ITT: Interesting Sup Forums-related stuff

ITT: Interesting Sup Forums-related stuff

This image displays its own md5 hash. (Unless Sup Forums messes with it.)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xP5-iIeKXE8
youtube.com/watch?v=KJe9H6qS82I
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13824445
lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=xP5-iIeKXE8
Conway's Game of Life inside of Conway's Game of Life

Some good shit you got there, dude.
$ md5sum 1489036630122.gif
f5ca4f935d44b85c431a8bf788c0eaca 1489036630122.gif
Explanation?

Are we just reposting things we saw on HN today?

This GIF has like 500 different extension blocks that I've never heard of. It has Seven Image blocks, but it clearly is displaying at least 33 different frames. What sorcery is this?

A cellular automata that uses floats instead of ints
youtube.com/watch?v=KJe9H6qS82I

That guy that made it said he would publish a writeup "soon" but here's a very basic explanation
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13824445

I haven't seen anything about cellular automatons on HN today.

A pretty a e s t h t i c visualization of the IPv4 address space. (from 2012, though)

it's piss easy to write a md5 collision detector, you just have to keep generating md5 gifs until the stars align and the md5 in the image matches the gif's md5.

That's not at all easy.

pick a random md5 value, make it into a gif animation
take the actual md5 value of the gif you made.
if the md5 in the gif matches the real one, you're done.

>edit color table in hex editor so the md5sum is changed, but the weird gif wizardry is unaltered
>displays the same sum
Aw, it seems the actual md5 sum is hard-coded, but there's still some freaky shit going on in this gif.

dat pattern in 172 bottom right

neato

The first web server

Did you think it was somehow doing its own computations?

Sure that would work but it is unfeasible. The only practical way is exploiting md5's cryptographic flaws.
You have no idea what the fuck is going on do you

It's clearly getting the GIF renderer to access data in the file in a way not intended by the GIF design (displaying more frames than their are actual images), so I thought it was possible.

>unfeasible

you don't understand how easy it is to make an md5 colliding file, just keep appending garbage to the end to make it match the md5 of another file, the possible value range is so laughably small you can do it in seconds on a modern computer

No, I get it now, the real feat is creating the md5 collision and the weird gif behavior is probably just well-known, but semi obscure GIF behaviro that's probably unrelated. Actually now that I think about it all those chunks I'm seeing are probably just garbage data needed to make the collision hash occur.

You don't remotely understand what you're talking about. There are 3.4*10^38 possible md5 hashes. You're going to have to have to generate more gifs than exist in the world to have even a 1% chance of getting a collision that way.

this one displays its own resolution

wtf??

>I don't know how hash works
go back to Sup Forums

hooooooooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

kek

confirmed

The coolest part of this is seeing the various corporation IP blocks.

what wizardry is this?

On the topic of interesting images, here's one.

>It's clearly getting the GIF renderer to access data in the file in a way not intended by the GIF design

It's almost cute that you think that

Is something supposed to happen?

W E W L A D
how?

Nothing happens. Is it supposed to do anything besides look ugly?

it does some freaky color changing shit

That's a preimage attack, md5 is still not vuln to that.

Hilbert-curve mapping, nice

It changes colours and patterns as it loads.

Nice!

I don't see it. Tell me, take a look at this page and see if the same thing happens with any of the images lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

If it does, I think it's your monitors that can't keep up.

Shit man, it's not a monitor thing, it does freaky shit as it's loading, someone just said that.

Well it did nothing here. Have you looked at the images on the link to confirm?

Yes user, I'm aware of LCD-test. The images look fine. My monitor can "keep up".

I made a shit gif just for you so you don't miss out.

I'm not them, but can confirm the ones in the link look fine, but the first one loaded funky.

Calm down Susan. No need to get your panties in a twist just because your monitor is shit.

I saw a few even more colourful passes before it ended like that. Still somewhat shows what it does.

>see anons enjoying thing
>I can't enjoy thing
>their monitors must be shit
your life is pretty sad, I regret making that gif for you

Yeah, it had more colors and longer loading times the first time, but I can't replicate that anymore

>your life is pretty sad

No, it's pretty good thanks.

>I regret making that gif for you

So you should. Next time don't be an ass and you might not get treated like one.

Here's one of my favourites.

Use with caution as it's technically illegal

RETARD
E
T
A
R
D

What is that thing in the pic? I mean, what is it used for once you 3d print it?

It's for some rifle. AR 15 I think. Makes the gun fully automatic rather than Semi Automatic. That's what /k/ told me

basically turns a semi-automatic weapon into a automatic one, this is a crime under the US law

Ah cheers. Nice mod.

ayy good one

ayyyy thanks

I animated this just for you Sup Forumsee

>use javascript
>load the image as array buffer
>use slice(0,end) until byteLength is reached
>increase length by 10240 bytes every fifth of a second and also increase that value manually by mashing spacebar
>record browser doing the animation

kek lold hard thx bye still keking

Sup Forums might parse this to a non-working state but it's basically an animated GIF with 32697 colors
>how???
GIF spec never says GIFs can only have 256 colors, it says 256 colors per frame.

people already use md5 gpu cracking to achieve it just fine, md5 is quite fast

wew. i should use this for opening bottles only

>makes an ar15 automatic

The AR15 is automatic by default m9

No it's not. It's a semi automatic rifle by default