/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/laptops/#facet-1=1,2,3,4&facet-3=10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the name of that rare ThinkPad again?

Thinkopad

x200 vs T61?

X200s! I'd never change that little guy for anything.

X201s, W701ds? There are few "rare" ones

s70?

anyone had succes putting a 1366x768 bios splash logo on their thinkpad? im on an x230 and i cant seem to do it right

how good is the x200 temperature in general with a good thermal paste and clean fans?

x200s with Manjaro = 50C with wi-fi on and open browser, raising up to 65C when under heavy load.

the maximum size for the logo is 640x480, read the fucking readme

the readme clearly says that there are two max resutions. 640×480 is the max resolution for legacy compatibility enabled you stupid fuck. Im talking about using the 1366x768 one with os optimized defaults enabled

outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/laptops/#facet-1=1,2,3,4&facet-3=10

T450p

my thinkpad x200t display has a crack in it but the pen sensor is completely fine
do i just buy a regular x200 screen and replace it? isn't the pen sensor thing like a different part of the display or something

Is the x220 a meme? I need something for school

Is Acer good? I live in a 3rd world shithole so I don't have money to buy a ThinkPad.

No, it just werks and it's cheap as fuck. I'd get something newer like an X230 if you're not completely broke though.

a good meme

God no. There are literally no worth while acer laptops.

boomp

get a T61

x230 on the way lads

>uefi

found your problem

Anybody have Optimus and running linux? How do you get audio through DP to HDMI connection with nouveau?

Ive never been able to get the DP port to work with proprietary drivers on my T420 but I tried a fresh install of Fedora 25 and I was able to get an external display to work out of the box however I don't have any audio...

Why does ebay dealer message me in all caps like a retarded fucker?

why is that a problem?

because he is
back out now

x200 on the way, not only first /tp/, but first notebook ever. also, what is dockstation good for? it comes with the x200
>tfw it will arive in ~13 days ;_;

Just got another t430. This time with Intel only chip thankfully

And 1600x900 instead of the lower res.

post pics, temps, battery life, penis size.

How bad is it to run my X230t at 90 degree temps for an extended period of time?

Pic kind of related.

looked at the guide and ordered my dad a T420s with 1600x900, i5-2540M 128gb ssd, 8gb ram at 230€. did I do good Sup Forums?

was either that or a new E31-70 at double the price.

see, after a while of using macOS sierra on the X220 I'm pretty happy with it, but for a moment there it kinda sacred me. I installed xcode on this shit and while it was installing, the temps ramped up to 90C. It never happened again but god damn.

scared not sacred.

>cpu 50 degrees
>gpu 50 degrees
>mobo 115 degrees

I didn't know they sold PCI radiators

I see a Windows 8 logo sticker there.

Isn't this designed to work better on Windows 7?

Which thinkpad is best for unity?

My old x301 is just too weak, in terms of cpu, GPU and ram, but I really love it. I think it's not worth upgrading any more. Price isn't really a problem- I want a laptop with the exact same or very similar keyboard, 900-1080p screen (I prefer ips but don't really care), and a decent gpu (something as good as Intel 520?) Is it possible to get something with these? X or T are both fine.

The question is if I need it though
The only Games I play are on emulators and where I live I could get something like the Surface 2 + Keyboard for cheaper

Should all of the different processors for the T40 be interchangeable, like if I have a 1.4 and I find a 1.6 should it work just fine?

this one?

so are the yogas memes or not?

does anybody have a lenovo y50-70? I am looking around for a used laptop and found one for 500$$, 4710 i7, 512 ssd, 16gb ddr3... how is the touchpad??? i am learning program(like I am to the point where I am thinking about what I need to do to get ready to get a job) and my POS hp pavillion is not cutting it I just want it to run linux & an IDE very well and then just browse the internet and preferably not have to upgrade for 2+ years for those purposes.

So, I've got an x220 tablet that's getting a little too dated and worn for my liking (fairly slow in things like photoshop and things alike), a 1366x768 display is abysmal to use as a drawing tablet, and I'm wanting to replace it with something newer, but still want the pen enabled display, as I love drawing and doing GD on it.
Now, being a college student, I don't have a ton of money, but I can pull a bit over $400 for a device.

>How does /tpg/ feel about the Thinkpad Yoga S1?
On ebay, one with a i5 4300u and 8gb of ram goes for just over $400 and it looks decent for the price, is there anything to look out for?
Known issues, or just bad things about it?
On some review sites, they're really knocking hard for the lack of ports and bad speakers, but if those are the 2 real issues, I don't feel that's enough to warrant a 3.5-5 star device in some reviews.

I remember asking a while ago, and people would only recommend the thinkpad yoga 14 with dedicated graphics and no pen-enabled display for, like, $200 more than what my budget would allow. Dedicated graphics would be nice, but HD 4400 graphics are enough for what I need, and the pen-enabled display is more than worth it for what I'm doing.

popping my cherry with an x201, what am i in for bois

I was in the same boat as you before, I went from x220 to a macbrook pro retina because I fucking hated the x220 screen so I just have it on a dock connected to a monitor via displayport

What's a very light linux distro for an x61t? I'm not happy with Ubuntu, it's slow

Is there really any reason to get a T520 over a T510? Is the battery life different or something?

That sticky is in need of a serious remake.
The price of a *20 series laptop + a usb3.0 pcmcia adaptator (you really want one) isn't that far from a *30 series.
Yes, the keyboard is different but most people prefer the chicklet type over the island type.

install xfce, that's all.

ThinkPad newfriend here, only used a x300. I want to try a t420 I think. How rare is it to find one with 900p, and the 4200m nvidia GPU? Am i going to have trouble upgrading the ram, SSD or CPU? Is the CPU easy to upgrade/ buy on its own or should I just look for a max spec one?Idgaf about price.

Incremental performance increase in CPU (10-15%) much better gpu
Beyond that no.

Is the t430 the thinkpad to get? I would like to modify it with the old keyboard and a nice monitor. I just want to shitpost and run some emulators up to the PSX/N64 era.

T430 with t430 keyboard=dogshit
T430 with t420 keyboard=one of the best ThinkPads made by Lenovo

How old is the mod to do? I am pretty comfortable working on laptops. I've replaced the thermal paste on my macbook pro, replaced wifi chip, etc.

Do you really have to modify the pins to prevent "the keyboard from overheating and dying" or is that bullshit?

Only thing stopping me from switching, I HATE the chiclets

S30?

Just stick with the 20s. Performance increase is barely worth it.

Can I replace a t430 keyboard with one from a x301?

>and the 4200m nvidia GPU
don't
>Am i going to have trouble upgrading the ram, SSD or CPU?
no
>Is the CPU easy to upgrade/ buy on its own
yes

Been screwing around with eGPU for a while now.
Anyone else notice it fucks with the wLAN soeeds or is that just me?

What's wrong with that GPU? I was going to play some light gaymes. I want similar GPU performance, but I don't want anything newer than a t430.

bumping my question

Barely better than the iGPU, consumes extra power and shares the heatsink with the CPU thus increasing heat which is a downside if you plan on upgrading the processor in the future.

It isn't much better than the hd3000 and it causes all kinds of problems if you use linux

Fug. Should I try a 430 with dgpu then? I just want performance similar to a 520m that won't have problems on Linux.

The HD4000 in Ivy Bridge CPUs is a decent bit better than the 4200m as it is, and the fact that it's intel and justwerks on linux is a bonus. If you want higher end graphics performance then a W series or dGPU are your best options, but otherwise a T430 will be very adequate.

Old dgpu are useless, just stick to intel. The ivy bridge gpu is good enough.

what software should I use on linux to get the fingerprint scanner on my thinkpad to work? fprint, fingerprint-gui or thinkfinger?

thanks for the help guys
the most gpu intensive thing I'd do is occasionally play indie games and half life, good to know I don't need nvidia. I might get a t430 then, but I'm not a fan of chiclet keyboards. Is the t430 chiclet almost as good as t420,or is it macbook tier cancer?

The key layout is the main problem not the chiclet keys, it sucks dicks compared to the t420 and earlier layout.

The only downside is key layout - just rebind some of the harder to reach keys to key combinations or over fn combos you don't use. Hell, it's worth doing on classic keyboards anyway just so you can have it so your hands never need to leave the middle of the keyboard.

>no blue enter key
into the trash it goes

yeah I preferred the old layout... Is the kb that hard to replace? I'm not great with computer hardware. i built a pc but am clueless beyond that- will I find replacing it hard/fuck up my laptop if I do try to replace it? Will the final result after the bios reflash have all keys do their marked function?

The replacement is just a case of putting tape over some pins and reflashing, and yeah all but some fairly useless keys end up working. But while you'll certainly have the option of doing the swap, I'd recommend that you just use the chicklet keyboard for a few weeks before you go trying to fuck with it, too many people in this thread just endless bitch about it without ever giving it a go. If anything I find the old keyboard worse since I have to do shit like moving both my arms just to use the media controls - lenovo's changes aren't as unintuitive as they seem at first.

thinkpad x260 vs macbook pro 13inch keyboard?

material quality is important, please serious answers

#include

main(){
return 0;
}

The Gookpad has gone so far in the wrong direction since acquisition. It's not even funny at this point what a piece of shit it has become.

even the ISS dropped the Shitpad

they had a winning formula
all they needed were proper batteries and screens options

yet those gooks had to fuck everything up and now the Thinkpad line is closer to a macbook clone than anything else

The days of swappable batteries, easily accessible components are close to being over with each new generation and really all we're getting is another thin meme shittop made to last only the average period until it gets offleased

It's sad what the brand has become instead. It lost the core of its character and replaced the personality with a macbook wanabe. There are a million different lines now that are practically consumer tier shit with a Thinkpad logo for example. The gooks have no engineering pride. It's in their blood to mindlessly copy the what is perceived superior product. It seems they can not imagine a market where there are two different types of consumers with different needs. This is evidenced in pretty much anything they make.

ok fellas. finally busted my old gifted MacBook and want to get something a little more powerful & durable. just for small programming projects and browsing.

what's your favorite model for under $200?

None
fingerprint scanners are a meme

Unless your MacBook is older than 2009 you won't see better performance from most of the Thinkpads discussed here, and newer Thinkpads only enjoy negligible performance gain.

yeah dude those execs are so dumb rah rah rah

rate my desktop

you mean this one?

5 years on, my X131e is still going strong.
Turns out that buying a borderline-toughbook meant to be thrashed by careless children was a great idea.

X220/X230/T420/T430 if you want something cheap and solid and don't need anything special out of it.

I'm no expert on macbook models but I've seen some have some horrific trouble with thermal throttling, so maybe there are gains to be had, though they can be had with pretty much any reasonable laptop.

What point is there in posting Edge models as examples of Lenovo's shittiness? They're shit and cheap by design, and if anything they're reasonably solid and comfy by poverty-tier laptop standards.

Are there any good looking thinkpad? I don't want to scare off girls

hows this? that SSD will fit right?

>giving a shit about 3d whores
lmao

>being so insecure you think girls will be put off by your laptop
I'd be more worried about it being you personally that scares them off desu senpai.

Yeah. That product description is saying it comes with no caddy right? You'll need to order one separately if that's the case.

get one with 8GB ram

would this work then? sorry I'm on mobile seeing as how my laptop died