So Sup Forums

So Sup Forums...

I'm studying for my MCATs (med school entrance exam) but it's too loud and busy here.

I have 500-800 USD to get out of town for at least a month - somewhere quiet where I can get a place, easy public transport, low cost of living - generally friendly and quiet place to study.

Where should I go?

Depends where you are. 800 USD is t that much money to live on for a month, so I'd say try to find somewhere rural and shitty. For Zen purposes try a mountainous terrain, preferably the Rockies for the comfiness factor

If you are low income I would suggest foodstamps/welfare to make it easier on you.

nope, fine on cash

I'm just thinking of this as "Walden" experience

Only instead of reflecting on nature, I'll be studying 12 hours a day.

So... a cheap and quiet 1 month vacation.

You literally can't just find a library or a room somewhere around you? You have to fucking go live somewhere else for a month?

Again, depends on what region you're in. West Virginia has tons of cheap places to stay, up in comfy forested mountains.

awww SHIT senpai I'm studying for the MCAT too. what are you aiming for, MD or DO? Don't do DO or you and I will be in competition

also, no offense, but spending 500-800 bucks just to find someplace quiet seems excessive

Yeah. It's just one of those things. I have a big family and it's not quiet at home. I'm near NYC so rent is high around me - things are always loud and busy, people stopping in and out

Something always comes up where I have an obligation to "take grandma to her doctor's apt, you need to watch someone's kid for the night, dad's computer isn't working, drive your aunt over to the mall"...

shit just goes on and on

I just gotta get out of town and focus on this exam

nyc area

Going for both - we'll see what happens. Where are you applying?

And yeah, it's excessive but I just can't let this exam slip. Without exaggeration, it's one of the most important days of my life I'm prepping for (can't go forward if you don't get in)

NYC region, and I have a car

Nearly every DO this side of the mississippi
gpa is ~3.5 so I'm an average competitor. I need to do well on the MCAT to beat the competition. I'm aiming for a 510... with this new scale it's hard to tell how good a score is and how hard that score is to achieve, but I heard 510 is good for DO. I want to do primary care so DO is definitely for me (plus I don't stand a chance at MD admissions) how about you?

Shit, that's rough. Good luck

only a 3.0 in college so I did post-bacc

3.5 with some solid recs, research, clinical and emt volunteer work

It's gonna be rough for MD but I'll throw some apps out

It's honestly gonna come down to ROCKING the MCAT

I'm def putting an application in for Touro, met a girl from there that loved it

>'Murrica
>have to do MCAT
>ethnical quote prefer dirty mexicans, indians and nignogs over your asses
>paying 100k+ in loans for education

You guys, I really feel sorry for you.

>Just go the the near library

Same with me. What score are you shooting for on it?

I'm nervous as hell about applying. Just so much competition nowadays with everyone and their brother wanting to be a 500k cardiologist. Another pain will be driving to interviews. If I apply to 20+ DO schools and they all like me, my schedule is gonna get fucked making 500+ mile rides to these places.

personally, I recommend you spend that money on a course (if there are any cheap enough for 800). it will give you a structured learning style

actually, Indian-Americans are selected AGAINST in admissions. They are considered over-represented in medicine, and I heard one stat that said 35% of applications are from Indian-Americans. Unfortunately, this screws over east-asians who are less represented, but still lumped with indians in the "asian" group.

I'm going to take some diagnostic exams this week. Obviously I want the highest score possible, but I'll see what a realistic goal would be.

I'm taking TPR self-paced online. I've heard great things and I love it so far.

I haven't thought about transport to interviews. It's gonna be a clusterfuck, just gotta accept it and move on

When are you taking your MCAT?

What the fuck does this have to do with international discussion?

Discussing places in the world with low cost of living, easy public transport, quiet and friendly.

Fuck off, aussie

800 USD isn't going to get you anywhere outside of the USA with living costs for a month faggot

August, which means I'll get my scores back even later and be applying sort-of late.

God damn I don't really have a backup plan if nobody admits me, so tomorrow I got to buckle down and win this thing. I sure as hell don't want to do research all my life. being in the lab just makes me depressed

Are you applying to a lot of OOS schools? NY has a lot so I imagine you don't have to stretch things too far.

What specialty do you think you want to do? I know it's a long ways away, but I'm curious

not in your shithole country. Grab a Fosters and cry over your VATS

>August, which means I'll get my scores back even later and be applying sort-of late.

I'm pushing for July - I think I can do it if I buckle down

>God damn I don't really have a backup plan if nobody admits me, so tomorrow I got to buckle down and win this thing. I sure as hell don't want to do research all my life. being in the lab just makes me depressed

Yeah... any means necessary. I'll go to a Caribbean school in a heartbeat

>Are you applying to a lot of OOS schools? NY has a lot so I imagine you don't have to stretch things too far.

Yeah, a few. My region of choice is NJ/NY/PA but also applying to Florida and a few other east coast schools.

>What specialty do you think you want to do? I know it's a long ways away, but I'm curious

Honestly, I'm pretty flexible. I like Psych and Neuro. I could do medication management, pain management, movement disorders, PT/rehab. I could do GP. I just love medicine. I'll find a place.

How about you?

Seriously, DON'T go carrib. They have shit-tier residency placement and just eat your money up. You'll find yourself 200k in debt with nobody accepting residencies. DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

I'm aiming for primary care. I like dealing with a variety of problems and want to fight the insurance company's machine-like care and be a bit more human with people... if I can be

>Seriously, DON'T go carrib.

Nah, I've worked with a about 2 dozen Caribbean grads in my hospital system. 3 have EXTREMELY competitive residency spots. A few of them were placed in great spots by alums. Two members of my family are IMGs. My cousin went to St. George, came back with NO trouble.

The prejudice is real because people go down there expecting an easy ride. Nah man, med school is gonna kick your ass no matter where you go. You're either prepared or you're not.

You make your own success.

Sure, you're not getting a surgical residency or derm, but I'm not aiming for those anyway.

As far as the money thing goes, yeah it's expensive.

If primary care is your bag, you'll do well. We need docs that are advocates for their patients.

ah ok. didn't know carib was that good. I wonder what the interview process is like... do they call you down to the carib just to talk?

psych/neuro is pretty cool. my friend has an eating disorder and hospitals couldn't crack it, so I hope they make some advancements

it's not that the carib is good, it just doesn't deserve to be equated to ITT Tech. Things are def harder coming back, but if you're really itching for a spot and you're comfortable with less competitive residencies, then it's ABSOLUTELY an option.

The two good ones (St. George and Ross) have offices in NJ and FL. I'm applying to both, I'm told you can interview at either location.

I have a friend with an eating disorder too. It's a difficult situation to handle. I hope your friend is doing well. It takes a compassionate and holistic approach to cope with eating disorders.

good luck with your mcat. we just got to apply to several schools within our ranges and we should have a chance. I'm going to bed. We both should get into the habit of waking up early

>med student
>can't deal with pressure
That's why people die, m8.

western nebraska