/dha/ - Distro Hoppers Anonymous

When did you finally decide on a distro to stay with?

when i realized linux is shit

When I bought a mac

When I installed Gentoo

When i have to work.

When I realized what I'm really choosing is repo size, security policy, stability, package format, and update schedule. So I decided to judge distros based on that and not how they look or what programs(apps) they come with.

Let me guess! Are you a debian user?

No, I really hate this "Free as in freedom" bullshit. I wish linux would just drop the whole opensource obsession it has because all it does is hold it back from being a real operating system. That's why I like linux mint. Shit should just work and I don't need religious zealots telling me what software I can and can not use.

When I grew up and installed Debian 8

manjaro is kinda like mint but based on Arch right ?

When I installed devuan. Full freedom from systemd and SJWs.

desu most distros that aren't corporate backed just work with codecs and shit (except ubuntu being the only exception) so yeah manjaro is supposed to be a just works arch, I havent really used it though except maybe four or so years ago so I don't know how it's current state is.

The only sane choice desu

It's arch based it has nothing to do with mint
Noice played around a little with it, looked cool

Arch FTW

How does arch compare to tumbleweed so far as rolling distros go (not muh minimalism)

Don't use Manjaro. Use Antergos.

Ubuntu. A month ago.

Tumbleweed is better.

>tfw I don't distro hop that much only because I've gotten too used to working in Debian-based distros
>tfw basically just switch between *buntu and Mint distros
>tfw Fedora, Manjaro, and Antergos will forever remain on my virtual machines

I chose to stay with arch when I installed it about six months ago and found out that all of the negative shit said about it is bullshit. I have had zero problems with it. Before arch I used Xubuntu and Fedora pretty extensively.

That's sort of what I figured based on tumbled weeds testing process alone, I've heard the arch is unstable thing is a meme. I don't use rolling releases but tumbleweed is interesting me.

When I installed OSX

even in hackintosh format it is far superior to any linux distro

I don't think I believe you. No.

Same with Manjaro for me.

when I started using AUR
filesystems are more influential anyway

this lmfao

macOS = MASTER RACE

Yes. It's popular and uses the sacred Arch packages, so /g hates it.

Tumbleweed > Fedora > Arch >>> Debian > Ubuntu >>>> Shit >>>> Mint

Prove it dummy

>hint: use induction

yeah you is stupid. Mimt is not a bad distro. It's about as much same as is ubuntu if not better since its much more simple for people like me to know how to use

I haven't, moved from arch to Qubes on my laptop yesterday thinking of switching my desktop

when my shitty hardware forced me to use debloated shit, like #!, then I needed less outdated packages and start compiling every shitty software, then Sup Forums memeing me into arch and AUR, and it worked ever since,
I'm lazy mofo and install every shit I found on AUR carelessly, and upgrade without reading for compatibility issues and arch keeps working, just pokerstars and qutebrowser are broken in the last update that was huge cause was procastinated for >3 months, pretty stable imho senpai

Every time I distro hopped I'd come back to Debian when something broke. With Linux, because there is so much choice you always think there's something better you could be using, a better experience. Well, you have to try things until you find something comfortable for you.

For me that is Debian + awesomewm. For someone else it might be Fedora and Gnome 3, or Arch and KDE.

Distro hopping stops when you find something that works for you.

Does you use stable or is you using testing?

When my prof asked me to do shit that wangblows and mac can't do
He said Ubuntu and Debian
I said ok, copy that

when I found the

A U R

U

R

Your image is top 9gag my friend
>apple fags have to shop at goodwill to pay the debt

Everyone who isn't running on a server should use testing

Testing doesn't get security patches as fast as stable or sid, testing is a shit. desu

>security
>admitting you're a pedo with something to hide

Stable won't work with modern hardware, tho

Yeah but who has modern hardware? Most people can't afford to keep buying hardware each time a new one comes out? Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Skylake + Polaris won't work on old kernel

backports solve this for the most part. I just don't understand not using stable because who would want unstable? I guess I come from the old windows ideology of use the OS until it is EOL

when i realized that every distro is shit

I had 40 something sessions active on facebook from my distro hopping days. I finally settled for arch after i got good. Now i use ubuntu cause it was installed on the laptop i use at work. No complaints.

I is using testing.

Testing gets security patches with a delay of about two weeks.

"Stable does not mean bug free" is what convinced me to go rolling release. And I don't run a server. Really want to like Debian, but it's not for me.

fair enough

I tried like 30 distros in a VM and also on live CD/USB 2007-2008

liked ubuntu until 10.04 came out so i switched to Xubuntu. i'm still there.

And no, i didn't simply test all ubuntu variants. I tested various different distros with different package managements etc.

Used gentoo for years, finally settled on Bunsen Labs, which is a continuation of Crunchbang. Just nice comfy Debian basically. Its nice not having to fight the system to get every little thing to work for a change.

I use Fedora KDE after distrohopping nearly 12 distros.

I really like it. Best kernel updates, better package manager than pacman, RPMs are bettter than deb imho, and it feels solid.

I heard kde sucked on fedora. How is it.

obanto mate is the shit

Before enlightenment, rivers are rivers, and mountains are mountains.

After enlightenment, rivers are rivers, and mountains are mountains.

It's mostly a misunderstanding. A dev stepped down from his leading role, but that dude was obsessed by perfection, and shit never got off that well.

It works really fine, no deal-breaking bugs.

I'll check it out, I've been looking for a good kde distro that wasn't rolling and wasnt ubuntu.

Im not sure KDE has been especially stable in its entire existence. Tried it on F24 and in the first 15 minutes of ricing things, broke it. Changed the fonts, and the sizes, and it fucked the menus all up. But f24 was a buggy mess anyway, so whatever. Lots of kde shills, so maybe its ok now.

>tfw forced to use Ubuntu/Debian because the esoteric programs I need only have win, Mac, and .deb versions

It is poop. They suggested changing the system time.

I don't commit to a single distro. I use what is best at that time for what I am doing.

Right now, I need to collaborate with the most people with the least amount of effort and only use Linux on my work laptop, so I use Ubuntu because everything just fucking works without any effort on my part.

Looking for Ubuntu+Cinnamon+wayland

Macbook doesn't have this problem

Installed Arch, stayed on Arch.

True, some issues arise, and configuring KDE can be annoying at times, but reboot and it's all fine.

You don't have to fight the system if you basically made the system.

I N S T A L L G E N T O O

I never did, and I never will
Ubuntu > Debian > Arch > Gentoo here, like everybody else.
I'm trying void instead of arch on my laptop for muh unix philosophy.
Living without AUR is hard, tho.

this.
Using it rn
Came back to it after #!

I'm still not entirely sure. I installed Ubuntu GNOME a few months ago and loved it, but I recently discovered that Cinnamon can do everything I love about GNOME, plus more. So now I have Ubuntu GNOME + Cinnamon. I'm wondering if I should just install Mint, since that's where Cinnamon comes from, but you know that distro-hopping image that shows up every now and again? How everyone eventually just ends up back on Ubuntu? I want to skip that distro-hopping process, if possible. Plus, there's the whole Wayland versus X thing. As said, I guess my ideal scenario would be Ubuntu + Cinnamon + Wayland. But since that's not possible (at least for now), what's the next best thing? Or should I wait until Cinnamon and Wayland play well together?

I have yet to test wayland. Apparently some distros will switch to it soon. How does it differ from X?

I haven't used it either, but apparently it's more secure and stable than X. X is supposedly outdated and shoddily-coded, while Wayland is the modern solution. As far as I know, Wayland is only on Fedora + GNOME for now.

Can we all agree that Luke Smith is /ourguy/?

peyton on the broncos like jordan on the wizards

hang with your team and don't switch over nigga

when i found a job

Agreed. Use Antergos. Manjaro sucks.

/thread

lubuntu nigga

when i bought a surface pro.
WSL is good enough for coding and shit.
was a void linux user before.

since windows 10 included ubuntu, macOS has lost all it's appeal to me.
fuck js coded 3rd party pseudo repos.

Give one good argument ?
"mhmhmhmh manjaro sucks" is not a valid argument

I never distrohop. I just stick with Ubuntu since 2005.

The different distros aren't SO different that it's actually worth it

Since WSL.

Now I get to use the tools I ear money with in a decent OS that actually supports the latest hardware.

There is no argument. Antergos is just as autistic as Arch. Manjaro can be fully installed offline which immediately makes it better.

non retards would use solus

>rolling distros
KYS
They are cancer that will brick your system.
Literally a toy OS not to be used in a production environment.

Do you only use the CMD or do you use some graphical things like audio and video? Do you even run a DE on this thing?

The funny thing its the other way around so mint is actually better then anything else.
you need to read the >>> like arrows not a greater sign.

Care to explain your reasoning? I'm considering switching to Mint because I like Cinnamon. What of all the common complaints about it? Is it actually dangerous to accept kernel updates, or is Clem just being paranoid?

I just dropped Mint because all the fucking packages in the repos are incredibly out of date. Switched to Fedora + Cinnamon and it's all good.

Works great.
Never bricked my system.
And I decided to use it to the max!!!
>Install the XFCE version?
>Switch to cinnamon!
>Someone recommends for me to manually to install his home made script?
>Here I go!
>Updates can brick your system?
>Upedate without thinking!

Never bricked my system, there are its quirks like
Did you know you can create a user with no password in the GUI?
Like literally has no login password ever, he can not self change his user password.
However you can login into root and manually give him a password.

Audio works perfectly same with video.
Only once did I get the audio turned off.
Turns out somehow my audio settings in the GUI where reduced to zero.
Needed to turn the GUI nob up.

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

>muh I need my autismo video player to have the current year number on it
>Even if it literally makes no difference
The post.
Who gives a shit about updating packages?

I'm naming the system cinnamon because its more important to the end user then the kernel or some obscure utilities.

when you gotta hope that WebUpd8 has a PPA for every single application you need to install, it gets overburdened quickly.

I'm just into xubuntu and windows 10 now man. Nothing fancy for me dude. that shit is rough. That's not the kind of life I want to lead.

Just because GNU is the biggest contributor to the linux project doesnt warrant changing the name. Get over it autist, people will use a convenient and short name that is Linux

kevin pls

>the car's upholstery is more important than its engine
kek ok bud

Xubuntu is a very solid choice.