Why do Americans think Brazilians speak Spanish?

Why do Americans think Brazilians speak Spanish?

americans think that mexican is a language and they speak american

Because of a meme from a Simpsons episode.

That ep is the only reason I know Brazil speaks Portuguese desu

What language do you speak?

The American being a fat and lazy Munch isn't a meme then

Nheengatu

We are all native English speakers

why are americans obsessed with the simpsons?

Because they're all mexicans and /lat/in americans love The Simpsons

Holy shit, this actually makes sense.

are you guys obsessed with the Simpsons? i always see Bart or homer smoking weed and shit

Greek

In my state we speak German.

We could ask the same of you guys. UNA VELA

My 19yo f cousin was travelling to Brazil so I asked her if she had learnt any Portuguese. She laughed and said they speak Spanish. When I disagreed 2 other family members backed her up. I just said well okay good luck. Fortunately I only have to see these people once a year

Did I just hear UNA VELA?

20 years ago we were. Everybody in America has adamantly agree the Simpsons is shit now but it's like your uncle living in your attic: He's been there so long and it would be awkward to ask him to leave.

Jesus Christ...

It would be a little bit unfair to say you guys speak Portuguese.

How so?

Sc?

Brazil is more relevant to Portugal in every way

Oh, I see
Who knows, in some decades PT-BR and PT-PT might diverge enough to be considered different languages

DE?

Why don't Brazilians speak Portuguese?

let me explain you:

/lat/ =/= Latin America

Why didn't you just tell them to look it up?

Also I don't know how you can travel to a non anglo country without ever having a conversation of some kind about language. You'd think it would come up somehow with friends or with strangers.

This desu
No one likes the Simpsons anymore but we've all accepted that it isn't going away.

I was kind of annoyed and didn't want to argue. I figured she would figure it out eventually. I think she left already, this happened at Christmas

Better embrace Spanish and leave moortuguese behind.

I have a theory the reason why it's so popular and will remain so popular is because the older seasons are given away for free syndication and translated quickly - so developing nations are getting introduced to classic era simpsons (and loving it) 30 years after we did (The simpsons are 30 years old this year)