There is nothing technologically impressive on 1080 Ti / the bigger NVIDIA chips

They are just ""SLI"" machines bundled into a single chip. They make bigger dies, they are more expensive to make and they have lower yields, and therefore they have to charge more. They are very easy to make once you have a base of mid-end chips, simply because GPUs are by definition parallel machines and you can just stick more cores onto them, because they aren't CPUs that you actually have to make the cores themselves faster too.

Take a look at this for example: A regular ~1500 cores GPU will burn about 150W of energy. Those bigger chips of ~3000 cores will burn about 300W so the above notion is pretty blatantly true.

Good technology ~= overdesigned technology.

>They are just ""SLI"" machines bundled into a single chip
trolling is a bannable offense

Hence the quotations marks. They are technically not using SLI but technologically, even SLI is more complex. Those big chips do essentially nothing more than sticking more cores onto the existing chips technologically.

I'm still gonna buy it.

Looks like you're just looking for an excuse for being POOR

You can buy it, nobody will stop you. I'm referring to the notion that this is somehow something to "celebrate" in technology discussions. Anyone that can make a GPU can just stick more cores into it and make a faster GPU, hence the "Ti" of 1080 offers nothing to the table other than "moar cores" technologically.

..and a price of $700 that will be worth $100 in 5 years.

You're either trolling or retarded. Kys yourself, sage & hide.

It's not like that's how all graphics chips are built today or anything. I mean that wasn't the idea when both AMD and Nvidia started using programmable shader blocks at all.

I don't know why you deny that simple fact. Those CPUs are exactly the same technology with their small brothers. They practically have moar cores and practically spend almost double the energy.

GPUs*

Did you just discover how GPUs work? They were never serial machines. They always worked in parallel, they always got easy gains from moar cores, and they never needed serial performance the way CPUs do.

Tone down the retard, nobody is talking about parallel vs serial processing here. Except you.

>They are just ""SLI"" machines bundled into a single chip

Except, they're not, it's a single chip

I don't even know what you're trying to say anymore.

Expect I knew retards like you would reply and I put quotation marks, I guess I shouldn't double them to predict the extra retards, but triple them for the super extra retards like you.

A retarded statement in between quotation marks is still a retarded statement.

You're tech illiterate

You're literally saying that the fact that programmable shader blocks work as intended is no good. What the fuck is wrong with you?

>same architecture
GTX 980ti = 2816 cores
GTX 1070 = only 1920 cores
GTX 1070 is fater and draw less power

Fuck off OP

>coars is the only thing that matters
You forgot the megahurtz :^)

>Take a look at this for example: A regular ~1500 cores GPU will burn about 150W of energy. Those bigger chips of ~3000 cores will burn about 300W so the above notion is pretty blatantly true.
I remember the GTX750Ti used to have only 5W higher TDP than the regular GTX750, so you are wrong.

> source: ass and manboobs

>..and a price of $700 that will be worth $100 in 5 years.

implying that all tech doesn't go down in value over time.

hardware has always been a money dump

ITT: Bunch of triggered idiots that miss the point.

It's not that GPU cores never advance idiots.

It's that 9999 cores != better tech

There *IS* some power saving due to half VRAM needed mainly and some other minor circuitry but that's about it, for the most part those chips mainly bundle more cores into a single chip on the same generations, OP is right.

>better performance != better tech
You're retarded.

you have cognitive dissonance