What is your opinion on Discord?

What is your opinion on Discord?

All sources are reporting the same thing.
"Kill yourself"

trash gaymerware electron "application"

Slack clone; proprietary garbage.

XMPP is the only Sup Forums compatible messaging tech

It works well.
It's non-free.
But everyone uses it.

I prefer LINE messenger both on phone and desktop though.

This, pretty much.
At least it's a lesser evil compared to Skype.

It came out first, n there both rip offs another shtty chat app

Slack predates Discord by like 2 years.

Eh, I prefer just plain old IRC.

botnet

irc with shit piled on it.

This.

The worst part about communication applications is that you can't be a contrarian.

It would be better if it wasn't "for gaymers". I would happily replace all my chat services with just one that has the capabilities of Discord (that is PMs, calls and channels) but I don't see myself communicating with coworkers through gayman services.

Better than IRC in every way, annoys freetards who think using inferior software is a virtue.

Mumble is a superior open source alternative, even teamspeak is better.

this.

These

Its UI is a little tacky. Its trying hard to do everything instead of doing one or two things really well.

I prefer Skype

because everyone already has a Skype account.
dont have to fiddle fuck around getting everyone signed up and forced to keep yet another app running in their system tray

Apparently during Jeopardy, Watson was actually using SUSE Enterprise.

bretty kool, eh?

at least it got people off skype

You can install it on every platform (or even use it in the browser) and it's consistent across every platform.

It does everything really well and includes all the stuff normies want like emotes, etc.

The only bad thing about it is that it's a proprietary service which normies don't care about.

Yes it's technically to achieve the same thing with some Frankenstein combination of running your own server with Mumble, IRL, hundreds of plugins to emulate everything Discord does by defailt, then somehow convince your friends to use all this shit, but you know damn well no one is gonna bother with that outside of Sup Forums. And as said, at least it's not Skype.

This.

It's well done for what it is. But if you're going to use it, be ready to replace at any time: one day the VC money will start to run out and they'll be forced to either get serious about monetizing or shut down.

yet

it thumbnails & embeds images & websites so it's the best chat app

you can be, but then you sit in an IRC channel that has like maybe 5 messages per week - 4 of those from the bot welcoming someone

This

Gaymur trash used by underage newfaggots who don't have the brain power to use IRC.

[citation needed]

But is it better than Open Source, Matrix (no)

same shit to what happened with pushbullet
had to botch their software to put old items that were free behind a subscription.

It was that, or they shutdown
I stopped using it pretty much, but I'm happy they're not out of business

>Matrix

The last time I tried using that shit (last week) for group conference call on a fucking local LAN the stuttering was insane.

It's literally alpha tier tech at best, Matrix.

was your voice call server local or online?

Huh? It was the default matrix.org server.

We were using Riot.

probably why, voice calls for those are hosted in the cloud, not on a lan

it's not P2P

Are there any encrypted P2P group voice call solutions currently?

more like liquord

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

But it's entirely JS, you can just look at the source code.

yeehaw

it's a great replacement for Skype and even WhatsApp for my group of friends, and made me save the $10 a year I used to pay for my Mumble server
I don't give a fuck if they're looking at the anime girl pictures I share through it

I wish I could convince my friends to use mumble, but it's never going to happen, so of course I will use Discord. What the hell else would I use? Steam chat is terrible.

>I don't give a fuck if they're looking at the anime girl pictures I share through it

Leave Sup Forums forever

if you werent a pedophile the would be no need to be worried about muh privacy user

It's obfuscated mess and not free

most of Sup Forums would use BBS for everything if they could

You need a browser that can open the webpack in your debugger to read 80% of the clientside javascript

>implying I cant

It's garbage but at least it's not Skype.

Handing out (You)s like candy today

>It came out first
Wrong. Slack was released in 2013. Discord was released in 2015 and heavily modeled after Slack.

>At least it's a lesser evil compared to Skype.
It retains and exports nearly as much data, albeit is not subject to as many warrants or NSLs.

>IRC with shit piled on it.
You can't edit your posts on IRC, nor can you embed media.

No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't be worse, either.

>I don't give a fuck if they're looking at the anime girl pictures

Good shit. Hope you don't mind your social credit rating dropping, because it's logged.

I want /r/Technology to leave.

Seems like an IRC successor to me
Has pretty much everything that irc offer but in better

Although I never really tried slack

>You can't edit your posts on IRC, nor can you embed media.

>uploading media to them so they can use it for anything
litterally facebook

but hey, IRC clients can do it too

>Good shit. Hope you don't mind your social credit rating dropping, because it's logged.
yea dude, they're surely going to mess with the social credit of a guy who isn't even from the US because he shares pictures of naked anime girls with big tits
fuck me

It is literally the only proprietary program I run on my PC. I just can't not use it when my community insists on using it.

>Has pretty much everything that irc offer but in better
Except that it is proprietary and centralized, so it may go down very quickly if they fail to monetize or do it in a horrible way.

A better skype. Mind, it's still basically skype.

Tox, or something similar, needs to catch up.

>steam has been out for over 6 years
>chat client is still outdated and ignored by dev team

discord wouldn't stand a goddamn chance if valve actually focused on REAL community features and not compendiums and an unneeded store overhaul.

Use matrix
So matrix

CIA botnet

but can I chat with my friends with it who are on discord and refuse to download matrix?

>try irc for curiosity's sake
>it literally shows your ip address to everyone when you join a channel
Thanks Sup Forums!

depends on the network
some servers mask it by default or when authed to nickserv

despite the memes Sup Forums really doesn't care that much about privacy

>IRC
>Privacy
Do you have any comprehension of what IRC is?

>tfw you don't have any friends so you are not forced or obligated to use any bloated chat programs

That's why you use a relay.
Some people go as far as hacking into other servers to show off.

lounge works as a good proxy/always on hosted client

if you like web apps though, I run it on the same server as the bouncer, seems to be the best way, since you can continue to use whatever, irssi

Damn straight.

What's wrong with steam chat?

What would you use instead of Discord?

Steam chat is eons worse than IRC or Discord.
1-on-1s are okay but group chats haven't had any new administrative functionality added since it's first inception, making it ez-pz for faggots to join in and ruin your room assuming it's a public room.

if it were open-sores it'd be perfect. It might use electron and shitty hipster AIDS like it, but damn if it doesn't work really well.

Memeble

>Everyone is moving to Gamer Skype
>We have already have teamspeak
>But it's (((free))) user
>We have a fucking teamspeak

I am convinced this is some sort of joke I'm not in on

>no ads
>better control over group conversations
>you can have a different name for each server
Show me a well made foss voip client and I'll use it

can send kawaii pics on it unlike shit tier IRC and people actually use it

If you want to delete your account, you have to email them and wait a month.
They hold your data ransom basically.

Glad that my friend with a pentium keep me and all of my friends on teamspeak.
Although I am not a big teamspeak fan.

Not too bad. Better connection and sound than Skype. Noise cancelation is absolutely trash though. Impossible to use without a headset.

>all of these posts calling it a botnet
you guys dont do much research

so how do they make money

See the post below yours

>what is closed source

10/8

>cuckspeek

Reminder that the "everyone else uses it" fallacy only exists because literal faggots such as yourselves are so quick to bend over and take it up the ass.

proprietary and running on someone elses server and collects data