Windows Phone Thread

How about a thread about the best mobile OS?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/windows-phone-8/development/xap-adblocker-windows-phone-8-x-t3178203
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.appmatcher
fortune.com/2016/09/16/smartphone-users-apps/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How about a thread about how best OS killed the best phone company?

Pajeet...

you started it wrong!

This is now a "Is there an App for That" thread
Ask about specific apps that are for X and/or can do Y
Remember to bump the thread

for starters here we go

Sup Forums apps:
F10, imageboard Sup Forumsrowser (ad free is called Sup Forums Sup Forumsrowser, Sage Reader (lurk only)

popular messanger:
Discord Client, Telegram, WhatsApp, Viber

YouTube: MyTube/Beta, Tubecast

SoundCloud: SoundClouda, SoundByte

Music player: Holla, ZBox

Video/webm: VLC, CNX Player

looking for specific ones? Just ask. Also OP you lazy fuck

>windows has Sup Forums apps
>you can't install Sup Forums browser without raping your warranty on iOS
holy shit

>windows has Sup Forums apps
these are only the one's worth mentioning, actually there almost is always an app for that on Windows if it's popular enough since small dev often earn some money this way even if they only charge about a dollar
SNapchat of course not tho, thx Spiegel

I have 200+ Apps installed on my 950 and plenty more in my Library I'm sure I can help you find something you need, and yes there are adblocker like AdAway for Windows Phones

AdAway is for Android

I said LIKE

It's nothing fancy but work very well and despite the writing is runs on WM10 as well

I think those are dead

Lumia as brand and in consumer market they are. But They will be rebranded as Surface very soon. Also in enterprise they are still a very wise option. NYPD and some German police departments are having all phones replaced by windows phones now
forgot to mention that this ad blocker is system wide by default so it will also block ads in apps

bump

it's pretty fast and comfy, but the lack of good apps is sad and it's very painful to develop and deploy anything for it

sounds depressing

This is b8 m8

what's depressing about this?
I only stated some which are pretty much used
are yoiu looking for some app or just stating something? Because I'm sure I could find something that can do task X

I'm fucking excited about the future of Windows phone. I used Windows Phone back in the WP7 days (a mid range Nokia and then an HTC something, I forget the model numbers). I'm on Android now, but the fact that Microsoft is bringing full Windows 10 on ARM to mobile with win32 emulation makes me feel like I'm living in the future. I'm sure that in the next few years, my next laptop will be something like the "lapdock" for the Elite x3.

not looking for apps, I've used windows for quite a while. just stating the fact that it's very painful to make anything for it and there aren't many quality apps on the platform compared to android and ios

just having to use third party apps for popular stuff

Almost same here, even bought an Andriod and an iPhone after having my 950 to see what I "miss" actually nothing. My 950 still is my daily driver. Got rid of that iToy just today as well.

3rd party apps are often better than first party, sure they are slow to update but just take mytube for example, it is everything newpipe is trying to be and has more features

I agree that there aren't much quality apps but since there still are new releases even of games and having high quality apps like nextgen reader it's okay

It's not on Windows Store

of course not it will require an interop unlock as well which is a fancy name for root, you can find everything on xda

forum.xda-developers.com/windows-phone-8/development/xap-adblocker-windows-phone-8-x-t3178203

>3rd party apps are often better than first party
oh no, I agree, I often use third party apps on android. it's more just the fact that these huge services like soundcloud and youtube don't even bother making their shitty apps for windows

how's this depressing?
It would be some to cheer if you look at it this way

because it's a sign of an os that no one cares about, which in turn is likely to create a bad user experience

I mean google/youtube essentially wants everyone on the planet to have an account with them, so if windows isn't even on their radar, it's unlikely to be on the radar of smaller developers/services as well. which is true - the windows app store is a wasteland for the most part

I think Microsoft should open up their platform a little bit, at least to developers. They could at least allow sideloading and get rid of the stupid developer fees they charge. They're stupid rich, they can hire an army of curators and have each app submission undergo QA testing. Wonder why Nutella hasn't done this kind of thing still.

question is Microsoft word excel power point stuff are free on windows phone? like editing and saving stuff? sorry I don't have windows phone so. And how do I know which apps available/not available on android or windows phone ?

I have a friend that works as an engineer in Vodafone. He swears Windows for Phones is amazing on those free ones they gave them. baka nigger.

Office came preinstalled with my Lumia. There's a list of apps available by platforms somewhere, google it.

lol

>They could at least allow sideloading
They do since 2 years almost now
also they did verything even importing codes 1-1, it just because Microsoft is not popular. Normies think about pc problems they can't fix when they hear windows, they simply don't want it on a phone.
In reality it's the best for a power user even

they were 100% free on 8.0/8.1 now requirers a O365 licence like everywhere else.
there is one app for Andriod which would look the Windows Store for apps that you are looking for but it's outdated. What apps are you looking for?

also I'm gonna start namefagging since I'm the only one who keeps this thread running and I'm planning on making this a weekly general

It was available on 8, went away when I updated to 8.1. Didn't even bother to check on Windows 10.

I'm talking about sideloading

here it is, but like I said the search algorythm is shit and won't really show correct result but try
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.appmatcher

well what did you meant?

>botnet
>no market share
>shitty apps
who thought this was a good idea?

you could sideload apps in 8, but not after the 8.1 update. I didn't bother to check if sideloading is available on Windows 10.

>botnet
far less than Google
>no market share
blame OEMs and carriers
>shitty apps
that's what happens if you load fake apps

it is available on WM10

>>botnet
Impossible to avoid if you own any phone. Even by owning a flip phone, the government can track where you are and who you call/text at all times. Them knowing I shitpost on Sup Forums from my phone isn't much worse.

>>no market share
Doesn't really make the consumer experience worse.

>>shitty apps
I don't currently own a Windows Phone, so I can't comment on that directly. But studies show that most iOS and Android users barely download any new apps in a month, and they stop using them pretty quickly too. fortune.com/2016/09/16/smartphone-users-apps/

All a smartphone OS really needs is a good browser, good social media apps, and a few games. That's about all that people use. If Windows Phone had Snaphat, 99% of normies would be just fine on Windows Phone.

that developer fees thing is still there though

You can make a 'student' device account tho which is free. And since Visual Studio is free now too that's all bad.

Also good night bump

Can you do it on windows 10?

Sure you can. There's an additional guide for interop unlock if the phone was shipped with 10. If you only upgraded you can follow the unlock guide for WP8. Should be all linked in that xda thread
I'm more tired than I thought I am
I meant student development account, and that it is not that bad

Damn I forgot to quote

Surely this will be my last post for tonight

Thank you for the answer user and have a good night.

>gf's phone suddenly shuts down for no reason
>try to power on again
>stuck in a boot loop
>couldn't break out of it any way, not even with softreset
>had to hard reset and thus lost all her data

>best mobile OS
If it was android I could have easily recovered all her data through adb.

>not putting all your data on onedrive

baka desu

Daily reminder that meathead retards and whores use iphones, alphas and Pajeets use Android based phones and absolute 400 pound nerd virgins use windowe phones

>look at me I'm different!
>but really, the windows phone was $59 cheaper than that android and that's all I could afford with my neetbux

Just buy a xiaomi or other chinkshit and stop posting these threads

am a pajeet, I use sailfish

checkmate

1. The deadest mobile OS.
2. The worst mobile OS.

Honestly, W10 Mobile is pretty good interface wise, it's just the lack of apps and support that kills it

>can't even play Love Live in this shit

>playing weeb shit

the android and iphone shilling on Sup Forums is really fucking annoying
can't have a third (3rd) mobile OS on the market without the autists flipping their shit
kinda hilarious, but also sad
Sup Forums was a mistake

pic related, it's you faglords

I thought I could play Forza Horizon 3 on the go, I was wrong, Microsoft tricked me

Please.. Nokia had financial problems thats why they went whit microsoft. Whit the money from the deal they bouhht NokiaSiemens solutions and alcatel or what is that french mobile company. And that fancy fitnes/health company that scale and track watch. Nokia is back whit new phones running android

Implying Android never had boot loops
You know there are people who care about safety but don't want an iToy, but still want to controll every aspect of the device. Windows Mobile is for those people
They never said that. It a cross play game between pc and Xbox. Not phones. If you look close at the Windows Store you can see on what device the app runs, even on those titles which are Played, Anywhere only a PC and Xbox is pictured.
You are a fool if you think a game with such graphics could just run on a phone.
However it's possible to stream Xbox content to your Windows Phone, even games

For windows yes. Microsoft office apps are free and you can create and edit/save/open your works. I know I'm a 26yrs old hero that fast mid lecture managed to do a good powerpoint presentation whit my L650 (I don't have no office sub)

The thing is when it was clear that they would only produce Wps now, people bought their phones just because of the OS and maybe Hardware.
The new Nokia Andriods have very mediocre hardware at least the 6 and 5. I doubt they will be bought as much as when they run Windows Mobile
If that's true than they changed it again. You needed one if you connect the phone to another display and used continuum

Still on 8.1 I see, low end device.?

>the fact that Microsoft is bringing full Windows 10 on ARM to mobile with win32 emulation makes me feel like I'm living in the future.

the fact that you think win32 perpetuation is futuristic is what makes me think I live in the age of morons.

However it would fix a big part of the app gap which would make the devices more attractive for consumers as well

I don't give a shit about the underlying technology. What feels futuristic to me is being able to use a phone as a laptop or a desktop because phones are powerful enough to replace laptops and desktops in some scenarios now.

ya ok.

good luck flipping out your WIN32 gui garbage with shitall scaling and inflexibly sized widgets and non-responsive layouts.

moron.

Also it really makes you wonder why M$ went the route of emulating win32 instead of actually porting it to ARM

and yet you're implying that some shitty nonfree legacy garbage lib somehow empowers this 'future?'

... Did you manually accept backup for media, apps, contacs and messages, callendar etc? If not, your problem for being a hero

640XL
used 10 for sometime and it's literally the worst POS os i've ever used.

>good luck flipping out your WIN32 gui garbage with shitall scaling and inflexibly sized widgets and non-responsive layouts.
You do know that W10 has adaptive scaling and that the emulation will only be present in continuum mode right?

>Also it really makes you wonder why M$ went the route of emulating win32 instead of actually porting it to ARM
Just how dumb are you? You can't just turn every Win32 app in to a Uwp, it would take decades

Upgrade to W10 it is a whole different experience

Like what build were you on? A final or when it still was a tech preview?

What the hell.. Where is microsofts logic. Why do they restrict the functionality to small screen(mobile environment). Yes in my l650 when using office products it asks me " do you want to upgrade". I have a Iphone 5s, work phone, workplace benefits, I don't like it ( my personal opinion) but if you want to edit office, must have a office sub

I've experienced it since it was called preview and waited until the anniversary update and they still didn't fix most of the common issues with the os. Switching back to 8.1 made me realize why I bought Windows Phone in the first place. It's literally the best OS if you don't care about muh apps.

That is true, that's why I bought my lumias and not htc

>and yet you're implying that some shitty nonfree legacy garbage lib somehow empowers this 'future?'
FOSS has never been the market leader in the consumer space. Keep dreaming about the "year of the linux desktop" that's never ever going to happen.

Again, I wasn't talking about the specifics of the software, I was talking about the USER EXPERIENCE it enables. Get that through your thick skull. I'm excited about the possibility of your phone being your laptop and your desktop and your HTPC etc etc.

>Just how dumb are you? You can't just turn every Win32 app in to a Uwp, it would take decades

just how dumb are you?
WIN32 emulation is just a crutch because retards like you for some reason demand to keep that legacy garbage rolling.

M$ clearly has zero interest taking their unportable codebase known as WIN32 and actually target their ARM releases of wangblows.

>"market leader in the consumer space"
I came into this thread to tell you to hang yourself.

what prevents your phone from being that in the first place?

why does one particular, and very bad, software framework enable your phone to be more than 'just a phone?'

It was because of continuum they were afraid that people just bought these because of free office. Let's keep in mind here that it's their main income and they would loose a lot of money if they would allow to run full office on a 280$ phone
They actually fixed all of those. Guess you did not join the 'insider' rings those got weekly updates which fixes shit. Currently we are at build 15043

This-> Could not said it better myself

(You)
> legacy garbage rolling.
Yeah because it is possible to upgrade every shitty little PC including atms to upgrade to W10 and just call it a day

how is installing wndows 10 considered an upgrade?

Go ahead, show me when FOSS had 51% of the market in any consumer market.

>what prevents your phone from being that in the first place?
I have an Android phone. I can't turn that into a desktop or laptop and do everything I want to with it.

With win32 emulation, I could dock my phone into a "lapdock" and run photoshop or do some light gaming or whatever else I wanted. And this would be cheaper than owning a phone and a laptop, since a "lapdock" wouldn't need very powerful hardware to operate.

he stated that win32 must die and since Win10 is the last gen that allows to run non win32 apps it would require every maschine to run W10 in order to not run win32

>the only Windows Phone on Verizon is the Lumia 735 from 2014

I feel so cheated. My family used to be on T-Mobile, but my dad's job gets him a discount on Verizon which puts them on par with T-Mobile in terms of price. T-Mobile's coverage wasn't great around our house, so I convinced my parents to switch because they all have iPhones that support Verizon and T-Mobile, so nobody would need to buy a new phone (I have a 6p, which also works on both networks).

But Verizon somehow has worse coverage right at our house, and the fucking HOA voted against letting them install a cell tower in the neighborhood a few years ago. So now I have worse coverage and I'm stuck on a CDMA carrier when all the interesting phones are GSM.

>inb4 being on your parents plan makes you underage
I'm 21, my parents are just generous and keep paying for me and my siblings phone service.

The 735 is still one of the best Wps still have mine, it has a gorgeous body and slightly curved edges

It has a 720p screen and micro USB (I'm trying to switch everything I own to USB C because it's convenient to only need one charger and one cable for everything, also no dongles). I might consider it if my phone broke and I needed a backup phone in a pinch while I wait for something like a Surface phone, but it'd definitely be a downgrade from my 6p.

too lazy to upgrade, 930 8.1

Yeah somewhat true it is a pain to look for USB C cable for my 950 so I bought two micro USB to C adapters for just 2$ on banggood
>too lazy
What?!
you only have to download a single app and than check your update settings

if upgrading isnt like how shitty it is like in win10 pc, i might try it sure
dont really see the point upgrading though, i have everything i need with 8.1

It's dumb easy to upgrade the phone, you'd just have to download "Upgrade Advisor" and follow two instructions doesn't even take long.
For the tile transparency slider and the larger app selection as well as improvements of the default apps are reason enough for me to upgrade

>botnet
>far less than Google

Muhuhuh but google is worse guyz. They all farm the same amount of data and hand them to the NSA. Google just used to grab more data for commercial which Microsoft catched up with with W10 and WP. Stealing user data is probalby the only reason WP even exist you fuckhead

>and absolute 400 pound nerd virgins use windowe phones

Literally nobody uses Windows Phones. WHen was the last time you ever saw somebody with one?

Sure because there's absolutely no difference between an ad company and software distributer

>Literally nobody uses Windows Phones

I just finished a trial of 25 Lumia 950XL's running Continuum as desktop replacements. It worked well enough that I just ordered 200 HP Elite X3's.

Reminder - Microsoft gives almost zero fucks about the end user market with regards to Windows and Office. Money is made in enterprise, and features trickle down.

>I just finished a trial of 25 Lumia 950XL's running Continuum as desktop replacements. It worked well enough that I just ordered 200 HP Elite X3's.
keep in mind that X3's can act quirky with MSFT's Continuum Dock, no idea why but you may have to connect them twice in order to make it work

What exactly do you do that put you in that position?

The last person I saw who had one was a legitimate autistic kid. not even kidding

well that's likely because the live tiles are appealling to him/her
they are not only useful in terms of providing informations but very user friendly as well. They are also ideal for elderly people

>keep in mind that X3's can act quirky with MSFT's Continuum Dock
They seem to work better when using display port monitors, but I'll be issuing the HP Desk Dock's with the X3's.

>What exactly do you do that put you in that position?
Sr. Systems Engineer (yay me?) Almost all the responsibilities of the CTO, without the pay.

Though I shouldn't really complain too much. I make... enough, and get to average a 35 hour work week, with the added bonus of being able to keep the decom gear if I want it.

Aren't you worried about the Elite x3 becoming outdated as soon as Snapdragon 835 Windows Phones come out and will have full Windows 10 on ARM (at least that's how I understand it)?