scicomp.stackexchange.com/a/11310
gyazo.com/206b58f099f6870a9569d8d952ed5cac
gyazo.com/199ec20fbf58226d8979b71e85708d72
webaim.org/blog/user-agent-string-history/
routenote.com/blog/the-10-best-free-daws-available/
ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt
developers.google.com/android/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Got new PC and hate Windows 8/10. How do I install Windows 7 without having to pay for anything?

Why does my computer crash its display when I have ~1.1GB of System Memory left??

I don't get it. Windows needs only ~1GB of Mem, but when I open like 50-70 tabs in Chrome to download pics of my waifu, my display crashes if I ignore the warning.

But, I don't understand WHY I'm getting that warning in the first place.
I've only used a bit under 7 of my 8GB of RAM at the time.

And when it stops, then all windows have become defaulted, and my backgrounds are turned off, so I needa kill and restart Explorer.

The system isn't INTENTIONALLY turning off features to save on Memory, JUST because it's LOW, is it?
Because, it's not REALLY that low...

If it is, that's fucking gay

Any thoughts?

Without all the autistic bickering, can someone recommend a safe Linux distro for someone who's leaving Windows and has little experience in Linux?

Ubuntu.
Literally.

I've tried it at one point. It's basically Mac-like. Easy to use. Don't need to fuck around with settings and configuration all that much at all. It's probably what you want.

I know I will pirate but

Where is it safer to download it from?

How do I get past the activation/update bullshit? On my current PC I get a fucking warning every time I open a system application

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

Mint, although any ubuntu derivitive will work in a pinch

Thanks breh

thanks. Ubuntu and tails are the only distros I've ever used so guess I'll go with Ubuntu but I'll check out Mint too.

Python or R?

Unity is just kind of weird. But you can slap cinnamon on there without having to do a fresh install, it just takes up a little more space

Anyone know why it does this?

Yup, no prob.

Personally, when I switch, I intend to at least try going all the way to BSD

Best way to access my home server remotely?

putty

SSH (or putty if you use windows)

Thanks anons

*ubuntu, I've had a great time with xubuntu after I switched ~2 years ago. It's not difficult to use at all, so don't be intimidated. You can literally make it as manual or automated as you want, you'll probably never have to type more than a few things (that you copy-pasted from someone's guide) into the command line unless you want to do more.

With your stupid face you won't even make it to arch.

R only if you need a specific package, but you don't really need to know much to get things done. It can be powerful even though it's annoying once you learn anything else.
Spend more time learning python, because it's much more powerful / it makes sense. I'm not sure exactly what you to do with R, but there is probably someone who has done it in python too. SciPy is a good place to look.
Oh, and you should at least know how to make figures in R because that's mostly what makes it neat.

>friend has laptop issues yesterday
>randomly shuts down all of sudden
>not a battery problem because it's removed, and it's plugged straight to the wall
>says it doesn't overheat, but it gets warm where the RAM is somethimes
>finally died for good yesterday and wouldn't turn on
>today it turned on
>windows repair started (win7)
>it's fixed for now

How can windows repair just randomly start all of a sudden and fix something like that? Doesn't windows repair only fix software related issues? I literally have no idea how to help him.

I've already used Ubuntu, Redhat, Fedora, and FreeBSD for different things.

But, I can't overwrite my current computer, b/c I need it for College and it's also 7 y/o, so I'd wanna get a new one when I switch anyway.

What are some good cybersecurity blogs, preferably written by actual researchers rather than neckbeards.

>moving files into my thumbdrive
>plugged into computer's faulty USB port, stops working halfway
>thumbdrive no longer responds to any device
>plug it into my lubuntu laptop
>can't shutdown with the thumbdrive plugged in
>try using gparted to detect it, stuck on scanning

Any way to save it?

your mum has a great blog on how she cyber secures my dick in her pussy

Could be heating issue. More likely drive is failing. Try checkdisk and sfc /scannow, also see if crystaldiskinfo says it's fucked

Why not dual boot?

Mint looks pretty much like Windows out of the box, so it is pretty much always "baby's first distro," but yes, Ubuntu is good too. It is a much larger leap from Windows though. Bear that in mind.

But unity is like the most retarded DE out there. It's like the windows 8.0 of DEs.

Thanks, I'll tell him.

Only Neo can do that

I was looking through my /tmp files and found a folder named "albert" and several other odd looking files/directories such as:
Orbit-(my username)
Systemd-private(numbers)colord.service
Systemd-private(numbers)-rtkit-daemon.service
Tracker-extract-files.1000
Config-err

The folders (when opened in root) showed up to be empty.

What are these? Should I be extremely worried?

Is your name Albert?

The amount I currently need constant access to Windows, in general, doesn't justify setting aside the space.
Also, my partitions are already set, and it'd be a problem to move them around.

When I do it, I wanna install on a nice, clean M.2 950 PRO or something. On a desktop.
This 7 y/o thing is a laptop.

Can any of the mainstream, non tiling desktop environments display different workspaces on different screens?
I don't think there is even a point of having dual monitors if you can't even do this.

thank you user.

My name is not albert

Is this a good budget buy?
My 13 year old plasma is showing its age and it needs to go
amazon.com/Samsung-UN55KU7000-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01EBGELGW?th=1

What's the best anti-static device available? I work with computers a lot and the static has become unbearable.

Are there any non-wired wrist straps that work? it seems most are just fakes, but I need to be mobile and even if I didn't there's not really anywhere I could easily plug them to ground. I don't care if they're expensive at this point, I need an alternative. If I have to carry a battery around or something, I wouldn't mind either.

>unbearable.
Are you fucking wearing wool socks and a knited sweater when you build?

Just touch anything that is grounded once in a while and dont scruff your feet on the ground

I have an i5 4670 non-k, can I still overclock it to the turbo-boost speed and then disable turbo-boost?
I don't know shit about overclocking, but from what I heard, I don't need to mess with voltage to do this, right?

How practical is it to travel with a mini ITX PC? Or is a laptop irreplaceable for this?

I haven't been into torrenting for a while. All of my favorite sites are gone, and everything's a mess.

What are some of the best, most reliable torrent sites?

I have a crap server (NAS and torrent box for the moment), and was planning to add another HDD to hold backups of the other machines in the house.

I'm searching for the best way to keep a backup of, well, the backups (think Windows' Previous Versions feature) and stumbled on rsnapshot. Would there be anything better for my needs?

I'm looking for some software that let me play some midi on the PC.
I want to make some shitty chorus on pc for a song, so I was thinking on something with presets.

What exactly do you need?

A program to make music? Search for "free DAW"
A plugin to create sound? Search for "Free VST plugins"

Feel free to ask more

I was thinking on something with a keyboard, that emulates different things.
I only care about vocal chorus-like presets, but it can be anything.
Would look at free daw right now.

>Got new memory to run 16g.
>Put it in.
>PC wants to boot up but doesn't.
>Take it out figuring it just isn't compatible.
>Boot again.
>Takes me to BIOS without having to hit BIOS key.
>Shows up on both monitors where it only showed on one before.
>Save and exit keeps taking me back to BIOS instead of booting Windows.
Help. Help please.

make sure your SATA cables are still in and your boot priority didn't get messed up.
do the drives get listed on the select boot device screen in your bios?

I don't think so. In Storage Configuration it's not detecting any SATA ports.

The two ports were connected and confused me. My main was unplugged and I was checking the one above it. Thanks, I'm retarded.

is there a way to download more ram? i only got 2GB and my friend told me you can download more or hack someone and download their ram how can I do this??

If you haven't changed that many settings in BIOS, you could always do a "Default settings" to ensure that everything in BIOS is okay

you can download more here.
downloadmoreram.com/

how can i find out the terraflops of my computer? i want to see how it compares to a ps4 pro

scicomp.stackexchange.com/a/11310

I have a MSI motherboard, the things is my PC crash, and in the boot menu i disable fastboot in order to check the RAM. RAM looks fine.

The thing is now the computer boot still normaly to windows, but when I want to access boot menu, to enable fastboot again, i get an endless black screen.

I clear C-MOS memory. Nothing
I update the bios with Live Update, a software from MSI. Nothing

Wut do ?

Kill yourself, obviously.

How do you check what browser the user is using to view PHP script?
I tried using the HTTP_USER_AGENT string but it returns:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/54.0.2840.59 Safari/537.36
I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I'm pretty sure I don't have Safari or IE installed on this machine.

oh wow, ty. flops turn out to be a useless measurement by the looks of things

chrome uses webkit/blink as rendering engine from apple which is based on khtml which works like mozillas rendering engine gecko.
safari uses the same engine.

basically, to prevent old sites from breaking because of browser detection (instead of using feature detection) user agents contain a lot of shit to be vague about what they actually are.

for comparison, Edge 14s user agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.79 Safari/537.36 Edge/14.14393

Oh.
This is for a basic exercise and I need to see if the string has either MSIE, Chrome or FireFox but I didn't know if it would break due to this.
Thanks man.

tell whoever wrote that exercise that he's an idiot.
you don't do browser detection anymore.

A Microcock shill said it. That should have been a good indicator of that.

A DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) is a program in which you make music. The DAW lets you add instruments, create loops and patterns, as well as arrange the whole composition (song).

An audio plugin (also known as Instrument) is the component that creates an actual sound. It's a plugin that works with your DAW. To make up your song, you usually use many plugins to create different sounds that sound good together (one for a bassline, one for a lead synth, etc).

The DAW can look something like this:
gyazo.com/206b58f099f6870a9569d8d952ed5cac

An audio plugin can look something like this:
gyazo.com/199ec20fbf58226d8979b71e85708d72

It's really basic stuff I'm doing at the moment.
I think it's just to get us to grips on PHP fundamentals.

You should run MemTest86 overnight to further inspect your RAM as I have found this to be a PC component very prone to errors. Usually when I have hardware-problems, it's the fucking RAM.

webaim.org/blog/user-agent-string-history/
if you're interested in it why stuff is like that.

It seems I'm looking for a DAW. wich one is this?

>gyazo.com/206b58f099f6870a9569d8d952ed5cac

This is FL Studio, it costs money.

Here's a list of some free ones:
routenote.com/blog/the-10-best-free-daws-available/

If Md5 is an encryption type, why does not it require a key?

md5 is a hash function.
it's one way only.

What he said. -> You can see how it works here:
ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt

>routenote.com/blog/the-10-best-free-daws-available/
>Last one in that list is Reaper
>mfw I'm already using it to record my shity guitar sessions but I didn't know it could do more.

so, this is how it feels to have an extra chromosome?

Is there a way to get my mouse on the second screen while playing a game on the other one in fullscreen? FPS games in particular where you cant just move the mouse freely

Eventually everything in my more immediate vicinity stops working. It really is a problem.

What's a good way to hook it up an IDE interface with a large amount (200-300GB) of storage?

So I'm coding up some basic hit detection for a small game for one of my classes. Working in Java.

Beyond making it a single if statement, is there any way to make this not look retarded? I can't help but feel the way I'm coding it is really poor style.

Trying Haskell for more or less the first time.

data Graphic = Empty
| Object Graphic
deriving Show

single :: Object -> Graphic
single x = (Graphic x Empty)

A Graphic should either be Empty or contain a Object and another Graphic.

single should take an Object and build a Graphic with the Object being the passed Object and the Graphic being Empty.

How's the correct way to do this?

I don't know Java, so syntax is off, but how about something like
public boolean HitDetection(Entity i)
{
var loc = this.getLocation();
var iLoc = i.getLocation();

return (loc.x - ATK_RANGE == iLoc.x && loc.y == iLoc.y)
|| (loc.x + ATK_RANGE == iLoc.x && loc.y == iLoc.y)
|| etc...
}
You're calling getLocation so many times, put it into a variable.

is it important to have normie social media accounts when applying for a job? (ie twitter, fb). I have an fb but its extremely inactive, and I don't use twitter.

I use linkedin and github.

What's the difference that Google APIs system image has in the AVD manager?

I need help with my shitty PC. When I log into Windows I get a black screen with nothing but a mouse cursor. I'm on Windows 8.1. All the troubleshooting I'm reading tells me to start safe mode when I'm booting up my PC but it won't fucking let me, because pressing f8 just brings up some ASUS boot menu and I can't find a safe mode option anywhere within that. How do I activate safe mode?

extra google packages like maps, ads, analytics etc.
developers.google.com/android/

So I won't need these if I want to make a simple app that handles some settings. Thanks!

>tfw no Sup Forums ftp server anymore

is there one? joelixny seems to be down and out

A year ago I fell for the "8 gigs of DDR3 is enough" meme

How long can I ride this meme

I have 6Gb DDR3 and I don't feel I need anyomre. Do you need more RAM for some reason?

So is the thing about AmazonBasics iphone chargers melting/ruining phones legit or just some marketer trying to sell their own brand by ruining Amazon's credibility? Noticed a lot of reviews claiming this (some with pictures) right after buying a 2-pack for my mom who is constantly losing her charger for her phone. Don't have an iphone myself but have always found AmazonBasics products to be of good quality for the price.

idk if this is the right place for it, but Ive got an issue with an assignment involving javascript.

Im making conditional operators, but the browser console keeps giving errors, and I guess I am just oblivious to it, i just dont see my problem, but here's the code:

(name.value && email.value && phone.value) ? alert("Thank you!") | alert("Please fill in all fields") ;
(name.value && email.value && phone.value) ? calcTotal() | e.preventDefault();

also:
(item1.checked) ? (itemTotal += 8) | (itemTotal += 0);
(item2.checked) ? (itemTotal += 9) | (itemTotal += 0);
(item3.checked) ? (itemTotal += 8) | (itemTotal += 0);
(item4.checked) ? (itemTotal += 13) | (itemTotal += 0);
(item5.checked) ? (itemTotal += 6) | (itemTotal += 0);

Replace the | characters with :

Thanks, I guess I mistook : for | on my paperwork.

But now I got another issue, not listed in the console. Would someone mind helpin' me out here?

How can I recreate the following function without a for loop using math n' shit?

float approach(int frames, float start, float target, float friction) {
float x = start;
for (let i = 0; i < frames; i++) {
x += (target - x) * friction;
}
return x;
}

Should I bother trying to sell a used 750 Ti or should I just put it in a drawer, forget about it and throw it out in 10 years? Any idea what a good price might be?

You're using the ternary operator in an odd way.
Usually it's for selecting between two different values to return, rather than two different blocks of code to execute.
e.g.var faggot = true;
alert("You are a " + (faggot ? "gay" : "straight") + " person");

var female = false;
alert("You have " + (female ? "0" : "2") + " testicles.");

All the examples you've listed are more natural to write using if statements instead.

What's the other issue?

I fixed my other issue, I had something capitalized that wasn't needed (i wrote in a variable name in the camel syntax 'nameInput' but the actual variable from the assignment was 'nameinput' which is retarded).

I mean each line was a separate expression, depending on whether or not the conditional statement was true/false, it would execute the code, ie in the first instance returning an alert.

Yeah, I know. You can use that style if you want. It's just important that you realise that the ? operator is often used to select different values to use within a larger expression, rather than actual code to run.