NVIDIA and AMD patent block any competition

I was told numerous times on this board that Nvidia and AMD use their patents to prevent any competitors from entering the market, and have agreed to not patent troll each other, just any would be newcomers.

I cannot find a source for this at all, despite it being mentioned numerous times on this board. Is this a myth? If not please provide a source.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/tiriasresearch/2016/12/06/is-amd-licensing-radeon-graphics-to-intel/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_and_non-discriminatory_licensing
kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/
theregister.co.uk/2016/01/07/nvidia_and_samsung_patent_battle/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just google it lmao

I did, no results. So is Sup Forums lying again?

forbes.com/sites/tiriasresearch/2016/12/06/is-amd-licensing-radeon-graphics-to-intel/

So couldn't a company just come up with a new method of building a discrete GPU that doesn't use patented technology from AMD or NVIDIA?

no because murkan patent system is retarded and allowed them to patent fundamentally general and low level shit

What would be an example of something low level that must be done a specific way to make a GPU, that prevents a company from coming up with a new method that doesn't infringe on it?

that's one reason but it's too oversimplified. Cost to entry, securing deals with fabs, r&d from scratch -- even intel with it's deep pockets can't navigate very well within court-proof AMD-ATI/Nvidia's patents.

Only big boyz can play this game, but they don't find it very appealing anyways.

muh series of ones and zeros matches his series
now gib muh monies bitshniz

AMD and Nvidia likely cross license patents from each other in a mutual agreement.
Much like AMD does with Intel.

>prevent any competitors from entering the market
The boring reason there are not that many competitors in the market is because the start up costs are huge.
It would take hundreds of millions of dollars to design and fabricate something to *maybe* get a share of a market.

AMD bought out ATI, and ATI started back in the mid 80s when costs were not nearly as astronomical.
I don't remember the history of nvidia, sorry.

As for the patent claim, FRAND would put a stop to it anyways.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_and_non-discriminatory_licensing

But that is just another cost before you even make a single product, so yeah.

AMD is to Pepsi as Pepsi is to Coke

Nvidia is to Coke *****

The patent system is really abused in America. I was surprised once to see that one of my plastic shopping bags had 5 patents. I looked up the patent numbers out of curiosity:

1. The bag is designed with two holes in the handles
2. The bag, using aforementioned holes, is designed to be held on a bag holder
3. The bags come in heat sealed "bag packs" of 10
4. The "bag packs" consisted of x number of them in a box
5. The dimensions and shape of the bag itself

Most people think the patent system is to protect inventors with novel, groundbreaking ideas. Really it is just a way to claim every excruciating detail of a product to sue the fuck out on anyone who does something vaguely remotely similar.

one way would be to try to scavenge 3dfx patents, but iirc, amd and nvidia already have elaready done that.

and specially facing nvidia's market dominance, most sane companies will avoid it like the plague. Let's face it, even if Vega manages to surpass 20-30% above the new 1080 Ti / Titan not many would prognosticate a parity on the discreet market share, now can you imagine if a newcomer came into the segment. Both AMD and nvidia fanbois would hold hands trying to bash them; that cooperation would be quite ugly to see.

I think that only Intel could try to enter this market, but then again, it's proving to harder to circumnavigate the patents than even their lawyers/engineers co-op have first imagined .

Why don't they just sell the cards outside of the US lol

or into
Xiaomi cards when?

patents are there to secure the status quo, not many are naive enough to dispute that.

But as time goes on, the probably of a new paradigm shifting black swan type of innovation will reach criticality, and it'll replace the old status quo, and then reap the full protection benefits of the very same old system it once faced against. That's basically theory of the elites or structural marxism in business parlance.

No chinese company can do anything when it involves actual R&D
lol

I remember when tech sites were still benching Matrox cards.

Look at how pisspoor competition is with AMD. The problem isn't patents, it's the cost/R&D. If a company has the talent and the money, they could do it.

The US gov ordered to hold back processor sales to China.
The chinese started their own state sponsored R&D cycle and I wouldn't doubt that they'll turn a blind eye to at least some patents, release those new procs internally allowing them to slowly trickle worldwide. It's been a while since I last read about it.

you're the idiot if you think that the chinese can't force themselves into this market.

Matrox is making graphics cards but they basically specialize in making cards that support like a dozen monitors. I think they're just straight up using AMD GPUs on their cards now also

Chinese GPUs when?

Then why is the mobile market dominated with cheap chinese gpus on socs?

This thread is fucking retarded, you know there's dozens of GPU companies out there right?

Never heard of Imagination? They make great gpu's for Apple's A chip.

see: kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

even if that was true there's like 4-5 big companies that licnese the IP required to design modern GPUs and none of them compete in the dgpu market because there's plenty of money just from selling low end mobile gpus.

Sup Forums doesn't lie user

fuck yea riva tnt2

It would take another company years to develop a competitive GPU architecture

heh i remember when i had a TNT Vanta 16mb that little card kicked ass cant remember what brand but it was a awesome little card that kept working until 2003

What about mattrox? They are still around and surely have some patents.

Couldn't someone acquire mattrox and use them as a starting point???

Nvidia is Chinese

>I cannot find a source for this at all
Yea, I wonder why.
maybe because you trusted someone on fucking Sup Forums of all places.

didn't nvidia try to sue some mobile chip manufacturer for using their invention "the gpu"

xiaomi and huawei are making their own SoCs

They did try, oh boy did they try
theregister.co.uk/2016/01/07/nvidia_and_samsung_patent_battle/