What brand has the best cooling in this gen of GPUs? I was told MSI

What brand has the best cooling in this gen of GPUs? I was told MSI

I really hate GPUs that sound like airplanes taking off.

Other urls found in this thread:

siliconlottery.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I dont know. Read some reviews, and install gentoo while you're at it.

I got MSI gaming 1060 3GB. The fans don't spit under light and medium load and work at around 30% when under load. Runs max at 64C (but this is 1060, dunno about other models). What fucking irks me is the coil whine under load. Even the premium PSU didn't help. Maybe I'm just unlucky. So you have to worry about that, too.

MSI has good hardware but shit software

What? MSI Afterburner is the standard as far as overclocking software goes, and that's the only piece of MSI software that you're ever going to use with a graphics card. Or at all for that matter. I had an MSI Z97 motherboard and never used any of their software with it, other than the UEFI (which was fine, if inferior to Asus').

Don't mind the paper in pic.
I've got the 6gb. From the "OC" cards.
Cant say I recommend it. The temps never go above 56c-ish, with room temps 20-30c, with it overclocked to 2060Mhz. That said, it really starts to throttle back in that temp range.
I've got a 'aggressive' fan curve set on it. From 40c it's at 70% and at 50 it's at 90%.
If it's cooling was a little better I could pull another 30-50Khz. I think MSI's Armour range has better cooling. I only grabed this because there's no one carrying 480's near me.
Pic shows the thickness of the fins. It needs more surface then raw materials.
I can't fault it for what it is. But I was expecting a fair bit more from it. When I go to my next build I'll throw a peltier plate on it to see what the clocks can be. I suspect there's some fuckery going on with the drivers causing it to throttle sooner than it should.
Whether that's deliberate or not is a different issue. If this could clock as high as theoretically it should (ln2 world record 8000Mhz). It should be on par with a 1070. But could be held back to prevent children making firehouses, than protecting 'flagship' and profit.

Oh, and the fans are quiet. The stock 8350 cooler was much louder. And that wasn't even that loud at 100%.

>What brand has the best cooling in this gen of GPUs? I was told MSI

The brand usually doesn't matter, it's the exact model that you have to research. For example some MSI 1060 model might sound like a vacuum cleaner while MSI's 1070 model might sound like a fish tank.

THOSE FUCKiNG IDIOTS!!!

NVidia removed useless DVI and made the temps go down.

But no, MSI had to do it their own way.

Fuck, I'm pissed now.

I've got a rog 1080 and that thing is pretty dang quiet, even under load.

You're the idiot, fuckhead. Open coolers don't push air out of the back of the card, so how open the grille is or isn't is irrelevant. It only matters for blower-style coolers, which is WHY Nvidia removed it.

DVI is also still a popular connection, especially for people who bought cheap gook 1440p monitors.

Then why is my MSI 980 blowing hot air out back? Me vs. denialists 1:0

>DVI is also still a popular connection, especially for people who bought cheap gook 1440p monitors.

People who buy cheap monitors surely can't afford a Ti.

It doesn't matter. All of them run like room heaters

Ohm. Not the Water cooled ones, but those are cost a fortune

liquid cooling
rad/fans routed to another room
enjoy great cooling and no noise

how high does that mobo OC?

Speaking of GPU's would you rather:

>Buy a GTX 1070+with a 1440p/Ultrawide 144hz Monitor.
>Buy 1080Ti for your 144hz Monitor

gigabyte. only buy gigabyte

idk I returned one of those from the pic cos when the fan was running it sounded like its scraping on something.

watched a yt fan noise test, it had the same sound.

I think they cheaped out on fan bearings

Not for AMD. Not like anybody should buy any AMD card other than the 480, but Gigabyte fucked up the AMD boards since the 200 series

MSI. Just don't use their software.

msi rx480 gaming x owner here.

this card gets HOT. But I still can't hear the fans on heavy gaming. Can confirm it's really quiet.

I was under the impression that they all use the same cooler model.

Honestly this.

MSI Afterburner is great but their "Gaming App" makes the gameplay shutter somehow

>msi
>sounding like jets taking off
I own a Gtx 1080 from msi and it's dead silent

Right now I've got an R9 270 from Gigabyte. The thing is a fucking beast for overclocking. I got it from stock 975 to 1125 and am able to play W3 at 1080p high details with hairworks off 40FPS

The only downside is that it's loud and hot as fuck.

1080ti obviously

getting a card with no coil whine is like winning the lottery these days

is amd the same? i havent bought any amd cards in a long time

siliconlottery.com/

Why there's no GPU counterpart?

They all use the same heatsink and fan designs. It just depends on what the 3rd party company decides to use for a specific card

Alright the 200 series I meant the non-refreshed cards: The R9 290 and 290x.. They gun fucked up. They reached 80-90c° without any overclock

underage
>coil whine
Non issue
Most gpus these days are voltage locked or limited.

That tends to happen with any component that has a high TDP

Not to high I'd imagine. I started the other day, got 4.4Ghz. But I bricked it with one of the settings and had to reset cmos, but then was locked out of my raid array, because I'm an idiot.
The issue I'm seeing is motherboard temps.
Partially MB2. North bridge I think. Hit's 55-60c under load.
I don't see reason why it shouldn't hold 4.5Ghz all day. 4.7 is pushing it in my climate. But can be done with extra fans, and not running it in a 30c+ room. Anything else get a board meant for the 200w FX9XXX
For the price, you can't overlook it. But I do wish I went with the 990FXA (FX9xxx compatible) Just to be on the safe side.
There was a vid floating a while back, showing someone powering up a 970 with a FX9xxx and insta blowing the VRM's. The issue there I believe is they're 0.02ohm resistance. But the 990 has 0.01ohm. Meaning it has roughly half the temps for the power draw.
I'll get back to overclocking at some point. Now that I remembered that I've got to reset raid in the BIOS, not some key prompt. I was down for 15 Hours before I had a chance to google. Did you know they're still providing free to air television!?

If I buy a 1060 3GB how long till I get fucked over by small VRAM??

A lot of games are using 4gb now so Id say it's already obsolete

Believe me Gigabyte (and Asus) was the worse. They literally copy pasted the 780-780ti setup) onto them

Buy the 480 4gb instead. 3GB is not that bad, but even some games run better with that extra gigabyte.

You're fucked the minute you buy it

When Resident Evil reales-
It's already fucked.
The 3gb 1060, and the 1050 are a complete fucking scam.

Not really. Price/performance wise the 3GB 1060 is unbeatable. If it had a bit more RAM it would literally be the perfect 1080p card.

1080ti>Kek
1080>Kek
1070>Fury/Fury X/Nano
480>1060
470>1050 ti
460>1050

Not when factoring longevity. Here and now it's still kinda iffy.

>3GB 1060 is unbeatable. If it had a bit more RAM

Sooo... The 6GB Version?

The price jump to the 6GB version is considerable. At that point the 480 starts to become a better deal.

>Price/performance wise the 3GB 1060 is unbeatable

You can get an 8GB 480 cheaper than a 3GB 1060 here in the UK. The latter has dropped in price massively here recently.

480s are still expensive as fuck in eastern europe

I still recommend you buying the 480 4/8GB.

The 1060 is not a bad card, but I think the 480 has more Value

Where you from?

Where I live:

Cheapest 3GB 1060 - $225
Cheapest 4GB 480 - $241
Cheapest 8GB 480 - $271
Cheapest 6GB 1060 - $293

Romania

Oh damn, I'm from Hungary and theres a guy who gets GPU's from Germany for cheap and sells it here (With Proper warranty as well)

His selling the 480 4GB for like $210, the 8 gb version is 244

That's only a little higher than American prices. I wonder how much profit he's making

Unrelated Question: Is the LG Monitors cheap there as well as here? I'm considering buying an LG Ultrawide what cost 700 dollar in the US but cost only $500

Tbqh I've only seen them in store and they looked fairly nice. Can't speak to actual ownership though. 200$ cheaper seems good but it makes me wonder "why"

Love the white version of that card, sexy

Funny thing - when I was asking at few local shops about ordering GPUs few months ago and asked about MSI models of RX480, they replied "we dont touch MSI".

MSI have bad rep among shops or what?

The shop has probably had to deal with a lot of returns for their products and they got to a point where they got fed up with it or started to lose money with them

Or, you know, a thousand other reasons. I don't know any components store worth a shit that doesn't stock MSI products.

I have a 1070 EVGA super clicked 2 with icx cooling it's nice.

Clocked*

>a thousand other reasons
List some then, ones that don't involve returns or distributor pricing conflicts.

I'm not trying to be hostile to you or MSI (I've owned cards from them), I'm just genuinely curious as to how you know there are so many other reasons why a shop wouldn't stock a specific brand.

DOA right after you bought it.

Because a group of autistic friends demanded to have their cards refunded, due to some random benchmark. So they lied about defects?

This

>list reason that doesn't involve returns
>proceeds to list a return reason
Do you read posts before replying?

MSI R9 390 in my computer and MSI RX 480 in my SO's. Both are quiet and perform well, would recommend.

WTF, covered all his bases. How is this even allowed.

>NVidia removed useless DVI and made the temps go down.
but they didnt go down at all.

I have an MSI 8GB 1070 Gaming X and it's almost completely silent unless you're playing something really intensive, and when the fans are on full blast it's just a small background noise, still noticeable but 10x better than what most cards put out

For the gtx 1080 (lowest noise with great cooling):
Palit/Gainward

But if you only live in the US and/or want a better service:
EVGA is the best choice for service
MSI is second choice for a brand with huge marketing and therefore better resell value

>retards actually believe this

nah, that would be XFX

You were fucked 4 years ago mate

>is amd the same? i havent bought any amd cards in a long time

AMDs driver issues have been wayyyyyy better over the last two years. It's no longer a topic of conversation any more. I think my next card will be AMD.

Gigabyte good?

i've got a MSI 970 and i NEVER hear it even under low.

the heatsink on the gaming edition is fucking huge and the fans are really well designed soooo

load**

this

I would be willing to buy an MSI 1080ti if it weren't for the gaudy GAYMER red and black color scheme.

Its like they are marketing their cards to 12 year olds.

I got mine at 4.6 with 1.488 volts

Motherboard temps?

>soooo
kys

Another cucked MSI 970 owner here

The fan is quiet 90% of the time. I adjusted the fan curve myself a few months back since they were turning off at the dumbest times and then going full blast when the temperature rose. I barely hear the GPU at all, and even under full load it's not really intrusive enough.

I hear my PSU 10x more than my GPU. I've also got a CM 212 Evo for my CPU that I hear more than my GPU, but not by much. So draw your own conclusions, but MSI seems to be great. The only problem I had at one point was that the ball bearings seemed to be making noise but it's been gone for months now so I dunno.

MSI has the best aesthetic.

I like gigabyte an MSI gigabyte is quite and never had a problem but like others said it runs hot at 50C

the aestheticof 380 gigabyte series still looks cool even if its 2 years old.

as for Msi their 980 series was awesome :)

So the best budget card would be 460, not 1050?

I bought a universal mount and a cheap little 120mm aio a while ago. Been buying bargin bin gpu since then and putting the cooler on. AIO really is great for graphics because you can't fit nh d15 size heatsinks on an expansion card. Right now it has a 1060 pinned at 2130/2450. The clock speed n ever budges under load and it's always under 50c. Also very quiet. I would suggest taking this route.

A NZXT g10 and a 120mm aio are like 70 bucks. A 1080 with a good cooler is 569, and a cheap model is 500. So it's not more expensive and the cooler will hopefully last you about 5 years of gpu upgrades

Neither, I would go outside and meet a beautiful white girl and reproduce to keep the white race going strong instead of sitting around playing video games while the Jews manipulate women into racemixing thus flushing the white gene pool from existence.

I'd say ASUS, to the point where the only complaints I read are that their cards are a bit louder than the rest, but significantly cooler.

They're all the same shit. Just get the one with best warranty in your area.

Dumbass.

They're definitely much better but don't fool yourself into thinking they're without issue

Nice FUD. Can't remember the last time I've had a driver issue that wasn't also explicitly related to Crossfire, which is niche and not something worth complaining about.

The "AMD has shitty drivers meme" is stale as fuck and completely without merit at present time. You have to hand it to Nvidia though for making a great marketing campaign from "game ready drivers" and seizing upon this FUD that unless you had a brand new driver the game just wouldn't work.

To be fair though, Nvidia is so fucking involved at the software level of new game development now that this may have actually become a reality.

>ctrl+f sapphire
>no results
What about them? Got rx480 4gb cheap, temps are a little high but seems OK. Don't have anything to compare to though

msi's lightning series is sort of a niche but for air cooling, they're on par or better than the all copper evga coolers for noise and thermals