So I want to learn programming. I love learning it...

So I want to learn programming. I love learning it, but I feel like I only get so far because I feel like there is only so much I can do with the little bit that I've learned.

I hate making little practice programs. I want to use my early skills to make something useful and help me go farther.

Advice? Any good proactice that isn't just building a calculator or building a weird number game?

Other urls found in this thread:

packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
automatetheboringstuff.com/chapter0/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

don't shoot for the stars if you can't build a ladder pal

finish CS50, CodeAcademy, Udacity ... anything.

Start by writing this program

I'll make the logo

learn shell scripting. you can do so much with so little. you'll learn to not reinvent the wheel by using classic unix/linux/whatever programs to do the dirty work for you. you get all the ingredients ready-made for you, it's up to you what you'll make of them.

use gaymaker

>mfw i wasted a whole year using gaymaker before leaning any real programming

First learn the syntax ofc from codecademy or so. Then try to challenge yourself. Command line chess is a good first program. Just draw a simple board with symbols or just letters for pieces. It gives you a range of challenges to deal with but nothing you couldn't solve by thinking a bit and googling some common solutions. Especially good project for OOP languages.

Then just look at what you want to do. If you want to make games, follow a learning guide for some framework. If you want to make web or networking stuff idem.

The point is always try a project you know you can't do with your current knowledge, but could learn yourself to do.

Lmao iktf brah. Looking back it wasn't too bad. I couldn't really program at the time but it does give you a feel for developing the mechanisms and stuff. Like if you make a game in game maker and you can code, it would just be a matter of "translation" to code it.

Make games. They're the most fun way to learn programming. And trust me they teach you everything. And more.

If you actually want to write something you can write it %100.
Try contributing to your favorite open source software etc.
Anyway just find something useful and do it.

What have you done so far? What languages have you been using? Have you learned anything about patterns, data structures, algorithms?

What are you trying to do when learning code? Coding is not necessarily aimed towards building software, and coding for different goals have different prerequisites, theory and crafts.

that's just a large printf, a monkey could type that out

No, it's cout

this will sound gay as fuck

learn java and make minecraft spigot plugins

This is great advice.

Just finish something and then worry about building something bigger. Codecademy is a great first step towards something.

I recommend just learning HTML and CSS first. Not really programming but you get immediate tangible results.

Try to recreate the wheel. After that, learn how the actual wheel works.
Repeat.

Don't do this.
It's called reinventing the wheel for a reason.
Once you're comfortable with the basics, or not, go on and tackle something bigger, like a program that will take you multiple hours or even days.
Learn how to work with databases and servers, read some books on languages and concepts you find interesting.

packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
This site offers a free learning book every day, it's great if the book is something that interests you.

So basically, if you feel like being a big man, start writing like one.

"Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" is the thing you're searching for.
Read it for free here: automatetheboringstuff.com/chapter0/

There is also a UDEMY course with the same name from the author that I'm sure you can find on torrents.

Automate as much as you can with Python.

And remember, motivation alone is not enough. Motivation is fleeting, what you'll need is discipline to march on when the motivation leaves.

Pomodoro technique might help as well to stay focused (helps me anyways)

Good luck

>not have result be "segmentation fault"

oh man please someone do it.

I was coming here to non ironically suggest this too.
Making stuff happen in a game you're probably familiar with is much more fun than printing out text to a terminal.

Well, why do you want to learn programming? Obviously you want to do something about that.

Just come up with something you want to make, and make it. Do some research to see how to tackle that. You don't have to finish it, but just reading up on stuff related to what you want to do is learning in and of itself.