/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

omegawatches.com/speedytuesday/
theverge.com/2017/2/24/14733228/seiko-chariot-series-watch-apple-steve-jobs-1984-potrait
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>When you piss off the fuckers and ninefag

Where my 38mm divers at

That guide is terrible.

lol 20$ for a watch. Come on

First for high quality LCD watches.

Stainless steel case, stainless steel bracelet with solid links and solid end links, solar charging, radio atomic sync, and electroluminescent backlight.

did someone who knows nothing about watches make this?

What precisely is wrong with it?

Looks accurate to me.

It looks accurate to you because you're as much of a pleb as the guy who made it.

That probably is the guy who made it.

What about Swatches?
I have a Once Again

Is the band around the edge solar?

Probably. That would explain the apparent wires/lines in that area.

It's also amazingly comfortable on the wrist. I'm really impressed with this watch to be honest famalamas.

You never answered my question about meeting up and touching watches

They're literally designed to be disposable. That said, I want a genji.

As I recall, I said there was a possibility for the watches, but not for the penises.

Ok I'll need to get my passport though. Where am i driving ?

I always liked the pictures of people in their tiers in this
feels right man

>grand seikos $2000<
Lolwut other than the quartz they are mostly 3k+
And Breitling better than GS? Lmao absolute pleb tier chart made by someone who watches archie once

Hello friends I am new here
What is a tool watch?

Thank you,
R.H

>Tool watch

It's a watch that is built for a specific purpose - like a dive watch, or military. Their emphasis is practical and less on jewellery.

OK thank you
What makes a military watch a military watch and would dress watches come under that category?

Military watches are generally defined as watches that were built to a military standard (or are at least look like it.)

Various Military watch standards in American history:

GG-W-113
A11
MIL-W-3818A
MIL-W-50717

Dress watches are formal watches usually made of precious metals and minimal adornment. Not similar to military use watches.

>"finally obtained my grail watch!"
> $400 Seiko

When will people understand that grail watches aren't watches you need to save up for a fee weeks for?

How can you tell someone else what they want? Are you retarded?

That's not at all what I'm saying.

>Are you retarded?

I think you are for having zero comprehension skills.

>REMINDER CASIO'S PLASTICKY DOGSHITS ARE THE MOST REDDIT-TIER WATCHES

What's wrong with invicta?

They only made one good watch

?

No he's right, maybe watches that aren't more expensive don't appeal at all the person. That $400 watch truly is their grail. The best of the best for them.

Grail comes from "the quest for the holy grail". A grail isn't just a watch you want. It's a watch of high value that takes you a long time of saving and suffering to obtain.

I want a seiko alpinist but it's not "grail" I'll be ordering one as soon as I'm paid this month. I didn't have to save or suffer.

How do you know that person didn't have to save for a long time for a $400 watch? Plenty of people think that is a ridiculous amount to spend on a watch/jewelry

A watch can be difficult to obtain without being particularly expensive, especially in the case of vintage watches.

People aren't posting vintage though. "Grail" has come to mean "watch I wanted" on reddit.

this is probably the wrong thread for it but any recommendations on smartwatches?

GWM-5610

Real fuckin smaaaaht

So I just read that no Patek watch has hacking.

Lol wtf?

They're shitters user. I'm sorry I had to be the one to break it to you.

If you're patek rich you dont need exact time :^)

Exactly. Archie has one and he doesn't even have a job!

>when you see someone wearing Frederique constant

> $1000 quartz watches

How do they sleep at night?

On a pile of money with many beautiful ladies

>REMINDER THIS GUY OWNS NEITHER LUXURY OR REDDIT TIER DIGITAL WATCHES, BUT ACTUALLY OWNS AN INVICTA

Post your watches

Does being a youtube celeb actually make bank? Archie had no job, buys 20k watches and takes frequent holidays

He's nigger rich.

i.e. everything is financed. Probably in his mother's name

Occasionally when the crediters start calling he needs to sell a watch quick.

He has multiple rolexes for sale on his website. I think watch sales might actually be his "job"

It used to be. His job now is stealing seeds from pigeons being fed by old ladies in the park.

he isnt a youtube celeb.

Right here.

> 38mm watch

Post tits

Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 it 8/8

>Chr. Ward

Can't deal with reality/10

I don't see you making a better chart, bitch.

What the watch did you just say about me, with your little wrists? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Patek Haute 'De Horology and I’ve been involved in numerous watchmaking meetings in Geneva! and I have over 300 confirmed NATOs. I am trained in watchmaking and I’m the top strap changer in the entire Seiko factory. You are nothing to me but just another rolex wearer. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my words. You think you can get away with saying that to me over the Internet? Think again, leather wearer. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of watchmakers across Switzerland and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your watch collection. You’re done collecting, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can ban you from any AD in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my phone. I have access to the entire arsenal of the Haute horolgie foundation Geneva and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable collection off the face of the continent, If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. You’re done collecting, Kiddo.

Should I get a nato strap for my speedy?

Yes

nato straps a meme

Please don't

My sides are in orbit. Brilliant.

omegawatches.com/speedytuesday/

I heard trump wants to stop funding chrspestnatostraps

>changed the colours of the subdials
wow

It has become my daily wearer.

Love the dimensions of it, finishing and the blandness of the design is growing on me.

w2c

go back to /fa/

So I heard that ETA will be allowed to stop selling its ebauches and other parts to non-Swatch watchmakers beginning in 2019/2020. What will happen to the Swiss Meme industry? can Sellita and the other minuscule Swiss ebauches step up, or will everyone be forced to turn to Seiko/Miyota/Seagull?

Why did you choose this over other GS

you too

Take a new picture ffs

At this point your only hope of finding a Seiko Spirit Digital is probably going to be Yahoo! Japan Auctions searching for "Seiko s760" (thats the quartz module code) and using a proxy service to bid.

Where?

Day date complication, dimensions, the bracelet.

Where can i buy a bagelsport?

You are a bit late for the bagelmeme

>Japanese watch maker Seiko is teaming up with Tokyo-based retailer Nano Universe to sell a limited run of Chariot series watches. What makes the Chariot so special? Well, it was the minimalist watch design Apple co-founder Steve Jobs sported in a 1984 Norman Seeff potrait that later made the cover of Time Magazine. The photo, featuring Jobs sitting lotus-style in his barebones Woodside, California house with a Macintosh on his lap, has become one of the most iconic shots of Jobs during one of Apple’s most critical periods.

>The original watch owned by Jobs’ estate sold for $42,500 back in February 2016. Now, Seiko is re-releasing it in its original 33mm size and and a slightly larger 37.5mm version. The company is selling 1,982 units with a white face, and another 300 in black. The cost, at ¥20,000, comes in a little less than $180. But the catch — because of course there is a catch here — is that these watches will be exclusive to to the Japanese market.

theverge.com/2017/2/24/14733228/seiko-chariot-series-watch-apple-steve-jobs-1984-potrait

>Day Date Complication

Boy

FUCK ITS A DIFFERENT PLAID BUT THE SAME DAY

Aren't eta movements uncopyrighted because they're so old now?

So ant company can just copy the design. So the shitter watch industry is safe

>$180

I usually like Seiko but fuck that's at least $100 too much for that watch.

>speedies are £3340 brand new
>I've seen them sell used for £1700

But muh resale?

Outside of maybe some special editions Omega watches don't hold resale value for shit.

Not really. The Chinese ETA copies are a QC nightmare and outside of China only Vostok, Citizen, Seiko, Orient, Sellita, Soprod, ETA, Nomos and Rolex have the technical capability of manufacturing escapements, and therefore complete drop-in movements.

I don't see the business case for another firm to invest the capital necessary to develop the ability to produce ETA clones to reasonable tolerances and QC, unless sits in China with foreign supervision but it would still be a QC nightmare with way too high a reject rate to justify vs just buying Miyota 9015s.

Honestly, all Citizen needs to do to secure the overwhelming majority of the ebauche market is make a version of the 9015 with a micro-adjuster and sell a factory adjusted version. No ETA clone would be able to compete.

Totally on purpose, to be honest.

But I thought luxury watches were all about muh investment muh resale

Lmao.

>Chinese ETA copies are a QC nightmare

Stopped reading here

At the end of the day, it's jewelry, which is an absolutely awful "investment"

Omegas are priced well above the prices the actual manufacturing quality of the watches would justify and sold to those who don't know better using marketing. Their poor resale values accurately reflect them being initial considerably overpriced.

That's not what archieluxery said

Sorry, do you mean to suggest that there aren't massive quality control issues with the majority of precision manufacturing and assembly conducted in China? Of watch movements in particular?

>Omegas are priced well above the prices the actual manufacturing quality of the watches

Oy vey the goyim are starting to unravel the secrets of capitalism shut it down