When should I upgrade?

when should I upgrade?

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.shopping.com/MSI-MSI-NX8800GTS-T2D640E-640MB-DDR3-PCIE-TWO-DUAL-LINK-DVI-HDTV-OUT-Retail/info
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You shouldn't? Are you going to pair a 1080Ti with it?

Why would you want to upgrade? Most Sup Forums users here still use a Pentium 4 or a Core 2 Duo and your CPU is faster than that.

Right after dumbfucks from AMD fix most Ryzen bugs.

I still didn't even overclock it, it's like 5-6 years old now
I wonder if I should buy a new cooler and try it out

>I still didn't even overclock it

Filthy casual

I never got around buying a cooler and didn't want to try it out before that.
Anyone have a cooler recommendation?

Hyper 212 EVO

Any Ryzen is better than Inturd.

With Thermalright HR-02, you can rut it passive with stock clocks.
[email protected], lower than stock voltage 1.08V, HR-02, idle 38C, max load (48h prime small fft test) 57C.

If you get adequate performance with stock clocks, no reason to overclock. Better run with low clocks and voltages and have the chip lasting at least 20 years (with 28nm and smaller, you chip won't last that long because of transistor decay, unlike 32nm chip, which will last eternity).

And to your question: who knows, Intel archs after SB do not offer significant upgrade and Zen loses to SB on some single threaded operations, so it's acutally downgrade.

when Intel upgrade their standard to 8 cores minimum

lol, I bet it costed you more than a standard 2500, I mean are you dumb

I'm not interested in OC, so I got a a better non-k model for the same price.

This is the only correct answer.

If Intel doesn't have more than 4 cores, no one will make programs that would require more than this so it runs like shit in half of the computers in the world.

the difference was like 15 bucks

Wait about a month for Ryzen motherboards to actually appear, and for Microsoft to fix Windows so that it stops crippling Ryzen performance.
Then get whichever Ryzen chip you want.

When you're given a reason to upgrade. I haven't seen one yet.

ah ok, then its fine

i got non-k 3470 for less than 2500k, and a 3570 would have costed the same

i have mine for over 5 years at 4.2ghz with a big cooler and its fine

GIVE ME ONE (1) REASON TO UPGRADE

How about me? I got a 4690K @4.6GHz and I'm looking for IPC improvements

Watching 720p (YIFY doesn't count)

AGP version of GeForce 6 to 8 can do hardware 720p video decode

Give me ONE reason to upgrade this based powerhouse cpu

The 386 still has a bit of kick to it

>Watching 720p (YIFY doesn't count)
>720p doesn't count
wat

>not needing more than 8 MB of RAM

Shit performance in 3D accelerated games, i bet you can't afford two 3Dfx cards to link.

nothing personell kid
*hits turbo button*

Because 8 cores are so great for gaming right

>muh gaymes

Pretty sure GF8 AGP doesn't exist.

And no matter if you have hardware acceleration, you still need a decent CPU, its like saying you can play Quake 2 on a 486 just because you have a Voodoo, you might not need a Pentium 200 but you still need a Pentium.

>720p doesn't count

See pic related and stop being an ignorant.

>Pretty sure GF8 AGP doesn't exist.

uk.shopping.com/MSI-MSI-NX8800GTS-T2D640E-640MB-DDR3-PCIE-TWO-DUAL-LINK-DVI-HDTV-OUT-Retail/info

>its like saying you can play Quake 2 on a 486 just because you have a Voodoo, you might not need a Pentium 200 but you still need a Pentium.
That's more because the Voodoo can't do T&L which makes gaming very CPU dependent.

Would scythe kotetsu be better than the 212 evo?

Gimme one reason, Sup Forums

if you stop using x86 garbage you can upgrade to a motorola 68000, use unix and program in C

>windows
>lowest possible quality rips of mostly lousy movies
>disc drive emulators
>drives named after star trek shit

That looks like something a nigger would hang around their neck

>Tfw 4mb of ram is enough

You're fighting over a couple of degrees of heat dissipation between two very well working HS&F, so objectively there's no reason to choose one over the other. It will be subjective, so go for whichever one you think looks nicer. You might want to ask in /sqt/.

well if it's that little of a difference, I might as well get the 212 evo, it's currently almost twice as cheaper than the scythe on german amazon

Gimme one fucking reason Sup Forums

i5 750 master race! Still going strong after 8 fucking years.

>link

you sure this is legit?... can't even appreciate the slot on the picture, but whatever

>muh T&L

Are you saying you can play Quake 2 well in a 486 with a GeForce 2 MX just because it supports T&L? You can't be this delusional.

Quake 3 is a slideshow on a Pentium 166 with a Radeon 9800 Pro as well.

Hardware acceleration helps but it isn't magic.

>90% of YIFY rips are not actually 720p
>somehow this doesn't make it the YIFY standard
>not liking the best scifi shows ever created (excluding JJ shit)
>being a freetard
>prefering to use a crack instead of a virtual drive

Opinion discarded.

Implying he'd still have his CPU if he'd've overclocked it on day one.

>Are you saying you can play Quake 2 well in a 486 with a GeForce 2 MX just because it supports T&L?

well the thing is that Quake 2 doesn't support T&L, both the hardware and the software have to support it

obviously just because something isn't super CPU bound doesn't mean that CPU doesn't matter for performance

considering a pentium 3 can easily deal with 480p content alone i'm fairly sure the help from the GPU will give it the push it needs to do 720p

He would, unless he's a retarded cunt that throws in 1.4V for daily use.

The fact you're proud of your faggotry makes this even funnier.

No reason to upgrade before 2020. Next 2 gen of Intel chips won't be any better than Skylake and while AMD is making progress, do you need the extra power ? probably not.

frugal:
>it will probably last another 5-8 years

somewhat impatient but still sensible:
>in 6 months to a year when Ryzen prices have had time to settle and there are some sales a la Microcenter and Intel has come out with their next gen stuff

retard-tier:
>now

>Most Sup Forums users here still use a Pentium 4 or a Core 2 Duo
Is this what you tell yourself?

I know an Athlon XP can handle 720p with help from the GPU (it still struggles with 1080p), a Pentium III I'm not so sure, maybe one of those with low bitrates (even the very few actual 720 YIFY rips), but I doubt it could handle a 4GB rip.

>mpv
>erotic anime shit

This explains everything.

>somewhat impatient but still sensible:
>>in 6 months to a year when Ryzen prices have had time to settle and there are some sales a la Microcenter and Intel has come out with their next gen stuff

There is no next-gen Intel desktop chips this year. Mobile 10nm might show up a the end of the year but desktop 10nm will be in 2018. I will only be a shrink, so no real change unless you care about power consumption.

AMD will have released full Ryzen lineup in 6 months tho. I would probably wait for a Ryzen refresf tho.

You're probably right

Personally I wouldn't upgrade a 2500k at all, it's good for many years. Buying a 2500k and a 79xx in 2011 means you're set until 2020 basically..

Are you me ?

>Tfw -1MB of RAM

When the performance of your current system is no longer sufficient for your needs.

me too I'm running on stock it's quiet and by now it's probably soldered to together anyway...

I upgraded an i7 3325 to an i7 3770 to go with a GTX 960.

I also upgraded an i5 4690S to an i7 4790K to go with a GTX 1070.

I did well.

If you plan on gaming past 1080p.
2500K, overclocked, bottlenecks anything faster than RX 480 or GTX 1060.
You can see improvements on a 1070, but the CPU holds the GPU back.

Firefox on Linux has dropped support for anything before a P4.

What do they need SSE2 for?

Ada Lovelace left you for someone else?

never

ยป grep -ri 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo | head -n1
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

If you don't overclock, get the R7 1700. Even if you did, a slight overclock makes it faster than the 1800x in most benchmarks.

True dat.
And with GNU/Linux you can fully exploit the Core 2 Duo capability with gcc compile options:

-march=native -O3 -mfpmath=sse

Squeeze out a little more years from it and watch 1080p movies browse your browser fast and smooth, work a vm, etc etc..