Try to use the Visual Studio 2017 that school gave me to learn C++

>try to use the Visual Studio 2017 that school gave me to learn C++
>shit is bloated as fuck, couldn't even manage to find where I click to write a hello world and compile
Guess I'll stay with Codeblocks then

VS is actually really good and aside from gaming the only valid reason to use windows tbqh

>can't figure out how to use the most normie IDE of them all
Stick to CodeBlocks for your own good famalam

Not for people trying to write small single file CLI programs to learn I guess

vs is a retard filter

> I am literally incompetent

Only idiots allow themselves to code without IntelliSense

They are stuck into their 1982 technologies pretending to be smart.

>tfw still didn't find the compile button

It's just pain in the ass. I use vs2015 and don't really feel like upgrading to 17. Usually with software I am happy to keep up with the latest, visual studio on the other hand.. Will I be spending days figuring why something doesn't work, ending up downgrading back to 2015. Not willing to find out.

File > New > Project > (On side bar) Visual C++

Wow, was that so hard you absolute retard?

PS: kill yourself

>Easiest IDE known to man
>still manages to fuck it up

lol, its called "Visual" studio. you wouldnt survive outside visual studio

you do not belong to Sup Forums, we can't let anymore of those tech illiterates ruin this board. this faggot cant even use easisest IDE mankind ever made

Either you are trolling or fucking retarded, OP.

This.

This. If you can't figure out how to handle a simple IDE then you shouldn't try programming. Go back to webcoding.

You faggots I can use gcc + text editor / other IDEs just fine, but apparently in VS you have to go through 9001 steps to compile a hello world

Then what? I still don't know where the fuck I go to write and compile shit

f5

then you're basically lying

C Lion or REEEEEEEEE

>Yeah it's fucking bloated part with all addons you need

Even though this faggot is fucking retarded he is right on one point though. I use VS daily and it is bloated as fuck there is shitload of stuff I don't use. Microsoft should really release a VS lite and give the user the ability to install features where needed.

>>shit is bloated as fuck, couldn't even manage to find where I click to write a hello world and compile
Sorry user that i have to be the one to tell you that, but you are legit retarded.

qtcreator. thank me later

>You faggots I can use gcc + text editor / other IDEs just fine, but apparently in VS you have to go through 9001 steps to compile a hello world
You are retarded. If I'm not mistaken VS actually provides you with a hello world example when you create a console project. Just press play and it will compile and run. Otherwise right click on the project you idiot.

Also wait until you start making something remotely complex and have to setup cmake with your superior notepad + gcc combo. Then you wish you were using point and click in visual studio.

Try netbeans or eclipse
surely you will feel visual studio isnt really that bloated

I find that it works wonky with the std lib. Especially when you try to keep the Qt AIDS to a minimum. Installing the clang completion model helps a bit.

>Try netbeans or eclipse
I feel sorry for people who need to use this on a daily basis.

>CLion
Considering OP could neither figure out how to create a new project nor hit a giant fucking run button in VS, he wont be able to use CLion either.

How fucking retarded are you OP?

There's a literal play button in the top bar you jackass

or fuck off back to shitbeans

Dont be

Feel sorry for the ones who have to use RAD studio.

>couldn't even manage to find where I click to write a hello world and compile

Apparently, pressing F5 is waaay too hard for the OP.
But yes, im sure its the IDE's fault.

I use VS for work.
It's okay out of the box for .net work. It is a little bloated when compared to working in a code editor like atom or vsc. But as long as you're on an actual work station it works just fine and does anything you need it to.
Add resharper into the mix and you've got a very decent IDE but it does take some time for indexing.

Recently I've been trying the Rider EAP and it's amazing. All the usual VS + Reshaper shortcuts with an intellij environment. My only gripe with it is that it doesn't allow for EDMX editing.

Anyone else here use vs fpr its aesthetic, the colors for coding n its layout are the only reason i use it lol, i havent even touch any of the other features

>it works wonky with the std lib
never witnessed that. new clang completion is great too.
>keep the Qt AIDS to a minimum
you can disable all qt plugins, and use cmake, they finally fully integrated it.

anyway it's better than vs and certainly better than the diarrhea that codeblocks is.

What is your favorite VS shortcut Sup Forums?

Mine is: CTRL + Shift + V

c++ builder is(was) a thousand times better than eclipse. it was actually better than modern vs.

and eclipse undisputably holds the crown of dogshit amongst ides.

how hard is it to press f5 mothefucking faggot?

mine's alt+f4

>Learning how to code on an IDE

no

Hah op is right, vs is trash. It's 20 years of legacy built into a one huge bloated mess. It's what you get if you think it is good idea to have one single product to be used to create parts of kernel, video games, websites, mobile apps, devops + whatever else wacky microsoft comes up with next.
Visual studio code is microsoft trying to depart from this terrible strategy of having one tool do everything between heaven and earth at once.

VS Code is completely different dude, though it is admittedly better suited to your fizzbuzz projects

who is this

Japanese rock paper scissors champion.

>he is right on one point though. I use VS daily and it is bloated
you are stupid. you can trim the debubber. fuck you can even not run a debugger at all!
>20 years of legacy
you are mentally challenged. VS is fully re-written in XAML and WPF.

>couldn't even manage to find

Sincere question: How does VS Code differ from VS? I know almost nothing about it.

VS is an IDE, VS code is basically Notepad++ or (literally) atom

Because IDE's are usually used to write larger, multi file/folder Applications, you colossal faggot.

write your hello world shit in a text editor.

>couldn't even manage to find where I click to write a hello world and compile

Have you tried the big green play button you absolute retard.

HAH visual studio literally gets worse the larger your project gets. It's perfect for fizzbuzz tier programs. With large projects you start experiencing random crashes or it just hangs and the fastest way out is terminating the IDE.

>It's perfect for fizzbuzz tier programs

no

How do you upgrade from Visual Studio 2016 to Visual Studio 2017?

ITT: bunch of crybaby linux toddlers stuck into technologies from 1982

It's really easy actually. Sure, if you know make or write your own bash scripts to compile your program already it's just one more thing to learn.
But for a complete beginner VS is pretty damn good.

op is really highlighting that you don't need an IDE for 'hello world', an IDE massively complicates 'hello world' (and most other elementary tasks). it obfuscates, you learn nothing but how to 'operate' the crap (the intention of organisations which promote it in 'education')

yes, it's slow and bloated as fuck, with unneccessary features these 'experts' have had to 'learn'. Reflecting it's parent OS

remember this kiddies - if you are an 'expert' in microsoft 'tools', you are an expert in nothing

Why the fuck can't I use VS as a C IDE?

>for a complete beginner VS is pretty damn good.

no! Using an IDE before you fully know how to code is retarded

I find the project & solution system to be very convenient. The precompiled headers could be better but there's no significant improvements available.

Most other IDE are just not good at debugging. I suspect the people who use those just don't understand because while VS isn't perfect for debugging it changes how you debug and sets a new standard for you. People who consider gdb command line (or even ddd, which imo is the best alternative to vs debugger) sufficient just debug like they're crippled.

You never "fully" know how to code, senpai.

You do realise that the act of building programs and programming are completely separate, even using the most programmatic tools available for C or c++. To prefer learning one before the other is not important. And with VS you don't have to learn.

And what do you mean by 'fully'?

you know what I mean

no you don't know what you're talking about. Want evidence an IDE is not for a beginner? read the OP

I always get the "there are multiple definitions of xyz" error. Looks like a common bug, you have to delete files manually as a workaround. It's a shame because qtcreator is comfy.
Back to eclipse I guess.

He's claiming not to be.
And frankly I think he's just trying to discourage use of VS because of some personal vendetta.

It's true that if you're literally blind you can't find the new solution>cli application wizard. MS should work on accessibility tools. Since most other build systems are in easily accessible text they are easier to use for the blind.
But I was talking about the general case.

Who's claiming not to be what?

No. Nobody knows what you mean. People go through 5 years of computer science degrees without knowing basic shit.

theres no VS 2016 user

A rookie. Look:
He's using a build system.

Ok I want to pirate visual studio 2017 where do I start?

Isn't the community edition free?

Just ask your college for a dreamspark/inspire code and download it for free.

>there are multiple definitions of xyz" error. Looks like a common bug
i have literally never had this error. you must be doing something wrong.

>codeblocs
>vs
Shit tier and mediocre tier. Pay for CLion and use actual quality software. Most university programs can get you a free license for a couple years.

what is a header guard?

I know what a header guard is.
Looks like is a linker related error.
I have to delete the pro.user file.

after some time it will ask you to login to your MS account and will not launch till you do that

>wanting to target only one shitty platform
why the fuck would anyone want to use visual c++?

even the Visual C++ toolkits aren't all that great.

>using nonfree software to develop software
you aren't this stupid right?

CodeBollocks would be fine for most things. that is, if importing projects from VS wouldn't be broken as fuck

>school gave me to learn C++

sounds like a personal problem

>794 KB

o ok. so where are the visual C++ build toolchains for linux build servers?

get fucked and take your .solution cancer and shove it up your ass.

even CLion at least uses cmake for autismo makefile and MSVC cucks.

This. Unit tests and compile targets and stuff is quite nicely integrated since about VS2013. Also the automagic deployment of other projects in the solution that contain libraries is pretty cool, never had to change a setting.
The integration of ASP.NET MVC and SQL Server projects is cool as well with generating build scripts, deploying to test/production servers and so on.

The express editions are free and apart from stuff like CodeLens and other nifty collab-stuff for use with TFS/Git.

honestly if they made computer science about "teaching you how to code" it'd suck

I'm going to start working on my c++ skills, I'm already familiarized with it over all but I want to really get into it - for starting what do I need from here, from the first tier? Imma take sql stuff because I want to have some fun with game servers as a hobby but from tier 1 list what to take?

OP you're just a retard. Just kill yourself.

NVM i went to individual components page and just picked what i needed.