/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/F348Cy
pcpartpicker.com/list/vXZbr7
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Experiments_Lain#Apple_computers
pcpartpicker.com/list/6kqqQV
ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i3-7350K-Kaby-Lake-4-2GHz-LGA-1151-Boxed-Processor-22-/282391563584?hash=item41bfd94d40:g:POwAAOSw4A5YxBHt
pcpartpicker.com/list/pTPDKZ
youtube.com/watch?v=O3th4sBnuS0
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700/2384vs3887
youtube.com/watch?v=oMNFoNtKCR8
pcpartpicker.com/list/CgffGf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Making a new thread while the old one is still up

>being autistic

The old one had hit the bump limit

Hes too autistic to understand that concept

Any recommended M.2 SSDs? Are they worth the slight premium over a normal SATA SSD?

This is my build (added a Crucial M.2 SSD I'm looking at):
pcpartpicker.com/list/F348Cy

My board supports M.2 natively. I've never dealt with M.2 drives before, but from my research they're significantly faster than SATA SSDs.

How long ago did you buy all this shit

btw samsung 960 evos are the best m.2 drives

If you really have a need for speed (nice meme), you might as well go with an NVMe PCIE SSD

throughout years (about 2)
it's my current build

thx senpai

eh my GPU takes up the pcie space and besides, the motherboard is M.2 compatible so why not

pcpartpicker.com/list/vXZbr7
>good deals halved total price; paid about $500

Are you trolling?

Must be a joke build

>Building
You retards ain't building shit. You're just assembling gayming machines from cheapest chink garbage you can buy with the monthly allowance from your parents.

PS: Lain was a Mac user.

REEEEEEEEEEEE WHY DOES JEWTEL LIKE TO ANGER ME SO MUCH
>i7-6700K perfect for my needs except for one thing
>BEST RAM IT CAN RUN IS 2133
>i7-7700K is too overpowered for my needs but can run gud RAM
Should I be cockblocked by low RAM speeds or by high prices Sup Forums?

Overclock your RAM, just turn RAM profile to XMP. It may take some more voltage depending on your speed but it's generally pretty easy.

Lain was a linux user

fucking retard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Experiments_Lain#Apple_computers

That's not how it works.

The RAM runs at 2133mhz by default. You overclock it to get higher speeds. 3200mhz DDR4 is the exact same as 2133mhz DDR4, except the 3200mhz stuff is binned to be able to overclock to at least 3200mhz.

Get the 6700k and buy whatever RAM you want. Just go into BIOS and enable the XMP profile. It's a preset overclocking profile that will give you the advertised speed on your RAM.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6kqqQV
any tips?

remov this

stop being poor

What? The CPU specs says it can handle up to DDR4 2133 memory

I have a GTX 970 and an i5 4690k. looking to do an upgrade soon.

im guessing it makes more sense to get a CPU first, and then a GPU 6 months down the line? (not buying both same time)

the 1080 looks like a solid card to keep for a few years, but how much power do i need to power that beast?

Use El Goog and just fucking look up psu calculator

thats the minimum you retard.

CPU determines default RAM speed, your motherboard determines maximum speed. Skylake supports 2133, Kaby Lake supports 2400, but you can overclock higher.

>upgrade from a GTX 970
Honest question that isn't related to this post, what exactly requires a card higher than 970 to play at 1080p these days?

im getting into VR soon

Is zotac a good brand?

Best value card for 1080p? My old gpu just died.

So I'll be trying to buid a quiet computer. So met me confirm my methodology with you guys.
Please give me some tips if I have forgotten anything.

>Choose quiet internal components
Biggest CPU and GPU coolers I can find. Not water cooled to avoid pump noise.
Only SSDs in the computer, HDDs on network storage.
PSUs with a higher 80+ rating produce less heat and will require less cooling. Try to get one that only uses it's fan as needed.

>Use software to controll fans
Off when unnnecesary, spin up as appropriate

>Quiet case
I don't know the criteria very well, so I will probably just get something that is popular. Like a Define R5.

hand-me-down server from my old job. Plan on using it as a media server (kodi) and for storing backups. 8tb on a raid 6. I'm also re purposing 2 2tb wd reds on a raid 1 for critical backups.

Also plan to reinstall OS with Windows Server 2016 to play with AD, Window Containers, etc.

roast me Sup Forums

inb4 [insert your fav flavor of linix]

>quiet computer
attach a CPU cooler to the GPU
don't mount the fans directly onto the heatsinks
wow u done it

What are viable motherboard companies right now? Still just best to stick with Asus, or what?

Totally not a scam guis
ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i3-7350K-Kaby-Lake-4-2GHz-LGA-1151-Boxed-Processor-22-/282391563584?hash=item41bfd94d40:g:POwAAOSw4A5YxBHt

I wonder if they're stolen.

It's a stolen account retard, third worlders crack the accounts, use them to sell bogus shit at low prices and then they run off with the money
>b-but muh refunds

>then they run off with the money
How could they with how locked down paypal is? Unless they get the stupid fucks to pay by another way.

Upgrading from a 650, which is worth it, a GTX 1060 or 1070?

if you can afford a 1070 get it if you can't get a 1060
all motherboard companies are "viable", if you've had good experiences with Asus then stick with them. I use Gigabyte boards personally.
480 or if you don't like amd then a 1060
zotac are just okay

What are decent quality but still cheap monitors to use in conjunction with one another? Probably 25 inches or above. I'm fairly tall and I have a poorfag desk so it would be nice to be able to adjust the tilt of the screen.

>paypal
>locked down
oh no a 20 day delay in getting your money

id say 1070, or an RX480 8gb

Holy fuck.. I have the non edited version of that image. And I mean I've kept it for at least 20 plus years. Never seen it elsewhere, don't know where it's from or where I got it.

RX 480

pcpartpicker.com/list/pTPDKZ
R a t e my build
a
t
e

Hello Sup Forumsuys. I really dislike alot of you and your close minded shitty advice most of the time but I love the stary eyed kid about to order his first parts list

so uh I wanted to sell my 6600k for a 7700k because I have a specific use case and need the best possible single threaded performance and the 4.7 -> 5.1ghz upgrade would have been worth

but the 6600k is dirt fucking cheap on ebay. you can use z270 boards too so that's cool. good value for a build.

Well, you going to post it?

You should ask the starry eyed kid for advice. Everyone else thinks you're a fuckhead now.

yeah same boat, i needed single thread above all. i went the 7700 route, run at 4.7 for now. very snappy.

what a tragedy

Why is it so hard to reliably hit 120fps 1080p stable
I keep upgrading and i can't do it

stop "upgrading" and get 4xsli 1080tis poorfag

I bet you if I had SLI 1080ti's and a 6950x/1800x with quad channel ddr4 4266, raid0 nvme storage, and 1ms ping I would go below 120fps in my game

Just for reference, which game is it?

youre gonna laugh at me tho :(

Maybe you are doing something wrong, and we might be able to help.
This is an anonymous imageboard and you have nothing to lose posting the name.

It's world of warcraft. It's beyond frustrating really. The game is very large but it comes down to 4 distinct "modes" in generic terms.
Old open world: Really like the first 3 or 4 expansions, no problem, always a million FPS.
New open world: Graphically very demanding. Dip below 60fps on a 1060 6g @2170/2500mhz Delidded [email protected] and ddr4 3600 c15 with 7/10 settings.
City: The worst. Constantly l;ow and spikey fps never above 80. It's the player density.
Dungeon: No problems, 160ish fps.

I need to do testing. How ram frequency affects fps. Need a ryzen to test thread scaling. GPU to CPU balance etc.

It's the only game I've played in the last 10 years.

>It's the only game I've played in the last 10 years
Jeez dude, I'm not laughing, I'm deeply saddened.
Your gpu is the bottleneck. But is it worth spending whatever it will be in your home country for a 1080 just for WoW?

Yes I need 120fps minimums. The problem is I'm not convinced it actually is the GPU. I feel strongly that if I order a 1080 right now my city FPS wont increase at all. Trivial area fps will go up. It's something with new content/textures that's taxing a certain part of the system and I cannot find what it is. CPU usage 40% across 4 threads, gpu usuage low when fps is low. My ram bandwidth should be good I have a top tier kit but maybe quad channel will help

Your city FPS wont increase no matter what, that's the fault of both the engine and outdated coding practices.

what this man said
youtube.com/watch?v=O3th4sBnuS0
The draw call code is beyond terrible and is not solveable in the slightest unless you possibly get one of those modern single Xeon's that you could overclock to 6.0GHz

Nier Automata recommends a 980
Hopefully it'll look better than the PS4 trash

What GPU should be paired with a G4560?

is 6700K/1070 a good combo for 1440p gaming? Emulation also.

R7 250X for $75, according to Logical Increments site.

dumb question
yes
just get a good noctua cooler with that and oc to 5ghz

There is "emulation also" on that post. Would this be a job for that 7K something?

are you retarded or baiting

I've checked pretty much all benchmarks and info available for both, but even weeks after I started looking into building myself a new computer I'm still lost on what to finally decide on. Worth saying I have no interest in overclocking and already decided on getting 2400mhz RAM.

>i7-7700 + B250 = 405€~
>i7-7700K + Z270 + Custom Cooler = 510€~

Positive points for going with the 7700 :
>I can save 100€ (more depending on whether I end up buying an expensive cooler or not - above is 30€ cooler).
>It might run cooler and consume less power.

Positive points for going with the 7700K :
>Noticeably more powerful than the 7700 even without OC.
>Less chance of regretting it due to being the best and possibility of overclocking in 4-5 years down the road if needed.

I have a feeling the problem might be psychological, with me wanting the best possible hardware I can get no matter what even if I do not even get the best use out of it. It's true when looking at statistics the 7700K is constantly noticeably ahead but... wouldn't a 7700 work as well for anything I plan on doing in the end? Perhaps the 7700 might serve me very well without any problem whatsoever for the next 4-5 years and going with the K version would be a waste of money. Though so far from what I've seen the 7700 might be as powerful as an i7-4790K which might be laughable since it's 3-4 years old :
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700/2384vs3887
but I don't know if that particular link is worth a lot or not.

Please help me decide.

>Worth saying I have no interest in overclocking

Why not? It's easy.

I don't need 5ghz to emulate gamecube games or play pixel games. Hell even games as of now don't need that much ghz.

Are you people just overclocking just to milk yourselves over or what?

>and oc to 5ghz
Why the fuck are you OCing a 7700K that came out two months ago? What for? I'm genuinely curious.

hey Sup Forums I'm going to upgrade my GPU. I've found a sapphire RX 470 nitro+ 8GB and a sapphire RX 480 nitro 4GB. Both of them cost exactly the same so which one should I get?

>Are you people just overclocking just to milk yourselves over or what?

I overclock because I want to get every ounce of performance I can get out of the hardware I buy. Why would I buy a CPU and not take advantage of its full potential?

Frankly you sound like a bit of a fucking retard.

The 7700k's max turbo speed is 4.5ghz. The 7700's is 4.2ghz. The 7600k's is 4.2ghz as well, while the 7600's is 4.1ghz. Unless you need hyper threading there is no point in buying the locked i7 (or frankly the i7 at all). Clock-for-clock these CPUs are the same, other than the i7's hyper threading, the performance difference between the 7700 and 7600 is 100mhz and the price difference is around $80.

This is why I think you're a retard. You seem incredibly concerned about the 300mhz difference between the 7700 and the 7700k, yet you apparently cannot fathom why someone would overclock their brand new CPU for a performance increase even greater than that.

But aren't 8GB's more future proof?

You're forgetting that the 470 is LESS future proof. It's a wash.

youtube.com/watch?v=oMNFoNtKCR8

Reminder: ryzen sucks at gaming.

But from what I've seen, the 470 is really close to the 480 in terms of performance. With a bit of overclocking couldn't the 470 potentially get the same performance as the 480?

Yes.

>i5-7600
>16GB DDR-2133
>R9 280X 3GB (transferring from old machine)
>mITX so would like to keep CPU TDP at 65W

I do a lot of gaymen but also EDA, Solidworks and photo editing.

7600 ok, or should I get an i7 or R7, or wait for R5 1600X???

I actually can't tell if this is being ironic considering it's on Sup Forums.

How deep are your pockets? Personally I would wait and see how the lower core count ryzen chips play out as they are likely to be fantastic value for money.

Gonna make a new esports machine b/c of the 240hz memes coming out this year.

Anyone wanna help me out with a build that can hit 240fps in league/overwatch? I don't care if I have to lower settings, but the least amount of settings I'd have to lower the better.

Budget- $700 USD
Country- USA

I7 7700k or i7 6700k

if you're buying all new shit, get the 7700k.

its not worth upgrading from 6700k to the 7700k tho

The 7700k is just a more power efficient 6700k. If you can afford the 7700k you might as well go for that

I recently had to RMA my PSU and mobo. When they came back I was able to boot into >Windows successfully except that 1 of 2 sticks of RAM weren't detected.

The next day the computer won't POST. I tried all different RAM seating possibilities but nothing. Any suggestions?

Build - pcpartpicker.com/list/CgffGf

Not very. I wanted to spend 300 bong or less on the CPU, so R7 1700 is stretching it. I was originally planning to wait for the R5 1600X and the accompanying mITX board but since it might take a while, I decided to ring up the i5-7600. It looked tempting at 200 bong. That said, the R5 seems like it'll be more suitable for all the odd jobs.

Also, I didn't stay pure for AMD-senpai just to buy Intel in the end (FX-8350 for four years and counting).

Given the relative low cost the remaining ryzen chips are likely to come in at (I would guess the 4c/8t models to be around £150 and the 6 core to be £220ish) it really is worth waiting in my opinion compared to just getting the i5 now.

Clear CMOS.

Is 6700k worth?
Fags say that i5 is enough but now I don't even know.
Wont do much work, mostly gaming.

A full build, from the ground up? Can't do it with 700 desu. Probably looking at a 480 or a 1060, maybe a 1050ti will hit 240fps in league but probably not overwatch.

>64mb is all you ever need

Overclocking will narrow the gap between the 6600k and 6700k. The primary advantage of the i7 is hyperthreading, which games don't really take advantage of. It's definitely not worth the price premium.

I was in this thread a couple of days ago asking for help with my new pc. Turned out i had no screen because the ram which according to the manual needed slots 2 and4, needed to be in slots 3 and 4 to work. I know. Random as fuck. Anyway thanks for helpimg me out anons, i love you all. Have an Ahri.

ahri is a true patrician's waifu.

>recommending i5
>calling others retards

what's wrong with an i5 faggot