How about a 1980s technology thread?

How about a 1980s technology thread?

I love this era of electronics

Should I fall for the SONY Trinitron meme or go with a GRUNDIG or Bang&Olufsen set?

>implying anyone on Sup Forums was born in the 80s

90-00s technology looked like shit in comparison the the 80s.

There was no response

Philips manufactured some really cool stuff back in the day much better than the SANYO MSX sold here on the european market.

The '80s was really the beginning of modern consumer tech, tons of cheap, uninspired plastic disposable trash and terrible aesthetics that aged like shit.

But there were still some good parts and interesting technologies. There was still a bit of the innovative spirit of the '60s and '70s going in computing, and lots of cool products as a result.

>uninspired plastic disposable trash and terrible aesthetics that aged like shit.

Depends on the corporation really SHARP,B&O,Philips,PIONEER,GRUNDIG had some nice looking stuff but SONY definitely had that plastic meme going for it

How about you suck my dick OP?

Dude retrowave lmao.

Thank god for GRID it's heavenly punishment for the deviants who have strayed from the path of god.

God bless our commander in chief Ronald Reagan.

Find a flaw

>no flippy headlights
dropped.

>no flippy headlights

That was a pretty dank meme 80s meme

>US-spec bumpers
Please user, I just had dinner

Kinda works on the Scirocco though

You actually do not, because you haven't turned them on and used them. Or you only buy shit that's dead specifically so you can't do this.

what you lot are doing with this is creating this skin deep meme culture where you make up your own history on what the 80s were like based entirely and exclusively on the design of the case. What you are ignoring almost 95% in terms of relative space is the inside, which was then, and is still now, complete dogshit.

There are in fact lots of 80s computer videos and recordings if you wanted to see this for yourself since the hardware is all dead but you also ignore all of those exactly for this reason as well and just jerk off to documentaries of 50 year old losers insisting their shitty BBS was the "wild west" of the web as they spent nearly an entire decade just banning everyone over pointless chat drama. Note how there's 8 episodes of this documentary but not for a single moment do you ever see an actual BBS... what's wrong with this picture?

I still use this but whatever

in modern times, we're obsessed with aesthetics because we've surpassed with technology influencing design. Huge stereos to hide components, bulky cars to hide engines and older electronic systems, larger computers to house simpler components; it was all necessary. today, you can make a piece of technology look like anything now because we can shrink components to any reasonable size. we have to take cues from somewhere for what looks "good" or "right" so we look to the past. it's not an 80s thing, it's a nostalgia thing. simple colors, basic shapes, and larger design components give cues of power and accessibility. You could say this about the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s too

a e s t h e t i c

I was born in 1983, so I'm proud to say, yeah I grew up with the tech that's considered "retro" now. Tech then was about "business/function" none of that flashy light, "look at my inside my computer case window" crap that's all the rage now. Computers/tech then was made to be used and that was it. No one spent a whole day at a pc at home,like they do now.

>Tech then was about "business/function" none of that flashy light, "look at my inside my computer case window" crap that's all the rage now. Computers/tech then was made to be used and that was it.

I think that's what made it so aesthetic