'll get there in the end.

GPU Passthrough is pretty much the only way to get good performance on macOS. Reason being that drivers isn't developed for macOS like on Windows/Linux. Mainly because of Apple's ToS and licensing which disallows anyone to virtualize macOS without owning a Mac with a certain license and can only be emulated while macOS is the host, so on and so forth.

Try it out if you can.

>I would still need some radeon or older nvidia card for that, wouldn't I?
Using GPU passthrough would simply hook that card into macOS. So not really for any other OS, but for macOS - Yes you would.

The reason for that is that the GTX 10xx series does not support macOS yet. Pascal support is zero, even for Hackintoshers. So if you have a 10xx it will not work with macOS regardless if you pass it or not.

Though something like a GTX 9xx would work. I dunno about AMD, you'd need to check if the AMD card has any hackintosh success stories in that case.