What exactly is a "Hacker"?

How does one become a hacker? What should you learn to become a hacker? Is social engineering considered hacking?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Hacker
youtube.com/watch?v=7RT18TFJvpo
youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM
yuki.la/vp/31624119
catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
ssd.eff.org/en
itsecgames.com
exploit-exercises.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is social engineering considered hacking?

yes

most of the great hacks in history have had a social aspect to them

the oldest trick in the book is to get a job as a janitor at your target's place of business and when you clean at night write down all the passwords stickynoted to the side of monitors

most hacks occur when the target fucks up and leaves something vulnerable, not by "beating" encryption or brute forcing a password (although this does happen)

A hacker is someone who uses six chopsticks at once.

The word hacker has changed over time and become meaningless or having many different meanings depending on how you look at it

at one time hacking meant to hack away at your keyboard till you could get something to work (code) then it was used to mean breaking into something, such as breaking the phone company's code of tones to make free long distance calls or just fuck up call routing

now people use it for anything pertaining to information being taken from one party that was keeping it secret and giving it to another party for any reason

and any practical joke done over the internet is called hacking

just about anything people find someone doing with a computer that is not approved of is called hacking at this point

Hacking means to hack, what's not to get

get an axe

>get an axe

cheating

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Hacker

one does not simply 'become' a hacker

just start using your computer regularly, stop using windows and mac shits, learn to program and eventually you'll be able to do hacking.

Social engineering is hacking.

If you want to become a hacker learn C, pick up Python, Assembler, reverse engineering, learn how networking works, and the internals of Windows and Linux. Once you know programming you can pick up other languages in a matter of days. Depending on the attack you may need to pick up Javascript, SQL or XSS for example. Hackers are limited by their knowledge. Hacking requires a broad base of knowledge because you need to understand how the system you're attacking works. I'd say know C, Python, Assembler and reverse engineering as a base along with knowledge in networking, reverse engineering and various OS internals. From there you can expand your knowledge whichever way you want to take it. If you had that base as your knowledge most systems will be open for attack by you.

>Hacking means to hack, what's not to get
And what do you mean by hack

>Once you know programming you can pick up other languages in a matter of days.

Days? More like minutes

>What exactly is a "Hacker"?
Someone who understands networking perfectly and has a knack for reverse-engineering code.
>How does one become a hacker?
One highly educates themselves on networking, both hardware and software; and learns to break up and analyze code and use the gained knowledge.
No.

Now get the fuck out and go fuck yourself with a dragon dildo.

I am a hacker, I penetrated 2 servers last night

>he hasn't hacked the gibson
O i am laffin

A hacker is a pussy who have Twitter account and explain their plans with a sassy quote.

>ywn copy the garbage file from /root/.workspace/.garbage.

cute feminine benis y/n?

youtube.com/watch?v=7RT18TFJvpo

See how this guy performs a pentest by spamming F5 on a website? Do that for a week and you'll unlock your title.

> What exactly is a "Hacker"?
Put simply a term used to describe an unethical from of pentesting, which is sometimes used for malicious purposes, bribery, scams, stealing, and so on.
> How does one become a hacker?
Learn about pentesting then apply that to non-ethical practices.
> What should you learn to become a hacker?
How not to get identified, the most common computer languages, social manipulation, and so on again. Have to look it up yourself mostly.
> Is social engineering considered hacking?
Sure I guess if it gets you unauthorized access to a computer system. Such as going into a company as a cleaner then at night if someone leaves a PC on and unlocked, (Which I can say they do from experience) then just use it for whatever you want.
Or even pretending to be from the ISP with fake id's as most don't actually know what the real ones look like. Then there you go most lay users won't know what you would do anyway.

> tl:dr
Learn to get good online through research, and learn not to be an autistic spag when under pressure.

/thread

Just watch this op
youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM

the worst thing is that this is true nowadays

Who is the cumdump boi in the picture?

All I can find is this archive where they talked about him.
yuki.la/vp/31624119
Shocktens is the name attributed to this guy.

According to Richard Stallman, hacker is a person who can ingenuously find ways to entertain perself, be it information technology or music. Hacker is a person who has lots of ideas and brains to make them happen in real life, especially for amusement of the author of the hack or others spectators.

How is it possible for guys to be ten times hotter than the best androgynous tomboy?

you watch wargames once

pls.

I have to fuck him. I bet he has a cute little pink asshole.

If you use Sup Forums you're already a hacker

depending on what you mean by hackers, for me hackers are just very talented programmers

When you smash her stack and come back for the backdoor action while her man is busy cleaning up the mess you left with your last exploit.

There is a link for this question all over the website.

They're all alike.

Except for Haskell and Lisp

>How does one become a hacker?
When you need to know something, you Google it. It's seriously that easy. Normies have shit for brains, so this is something far beyond their comprehension.

>What should you learn to become a hacker?
Install Gentoo.

Yes. Why do things the technical way when you can send an email saying "XD gewglez teamz, blease resets passwrds, t. gooble teem" and the shit for brains normies do it?

If you can track down an off-grid honya (Japanese bookstore) specializing in pre-Shannon era computertonics and preclusion datametry you should purchase a neo-English translated hardcopy of "Syntax Parameterization: From Analog to Algorithm" by Yuuri Sufed Hosoya. Pressed cellulose fiber sucks, but government ICE is always scanning for this text and knocks it out as soon as it hits the net (and you'll find yourself in a solitary cell in a Nagano level 4 prison for data crimes).

Find it, read it, learn it, love it, make it your bible. When you think you know it, write it out by hand on nitrocellulose paper and torch it when complete. Then spend a sabbatical in Japan rolling with the Datum Yakuza to get some experience. When you are fluent enough, track down the original copy and then your education can truly start. Keep in mind it took me 3 years and the lives of three men and one woman who I loved dearly for me to finally acquire it.

It's a long path but if you are serious about tech literacy this is one of the ways to become knowledgeable. You may need to do some shady blackhat merc shit to get enough creds for the nexus Yakuza to even look at you, but worry about that as it comes.

Good luck.

>the oldest trick in the book is to get a job as a janitor at your target's place of business and when you clean at night write down all the passwords stickynoted to the side of monitors
This would only work in a company full of retards. I work for a major corporation and every employee in the entire company has to watch a training video that tells them not to "store" passwords in that way. Anyone who doesn't follow the rules would be fired.

>Put simply a term used to describe an unethical from of pentesting
Wrong again retard. Hacking != Cracking

Jesus you fucks should be dragged into a ditch and shot.

>This would only work in a company full of retards.

it has worked many times in the past, dumpster diving for scratch paper with passwords on it also used to be a big thing

Gibbs?

Why is that picture of me getting posted everywhere?

a hacker someone that programs in lisp and C and wears striped knee high socks

You realize most people are idiots and still do this even at large companies. Even when people have to change their passwords every couple of months, they usually just append another number to the end of it.

Is the OP a girl or a girl (male)?

Pls answer

+1

Okay op time to learn the fuck up. Don't say hacker, thats a term for uneducated script kiddies and salty 9 year olds. First thing you need to understand cyops isn't just "Hacking" it has 3 disciplines that a good pentester will have a SME understanding of.
>Hack
Using a known exploit to gain access/control of target systems/network. (I.e. arp cache posioning, MIM attacks, DDOS attacks, the dyse DDOS attack.)
>Crack
Scripting/reverse engineering an application to use an exploit or a weakness known or unknown. (I.e. malware, dayzero attacks, ect.)
>phreak
Social engineering valuable information from stupid fucking users. (I.e. shoulder surfing, piggy backing, stress testing operator's/customer service.)

You don't like math? Tough shit go somewhere else. Its not something you can "learn as you go" its upper level calculus and differential statistics, not optional. You will trouble shoot more than you will use, you will fail time and time again, there will ALWAYS be a bigger faster smarter hacker, you will NEVER be the best. You will forget more than most people will know, and learn new concepts and threats every fucking day.

1/2

A hacker is someone who enjoys playful cleverness—not necessarily with computers. The programmers in the old MIT free software community of the 60s and 70s referred to themselves as hackers. Around 1980, journalists who discovered the hacker community mistakenly took the term to mean “security breaker.”

Please don't spread this mistake. People who break security are “crackers.”

This.

Also read esr:
>How to become a hacker?

holy shit you're stupid

It is hard, it is awkward and it is a passion more than a career. If this appeals to you than good. The industry is currently under nurouished and is the most rapidly growing field in tech and will continue for several more years. Now if you REALLY want to start from scratch go find the most recent comp TIA security+ book and memorize it. If you get the cert i promise you, you will be hireable approximately no where. So don't. Now after that big boy pants, ccna wireless, ccna security, and a 4 year degree in networking, or programing. Don't fall for meme degrees that teach half of what you need for either. This will make you desktop support equivalent, work hard and get into a network engineer and then you may attempt the field. Ask any security engineer this is the gospel i preach to you OP. There's a lot of free pentesting sites that are AWSOME to learn from, but that is still limited. Learn how to subnet a homenetwork, and virtualize a test lab. Set it up and break it apart until you die. Ill go ahead and post a few freebies to get you started. This isn't to discourage you OP (or anyone else) this is the nature if the beast. 2/2

overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
Good for SSH understanding start here
ssd.eff.org/en
itsecgames.com
exploit-exercises.com
Also read ghost in the wire written by Kevin Mitnick. No really supper relevant information for today, but it is a good read, and its a reminder that just because its on the Internet doesn't mean you'll get away with it.

Solid post 10/10 lots of value able info

I work in a fortune 100 company ATM and let me tell you it's staffed chock full of retards

Who's this demen semon?

Me...

thanks, now i need a picture of that boipucy

girl (male), you faggot.

It's very obvious. Why ask?