/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

Previous thread:

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
alternativeto.net
linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net
Gaming news:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/nebukazar/StyleChan)
alternativeto.net
hastebin.com/wucudizeje.xml
imgur.com/a7cPgUS
aescrypt.com/download/v3/linux/AESCrypt-GUI-3.11-Linux-x86_64-Install
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You should install StyleChan (github.com/nebukazar/StyleChan)
It gives you themes for Sup Forums.

forgot to post pic related

also 2nd for Arch GNU/Linux is best GNU/Linux

Firefox's screenshot tool fucked up my screenshot.

>redditorized color scheme
>dark variant to add to the insult

Hey, that's pretty good. Thanks. The stock themes lack some contrast for my taste but it makes it damn easy to make your own.

I'll keep my issue short and clear.

I previously had Arch, but I want to replace it with Manjaro.
Arch is currently installed on my 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD with a EFI, /root, /swap and unallocated partition. My 2TB HDD is purely /home. It currently has my rere pepe's, documents, music, TV series and whatnot on it.

Can I keep my /home on the HDD and will it automatically be found when my Manjaro installation is done? Do I assign it at one point in the installation? Should I unplug it while installing Manjaro? Should I make a back-up of the HDD files and just wipe it (I prefer not to do this)?

A short plan of steps would be very greatly appreciated. >:)

I like consistency. I use it in my terminals, my Vim colorscheme, my .Xresources (so any X program), my i3, everything. It looks all nice and consistent.

I've just installed Arch with the intention of moving to sway, but I'm getting the following error when trying to start it:

ERROR: swaybg requires the compositor to support the desktop-shell extension.

which doesn't seem to make much sense seeing as sway is a compositor. What am I doing wrong?

I'm glad I'm not the only one to do this, I've dark solarized just about everything I use and the consistency is great.

/usr/bin/setsched.sh :
#!/bin/bash

alias schedtool='schedtool -v'

# SCHED_FIFO (system)
schedtool -F -p 49 -n -20 `pidof pulseaudio`
schedtool -F -p 48 -n -19 `pidof Xorg`

# SCHED_RR (realtime)
#schedtool -R -p 2 -n -18 `pidof csgo_linux64`

# SCHED_NORMAL (games, multimedia)
schedtool -n -2 `pidof deadbeef`
schedtool -n -2 `pidof mpv`
schedtool -n -1 `pidof csgo_linux64`

# SCHED_BATCH (background)

# SCHED_IDLEPRIO (background)

exit

/usr/lib/systemd/system/setsched.service :
[Unit]
Description=Automatically assign scheduling polices to choosen apps

[Service]
User=root
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/setsched.sh

/usr/lib/systemd/system/setsched.timer :
[Unit]
Description=Run setsched every 1 second

[Timer]
OnBootSec=1
OnUnitActiveSec=2
Unit=setsched.service

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

The timer does not work. Only runs once and then stops. If I do something like:
watch -n 1 systemctl status setsched
it works as intended. Why would the timer only work if I watch it? What did I do wrong?

You shouldn't post your personal scripts in /usr/bin.

s/post/put/g

Where should they go then? Also do you know why is this shit not working? I doubt it's because of /usr/bin

Is there any tool which can tell what "dynamic libraries" a particular process is using currently?
Lets say there is a pid 8888
$ showmelibIuse 8888
$ "List of libraries"

I don't know whyt it's not working, and it's not because of their being in /usr/bin, but it's not recommended to put your own scripts there because that's where package managers put installed software. You can put your scripts in /usr/local/bin or ~/.local/bin or any other location provided you add it to your PATH

>alternativeto.net
Pls remove this site.
All they list are high memory bloatwares that are ported from windows.
No dev tools. No command line tools
Remove at once.

ldd
you should see which file has that pid, and then run ldd on it.

This is why people think arch users are rerarded

Thanks for the contribution! XD

You're welcome

I'm not familiar with the calamares installer but if it doesn't give you the option to install while keeping your current home folder untouched (it might, Ubuntu installers do) you can install the other stuff to the 256GB drive and mount your /home afterwards. It won't hurt to dig around in the installer options and see as long as you don't accidentally click install. And you might take a look at the Manjaro wiki it's pretty nice.

It's really fucking weird. The timer gets triggered by random things, like me creating a text file in home folder with nano, but it does not refresh on its own. Seems to be linked to any change on disk.

>rerarded

I think I get where he's coming from. A lot of people install Antergos or Manjaro and run around the interwebs asking all kinds of stupid questions about their 'Arch' install. You weren't doing that though so maybe that's not what he meant.

is Manjaro Linux any good? I used and loved Arch back in the day, but honestly now that I have a job I'm more lazy with my home computing and I just want something easy to install.

Thanks for the replies.
I decided to just make a back-up of the HDD and wipe it so that I re-configure it again with FDE. The FDE that's included in the Manjaro Linux Installer is good, right?

Hey anons i have some .aes files that i need to decrypt.
Problem is that i'm on arch and as i can see there is no aescrypt for arch.
What do i do?

Thanks

Guise... w-what's going on with Arch? It wanst me to remove nvidia-libgl.

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace nvidia-libgl with extra/nvidia-utils?

Ugh... wtf? Has anyone upgraded? I'm too afraid.

>Thanks.
>The file is named fonts.conf though.
>hastebin.com/wucudizeje.xml
>Any idea why does it behave like that?
>Also thanks for the conf file.

Don't change fonts.conf Make another text file in the same directory named local.conf and put your config there. It will look for local.conf first.

Read the top of fonts.conf:
>"DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE. IT WILL BE REPLACED WHEN FONTCONFIG IS UPDATED. LOCAL CHANGES BELONG IN 'local.conf'.

>"The intent of this standard configuration file is to be adequate for most environments."

Winkids can't even install gentoo and they have the nerve to call themselves intelligent.

Let me be clear here.
People who fight over "which
distro is best"
are in fact low tier sjw linux lovers.
Linux is operating system. You should
>install gentoo
or any other OS without any display manager or
desktop environment.
>Learn how to install softwares by comipiling them using gcc/g++
>Learn compilation pipeline
>Learn C/C++, shell script, make
>Learn to make X/wayland softwares of your own.
>Involve in open source development

Don't act and behave like poo in here.
These "which distro is best" arguments should be out of your radar.
>Hail Hitler

doing now

No, it's because arch is supposed to be aimed to people with some experience with linux and that know how to use a search engine to find solutions.
But bunch of people that install arch because they think it makes them some kind of expert or gives them some kind of cred and then they make questions that a 2 minutes search will answer.

show lspci output.
Why don't you want to use nvidia libGL?

create package from AUR

>>Learn how to install softwares by comipiling them using gcc/g++
>>Learn compilation pipeline
>>Learn C/C++, shell script, make
>>Learn to make X/wayland softwares of your own.
>>Involve in open source development
But I already know all these things.

>cyka

what is your opinion on SpiderOak?
What is your opinion on their apps?

that is not russian language

You need to take another look at aur

Then why do u care about which distros. They are all same linux with their devs having their own taste of desktop environment and package manager.

FUCK!!!! New Chromium has a FUCKED UP POINTER! It now does not respect your theme's pointer and uses whatever. It has that ugly hand pointer from Adwaita.

Who fucked it up? Google or package maintainer?

>doing now
d-did you survive user?

>show lspci output.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1070 6GB] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10f1 (rev a2)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03)

>Why don't you want to use nvidia libGL?
But I do! Pacman wants to remove it and replace it with nvidia-utils for some reason.

i dont have any problem, finished update and everything is fine

>d-did you survive user?
yes, everything is fine.

>d-did you survive user?
I think he is kill. Rip in peace, Russianon.

>Russianon
this is triggering me desu, im SERB :'(

kek

Just make sure your theme is set right and restart the browser dawg

also
>not using adwaita, the only one

You didn't die? Welcome back, Serbian friend. Great 2Pac quote you got there!

Is that gnome-terminal?
Which theme are you using?

as i said here Looks like i'm only person that never had problem with arch update

>Just make sure your theme is set right and restart the browser dawg
I've NEVER had this issue until today when I upgraded to new Chromium. In fact, all cursors inside Chromium are correct EXCEPT for that disgusting hand pointer from Adwaita.

>>not using adwaita, the only one
It's literally the fucking eye cancer. that hand pointer is ugly as fuck. I use el cap cursor theme myself. it's like a refined Adwaita without the ugly shit.

Please, help.

I need to compile CUDA. The latest compatible gcc is 5.3.1, but I can't install it. Apt-get doesn't recognize gcc-5=5.3.1 or anything like that. I've been trying to manually download .deb but I can't make it work too:
>Breaks existing package 'g++' dependency gcc (>= 4:6.1.1-1ubuntu2)

I going crazy already. How do I install an older version of gcc?

Ubuntu 16.10 / amd64

>kek
so.. what did you do user? Are you gonna hit that y?

I don't even know where to start explaining how retarded you are.

>apparently has been using Arch
>asking such a retarded question which common sense says he should know
>going from an upstream distribution, which he apparently "mastered", to a shitty downstream distribution

What a pretentious retard.

image related

Yeah. I ain't never scared. I've actually never had anything break from an update and I've been abusing this install for about 6 months. Really makes me think the Linux detractors here are legit shills.

i upadate every day and never had problem too
I rly dont know what are those retards doing to brake shit

If he creates packages for his stuff it's okay and it WILL get installed there by his package manager (assuming he defined it that way in the package).

If Adwaita is the one depicted in your picture, then that's exactly what I use. I really like it. It looks kind of like the OS X cursors without the autistic colors and all that.

>people with archlinuxfr repositories

Whenever I see someone complain about a problem and I see that, I just chuckle, tell them they're an idiot and give up.

Let's keep it friendly, but just for clearity:
I have been using Arch. If it would be common sense to ME, I wouldn't ask the question, would I? I also never mentioned that I mastered Arch. Why the fuck would I go to a downstream distrubition if I mastered it's father distro?

Reading is difficult if you're having a bad day, isn't it?

There are probably real paid Microsoft shills here constantly supporting the linux is bad narrative.

why do you want to uninstall nvidia's libGL.so??
Have vga controller provided by nvidia.

*Break

They probably install stuff from AUR without even reading the PKGBUILD or anything. Everytime my Arch broke (which doesn't happen that often), it was absolutely my fault.

These kind of Sup Forums post montages hurt my eyes.

Just upgraded... but not before making a snapshot.

Upgrade went OK. Nvidia drivers work after the change. I think it had something to do with breaking they cycle. See pic related.

>snapshot-on
What is this?

everything ok as i said
>i love when i see this low ram usage with chromium running

btw is it just me or firefox is even more shitty after last update?

>Whenever I see someone complain about a problem and I see that, I just chuckle, tell them they're an idiot and give up.

It's repo with a handful of french packages one of which is yaourt. You're a fucking moron dude. No problems happening here.

There's no reason to be this alarmed about it.
The package maintainers are not a bunch of monkeys who don't know what they're doing. If they want you to replace a package with another, it most probably means that the files from package 1 have been transferred to package 2, and there won't be any noticeable difference.

Know that mesa and nvidia are complimentary.
You can have one of them not both. meaning to say you have both but yours system should use one of them at a time.
can you run
glxgear and see that fps you are getting.
I get 125 fps with my laptop's integrated graphics unit.

Post background wallpaper pls

too big for Sup Forums
imgur.com/a7cPgUS

a e s t h e t i c

that's what she said

#include
#include
#include

int main(){
int c;
if( !(c = glfwInit()) ){
fprintf(stderr, "ERROR: could not start GLFW context\n");
return 1;
}
printf("%d \n", c);

GLFWwindow *window = glfwCreateWindow(640,480, "Hello Triangle", NULL, NULL);

if( window == NULL){
fprintf(stderr, "ERROR: could not create window\n");
glfwTerminate();
return 1;
}

glfwMakeContextCurrent(window);
glewExperimental = GL_TRUE;
glewInit();

const GLubyte *renderer = glGetString(GL_RENDERER);
const GLubyte *version = glGetString(GL_VERSION);

printf("Renderer %s \n", renderer);
printf("OpenGL version supported: %s \n", version);

glfwTerminate();
return 0;
}
$ gcc program.c -lGL -lglfw -lGLEW -lX11 -lXi
$ ./a.out

Can you run and check if opengl is working fine or not?
Output would be like this.

Renderer GeForce 710M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version supported: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26

In a shell script, is
$(< /path/to/file)

POSIX?

Are you too afraid to upgrade? You know you're gonna have to do it sooner or later, right?

Just use $(cat /path/to/file)

BASED SERBIAN user

They add 3rd party repositories. They install everything they can from the AUR and replace official repository packages.
Of course that's going to break things and then they come complaining "it doesn't work".

Hi, it's me, your cousin...

Having Yaourt installed is a symptom of idiocy.

>Can you run and check if opengl is working fine or not?
Just compiled it... after installing glfw.

$ ./a.out
Renderer GeForce GTX 1070 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version supported: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 378.13

Diff version from your driver...

Fuck outta here with your stupid shit

How the fuck can you stomach that hand pointer from Adwaita? It's literally just a bunch of huge-ass pixels stacked together to resemble a city skyline.

these are THE BEST looking cursors. period. all the lines and angles are pixel-perfect on it.

use aescrypt.com/download/v3/linux/AESCrypt-GUI-3.11-Linux-x86_64-Install
the one in the AUR is broken

I can't decide which DE/WM stick to, what desktops are you using, /fglt/?

How can you stand Mickey Mouse's gloves as a fucking cursor?

i3wm on desktop, GNOME3 on laptop.

xfce4
openbox
i3wm (ditched it quickly, came to realize i fucking hate tiling)

openbox would be goat if not for xml config.
A mix of openbox functionality with i3wm-style bash-like configuration of i3wm would be bretty fucking good.

Vanilla-DMZ cursors are the only neutral and elegant cursors you can get. Everything else is for children.

>How can you stand Mickey Mouse's gloves as a fucking cursor?
At least it looks like a hand and the pixel at the top of the index finger is actually the hot zone... unlike these Ubuntu-like abortions.

>white cursors
disgusting. leave that wintoddler shit behind you, user. grow up.

That's what I was looking for; but I prefer the dark variant (which is the same as Adwaita).

See There is a dark version of it and it looks good.

>openbox would be goat if not for xml config.

Why do you parrot other people's opinions? You're pathetic.
How much time do you spend editing its configuration file? Why do you edit it manually when there's an officially endorsed GUI program which enables you to edit 95% of all the available options?

The truth is you're a person who has nothing going on for them so you adopt other people's edgy opinions and parrot them to potentially clueless people hoping to appear smart and knowledgeable for having such bold opinions about "technology".

Adwaita is slightly different. Mainly the "loading" icon and I don't like Adwaita's.

I've been running Linux distros since 2003. The best distros in my opinion are:
Debian
Ubuntu
OpenSUSE
Arch

I'm partial to Ubuntu, OpenSUSE and Arch. Debian right now is fine because jessie is new but just wait until it starts getting old and it'll become a hassle. I use Debian on my VPS and home server, though.

Let me explain why I think these are the best distros. The only thing I care about are repos, the more packages repos has the better. I love AUR for Arch and OBS for OpenSUSE.

Between bleeding the most stable to the most bleeding edge it goes in this order:
Debian
Ubuntu
OpenSUSE
Arch

If you want stability go Debian or Ubuntu. If you want bleeding edge go OpenSUSE or Arch. Ubuntu isn't quite as stable as Debian but the packages are more up to date than Debian. OpenSUSE isn't quite as bleeding edge as Arch but more stable than Arch. If you want balls to the wall bleeding edge go with Arch. The only thing checking the stability of packages for Arch is their automated build system. OpenSUSE has the best installer hands down. I particularly like the installer they use for setting up encryption. With other distros I have to use the terminal to set up partition encryption correctly but the GUI installer for openSUSE lets you have a high degree of control for encryption. openSUSE is bleeding edge especially tumbleweed but it has more testing than Arch. openSUSE Leap 42.2 is slightly more bleeding edge than Ubuntu 16.10

What you're look at is your choices from stable to bleeding edge in this order:
Debian jessie (I would stick with stable for Debian which is the only reason to use it)
Ubuntu LTS
Ubuntu 16.10
openSUSE Leap
openSUSE tumbleweed
Arch

You can't go wrong with any of these. They are all for different purpose so you decide your purpose and pick one that's best for your purpose As a note I've heard good things about CentOS and Fedora but have never used them enough to know them well. So I can't comment on those.