Old servers with really nice specs are super cheap on Ebay...

Old servers with really nice specs are super cheap on Ebay. Seems great for running a bunch of virtual machines at home or even a desktop yet I never see anyone buying these for home use. What gives Sup Forums?

Massively high power consumption.

Hardly. Just as much as a gaming pc.

Power supply rating 570W
Noise and power
Idle power consumption 150W
Peak power consumption 270W

If you like the sound of airplanes taking off and living on the sun then go for it

this
rack server are pretty loud, even not on load

Yeah, but 24/7. Servers must consume less, MUCH less than gaming PCs.

I can just run a desktop OS and run it as a desktop.

no gpu

I had a Pentium 3 Poweredge once, and it was unbelievably loud

You could use the parts and put in another case and swap out power supply etc. for a quieter one. There's always suprises though like proprietary hole placements or whatever that get in your way. It would have to be way cheaper for me to be tempted. Way cheaper. More like free. Probably why not many buy them on ebay. Better to look on craigslist or snoop around surplus or auctions.

Depending on the server GPU can be a hell to install.
In the summer loud as fuck if you don't have AC on 24/7

power draw
>not just using leftover pc parts to frankenstein a shitty server.

>snoop around surplus or auctions
MSP I admin for does this. R710 for $30? Fuck yeah.

My gaming PC was lke 230w, also it had a nice video card that could do gaming, unlike a server (which have crap video cards which usually can't even do a 2nd monitor out or even support a video card)

Also the issue of size, where do I put that big honkin thing?

I bought one about a year ago, have it running in the basement where I can't hear it and it's been generating an extra $1000+ per month running a basic spam script 24/7.

>
>
>My gaming PC was lke 230w, also it had a nice video card that could do gaming, unlike a server (which have crap video cards which usually can't even do a 2nd monitor out or even support a video card)
>
>Also the issue of size, where do I put that big honkin thing?

You can replace the video card, you know that right?

So you have 11410 watt psu there or something? Either that, or you simply lying.

Enjoy trying to fit a dual slot PCIe card into a server case

>his desktop doesn't have 3 redundant 2000W PSUs
>his desktop doesn't even have a 20 minute BIOS boot time because of muh self tests
>his desktop doesn't have 20 small high-rpm fans for the ultimate cooling
>his desktop is still compatible with full size PCIe cards even though half size is CLEARLY superior
>his desktop isn't even certified for VMware ESXI

Fucking gaymers man, real men use servers for everything

I actually have that exact server in my garage, but it's a yellow google search appliance. Anyway it's rock solid and has survived four years of 90 degree summers and 40 degree winter temps. It pulls about 180w idle.

Are you high?

It uses 300 watts at max load

> Are you high?
Are you?
>it's been generating an extra $1000+ per month running a basic spam script 24/7.

$1000 is for ~11410 watt device running 24/7 for month (for $0.12 per kWh price).

In my country they are not.

The WRRRRRRRRRTRRRRRRRRRRR is pretty off-putting, replaced all the fans incl psu fan on mine, still pretty loud

I guess he means $1000 extra earnings, not on his electricity bill.

So? Buy a 2U if you are concerned about space.

>Hardly. Just as much as a gaming pc.
lol no. pic related is my dual Xeon E5-2660v2

you can make them quiet if you're willing to replace fans

When you want a server, an old tower works just fine, just load it up with Hard drives, run a light linux Distro, network map the drives, and boom you have a server.

I'd rather get a HPe microserver. It's silent and the more expensive variants have enough power to virtualize a firewall and routing software. I'd like HP to release a next generation with more juice already. Want a passively cooled 4 core xeon in that format.

He wants to buy server hardware and use it as a desktop because it's cheaper.

Well he is a dumbass

>old

oh fuck I have 3 r710s in production at work lol

>generating an extra $1000+ per month running a basic spam script 24/7.

wat

can i have some more information about this

because
a) you are fucking blind
b) you are just trying to be a fucking tool and thinly disguise a shitty thread
or c) fuck off

entire table is 550w constant

Get a 12 bay r510, still makes a damn fine nas or San with h700 raid card.

i'm lying to look cool on the internet

That's absurd for idle, you know?

I have had a few eBay server, they are not worth the time / noise / hearing loss. They can and will eventually break down.

Build something in a desktop case with ecc, you will be much better off.
Only really consider buying one if you know what you are doing, and know why you need it.

Servers have two advantages only - hot-swap drive bays and dual hot-swap PSUs.

>entire table is 550w constant

that's a lot desu

:)

He uses palo alto

Eh. I've got an r515 in my work room and the Adtran 1638 switch that it's on top of is louder. About 32dB from 1m away.

Out-of-band management, built-in diagnostics (more than standard boards at least), ECC, better quality components...

174w It's got dual L5630's with 48gb of Ram. I have FreeNAS on it and I use it for Plex, Nextcloud, and Transmission. I changed the PSU so it's not loud but there is a blowing sound. I don't hear it while watching TV, but I still need to move it to my closet. I also changed the controler card to a perc h310 flashed to a 9211-8 in IT mode and I changed the backplain so it can do sata III.

There is a 1500 APC UPS in the bottom and the switch is a srw2024. I want to add another 12 Core server for ESXI and a 8 core Atom server for PFSense. The ESXI will probably run Debian and another VM for FreePBX. The Router will do a lot plus OpenVPN which is handle by a Pi right now.

I just bought an HP DL380 G6 with dual X5550, 32GB RAM and two 300gb SAS disks for hosting my and my friends stuff.

I kinda wanna do Xen and a personal VM or two for everyone, since this is basically just for a learning experience and not much else.

I also have an IP camera system that runs on windows so that will be a VM too. The point is that you can do a lot. Power, sound, and heat really are not that big of a deal. I might also use my HDHomerun Prime as a DVR on this system. I also run 2 other computers, one is my workstation and the other is a Gaming PC. I'd like to add some printers. It's all pretty neat and everything works trough my phone home and away.

better picture

lol I do it for learning too

Processor scaling beyond 2MP, higher memory capacity both per DIMM and per system, etc, etc, etc...

Do I go with Xen or VMWare?

Which one is easier to config, probably VMWare I'd presume since proprietary and everything.

vsphere is stupid easy to configure

CHECK IT YOU KEKLESS TWATS!

I managed to set up environments in Viral Box really fast, but some major corporations may require certain software like VMware

Virtual Box*
The fuck

lol just use Esxi

checked

I've got a Precision 690 workstation that was used for CAD work at my old job. Right now it's only got one dual core Xeon 5130 and 2GB of ECC. My plan is to slap in a couple 5300 series quad cores and 16-32GB of RAM and use it for ESXi. Thing is loud as fuck when the fan gets spun up.

Have 2U dell server at work and it'll heat up small sized office to insane temperatures while sounding like Ilyushin taking off.

Still it's like 10 years old and nothing ever failed in it (fans, hdd) while being in non AC environment with no ups.

550w is a lot of power you dunce

paid 51€ for the two thin servers and ~600€ for the fat one(quad 10C/20T cpu)

I was just used to VBox, didn't want to learn/use anything new unless there was a clear performance gap in between.

With that kind of power you should use a bare metal hybervisor not using virtual box.

With around 0.20€/kWh, that's 0.10€/h, or 2.40€ a day or 72€ a month just to power this. That's stupidly expensive.

>I had a Pentium 3 Poweredge
Hi grandpa

cheap Hydroelectricity masterrace

>Not using renewable energy in 2017

Any recommendations for hardware that would be much cheaper to run esxi and a couple VMs on? Our building management pays for power but last time I parked a couple of old R710s at home, he talked to me about using so much power saying that he might have to charge me extra past a certain amount.

I just want something simple that can run maybe 2 Linux VMs for file serving and testing. Nothing special. The condo is wired for gigabit and we have fiber through the local muni provider.

Lenovo TS140

The cheap server of the moment. Ebay is full of them, with Xeon or i3.

I use VBox on my main machine, and I don't have separate hardware. Otherwise I'd use type 1 HV through and through.

something with a single xeon-L? can't be that power hungry.

i pay 7 1/2 cents per kwh, so its really not much