What are some good alternatives to Skype that support text, audio, and video chat...

What are some good alternatives to Skype that support text, audio, and video chat? I just read over Skype's privacy policy and want to get off M$'s wild ride. In general, I'd prefer open source, but it's not necessary. Also, general chat client discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

apps.skype.com/
tox.chat/index.html
ring.cx
wire.com/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Discord. It doesnt have video chat yet but they are adding it.

just use skype, are you a pedo terrorist ?

google hangouts

>le i have nothing to hide maymay

Wire

I've been using Skype for years now but want to stop because it's become a shit piece of software
>serves ads to your computer
>nags about updates
>completely closed source
>stores all sent messages
>m$ regularly removes functionality (see: group chats)
>always attempts to use highest video quality making other programs basically unusable

skype is the only thing that gave me a virus in the last decade. it was sending spyware links to my friends while it wasnt even showing up in process manager

Retard alert!

yes hello, welcome. but you dont need to announce your mental capacity when you post in a thread, son.

Not me who got the virus and blamed Skype on that.

Hi NSA friend

>skype doesnt have security flaws
tell me more

Hello there! You seem to have used the term "open source".
The term "open source" was created by a group of people that did not want to be associated with the free software movement. When I say "free" software (which is one of the alternatives preferable to "open source"). It's not about price; in that case I would say "gratis", or "free as in free beer". It's about "freedom"! This is what the free software movement is fighting for.
So what is "free" software? Free software is any software that guarantees the user the four essential software freedoms:
> 0. Run the program as you wish.
> 1. Study the source code and change it so it does what you wish.
> 2. Redistribute exact copies of the program.
> 3. Distribute your modified version of the program.
Some people decided that they wanted to restrict the user; but being able to study and modify the "open source" code is not enough! This is directly hurting the cause of the free software movement because it takes away the sociological "freedom" aspect of free software and turns it into a technological one.
So for those reasons I ask that in the future you use the terms "free", "free/libre" or, if necessary "FLOSS" (short for "free/libre and open source"), though the latter should still be avoided.

What's the security flaw there, exactly?

Considering it's closed source, who knows?

You did not say that someone might have guessed your shitty pwd.
You did not say that you executed some infected executable.
You said that Skype gave you a virus and that it was some security flaw to blame.
Come the fuck on, try holding yourself accountable for a minute.

im not that guy but you're fucking retarded.

i have seperate passwords for everything.
i dont download random bullshit programs and execute them.
i said that skype sent links to my contacts while the program was closed and not showing in process manager.
come the fuck on try using your brain for a minute you fucking MS shill nigger.

ps. i have adblock and script blocker in my browser.

skype is the only thing that has been infected on my computer in 10 years.

faggot

>i said that skype sent links to my contacts while the program was closed and not showing in process manager.
So someone bruteforced your shitty password you stupid fag.

>MS shill nigger
Wanting to laugh at a tech illiterate retard does not make me an MS shill.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, I just think you're fucking retarded

>infected
What was the vector of infection? Can you name it?

Some question applies to you.

>serves ads to your computer
Block apps.skype.com/ and you wont get any ads from it.

Gmail with Google hangout.

At least you don't need to install a botnet on your system.

>brute-forcing 10 character password with lower and uppercase letters and numbers just to make skype send malware links
>problem solved after uninstalling skype
>nothing else affected
and no it wasnt a fucking pleb-tier password

i already posted all the details i have

No, everything just automatically goes through the botnet for you.

Discord Anda lot of alternatives are just as bad if not worse. Especially discord. The only one with voice chat that are secure and have all the features you mentioned are wire which is limited to 5 people per call.

Tox.

Try MEGA's encrypted video chat. If you already use their cloud storage it's really nice. Ive used it many times and its really simple and is way better than (((skype))).

>10 character password

Wow, a whole 10 characters, that sure is secuHAHAHAHAHA

didn't you read OP? he is ditching skype over the privacy policy

Riot.IM is FOSS discord

For purely text chatting, I'd use XMPP with OMEMO (basically, OTR upgraded to support group end-to-end encryption). I think it's the best messaging system right now in terms of security, privacy and openness, but it's not normie-friendly.

For more general use and audio/video calls, here are some open, secure alternatives:
tox.chat/index.html
ring.cx

There is also Wire, which is open-source but enterprise-backed (based in Switzerland), offering end-to-end encryption with both desktop and mobile apps. Probably the normie-friendliest of all the ones I mentioned:
wire.com/en/

So what you're saying is that Skype had a vulnerability that did not require user input whatsoever. How likely is that?

> just to make skype send malware links
Yes. Why does that surprise you?

Wire is THE replacement for Skype.

>m$ regularly removes functionality (see: group chats)
HOLY SHIT DOES SKYPE NOT HAVE GROUP CHAT ANYMORE

if they went through the hassle of brute forcing a password they sure as fuck wouldnt stop at making skype send links.
the email i used for that account was never even touched.

yes, for now. would take a decade to brute force it.

>a decade
On what, a decade old machine?

>they sure as fuck wouldnt stop at making skype send links.
What would they do then?
Do you know that bruteforcing and spamming is fully automated?

mumble

resolvers

i would guess current capabilities, i didnt read the fineprint on the random website i checked with. feel free to check yourself.

do you know that you can make things send back information?

>do you know that you can make things send back information?
What

Bait.

Not only are you ignorant, you violently defend your stupidity. I'm somewhat impressed you even manage to turn your computer on.

fyi if any of you linked a skype account to an ms account at any point, turn off login via the skype alias, otherwise 2fa can be circumvented and the ms account can be logged into via the password the skype account had set before getting linked
and no, you can't change that password, and no, you can't unlink the accounts

>yes hello mothership i cracked this password here's the information so you can store it in your database and sell
fucking retard get a brain

>adblocker and scriptblocker in browser
>never click bait links or run unkown programs
>use nod32 and scan once in a while with mbam
>in 10 years the only issue that ever occurred is skype sending links to contacts
>my stupidity

Yes, your stupidity. You were the one who got your skype account owned. Not me.

Stop replying to him, he is obviously trolling. "I checked my password security by typing it into a random site that pretends to check my password security without reading any fine print". Come on.

>i cracked this password here's the information so you can store it in your database and sell
Sell and what's next?
You should consider licking a wall socket.

yes i'm sure it was me, even tho i take all those precautions and i'm not some tech illiterate retard, and not this

how long would it take to brute force my pw then?
also
>implying i typed in my real password into some random website

use for dictionary attacks you fucking tool

It does, but they removed the vast majority of group chat management commands. I don't think it even has group ranks anymore.

So there was some vulnerability in Skype that infected PCs without any user input but it was not widespread despite being very easy to use or even documented.
Got it.

Assuming your password was truly randomized and didn't contain any meaningful alphanumeric sequences (like ilovecocks) and it contained only letters (lowercase and uppercase) and numbers, there would be 62^10 possible combinations (and assuming the cracker knew the length of the password).
The chance to guess the correct password on the first try is 1/62^10. If he didn't guess correctly, there are only 62^10 - 1 possible passwords left, so the chance to guess correctly on the following try is 1/(62^10 - 1) etc, so the chance of guessing correctly on the nth try, assuming all previous tries were fails, is p_n := 1/(62^10 - n + 1). That means that the chance of guessing correctly within n tries or fewer is p_1 + (p_1 - 1)p_2 + (p_1 - 1)(p_2 - 1)p_3 + ... + (p_1 - 1)(p_2 - 2)...p_n = sum from k=1 to n of the product of all (p_m - 1)p_k where 0 < m < k.
I think there is a probability distribution that models this behaviour, it's not the geometric distribution (since that one requires the experiments to be invariant, which they aren't here because the pool of possible passwords shrinks with each try) but it must be similar.
You can then turn that equation around and basically calculate the number of tries n that it would take to have a given chance of guessing your password.
Plug in the numbers yourself, determine n so that the attacker has a, say, 50% chance of guessing your password. Now divide n by 10 years, that's how many guesses you must make per time unit in order to do it. Remember that since brute-forcing can be automated, the cracker could employ an arbitrarily large number of computers working in tandem, effectively multiplying the number of possible guesses per time by that number.

Discord is literally a botnet and is hosted by cloudflare which has been compromised.

it's not a virus/malware. an external bot used the login+pw to send the links to all contacts. Skype claims that this is because people use the same login and password for multiple sites and some of them got hacked but countless people have reported that they had unique logins and passwords so it was skype who got their database breached.

Skype has NSA backdoor