/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

Previous thread: If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
alternativeto.net
linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net
Gaming news:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=frd4ts8W2b0
emacs.sexy/
help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for Source Mage GNU/Linux

first for install gentoo

third for op is a fag

hi fglt i instaled manjaro as mi first distribtiuoin and now it not work wat can i do help pls linxu suks

Good thread.

Give me the quick rundown on NixOS

What is the best DE and why is it XFCE?

Your image reminds me of the comfy nes top gun intro music
youtube.com/watch?v=frd4ts8W2b0

I use dwm, do I suck less?

If Steve Jobs or Satya Nadella said that computer users should tailor their needs to what their computer can do, instead of people buying a computer based on their needs, freetards wouldn't shut up about the tyranny of these companies.

But when GNU/Linux can't do something that a user would want to do, freetards mock you and deride you for being a "manchild" or whatever. Like if you need professional level video editing software, they'll deride you as an armchair movie director with a shitty YouTube channel. Or if you commit the sin of playing video games once in a while, you are a manchild virgin (usually the people saying this are weeaboos...). Hell, if you do anything but rice out your desktop, watch anime, and host a server to store your anime, some freetard somewhere will argue that your use case scenario is illegitimate. Can you imagine how the Linux community would react if Windows users said some Linux feature was only for manchildren?

So I heard virtualbox sucks compared to qemu, but it seems a bit complicated to use. Is there any tut about how to use this shit for retards?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X
Vape: Kanger Genitank

Rate me

VirtualBox is fine for standard desktop virtualization
QEMU has a shit load more options and supports USB3 without proprietary modules

I use both.
VirtualBox for standard desktops, quick testing
QEMU on my server

I have a folder full of github projects.
Just ran this sicknasty command to update them all:
find . -type d -maxdepth 1 -exec sh -c "cd {} && git pull" \;
Is there a better way to do this?

with submodules:
git submodule update --recursive --remote

That's the PRINT key, right?

Also do I need to retype everything or can I just do ALT+SYSRQ+REISUB at once?

>using a wm
>not using the tty

>using a monitor

>Windows

Plug printer in, automatic installation regardless of user privilege.

>Linux

Plug printer in, call IT guy to install it because EVERY. FUCKING. THING. REQUIRES. ROOT.

I get that it might be a security issue, but FOR GOD, JUST MAKE IT WORK.

I've spent the last day and a half trying to get my DeskJet to work with this shit, even going as far as trying to print through a VM to just see if I can get it working without resorting to it asking for root.

Nope. Essentially impossible.

(Obviously I have it running, because I needed to print shit, but this is a serious usability issue that NOBODY seems to be addressing)

lol what a dumb faggot u r

GNU/Linux*

well?

no

Okay Sup Forumsentooman.

Trying to dual boot. Basically see the feasibility of running nothing else but Linux.

Problem is this: Can't boot linux after booting into Windows.

Secure boot is off.

Fast boot is off.

Hibernation is off.

What gives?

Using 16.04 LTS just because I'm a little rusty. I used Linux as my main driver, mostly Ubuntu and then Gentoo, but this was 6+ years ago before I decided to play games on my computer.

nothing happened
I'll try it in a few days I guess?

what does this do?

See

You didn't ask any friendly question.

see
echo 6b696c6c20796f757273656c660a | xxd -ps -r

Hi Sup Forums, this is my situation.

Im tired of windows and i really want to go deep balls on linux. The problem is that too many programs doesnt work well on linux or they dont exist.

How good will perform a windows vm ON linux? Maybe gaming on it?

You could pass your GPU through to Windows and game pretty well. You'll need a iGPU or a second one for linux though.

tfw top gun 2 got announced

>Ryzen
fell for the meme/10

The one on the right is an INI file, not a shell script, you baka

who /templeos/ here?

>not posting from ReactOS/HURD

Just found this really old meme.
Daily reminder to use lossless png instead of jpg or your memes will end up like pic related.

Thank you! But can i pass my gpu through when i want? The main reason is that i want to game and do normal stuff on linux (i play games that are pretty well optimized on linux) but when i cant i can swith a do the thingy with the gpu to pass it to windows?

idk man i haven't purchased a new computer yet but when I do I'll definitely be considering the 1700 Ryzen chip. 8 cores, 16 threads, on 65 watts. And all the games I play currently work fine on the integrated graphics of an outdated intel i7 MOBILE chip which has half the benchmark scores of current i7's. That's pretty slick

Is CentOS a good distro to learn how to use Lunix with?

rpm distros in general are not good distros

hello Dr KDE Shill

I want to be Free Wizard, how do I into emacs? What would I use emacs for?

>What would I use emacs for?
everything

It sounds magical senpai. Where do I begin, is lisp the chosen language? What should lisp be used for, how does it relate to emacs?

Best way to setup ubuntu server on LAN to do virtual hosts?

I want to be able to make wodpress sites at home on my server, then export them as static onto my vps with Virtual Hosting,

Laptop can access the internet, but its not on the DMZ (for security)

Both are running Ubuntu 14.04

If you are looking for professional experience, yes.

Give me the starting point for emac/gnu wizardry and I will start the journey. My memepad is ready

>set up autologin on LDM
>numlock is off by default for some reason
>set up numlockx greeter script
>now randomly either get a login screen with password where numlock is on or just autologin with numlock off
You made me have this archa-chan Sup Forums, now take responsibility for it's retarded actions.

Any picture viewer with image scalers (e.g. lanczos) like the Perfect Viewer we have on Android?

lol guys, check out this funny linux comic

mpv

emacs.sexy/

worst webcomic ever desu

good EDM programming setlists to steal with
youtube-dl -x HTTPS//HERELOL

im drunk and wanna steal some shit on brew

>github projects

If your kernel supports VFIO you can disconnect the card and use it on your host with a command.

Debian or Ubuntu(probably xubuntu)? Dual booting with Arch

cant you just set it in xorg.conf -- if you're using X

I have no idea what I'd have done wrong.
This is what happens when I try to compile the kernel with the amdgpu modules...

oh my stallman, what a large tummy you have!

>Windows
Plug printer in, device not recognized, sift through 2 dozen shady websites to find an .exe that may or may not be the driver you need, requires admin privileges to install, call IT guy to install it, doesn't work and also Word now crashes every hour, on the hour. Weep. Call IT guy again to reinstall Windows.

>GNU/Linux
Visit 1 forum, try out three different solutions all of which are fully reversible and only 1 of which requires root. Realize I installed GNU/Linux on this machine myself and I have full root access, fix the problem and print all I want.

I'm having problems in bash with an if statement that has a logical condition and two numerical ones. Basically, a boolean must be false and an integer must be between two constants. I have this

if [ ("$bool" = "false" ) && ( $test -gt "10" ) && ( $test -lt "30" ) ]; then
echo "yes"
else
echo "no"
fi

But it doesn't work, where am I fucking up?

> polaris10_me.bin
You don't have it.

For boolean you should just set it to 0 or 1.
Example:
bool=1
if (( $bool )); then
echo true
fi
bool=0
if ! (( $bool )); then
echo false
fi

The rest:
if ! (( $bool )) && [[ $test -gt "10" ]] && [[ $test -lt "30" ]]; then
echo "yes"
else
echo "no"
fi

Also, be sure that you're using:
#!/bin/bash
instead of:
#!/bin/sh

Am I the only one that has problems with Chrome on ubuntu?

I am not sure if its vmware problem or chrome.

It started few months ago.

After using chrome for certain amount of time, amount of ram that chrome eats grows and grows to the point that it stop whole system. After that chrome tabs crash and loop start again.

It looks like there is so problem with chrome freeing memory after tab is closed.

When I am on some site with vids and I turn on vid then close it tab after awhile memory is full.

Also anybody knows why vid on pron sites looks that much worse on firefox than on chrome?

I have ubuntu with restricted extras installed and I can watch vids on chrome in hd, but on ff the same vid looks like its 140p.

Use two brackets instead of one:

if [[ ("$bool" = "false" ) && ( $test -gt "10" ) && ( $test -lt "30" ) ]]; then

Agreed. For bool variables, don't use the constants "true" and "false" -- it's an unusual style. Most people use 0 and 1.

Thanks a lot!

You're missing amdgpu firmware probably. I'd suggest making amdgpu a module instead of built-in

How does one compile GCC from source if one does not yet have a working C compiler?

He can also do
if [ "$bool" = "false ] && [ $test -gt 10 ] && [ $test -lt 30 ]; then
# do stuff
fi

And this method is compatible with plain sh.

thanks for fucking up the syntax hilighting, Sup Forums.

>How does one compile GCC from source if one does not yet have a working C compiler?
chroot from live cd?

I’m about to install Arch Linux on a 160 GB disk (≈149 GiB) What is the best partition layout to use?

I used ubuntu for like a week last year while my windows was on the fritz. I could download programs, update them, and change some shit around, but I wanna be able to put on my resume I'm very familiar with linux.
I was planning on taking an work laptop of my dad's (I think it's a thinkpad from like 5 years ago) and just using it as a laptop to bring to class, do some light programming on, watch some twitch/jewtube, and shitpost on int and his, just to get comfortable with using linux on a daily basis and being able to do shit on it. I don't think I'm quite ready to use some super advanced distro on, but I'd like something a bit less entry-level than ubuntu. As I said, the laptop will be several years old so I don't think I can use a super cutting-edge, powerful distro.
>tl;dr what's a distro somewhat less entry-level from ubuntu that I can run on a 5 year old thinkpad to get used to linux os's on

Kinda.
I had the modules, but forgot to specify the dir in menuconfig

should I go with debian or fedora? are they libre? is fedora more bleeding edge? which would run better in a potato?

Use Arch.

>As I said, the laptop will be several years old so I don't think I can use a super cutting-edge, powerful distro.
Pretty much all GNU/Linux distros support work well on older hardware. Just install a lightweight DE like xfce or lxde or a tiling window manager like i3; and it'll work easily.

Freedom test: Pepsi or Coca-Cola?

Kompot!

agreed. I am a novice arch user and I've learned a lot from installing it to using and repairing it. even if you don't pretend to use it later on, you should at least use it for a while, you WILL learn a LOT

Debian is software + hardware libre (you can download proprietary hardware firmware though) whereas Fedora is only software libre. They're both as bleeding edge as you want them to be. They'll both run on a potato depending on the DE you use and what your definition of a potato is.

pineapple sprite , fgt

even if I haven't taken a hardware or os class yet? Or do i not need to know that kind of stuff to use arch

Which one is ("better") option debian xfce or cinnamon??

How can I access my sd card reader? It shows up in dmesg but doesn't show up for lsblk. Thanks.

What's the best environment for a hiDPI laptop? Is it still GNOME? I'm looking at a fresh wipe-and-install on my rMBP and want something that's hiDPI and Wayland friendly.

It's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be and it's not much different than Ubuntu besides the initial install process. I was surprised to find that all of the negative things I had read never happened to me. And once it's set up it's smooth sailing anyways in my experience. Easier even.

why doesn't sddm login to gnome? it keeps kicking me into kde whenever I try.

How would we know? Jesus if you don't even know how much space you need then why are you installing an OS with a manual setup? Install Ubuntu.

>tfw no xxd for fucking bsd

Do I lose my files if I install Linux? Like I want to keep Windows, but also be able to boot Linux. Is this possible?

Also, if yes, will I be able to access my files from both?

Not Coca-Cola because rms said to boycott it, but then again, I don’t like Pepsi. I’ll go with Dr. Pepper.

I’m not talking about how much space. I’m talking about shit like which locations should have their own partition like maybe /home, /tmp or /var.
I just need enough space to install software and stuff. I have spare HDD for storage purposes.

look up tutorials on how to duel boot. if you duel boot, you will not lose your files.
Your Linux system will be able to read your files on Windows, but Windows will not be able to read your files on the Linux partitions.

>duel boot

Yes, and yes.
help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
Although AFAIK, you can’t access Linux filesystems (ext4, ext3, etc.) from Windows, but you can access Windows filesystems (NTFS and fat) from Linux, so if you need to make a file accessible from both, put it in the Windows partition.

*dual

My mistake friend, you should be fine having /tmp and /var in the root partition with that much disk space, I usually only separate them when working on >30GB machines just to make it more manageable

Thanks senpai