/pcbg/ - PC Building General - "Just Wait" Meme Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p
>wait for Ryzen R5s

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread: boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/59358549

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/jC68Cy
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/Hx2df8
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mngtRG
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157746&cm_re=1151_motherboard-_-13-157-746-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/mnK42R
pcpartpicker.com/list/HgLsxY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can I build a computer with two G4560? Consider how good they are shouldn't I be getting some sort of "super i5" computer or something?

Had anyone attempted before?

My dad works at Intel. They're working on a motherboard that will let you SLI processors. Apparently they're so afraid of Ryzen's core count that they're responding by just letting people slap a bunch of CPUs together.

Could your dad send me a prototype please?

PM me your address.

Noob here. Can someone explain how an AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor is slower than a Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor?

They are the same GHz, except one is 6 cores. What am I missing?

because amd is shit and you fell for the moar coars meme

Clock speeds don't stack up 1:1 like that.

What the hell are cores good for then?

whores

Someone stop me from getting a B350 motherboard instead of the x370

If I was to be more interested in 3D rendering and modeling than high-end gaming, would a an i5 2400 be a better choice?

B350 are great value, x370s aren't really worth it

It's about ICP (insane clown posse). Basically, the Intel 14nm architecture from 2015 is far more efficient than the 32nm AMD Bulldozer architecture from 2012.

It's like this in dumb babby terms:
>GHz = how hard the processor is working
>core count / thread count = how more efficiently the processor can work tasks in parallel
>ICP = how efficient the processor is

A more efficient processor will usually beat out a processor that is working harder. A processor with a higher core count will do certain processes faster, like rendering video (creating video content), but it does not do all tasks faster because it has more available cores.

Is Inno3d any good?

Any suggestions? Hoping to keep it around 1.7k as a long time machine. So no upgrades for the next 6ish years.

I mostly do Unity app development and animation in Flash. I game casually, but only multiplayer and usually totally different things every time ranging from Rainbow 6 to Terraria as my group tends to lose focus on specific titles easily.

I was thinking about streaming as a hobby, hence the 1700 instead of a 7700k. The additional cores seem useful in that regard. Please no brand circlejerk.

whats the best i can do with a budget of $1200? gaming computer-wise

1200 will you get far these days.

>7700k
>480
>Any 60$ mobo
>16gb DDR4 2133
>128gb SSD for your OS
>500gb HDD

Grab yourself a pretty case and you'll be running Overwatch on ultra and witcher on high. At a reasonable resolution.

thank you friendo

I made this just for you, user-kun

If you go off sales and buy parts one by one, you could prob save enough to even get a 1070 or even a nice freesync monitor with a 480.

I went full on wait for sales mode and was able to keep a 7600k, xfx 480 gtr alongside a mobo that can overclock the 7600k to 5.2ghz easily WITH both delidding tools, liquid tim and cooler that handles it.

all under 1100 including sales tax + monitor

if they really do stick with the AM4 socket
you're gonna want those extra phases
especially if ryzen 2 can clock higher

>powerful cpu
>midrange gpu
>for gaming
Literally why. I'd get i5 7600k and gtx 1070 with that budget.

Honestly could replace the 480 with a 1070 and still be within budget. Might be worth considering.

I have that board and the 1700x
using OBS, which can tell you how many frames have dropped in the stream, I am getting anywhere from 0 to 1% dropped frames when doing h264 and 3-5% dropped frames usin nvenc
needless to say I am impressed, but I should have gotten the 1700 since I have watercooling

could cut both the ssd and hdd space in half to save money to spend on the other more important parts too

Anyone?

What should I be looking for when building a pc for video editing & rendering? I don't have a hard budget but let's say £800-1K, I'm in the UK.

Performance per core of a 1800X is the same of each core in a i5 7500, according to Passmark scores.

So, both have the same performance for single thread. I can use two cores to host Windows on a VM and there would be six free cores for that.

And the VM would be faster than the 7500 for multithreaded software.

Did I miss something? The question is, will a 1800X VM be as fast as an i5 7500 pure system for single thread, and better for multithread?

My only problem here is that I heard there are problems with passthrough in Ryzen motherboards. Could you guys give me some pointers for information on that?

Focus on a good CPU and a healthy amount of ram; 16GB+. The more cores the better for modern video rendering. Get a Ryzen 1700 and OC it a little bit and you'll be fine.

You can use a more basic GPU like the GTX 1060 or something.

What's a good SD card reader?

Buying a 1070

EVGA superclocked or Gigabyte's G1 Gaming?

help
pcpartpicker.com/list/jC68Cy

why not msi?

I'm not educated enough about passthroughs to comment on the VM issue but I can tell you the 1800x is the worst buy of the three R7 chips. The 1700 is where it's at.

Are you planning on being a twitch streamer or a content creator? Otherwise idk why you wouldn't just get a 7600k or something

If I turn off all the fans in idle, the only moving parts left in my PC are the mechanical drives. Why shouldn't I just throw them into the ancient PC lying around in the basement and attach it to the network? Except for size, noise and power consumption, what are the advantages of a prebuilt NAS? What advantages does a dedicated server OS offer and which one will run on a toaster?

I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow. Building this as a budget/entry-level video editing rig i can upgrade painlessly if need be. fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/Hx2df8

where did i fuck up.

Is pic related a good deal for 360 bucks?

Keep in mind I'm europoor, shit costs much more over here

in a few years i want to build a dual CPU full tower PC for around 5 thousand bux.

does dual CPU's still work for gaymen if i put the latest windows on it?

I'm so fucking done with cheap people asking me to help them pick their computer parts.

Sorry, if you only want to spend $500 bucks on a computer, look into used parts. Nothing I recommend is going to be decent, or within your budget.

Sorry. just had to get that off my chest.

OK, budget is around 1k, so I'm not cheap.

I decided on a 7700K. Please help me decide other parts, so far I have :

>i7-7700K
>No graphic card for now, I'll buy a solid nvidia one someday when I'll have the money, will just do desktop thing using the i7 iGPU in the meantime
>Z270
Which one should I get it? I don't know shit about motherboards and I'm not sure which one would suit my needs better. Ideally I'd like to go up to 16GB of RAM, so enough of that. I'll never crossfire 2 GPUs so just one slot is needed. If I could plug my screen on the mobo that could be great though (because no GPU). Please ask me questions if you need more infos on my needs.
>DDR4 2x4 8GB RAM 2400hz (or 1x 8GB if only 2 slots on the mobo)
>cooler
No idea what to pick. I don't plan on OCing until my CPU is at least 4-5 years old because I'll genuinely have to before that point considering what I plan on doing with my computer. So with that in mind, I don't need a 100€ cooler system, still, I'd like something decent.
>Thermal paste
Should I just use the one that'll be with the cooler?
>SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5"
I heard it was the best so I'm going with that.
>HDD : Toshiba or HGST 2TO
Might buy it at a later date and just go by the SDD and my old HDD, so it's not urgent.
>EVGA (G2/3 series? / NOT NEX!) (Bronze/Gold) 500-550W
Is it good enough? Or perhaps should I aim 650W at least in case I end up buying a big GPU? No idea.
>Case : Fractal design (with dust filters*)
If it could come with fans already in that'd be perfect.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything. Sorry for being clueless and thanks for reading.

How do I get a job working in comfy motherboard design

Is it better?

Check out the MSI z270 SLI Plus

I know you don't need sli but this board is cheap and feature complete.

Isn't that the appeal of PC gaming though? Value?

There's a lot of broke college and high school students on this site so it's expected that a lot of anons will have serious budget limitations.

Things are cheaper in europe, idiot.

All the $ prices you're watching online don't include taxes.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mngtRG
How is it? Planning on using this to last me for the next 10 years and such,

Games don't even make full use of all cores of current high end consumer grade CPUs. Don't expect your 88 thread dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 setup to perform better than an i5 in games.

I have an old mobo on my second computer with only one cha_fan port but I want two case fans on it. The case fans I have are weird ones with 3pin connector but also male and female molex allowing you to daisy chain them. Is it okay to connect the other fan to the the 3pin cha_fan and then daisy chain the second via molex and have them both run at controlled speed?

My friend wanted me to put together a build list for her that's less than £700, how did I do?

What does she plan on doing with it?

Would this be a good motherboard for a higher end gaming PC? I don't know much about motherboards.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157746&cm_re=1151_motherboard-_-13-157-746-_-Product

"It will be for gaming, the occasional web browse but mostly just to play steam games and the likes."

R5 fucking when

In that case I think it's pretty good, just make sure the board has 4 RAM slots in case she needs to upgrade in the future.

Does she need both the SSD and the HDD? Especially 2TO? There's more value in buying 256GB SSD than a 120GB and who knows it might be enough for her. Doesn't she have a HDD she can re-use for data storage?

Other than that it looks good, though it depends what she means by steam games, if she means to play big AAA games she won't be able to play them in extra settings of course.

This will be her first computer, right now she uses a laptop so it'll be a big step up in terms of gaming. I just selected a 2TB for her game library so it'll be plenty, and the SSD for her boot drive.

Looks good to me. Generally if the board has everything you need, it'll be fine.

>v300 SSD
Get this if you really hate her.
The kingston v300 is worse than the worst chinkshit

What SSD would you suggest for that price range then?

Oh yeah indeed I forgot to say this, as user just said get Samsung for the SSD, don't buy some crap one.

Should I get a GTX 1060 if its cheaper than a XFX GTR RX 480?

If you're super cheap a Kingdian is the best chinky ones, I'm using one right now they're fine.
Or if you'd prefer to not put your money on the proud chinese, then Adata is another good option.

Is it feasible to build a top tier gaming computer on an mini ITX board?

Will the r5 drop the prices across the board?

I think for budgeting purposes, I'll stick with the V300, thanks anyway.

Maybe. Probably not though.

My guess is May.

Sticking with the v300 is a big mistake.
Seriously, you must really hate that woman.

We're talking garbage here, we're not talking 'slight difference' we're talking extreme garbage.

i have that card (or the x3)
it's good
it's huge and heavy but it's a common thing for this kind of card

Then in that case discuss with her about the build itself. Ask her how much space she needs, explain to her what a SSD is, like how Windows and her games are gonna load super fast, and if she'd prefer put the money into it to then buy a HDD at a later date if she needs more room in the future, etc... Some people absolutely don't need 2TO.

It's a 700 bucks computer we're talking about here, don't buy her some crap.

could just get 2 crappo hdd and put it in raid would work just as gud as an ssd

Very fucking helpful reply, faggot. Thank you.

Alrighty, thank you so much. I'm just waiting for her to respond now.

>fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/Hx2df8
get 2 crappo hdd and put in a raid. it would cut the cost enough for 16gb of wam. dont get 8gb

my buddy wants to build a pc with a budget of $600 canadian. help me great wizard

this

I've now opted for a 250GB 850 EVO, and lowered the 2TB drive to 1TB.

this i meant

Why did you (You) me I was just shitposting.

G4560
B250
8GB RAM (2x4 if 4 slots or 1x8 if 2 slots on the mobo)
Some GTX or RX.

That's it.

didnt mean to great wizard T~T

Building myself a desktop again, I want to go dual monitor but this time I want a 144hz monitor, are here screens out there that look the exact same but one model is high refresh rate the other is just normal so my setup doesnt look like shit?

Symmetrically branded, same size dual screen setups actually look more retarded to me.

Got a PNY 1080 XLR8 how badly did I do ?

You probably overpaid for it since you couldn't be bothered to even post the price.

about 483 US / 650 CAD
purchased before the announcement of the TI/before the announced pricedrops.

Hi guys. I want to build a new PC. My main PC a the moment is a prebuilt with a Sandy Bridge i3 and 4GB of RAM.

I would do a bit of multitasking, host some games' servers, a bit of gaming, and some rendering.

I don't want to buy Ryzen CPUs becouse of the bad single-core performance.

Should I buy a 6800K and an X99 motherboard, and then, upgrade them on September with X299, if it's worth?

Please teach me about liquid metals and whether it's worth it or not.

I have a 1070, want a new monitor
1080p/144hz or 21:9 1440p/100hz?

The fuck?

What?

Critique this build, please. Tasked with putting together a gaming pc for $1400 that will be a solid gaming machine for at least the next four years with intent to upgrade components at that time. I have all ten of these parts in a NewEgg cart for $1455 which includes the tax and shipping and rebates.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mnK42R

I mean, do you have a budget or anything faggot? You want to go ahead and drop $1000 on X99 and then take a massive haircut on it in 6 months by transitioning to X299? For "a bit of multitasking, a bit of gaming, and some rendering"? lel. Fucking have at it, m8.

Which mobo for a G4560 build:

Asrock H270/Z270 Pro4 - $100
or
MSI B250 PC MATE - $90

Both have intel LAN. Asrock has better sound. MSI is cheaper and has some better ports. Noticed most low-end Asrock boards don't have USB 3.1 gen2, just gen1 (3.0). Anything to be concerned with, given I don't run usb devices that need that kind of bandwith atm? Which manufacturer has a better reputation/better BIOS?

Haven't built a pc since 2006, sorry if I sound retarded.

as much as i hate the term "future proofing", 4 years sounds like a stretch even with a 1080 purely based on a friend who got a 980 on release (and in september it'll be 3 years), right now it's "fine" for 1080p but more and as more triple a games (worst case scenario) are coming out it'll probably start hitting the threshold of just about 60fps right before the 4 year mark.

I say get yourself a nice 1070 non-reference and sit on a comfy (factory or manual) overclock for the next 3 years. Chances are you'll most likely not run into any vram problems ever unless you do 1440p+

hey im the original user you replied to. ty for giving me a list to work with. i made some adjustments and am wondering if its alright. other anons pls criticize as well.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HgLsxY

So I got 2 upgrades paths

Sell gpu and monitor and buy a Ti and a 34" ultrawide

or

Buy a 1080p/144hz, some Klipsch speakers, 8Tb of storage( HDD, data hoarder), 500gb SSD, mkg keyboard, headphones and a dac

ATM I have a i5 6500, 3TB HDD, 120SSD, generic keyboard and Hyper Cloud II and a 1080p/60hz monitor

>4k freesync 2 screens when?

At this rate, never ever despite all the various parts of the spec existing for a while nobody has bothered to glue them all together.

That aside (and relevant to this thread) talk dirty to me about 38mm 120mm fans (or for the whole two that exist, 140mm 38mm thick fans with 120mm mountings). I've got a silver arrow i'm planning to bolt to my ryzen build (asus you fucks get some boards built) and my goal is to see what the limits of air cooling can do for the chip and - perhaps just as importantly - getting plenty of airflow over board vrms.

Pic semi-related, its a fan I have that I ripped out of a old dell office box but I can't seem to get pwm working properly.

>H270
H boards are meme boards.

You can't OC the pentium I believe so B is enough but if in the future you'd like to upgrade to an i5 or 7 the Z would give you more options. I'd go with the Z just to be sure.