What type of connection is this?

My friends and I are confused. What kind of HDD connector is this?

idk

this is going to drive me insane what is this

I know, but I'm not going to tell you since you're a white male.

is that like an SD card slot?

mini SD is 11 pin outs

its not sli cause thats 12 pins

VIVS

VIVS?

esata?

If it's an external, it could be some proprietary interface to simplify SATA to USB bridge.

esata is 7

moar pics

pci-e 1x

THIS IS NOT A JOKE

It's a custom factory interface for their test equipment.

You won't be able to use it so just ignore it.

need pic of top label

That is a custom adapter for a laptop. Remove it and you got a bare sata drive.

This sounds like the most logical and intelligent explanation.

/thread

Well which is it?

Welp, I googled that E222034 there in the top left of your pic, and this is what shows on Google.

That board looks rectangular with smoothed corners, but isn't routed out the same way though.

I see SATA printed on the PCB, but is this even a hard drive?

Internal hard drives don't usually have shielding like that or wings with holes for mounting.

I still think that it's just for testing.

Notice how it has no alignment housing/keyed pins to make it idiot proof to connect? Pic related made is a lot more difficult to plug the ribbon cable in incorrectly, bend pins, etc... Real SATA ports are the same way, except they are edge connectors, but the housing is keyed such that it can only be connected in the right way.

It costs money for a manufacturer to design and modify the PCB, and they didn't add anything like that, so obviously they didn't intend on that connector being used more than a few times.

The manufacturer probably has benches with hinged connectors where testers just plug the device in with that connector and let the test run.

Search for this on amazon, WD5000 to 2.5" Sata Adapter

I think its a wd5000 connection. I had to order an adapter for my work.

One other thing, this connection seems to mainly be used by western digital ultraslim drives, that info might help you out more.

card edge

If you're serious about what it is you should try to look up a document for the component. Start with the numbers, get the manufacturer, etc.
>2-9 94V-0
>E222034
>RU
The backwards R, U is part of UL standards:
>These are Marks consumers rarely see because they are specifically used on component parts that are part of a larger product or system. These components may have restrictions on their performance or may be incomplete in construction.
>Components covered by UL’s Recognized Component program are intended to be installed in another device, system or end product. They are to be installed at the factory, not in the field and they may have restricted performance capabilities that limit their use.
You can probably look up the component in UL somewhere and find more info about how it connects to other components.

It's a SATA connector, SFF-8784 form.
WD Ultraslim uses it.

this man is a liar and a rapist
do not ever trust him
>it says it right on the circuit board, lolololol

it's sata, and it's used on these ultraslim drives which i haven't seen before
not sure if this is standard

its an sli finger, put multiple in raid 1 and youll see like 10x times better speed performance