Budget CPUs thread

Do I go for more cores and cuck myself with AM3+, or better performance per core with the slightly more expensive G/i3's, on the SUPERIOR socket?

If you own any of these, how does it perform? Tell me everything nerds. I'm on a very low budget and will have upwards of $100 for a processor.
btw this has to perform well in a fairly cpu intensive 5 year old game, no overclocking in mind unless it's AMD.

Just get the G4560. It's perfect for a budget system and you can drop a quad core into the same motherboard when they come down in price.

Does the G4560 really get such good framerates, or am I getting memed by these benchmarks? This seems too good to be true, coming from a pre-historic Core 2 Duo build.

>avg 156fps with a gtx1060 on ultra in doom
>60fps in far cry maxed with AA enabled

IT'S FUCKING $50

HOW

INTEL CONFIRMED TO BE DABBING IN JEW MAGIC

It's two Kaby Lake cores at 3.5GHz with Hyperthreading, only slightly crippled by a half a MB of cache each. An i3 in all but name (and price tag). It's not surprising that it performs well. Of course, there are games which will choke it in submission, like Watch Dogs 2, but for the money it can't be beat.

How does the i7 920 hold up these days? I have a noctua NH d15 heatsink laying around and wanted to try OCing an Intel CPU.

You are risking a lot with those CPUs. They can choke, they have low cache and occasionally you may need multiple cores. Sure, they are good though if you are extremely short of money, certainly better than those stupid 8 core cpus from ayymd.

it still sells for hundreds of doll hairs

So was it a good investment for the 920, an EVGA x58 Mobo, and 4gb ddr3?

Sorry I meant for $120

kaby lake pentiums do not support AVX. More games are starting to use AVX, it's not futureproof

>investment
learn what that word means then come back and ask a question.

No, you pretty much have Bulldozer quality CPU.

The i3's serve no purpose whatsoever these days, either get the G4560 or wait for the Ryzen 3

you know investment is not only about monetary gain, it's also about usefulness of investment.

maybe you should learn the word instead?

Makes me sad AMD does not want to sell Bristol Ridge in retail yet. Fucking branding for babies.

>and you can drop a quad core into the same motherboard when they come down in price.
Do we know if the 8th gen Intel processors will keep compatibility with Skylake motherboards yet?
Because there's no chance that Intel will ever drop prices on anything they've already released.

See Just wondering if OCing this build is gonna be worthwhile. I got a 600w EVGA PSU and a r7 370, the CPU seems to be a bottleneck

>More games are starting to use AVX

Name five.

am3+ isnt even worth considering at this point in time, it gets outclassed on all fronts by low end current gen i5s, and this is from someone who generally swears by AMD. pic related, my old rig.

if you must have AMD, buy ryzen when it comes out proper. failing that look into used xeons, theres somecrazy value for money to be had there.

>btw this has to perform well in a fairly cpu intensive 5 year old game
Which game?

I've used FX 6300 for past few years and I game, it's perfectly fine.

This is a good recommendation though Go with that

>low end current gen i5s
too bad they are still expensive

pic also related, my current xeon rig, though this one is probably going to be outclassed significantly by the 6 core ryzen chips when they come out, and the board was twice the price of the CPU. that said, if you do go xeon with xeon chipset, DDR3 ECC is 1/3rd of the price of regular DDR3.

>2000+17
>Not buying a used CPU
Seriously get yourself a used Xeon. It is the best bang for your buck, period.

No. But Intel don't need to drop prices. The used market exists and the bottom is going to fall out of quad core i7s once Intel release their hex cores and the cheaper Ryzen chips arrive.

comparable price to a worthwhile am3+ chip.

like i said, at this point used xeons are where the value for money is at, go look at the builds brian on his youtube channel techcity has done with them, some crazy bang for buck to be had there.

Don't they have 3mb like the i3's do too?

As long as it';s an upgrade from an E8400 I don't care at all at this moment.

G4560 it is then

Wow, very interesting.
I still have a 1st gen. i5 750. I was considering to build a brand new pc, but i can probably buy a decent card like the 1060, or the rx 470-480 , and obtain good results,despite the ddr3 1333-1600 and the pci ex 2.0 .
Ive also tried o/c with a new cooler, from 2.6 to 3.0 ghz at stock voltage with no problems. temps stable at 50c at 100% load.

yeah and your budget gets raped trying to get a motherboard that will work with a xeon

e3-1231v3's are still 240 bucks man

the lga 2011 xeons, I mean

thats because every cunt knows theyre a glorified i7

meanwhile the e5-2670 goes for less than the cost of a current gen pentium, because lol 2.7 GHz is 2slow for muh games senpai

a 2nd hand 6600 would give you 2x performance and half the TDP for around $100

it kind of is though

What about the frametimes on the G4560 though? It dips harder than the quadcores
>tfw still on Phenom ll

The fps can still be "good" while the game is stuttering to hell, so be cautious.

Wait for the quad-core Ryzen chips

do you have any issues useing a CPU like that? (like certan games not working?) I'd really like to upgrade from my FX-6300 mostly to play games and emulate shit.

not for a lot of games it isnt

nope, they run just fine

that said, id wait for ryzen if i were you, x79 and c602/606 boards do not go cheap unless youre cool with having a sheet of plywood for your case

What's the best budget mobo for G4560?

Either wait for Ryzen 3 or 5 in a few months, or get the G4560

Not good

Yeah but the i5s are 3x as expensive

B250 chipset, but if you're planning to buy an i7 later get a Z270 and 3000MHz RAM and enable XMP in BIOS

The i3-7350K is an amazing value

>B250 chipset

Yah I got a B250 to go with my 7700, works great even in the high end.

Those expensive motherboards are just a waste unless you plan on overclocking.