Install Linux, coming from Windows 10

>install Linux, coming from Windows 10
>boot is slower than Windows 10
>opening programs is slower than Windows 10
>webpages load more slowly
>scrolling in heavy websites is laggy
>resuming from sleep is at least 3x slower
Whoa... So this is the power of Linux. Seriously, where does the "linux is faster" meme come from?

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/227939/how-to-make-the-pc-speaker-beep-from-the-windows-7-command-prompt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you got memed.

Nope: The Post

>linux in the current year

i dont know how you can fuck up an install of linux this badly

linux is the best man its like just the freakin best

On my laptop it's the other way around. The only thing windows does better is that it drains way less power than my ubuntu 14.04 install.

What distro did you get?

haha epic post my man

have dell intel celery from '02
>>install xp, laggy as fuck
>>install slitaz, everything is fast

you're doing it wrong

Ubuntu 16.10, also tried Arch.

>boot is slower than Windows 10
Stopped here.

You should give up, reinstall windows 10, never use linux again. Also don't try to work in technology, it is also a meme and there are no jobs.

You're so smart user.

What sort of computer? On my laptop I once fucked up grub so it took four times longer to boot because it decided to draw the menu slow as fuck every time, does it do that for you too? When done right it takes around 10-12 secs for me before it's good to go (well, until it decided to be a massive bitch and only boot when it felt like it because I bought lenovo, but that's beside the point since it happens before the OS is loaded)

Wtf i hate Linux OS now

>Seriously, where does the "linux is faster" meme come from?

people that never used windows 10.

OP here, my main theory is that Windows heavy caches frequently used programs and files in RAM (I have 12 GB of RAM so there's plenty of room for that) in a way Linux doesn't do (despite it's a thing all modern OSes do, or should do). Windows feels very, very snappy on this machine to be honest, despite the fact it's a shitty 600€ Lenovo laptop with a 5200rpm hard disk. Also the laggy scrolling could be a thing of the graphics drivers.

Not wanting to start a shitty OS war thread, but Linux was significantly slower than W10 for me. I haven't deleted the Linux partition but I don't see myself switching full time anytime soon.

most people that work in tech use osx.

W7 is much faster than 10.

Linux is a bad kernel and GNU is a bad userland.

Everything is pretty much instant here.

W7 is faster than every Linux distro but it's still slower than W10.

wot

The ext4 is faster than ntfs, so it doesn't make any sense.
>>webpages load more slowly
>>scrolling in heavy websites is laggy
If you used chrome, the gpu acceleration can slow it down to oblivion if the driver isn't supported.

>W7 is faster than every Linux distro
Prove your claim.

I blame neo-Sup Forums for this idiotism.

>Ruby on rails.
>Visual Studio.
>Hello world.rb
>W10 is better.
Get cancer and die

most faggots that work in tech use osx
FTFY

Pence should solve this.

I use Visual Studio at my job and I want to learn Ruby on Rails. And yes, Linux is slower for me. Care to explain the problem, NEET?

If you want to learn RoR you are already a retard, dont need to explain anything ,Carlos

Ruby on rails is not worth learning at this point unless you work, or plan to work, at one of the orgs that got memed into it and now can't afford to move away.

I would honestly recommend node.js before ror, at least node.js is still in full meme mode and appearing in places it absolutely should not.

linux is for redditors

Whatever NEET ;)

Just doing it for leisure, not planning to work with it. I recently discovered Ruby and I liked it.

No. Windows 7 is the fastest.

Yeah Win10 shitting the bed with registry bloat and ntfs fragmentation diarrhea is the optimal solution
You seriously think a modern OS doesn't have proper paging in 2017?
>stupid wetback
tienes que volver atras

whenever i click the start menu in w10 there is like half a second of delay before it actually shows up. it drives me nuts

w10 sucks desu
the touch-like gui is awful as well

You really would do that?
Go and tell lies on the internet?

Funny, it's the reverse for me. Ubuntu 16.10 is boatloads faster than 10, arch even more so, it was FreeBSD the slowest on desktop out of em all strangely

t. manbabby

>I don't know shit about operating systems
Windows 10 is still faster ;)

Call me back when Linux implements basic desktop OS facilities like SuperFetch or the OS X equivalent.

The only case when Linux is "faster" is when you use a 100 kb minimalistic WM. Linux is a server OS unoptimized for desktop usage.

The linux desktop is an oxymoron. Linux was never even meant to have a GUI. It's meant for server farms and super computers. The linux desktop will always fail. The desperate attempt to make linux for normal users is fruitless.

Call me back when Wangdos doesn't shit itself and BSODs for basic tasks like searching through the filesystem

Don't you have a street to shit in?

>mfw debian boots in 15 seconds on one of my p4 shitboxes

>doesn't know anything about memory or operating systems
>desktop features matter
Found the Sup Forums manchild.
You need to go back.
Yeah no. The largest DE (KDE Plasma) is still miles faster than Windows.
"No"
Linux just works. Unlike Windows where you have to download 30 drivers just to have a working resolution.
>muh gaymes
No one cares you manchild.

Where the fuck in my post did I mention games you fucking twat?

That's the only thing Linux doesn't have over Windows on the desktop.
Saying the Linux desktop is an oxymoron implies being a gayming manbabby.
Based on how triggered you sound I'd say I was right anyways.

You're a fucking moron. If anything my post implies that I hate normies who use windows and desktops in general because I'd rather work on server-ride shit. Kill yourself you autistic fucking cunt.

>being this butt mad
You are most definitely either a normie or an adult child

You decided what you wanted to say before reading post. You read the first statement "linux desktop is an oxymoron" and started happily sperging about about how gay video games are, without realizing that my post had nothing to fucking do with video games in the first place. Kill yourself.

>Windows 7 is faster than every distro
nope.jpg
>it's still slower than W10
NOPE.jpg

>nope.jpg
>NOPE.jpg
Dumbass.

Ok, where can I call you?

where the arch tards with 4 seconds boot?
post'em

>death grips

SUBATOMIC! PENENTRATION! RAPID! FIRE! THROUGH! YOUR! SKUUUUUUUULLL!

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Linux is for hipsters because they want to avoid being mainstream with no games or good software.

Windows 10 takes full advantage of modern hardware to cache everything, and the entire UI is hardware accelerated. Linux is slow as fuck because it's still basically stuck in the mid-90's.in terms of how it treats hardware.

openSUSE boots very slow. But this isn't a problem since you should only shut down your PC for updates.

OP: Linux should boot faster than windows, make sure you dont let Win 10 trick boot but do a full cold boot or also let linux unsuspend from RAM or SSD.

No, Linux is ahead on most hardware.

Which is why big enterprises use it to throw around a hundred thousand containerized VM instances of it and stuff like that.

That has nothing to do with how a desktop user experiences Linux.

My untweaked Linux takes 5.61s kernel + 4.79s userspace. Cold boot, of course. And it does start a bunch of extra things.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
superuser.com/questions/227939/how-to-make-the-pc-speaker-beep-from-the-windows-7-command-prompt

>windows
>user friendly

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Surprise surprise, most desktop users are retarded.

Why are there so fucking many Linux distributions? They're already strained for resources, combining all their efforts into making one or two Linux distributions would result in Linux being a lot more polished and usable.

It doesn't?

If you are using W10's hiberboot, then you might as well do the same on Linux.

not really

>I hate choices, the should be only one option available
Thank you for your input shlomo.

If you concentrate resources, you can have a shitty Windows botnet of slowness or no features OSX!

No thanks, these already are enough if you want THAT.

They're all the fucking same.

>I once fucked up grub
"I once fucked up the boot loader" and that's all anyone needs to know about desktop Linux. Pathetic shit that would never happen on Windows or Mac happens.

Not for your.
Go back to microsoft
Linux is not "general purpose" operating system.

You know that I can delete registry files too, right?

Thanks for the daily reminder that Sup Forums has invaded this board.

>largest DE (KDE Plasma) is still miles faster than Windows.
It really isn't. Please use a trip so I can discard all your opinions from now on as you keep posting lies.

This is pretty accurate imho.

Because Linus never told them to settle on a GUI or implement a non crap software management system

>Oy vey goy, all the races are the same. There shouldn't be a choice.

Linux is so fast on the desktop that Wayland is unneeded, right Linuxtards?

It's 2017. unless you're intentionally installing shitty software from 10 years ago, you'll never need to touch the registry. However adjusting a configuration file in Linux is practically gaurenteed and a million times easier to screw up.

windows 10 is slow as fuck with gui lags

This. Only I'm using a chinkpad. Browsing is super smooth and applications load not any slower than on windows.

>Also don't try to work in technology, it is also a meme and there are no jobs.
That's actually true where I live.

and you don't even need to touch those configuration files if you're installing a distro pre-packaged for desktop use

How can something faster with system requirements like 2GB ram? Fuck logic.

You hardly ever need to touch the config files and if you do, just delete it to get a fresh one

>Not having a backup.

The thing about Linux having a multitude of flavors is that one of them is likely to suit your needs
>General usability
Ubuntu, Mint, or any of their flavors
>Portability
Porteus, Lubuntu, some flavors of Puppy
>Security anywhere
TAILS
>Debugging/Stress-testing
Kali or whatever you can come up with
>Building from scratch
Arch, Gentoo

How are image editing programs so fucking bad on Linux/GNU

The reason you needed to touch them is why a fresh one won't work.

Because dualboot XP you mong.

If you're building them from scratch. Idiot-proof distros like Ubuntu or Mint will work out of the box.

You can lie as much as you want about not needing to touch config files, but I've never gone a week on any distro without needing to touch them for some stupid reason that wouldn't exist outside of the Linux/Unix clones

Like what?

You can lie as much as you want as well about needing to touch the config files every single time.

The macbook pro with retina display does not have this problem.

fuck off microshill

every single point is a lie

where they are at now

this disgusting, discredited, criminal company

Doesn't SteamOS require like 4GB? I think it's faster than most distros too.

why is there CHOICE?