Language based operating systems and the web

Ever heard of Plan9 or Inferno? Think Linux is the best we can do? Think again.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(operating_system)

The web is only a shitty version of what would be possible with the adoption of a universal distributed virtual machine. Resource sharing and machine collaboration, distributed computing and consensus subnets could be commonplace with these paradigms. Instead we have to deal with XML, Javascript and HTTP nonsense. The current web needs to die and be replaced, and that fast. So read up on this, wise up and stop spending your time perpetuating bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9P_(protocol)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The world needs a new OS.
winshit loonix and mac are all retarded.

Fun facts about Inferno.

No Paging: So if you use all your memory it just gives you a message that pretty much says "Go buy more RAM"

None reusable user-PIDs: So if you run our of PIDs you are forced to restart the system if you want to run another user process

But hey....muh namespaces...muh virtual machine....muh STYX

OS X and Windows are reversed

I'm not telling you to install these - given the network effect of the incumbents they are basically useless - but to incorporate their philosophy into your projects. The inner platform effect of the web will continue as long as current OSes stay as shitty as they are.

t. GAYMER

T. Homosexual

No, even if OSX is only ran on overpriced netbooks, OSX *as in the OS not user-space* is designed on a better philosophy than Windows.

This. At least Apple's business model is selling you over priced hardware instead of selling you cheap hardware and selling your data to profit off you that way. And ads aren't baked into MacOS (yet).

>Not running 9P in userland
Your doing it wrong

plan9port?

I'd agree if it was win7 or something, but it's hard to be more cancerous than win10.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9P_(protocol)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

bump

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>not running reactOS
>not running the successor to BeOS, Haiku
pleb

fuck off forreal

Yes, and I like both of them, but their hardware support is so bad that I can't actually use them.

So I use the next best, which is regular old *nix.

Unfortunately inferno, limbo and the dis vm were developed at the time when java came up.
OOP was hyped during that time instead of concurrency and distributed computing, so java was more successful and limbo basically disappeared.

NO
>FORTRAN
FORTRAN
>FORTRAN
FORTRAN
>FORTRAN
FORTRAN
>FORTRAN
FORTRAN
>FORTRAN
FORTRAN
>FORTRAN