Tfw my NAS is just 10 of these sitting next to each other connected to a USB hub

tfw my NAS is just 10 of these sitting next to each other connected to a USB hub

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/32673/best-way-to-use-raspberry-pi-as-a-5-drive-nas-with-raid-5
youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4
lmgtfy.com/?q=RAID 6 vs RAID 5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's not a nas user, that's just a bunch of external drives

it's one component of the NAS, nigger.

So is a bunch of cables

>LOOK AT MUH NAS GUIZE, RELY MEKS U FINK ABOUT TEKNOLOGY

Nice bottleneck.

This just poses the question: Why aren't there cheap DIY NASbox circuits that use the rPi's GPIO? It would be like those PCI RAID cards, but just one big NAS driver and connects to some sort of something. It would then use the rPi as the main media server driver and then do a normal setup from there? It would be cheaper to do that, right?

answer: raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/32673/best-way-to-use-raspberry-pi-as-a-5-drive-nas-with-raid-5

When are you going to be accessing all 10 drives at once?

When are you ever going to use more than 300mb?!
youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4

>not going to your local dump, bribing the security guard with cigarettes, going over the garbage to find smartphones, breaking them up and getting their systems on chips, making a custom SSD from those SoCs

With 10 of smashed up iPhones and a bit know how you could easily make a 320 GB SSD desu senpai

>orange pi zero

When you have 300+ mb of hentai.
Now post a realistic use scenario where an end-user is trying to access 10 drives at the same time.

link me senpai

>imblyin I gife my schematics for free
Lern wut is SSD controller and Dram yourself
You nigger

Unfortunately most of us aren't intelligent enough to know how to build electrical things.

RAID1 with 10 drives?

im sure someones done it

>implying youve done any of what you said

Sup Forums!

>300+ mb of henta

This

All Sup Forums can do is barely put together a pc and judge pc parts based on others reviews

When I'm looking at A thru C of my pr0n collection

>He doesn't have a 1tb drive at 97% capacity of hentai
S H I G G Y

>Implying it's not a 2 tb drive

What is the best RAID level for my HTPC? I just want to pool my drives but be able to survive at least one failure (or two, if possible).

Raid10 is best performance for everything but if you have 5 or more raid 6 is also acceptable. Raid 5 is obselete

>raid 6
what's the advantage over raid 5?

also if drive count matters does that mean I should just go with something like 6x 1TB drives instead of 2x 3tb drives?

lmgtfy.com/?q=RAID 6 vs RAID 5

RAID 5 3 disk minimum
RAID 6 4 disk minimum

After doing many RAID setups, back up your important stuff to the cloud, and your torrents just download them again if the drives die, way cheaper. Imho, all RAID is now obsolete.

>hurdur x is obsolete
>"why"
>let me google that for u xD
>if anything goes wrong just download ita gainst whats da problem
you are a fucking retard

failure of one is RAID-5, but why would you have your drive in your HTPC? The fuck are you doing user.

advantage is that one more drive can die before you lose your array,

Also RAID is not a backup, it's just redudancy.

Also these days RAID-5 is strongly discouraged, since growing disk size. Additionally hardware raid in general is depreciated and most HBAs just run JBOD anyway.

Also downloading the torrents again isn't a option for a lot of older tv shows for example that weren't too successful.

>pic related it's my SMB share, that I rsync regularly to a server with wol at my parents place.

>Additionally hardware raid in general is depreciated
lol ok poorfag. i'm sure you know more than LSI and Adaptec. They keep on making new chips which no one buys.

>not using raid
enjoy losing parts of your data from drive failure, retard

>Also RAID is not a backup, it's just redudancy.
wish you faggots would stop spamming this every time RAID comes up

for practical purposes (read: not your shitty IT job), RAID is enough for most people and perfectly fine for this application

and yet high-end SANs like to have hardware level access to the drives, as do professional NAS systems like FreeNAS.

Also why the fuck are there people writing firmware for LSI 128 drive SAS controllers just to give the host OS direct access to drive?

I'm a sysadmin and we don't blindly trust our SAS controllers if possible and that's exactly what LSI wants you to do, which is so stupid. We only do that on the diskshelves where we have a full support and exchange contract.

>lol ok poorfag

What's that even supposed to mean? In my server I have my SAS controllers configured to simple HBAs with JBOD.

It's true by definition though. Also his application is fucking stupid.. he wants a fileserver inside his HTPC, instead of having a small server and an actual HTPC. Apart from that, yeah, for content like that just storing it in a single array is not wrong.

>he wants a fileserver inside his HTPC, instead of having a small server and an actual HTPC
you simply read too far into the post user
>Apart from that, yeah, for content like that just storing it in a single array is not wrong.
ok then

>FreeNAS
>professional
>Free
>professional

>Also why the fuck are there people writing firmware for LSI 128 drive SAS controllers just to give the host OS direct access to drive?
Because there aren't. People aren't going to homebrew firmware for a HBA when they can just download the IT firmware from LSI.

>i'm a sysadmin
>but I dont know the difference between a HBA and RAID card
>and this freenas is somehow professional when it is just a shitty webui for linux
>i need this shitty webui because I cant use the CLI yet i'm a sysadmin

>poorfag
>What's that even supposed to mean
You couldn't afford $1500 for a RAID card you so pretend that your $50 ebay special is somehow on the same level.

wow why are you so incredibly butthurt?

>FreeNAS not professional
Yeah FreeNAS with it's expansion policy of striping every new array in the pool and a ZFS filesystem, screams home user right?

>Because there aren't
yeah then point me to the offical IT mode on the current MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i. Protip you can't because there is no IT mode firmware.

>mad rumbling
duh I'm sorry for you bro..

>You couldn't afford $1500 for a RAID card
why in the everylasting fuck would I need or want a 1500€ RAID card? Seriously there are no benefits at all. The fuck is wrong with you man?

whatever just to reply fully to your ramble:

Please tell me what a SAS controller in JBOD is if not a simple HBA that gives host OS direct access to drives?
FreeNAS is professional software, not everything open source, is cheap and useless, you know?
You do realize you can SSH into a FreeNAS and not use the WebUI, right?

Also, in all seriousness, wtf is wrong with you? And why are so fucking upset?
Holy fuck?

>implying FreeNAS is not professional software

he obviously bought a $800 RAID card.