4k or ultrawide?

4k or ultrawide?

Which is the better meme?

>ultrawide
Kill
Your
Self

wide if you wanna show off to your friends, but that would imply you have any.

4k would be the real answer, you'll get more functionality out of it

What about for gaymen?

4k. You can just change your montiors resolution to be 3840 x whatever this number needs to be to be "ultra wide" and have black bars on the top. So you can get the ultra wide experience for gaming, and the 4k experience for productivity/media consumption.

you know what else is ultrawide? your mom when i enter her

I love my ultrawide. It's 35", 3440x1440.

To get the same horizontal in a 16:9 (like 4K), you'd have to have about a 41" screen, which would be insanely expensive, if you can even find one with a decent latency.

pic related

My mom's dead

As if that would be an obstacle for anyone here.

>What about for gaymen?
Stop being a manchild

Acer ET430K my man, it's an awesome screen

When are they going to start selling it?

I'm already working on it right now

>ultrawide

I don't see any US retailers selling it.

Do you live in Germany or something?

Belgium

4K, better image quality (much higher DPI) and a flat screen. This whole 'round-the-bend design is completely retarded, it was a big deal back in the day when you could finally get flat CRT monitors, since computers generate images intended to be displayed on a flat surface and not to be distorted by some curvature of the display itself. Now we get curved shit as an actual gimmick to draw attention to these monitors despite the fact that computer programs still render images for flat display surfaces and the same goes for video/photos.

Ultrawide doesn't necessarily mean it's a curved monitor.

4k ultrawide+ second 4k monitor

I replaced my dual monitors with a 3840x1440 ultra wide

What better for productivity imo, since you can fit 3 medium sized windows instead of just 2 large ones or 4 tiny ones.

Nice cat and mouse mat.

The only real answer

True, but a lot of them seem to be. There are other disadvantages to them though, compared to 4K monitors.
>Significantly lower DPI
>as far as games go, the AR sometimes isn't supported at all, other times you can run the resolution but scaling is vert- instead of hor+
>less work area than a 4K display - even if you're using 125% scaling on a 27" 4K screen (at which point it's perfectly usable) you get more work space
>the only media you get in such wide a format are movies - but those are better viewed on a TV
>black bars for anything 16:9, which is incredibly common

gaming isn't childish though

4k, ultrawide is a silly meme.

4k is still a meme until cable networks start broadcasting in it.

That will drive the price down across the board

It's a silly comparison, though, because your issues don't necessarily compare apples to apples.

DPI, work area, etc. are all dependent on the hardware.

A sufficiently large 4K monitor could display ultrawide by simply adding black bars to the top and bottom.

A sufficiently large ultrawide can display MORE than 4K by having a vertical resolution of 2160 pixels.

Some games are enhanced by the aspect ratio; for example, in The Witcher 3, your UI elements in the overworld such as compass and items are further out of your periphery, allowing for more uninterrupted gameplay area, whereas on a 4K display (any 16:9), those elements are scaled larger which means they take up even more screen real estate.

Ultrawide vs 4K isn't really an issue; the best monitor is higher resolution, with a better panel, and a size large enough to meet your needs, regardless of aspect ratio.

One of:

- 1440p 25" or 27"

- 1080p 16:10 17"+

You can find pretty decent IPS 4K monitors for about the same price as the 1440p equivalent. It's been a while since 4K was was some super-expensive high-end product line.

We have the same mousemat lol

I think that ultrawide would be a comfy alternative for multiple displays, but I wouldn't get 1080p as I currently have 1920x1200 + 1024x1280 and don't want to have lower horizontal resolution. But then I'm not too keen on 1440p as I would have to upscale my animu by a factor of 4/3. I don't even see much of a difference between 1080p and upscaled 720p but it tickles my autism anyway. Considering the prices of ultrawide I think I would get a second 1280x1024 display if wanted more screen estate.

I meant lower vertical resolution, not horizontal.

ultrawide = ultrashort. fuck that shit.

2560x1080 is not "wide" 1080p, it's a clipped 1440p screen.
Likewise, 3440x1440 is just a gimped UHD.

For gaming:
1. 1440p UW 100hz if you're ballin
2. 1440p 144hz

productivity
1. multiple 4k monitors
2. 1440p 60hz uw or single 32'+ 4k

>Stop being a manchild
Stop being a cunt.

but user, you are the manchild

We have the same mouse! And I'm also using a steam controller.

I hated it at first, but now it's all I use, given the option.

But 2560x1440 is just a clipped 3440x1440 and 3840x2160 is just a clipped 5120x2160!!!

Okay, there aren't 5120x2160 screens that I know of (and I don't think there will ever be any), but I think you get the hint. I hope you do.

Sillent just how I like Them ;)

I have an ultrawide and it's pretty great, greatly improved my productivity.

Assuming proper window management, one could argue that it wouldn't have to be worse than having three monitors.

>productivity
>multiple 4k monitors

kek, someone doesn't do real work

>the best monitor is higher resolution
There is such a thing as too many pixels, user. Spend *enough*, get *enough*, and have *enough* left over to do other shit.

Don't get tricked by a business into thinking that bigger is better.

Nobody cares, edgelord. We all had that friend in middle school already.

>4k
>meme
>a resolution can be a meme

Everyone saying 4k is a retard. Ultrawide is the shit, and if the format gets pushed there will be media other than games to come out for it.

>media other than games
You mean like... movies? Cinemascope is almost 100 years old now.

> being this cucked

the primary reason ultrawides exist isn't their inherent utility but because makers can sell you a 25% smaller panel with an adversited diagonal length only 5% shorter.

it's just an extension of the same marketing technique that helped push 16:9 HD TVs to replace old 4:3 displays and the reason that 16:10 monitors have died off.

>buy 4k
>don't use half of the display

WA LA ULTRAWIDE

>he thinks 16:9 was a marketing tactic

Lost a whole lot of credibility right there.

We have the same chair! (Or at least the arm).

good kitty

dead kitty

Definitely ultrawide

>Not using 16:10/3:2/4:3/5:4 monitor
Kill thyne self

Ulrawide is really close to dual 5:4, it's the whole reason I'm getting one

Oh yeah, well 4k is really close to 8294400 1:1s.