ENDGAME:

ENDGAME:
FORTRAN

why is this beautiful language not spoken about anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/stream/bitsavers_symbolicss8SymbolicsCommonLispLanguageConceptsAug8_35228262/999018_Symbolics_Common_Lisp_Language_Concepts_Aug86#page/n113/mode/2up
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

jesus that cover looks aesthetic as fuck, I can't believe it's over 60 years old.

FORTRAN
FORCRAN
FOURCRAN
FOURCHAN

truly /our language/

fuck this and the abomination called Matlab that the engineering dept. at my uni makes me use.

Doesn't seem so rad for actual software beside multiplying some matrices.

Because its not beautiful, just fast and did its job. If you are actually looking for a beautiful language, go for haskell

things were more advanced, before microsoft

>Fortran
>Beautiful

It didn't even become structured until f77 wtf

lisp
everything should have been lisp
homoiconic

the quality and expanse of systems/languages like this

archive.org/stream/bitsavers_symbolicss8SymbolicsCommonLispLanguageConceptsAug8_35228262/999018_Symbolics_Common_Lisp_Language_Concepts_Aug86#page/n113/mode/2up

beautiful

meh, worse dynamo

I use it everyday for engineering work. Modern Fortran is every bit as easy to work as Matlab and even Python once you build up a collection of nice libraries. It is a clean, organized language that is easy to read and understand.

Fortran is a good language for computation. Not sure if I would recommend it for writing CandyClones or whatever.

You are going to love the workplace.

gnu octave

tell me about your job and modern fortran user
have you used older fortran for jobs?

Job is hush-hush, but subject is fluid and thermal simulations.

Old punch-card Fortran 77 is what people think of when Fortran is mentioned, and that is what often gives people a bad taste in their mouths. Really throws people who have grown up on modern languages for quite a loop. Fortran has modernized while maintaining compatibility with legacy code, so you are free to write it out in a more modern Fortran 90 style or go full-on punchcard hipster if you like.

...is perfectly cool and all for doing the Matlab thing without Mathworks. But's not a compiled language and is going to be ~slow~ for some things. Great for scripting, prototyping, visualization, etc; octave-forge libraries are A+.

What was this mainly used for?

My fucking dentist asked me if we still use it and said he had a class on it in college. I just told him it's not really used anymore besides by hobbyist. Was I correct?

>Was I correct?
no.

simply checking wikipedia would have shown you this.
>Fortran (formerly FORTRAN, derived from "Formula Translation"[2]) is a general-purpose, imperative programming language that is especially suited to numeric computation and scientific computing. Originally developed by IBM[3] in the 1950s for scientific and engineering applications, Fortran came to dominate this area of programming early on and has been in continuous use for over half a century in computationally intensive areas such as numerical weather prediction, finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics, computational physics, crystallography and computational chemistry. It is a popular language for high-performance computing[4] and is used for programs that benchmark and rank the world's fastest supercomputers.[5]

Speed and effectiveness are their own kind of beauty.

>hobbyist
You were obviously on laughing gas. Fortran's main audience has always been scientists, and they have the same reverence for it that systems programmers have for C. It's accepted wisdom that if you need to do intense numeric computation on many gigabytes of input, like weather forecasts, Fortran is still king.

w-what about lisp/scheme? Wasn't it designed specifically for numeric computation? It even uses parenthesis!

Please try harder to shitpost from now on. That was very low-effort. You're an embarrassment to other shitposters like me.

Fortran is still used on super computers for scientific purposes and people who make scientific equipment that needs to do a lot of calculation. (geological sonars looking for oil and that sort of thing)

I don't know anyone who uses fortran outside of the scientific community. Maybe in the oil field.

Trivia: Matlab's calculations is actually based on Fortran

So does Python if using numerical libraries like NumPy.

Tons of Fortran in aerospace, but mainly old proven code that is maintained.

``Structured programming" is code-word for bloat.

They still use FORTRAN in the nuclear power industry, mainly (as I'm told by friends working there) because there are millions of lines of it and paying developers to port the code to something more modern would cost way too much and be far too risky given that it works currently.

WHAT FONT IS THAT

Also that cover is amazing