ITS: Patrician Technology

Distinguished Sirs,

In this here strand we only display patrician technology. None of that galling plebeian rabble belongs in here! Exhibit your voguish asset in aristocrat machinery and let the commoners underside your post screech in opposition to your nobleman possession while you sip a cup of tea.

With Cordial good wishes,
ElisabethR

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181103
tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-3-cpu-cooler,4350-2.html
youtu.be/LA_qVVhvZaY
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213001
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4G39920
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what the fuck am i reading

p.s. i have that cooler on my (((i5 7600k))), it's pretty good

ebin

$90 for an air cooler, for an air cooler that's not much better than a wraith cooler.
Another $10-20 and you could have have a nice 240mm AIO watercooler, that on the RARE occasion that if it leaked the manufacture would have to purchase you new parts. That's if they were damaged by the non conductive fluid.

Fucking nocturna shills.

what the fuck is ITS

If mine fails I replace a fan.

If yours fails you replace the whole unit.

If mine has a catastrophic fail I replace 2 fans

If yours has a catastrophic fail you replace the whole computer.

>*Bubble Bubble*

Oh, you hear that ? It's your AIO cooler counting down to it's own annihilation.

>If mine fails I replace a fan.
A $40 fan
>If yours fails you replace the whole unit.
But I'll still have a wraith cooler to use while I wait.
>If mine has a catastrophic fail I replace 2 fans
But I'll still have a wraith cooler to use while I wait.
>If yours has a catastrophic fail you replace the whole computer.
Semi free upgrades.

Also, if the pump fails your CPU is going to hit 110°c in a couple minutes if the system fails to shut off, while a tower cooler would be fine with no airflow.

>CPU is going to hit 110°c in a couple minutes if the system fails to shut off, while a tower cooler would be fine with no airflow.
>if the system fails to shut off,
That's a pretty rare if.
>while a tower cooler would be fine with no airflow.
citation?

But what about pump breaking or internal corrosion?
Heatpipes are the superior no-moving-parts space-proven technology

Things they work hard to avoid. Think they'd be selling for $100 if every 10th broke or fucked a PC? They'd be bankrupted.

>Another $10-20 and you could have have a nice 240mm AIO watercooler.
That performs worse

But what about long term?
Being able to reuse good parts on newer hardware is nice

>A $40 fan
We are talking patrician technology here, you afraid to spend money?
>Semi free upgrades
If you don't mind reinstalling your OS and potentially losing all the data, sure. Oh, and if you are a Windows holdout you may get replaced with hardware that doesn't work for your OS. If you aren't you just have to go from something that worked amazing to something subpar. Like going from my i7 clocked at 5 GHZ to one weakly binned in the silicon lottery. Still, enjoy those minor temperature increases.

My bad. The h100i v2 is on sale
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181103

Also WTF. My 8350 only goes to 39c under 100% load.

>$40 fan
who the fuck buys a $40 fan? I could fucking install a $3 fan and be done with it

>But I'll still have a wraith cooler to use while I wait.
Kek. Going stock just because your whole cooler failed. Fuck that

>Semi free upgrades
Kill yourself faggot. Semi free upgrades, my ass. Shelling money to buy new components because your AIO failed and catastrophically wrecked your whole system is absolutely retarded tier.

Not him but I once accidentally forgot to connect the tower fans to my motherboard.
Literally max temp when I was playing games was around 65C..lol

NH-D15 is also more silent than most AIO, which is very important for me.

Ive just today got delivery of my new cooler, got a h80i so this was a drunken buy last night.

>Literally max temp when I was playing games was around 65C..lol
Ye and not only that, if you play with VSYNC, CPUs are often not required to run at 100% lately if you got a good Intel with good single-thread performance (which again a good cooler helps at for overclocking).
Some say VSYNC worsens latency but it's generally BS because it also smoothens the picture which I believe is a better improvement that minor latency benefits.
Or with the latest freesync/gsync techs not even that is there, though I find those not required for single-player/non-competitive gaming and non-fps.

I have an AM4 upgrade bracket and a 3-way 4-pin splitter in the mail.

Isn't be quiet! coolers louder than noctua and AIOs at higher temps?

tomshardware.com/reviews/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-3-cpu-cooler,4350-2.html

I literally just bought the AM4 edition of this

hopefully it's as good as everybody says it is.

and is also louder.

I fell for the watercooling meme once. never again.

Also, I bought it for $15 off ($75) during the newegg President's Day sale. I already had the 120mm. (I have it on a cheap heatsink.)

Sigh, why can't Sup Forums ever agree on anything? I think I have my mind set, I get determined, then someone comes in and says that idea was wrong. I just want an all-knowing God man, is that too much to ask?

just got this in the mail.

I have a d15, but the fucker is so huge and a pain in the ass to clean. I almost want to get an AIO for my next system simply so that I can clean the fans out easily rather than struggling with it. I don't really care about the noise because of tinnitus, so sleeping in a room with no background noise is damn near impossible.

Looks pretty good. If I didn't already have an NH-D15 I would have gotten these.

This is dumb as shit do a graph of noise vs temp instead

youtu.be/LA_qVVhvZaY

It's been that price for months on Amazon

If the fain fails, this is what repalces it
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213001

or

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4G39920

or wait on an rma if you are under warranty, but lets face it, you got noctua, that shit will die 4 years after the warranty is up.

then with a fan controller the deta fan is now nice, cool, and relatively quiet, or fuckin loud but literally cant buy a better fan for cooling.

nah, you get at least a 15$ b-gears, don't want to put under powered shit on the cooler, along with noctua being the best for static pressure means you need to have some heft behind it or else its worse than before.

the latency can be really bad, as in up to half a second, granted this is rare but I would take screen tearing over v sync lag.

That said, limit the fps in the gpu driver, that has non of the negatives that vsync has but also none of the positives like mitigating screen tearing.

if your pc has good airflow outside of cpu fans, the fins still radiate heat and it can be taken out of the case.

AIO's use shitty pumps and generally crappy fans,

a good pump is silent even when it's shitting out enough water to 100% replace a loop every 3 seconds.

Good fans are near silent if not silent, bad fans are in that 35~db range and 40~ cfm to show for it.

noctua has one of the best fan designs in computers that isn't brute forcing it, along with one of the best coolers you can buy.

AiO ticking time bomb made to last about 3yrs nice meme friendo

will this is true i prefer Phantek CPUcooler and fans, they come in better colors where even the heatskins are color and its only 1°C warmer while being 24€ cheaper

looking at newegg... they are effectively the same, but noctua has one of the best mounting solutions of any cooler currently made, so the extra 5-15 depending on where you get it is worth it for me in that case, also like the look of noctua fans, but I fully accept I am in the minority there.

AIOs are actually not that bad. you shouldn't have any issues with them and they'll do a good job of cooling your CPU. it's just that equivalently priced air coolers are just a little bit better.

one advantage of closed loop water coolers is aesthetics. heatsink+fan coolers look like ass. the H100i is fucking gorgeous.

custom loops are another ordeal altogether and should be done for the sake of ricing and customization. not with the expectation that it'll be better. even if you go for a crazy loop with like 2 pumps, two radiators, 1 CPU block and 3 GPU blocks I still don't think it's worth the massive expense of time and money it incurs.

Does it matter? Ghetto companies like AMD pre-overclock anyway so you won't be able to push much. This is a patrician thread, get out.

Stop being stupid and realize Sup Forums is not good for advice, it's for vending to see what the kids believe (and they usually believe wrong things), if you want sound advice or discussion go to overclock.net.
Sure, there are some idiots there too but much fewer.

>or wait on an rma
Those coolers work largely by the hitsink area/volume alone, there is literally 0 reason to have fans at all if you don't use a regular CPU above 80% capacity. And even if you game, if VSYNC(or similar tech) is on chances are CPU doesn't even touch 20%.
One could claim that since they work largely by the sink device alone, they have limits, but the thing is to get a water cooler to beat easily but also securely, you have to spend - without exaggeration - 8X as much or more because most similarly priced are either unstable or unreliable shit or just limited shit that are not worth it. The best alternative is a crappy all-in-one that might either completely break, or kill your rest of the hardware out of nowhere.
In general it's a fucking mess. In this age where most people need a string GPU and a good single-threaded CPU with 2 to 4 good cores and plenty of cache, a stationary sink is the best idea, by far.

>H100i is fucking gorgeous
Tech literate people see ugliness on bad technology. When I see at that tech I can at first recognize the beauty you're talking about it. Once I realize how monolithic, one-piece and insecure it is compared to a robust stationary heatsink, I find ugliness on it.

>H100i is fucking gorgeous
Tech literate people see ugliness on bad technology. When I stare at that tech I can at first recognize the beauty you're talking about it. Once I realize how monolithic, one-piece and insecure it is compared to a robust stationary heatsink, I find ugliness on it.

>patrician
>build
>not MBPR
OK

um...
yes and no.

You need to pass the stagnant heat off. so you need at least A fan. The best solution would be if there were hot swappable 120-240mm fans that tapered down to just pass through some filters and out the back of the case, but that's largely impractical to build it yourself.

as for water, you are spending 140-160$ for a triple fan rad, something that can reliably cool a cpu better then a d15

as for water itself. and this is how I would do it.

a 55 gallon drum is about 70$, fittings to add in tubes would be 5-10$ along with 5$ silicone.
tubes cost 20$ but you can get cheap as shit tube for around 10$ as you are literally keeping less then 1 foot in the case, 3 feet outside, before you got 2 dripless quick releases would be 5-10$ each, reusable for pretty much god damn ever, 74$ on a water block that will fit every pc you ever get, and pump, im fairly sure 30-40$ is all you need for a silent at max pump. 12$ for top end fittings and you are done.

Its fucking stupid price at around 250~$ but it is hands down the best setup you can get, as it would be 100% silent with only a 240mm fan in the front or however big the fan you can put in is, to push stagnant air over the vrms, hdds and other shit that could use the "passive" cooling.

The problem with those custom watering conglomerates is that when you look at the big and wide picture, CPUs nowadays aren't really extremely important especially if you vsync/freesync/gsync (and you should always since minuscule latency advantages are never worth teared video, even in competitive gaming), so you mainly need stuff that keep something cool when it's at max 80% CPU capacity and those passive heatsinks do that well anyway.
So the main reason for one to get a good heatsink is to keep noise down when the CPU is at those 20% to 70-80% ranges and what is better than passive heatsinks, or max with 1 slow big fan only and nothing else.

Also is his fails it pretty much stops cooling altogether.

If yours fails it will still cool the processor, just not as well. Those big towers can cool some chips passively with ease. AIO's fall over with that shit.

Never mind
already covered it