I have an interview for a part-time position in IT-Support on Monday

I have an interview for a part-time position in IT-Support on Monday

What should I say to get the job?!

Job description:

>experience in setting up and operating devices
>knowledge of Windows 10 (lintoddlers BTFO)
>troubleshoot malfunctions
>first point of contact for IT requests
>documenting work for internal purposes

>What should I say to get the job?!

That job is monkey tier so just say whatever monkeys say.

Don't sound overqualified. That's a dead end job. They want someone that'll stick around for a few years without aspirations for doing something more rewarding.

Is this real IT support or is it some phone Desktop support job?

real IT support for a really good company - known world wide. Start Up'esque.

>>knowledge of Windows 10
Take a wild guess.

reminder: I have filtered all tripfags and made them invisible

Do not respond to the trip fag or i won't be able to see your reply. Thank you!!

they just listed it in the Job Description but they use macOS and Linux aswell of course.

They have a YT Channel and people are all young. Le meme tech music, happy faces. Typical liberals. Some people use Linux there - i could see it on their Laptops.

Lol don't talk yourself up kid. It's a shit job. Saying big company just means lower margins for your compensation. You have more managers to feed.

All hiring for these shit positions are the same. Just tell them you know enough to do what's in the job req, but you're too into videogames to do anything more with your life.

That bizarre considering the job description is very desktop specialized. Real IT goes a lot deeper than that

>projecting

Its just not the typical local IT company with a fat boss and an office full of cigarette smoking code monkeys in their 40's who are nostalgic about BASIC and PONG

Just wanted to make it clear.

>first point of contact for IT requests

Holy shit enjoy reading grannies and angry dads through the troubleshooting steps, and then redirecting them to more qualified personnel if the router was actually plugged in.

Cool it's a startup. So you'll be out of work in a year when their VC funding collapses.

Again, it's a dead end job.

>What should I say to get the job?!
All they'll give a shit about is experience and adaptability, hope you got some good support stories to spin for them user.

its for internal troubleshooting. Not customers. Like for example - when some employee has an issue with a company phone or laptop i have to fix it i guess.

tell them you know about wifi and ip config

sounds like something I did at university, part time IT tech support for my institute

there's not much to say I guess, just be honest when they ask questions

have you ever worked in tech support?

revenue is in the triple million digits though

no experience in tech support at all - but i obviously know how to set up systems, can fix phones of all kind (software related stuff).

I think they care more about how friendly you are and how well you can present yourself and fit into the company because you actually have to talk to the people who have problems face 2 face and be patient and shit.

I've moved around to different companies and landed IT support jobs in each one to tie me over. Always push that the client needs to be kept happy, sound qualified but when they ask about work ethic give them some shit about how there's no point in spending x amount of time on some cool error if it leaves the end user stranded.

Outside of having experience with whatever systems they use you need to push your agenda as being about the quality of service, I went that route when I moved to Canada and had competing job offers from a mining corporation and a decently sized MSP which is not too shabby for support monkey tier work

Lean bosses are even worse to feed, they eat as much as the fat ones, but blow further money on liposuction and Thai ladyboys.

As for the interview - doesn't sound like much of a challenge, they will demand punctuality, ability to follow instructions and some basic social awareness. Basically as long as you manage to hide the fact you're frequenting Sup Forums, it should be fine.

3mil is chump change man. I'd say you could use an offer from them to leverage a higher salary elsewhere, but the job position is easily replaceable anyway.

It's a shit job. Treat it as an internship. Do not stay there longer than 1 year.

>triple digit millions
>3 mil

To be fair "triple digit millions" sounds retarded. No one says that. Say "hundreds of millions"

But this type of shit you should say in your interview. Make sure they understand you're not incredibly sharp.

>but i obviously know how to set up systems, can fix phones of all kind (software related stuff).
you should be good then

>no experience in tech support at all
Oh yeah man, be sure to emphasize that in the interview. They love hearing that shit

they are aware of that already cause i never mentioned that i have experience in my application

It's how I landed my job as a dish washer. People with previous experience are tainted with preconceived notions on how to wash dishes.

>no experience in tech support at all
>It's how I landed my job as a dish washer
What did he mean by this?

You're just upset I'm making 6 figures to wash guacamole off of plates.

Please go to the interview and tell them you have no fucking experience at tech support. They will end the interview right there
You got a job as a dichwasher because they were probably glad they could teach you to wash dishes how they wanted them washed. Literally anyone can wash dishes
They aren't going to waste time teaching you how to do tech support, if you admit you've never done it before they have no business with you

I don't think that's OP sir.

yeah thats not me dumbass. Like i said They know i have no experience. How do think i got invited to an interview? Without applying or what?

Does this company provide B2B support or B2C support? If it is B2B then there's definitely potential depending on what the business aims to provide. On the otherhand, if it is solely B2C then only go for as long as necessary. It will be shit and absolutely dead end.

B2C is pretty much this

read the thread m8. Its internal support for the employees. Fixing qt girls work MacBooks and iPhones.

Sorry, was reading through a few other threads but thought I'd ask while it was on my mind.

It sounds like you'll effectively be the IT lapdog. If you don't have any other options then by all means go for it... and best of luck. Just don't stay there for longer than you really need unless any other opportunities come around whilst there. It'll be great if you can at least enjoy it, especially if experience/a foothold is your main reason for applying - if it is remotely enjoyable then it will make the time there much quicker.

Tech support really isn't difficult, particularlywhen working with individual devices like phones and laptops/workstations, with this if you can be as sociable and friendly/polite as possible then people tend to be somewhat more lenient. Especially if they have something that they can temporarily use in the meantime. With that being said, just don't take the piss.

If you're more involved with the infrastructure of the business or potentially having to mange anything along the lines of DR/other low-level areas, this is where you seriously can't afford to fob people off.

This

And ask about shit, always be asking about shit, not to say being an annoying fuckwit, but in IT people like it / don't mind when you ask questions. You know why? They've been in the exact same position.

And if you're not sure about doing something ask EVEN if it the most dumb asinine question ever. People would rather answer a question than having to face a site going down just because killed the dhcp server because you were told to change the names on the ip subnets but clicked something that killed it.

thanks. Its very high level. They won't let me near any functionality that could threaten the integrity of any website since its their core business lol.

Only thing that can get spicy is if i have to work with some Software Developers, Engineers cause they might be more knowledgable on the ins and outs on this shit but cba to do it themselves. That could be embarassing.

I dont have any problems working with these marketing sales fucks cause they dont know how to install Office

Okay, if you're not brain dead and remotely competent with technology then I can't see where you'd possibly fuck up.

As I mentioned earlier, if anything, the greatest thing that will dictate where you go in the company is your personality and general attitude - the way I see it is that with the work you're doing, there isn't anything there that provides any opportunity to particularly impress anyone.

The best thing for you to do whilst there (assuming you get the job...) is just to do what you're required and learn as much as you possibly can from the more senior positioned engineers and take what you can from that... assuming they're not pants-on-head retarded.

Do you know what kind of infrastructure that they have in place? Any applications of server usage like remote app or VDI would be a good area to get involved in... unless everything is based on the local systems?

Yeah im not all too worried about actually not being able to do the work. Just the interview in general.

In general or career wise i dont really care too much about actually getting into IT Support related shit. Its not really who i am. I just want to get in there to get to know people. They offer learning opportunities. I'd love to get into some mixture of tech related shit and business - somewhere in between.

So yeah i'd use it mostly to get to know them - maybe impress by being a nice person to work with, foster my skills in any related area while im there (its just part time) and then ask for more later down the road. I can also network there and potentially get to know people that leave the company (i assume they have relative low retention as a meme tech liberal start up) and get into other shit in the future.

Your day-to-day will consist of fixing problems with printers and installing software for people.

Well I don't know what you're planning for the long term... assuming you want to do something along the lines of pre-sales or 'consultancy' (buzzword, I know) then realistically you'll need to work in something like support. It is one of the few places where you'll get to learn such a wide area of relevant skills and come out of it knowing what you're actually talking about... hopefully.

Now I'm just making assumptions though so I think we've said what we can to help.

In short, this. Don't underestimate printers though. Christ alive they're annoying... mainly because they're just more hassle than they're worth.

>the 'employers care that you're on Sup Forums' meme
when will it end?

t. NEET