/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

Previous thread: If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net

Gaming:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G#Configuring
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=219585
pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/?
hackernoon.com/usr-bin-time-not-the-command-you-think-you-know-34ac03e55cc3#.lnhtib52r
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13807864
wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks#How_to_remove_things_installed_by_Winetricks
webupd8.org/2009/04/split-ape-and-flac-files-in-ubuntu-and.html
mapleroyals.com/forum/threads/how-to-play-mapleroyals-in-linux-using-wine.22254/
mp3tag.de/en/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Slackware.

I am tired of the Arch/Arch-based distro meme. I mean, I love AUR and wiki, but fk me if Arch isn't stupid for those using a low-bandwidth connection. Moving on to Fedora/*ubuntu or will be trying OpenSUSE.

Hi,
I installed Ubuntu on my SSD alongside Windows, and I have another HDD for personal files and stuff which is in NTFS format

Is there a way to automatically mount the HDD when I boot into Ubuntu so that programs like qbittorrent that rely on the files on the HDD don't require me to enter the path to individual files every time I restart/mount the drive anew?

/etc/fstab?

make an entry in your fstab

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G#Configuring

Which distro should I run? I'm on arch right now but I want to switch away for systemd related purposes. I have tried to install void linux in a virtual machine, but it seems to me like this OS isn't really finished yet, I've been getting a lot of crashes and it doesn't have all the packages I want.

I've also been looking at freeBSD, but I'm worried about program support since it is more obscure than Loonix™.

My requirements basically are: firefox, urxvt, LaTeX, vim, and ghc. These are the only programs I use (on a regular basis), but I've found Arch to be nice when I need something more obscure.

What do you people currently run and/or recommend?

Source Mage

Thanks guys, will look into this

fixed it

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=219585

>this general is 99% "wot distro do i use guise? XDDD"

is it a good idea to run mkinitcpio after updating on arch?

I installed fresh Xubuntu and it is downloading something can someone tell me what is it ?

It stopped now

things that affect the initcpio should run that on their own, such as updating linux
but there's no harm in running that whenever

How do I write a live iso to a 4GB sd card with space left on the sdcard?

Is the thinkpad X60 tablet libreboot compatible?

if it's a disk image, write it, then making an additional partition in the free space

Depends on what u wanna do
haxor pro? tails
Sup Forums? gentoo
normie? arch linux
hotel? trivago

do I write it with "dd if=.iso of=/dev/sdb" ?

yea, also consider "bs=1M" as well, the default of 512b is only suitable for older hdd's

have u looked into pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/?
its made for multiboot but you could probs do what u want aswell
if u want to use gentoo just leave extra space after partitioning it. if you are installing another distro, just do custom partitions and leave space free (unpartitioned)

Linux is a meme.

You're all idiots.

it will make iso to be written faster, am I right?

yea

I dont get it. What size am I supposed to choose? My sdcard has 4GB and written iso is 1.7gb. Why does it show me 3.6GB free space?

uh wrong picture

You mean your life?

You mean

>50% what distro do i use for this very specific use case (i am too retarded to realize there are only a handful of distributions to use and they all can cover every use case)
>30% bikeshedding naming discussions so they can feel falsely intelligent
>10% general questions
>10% troubleshooting help

The latter 2 are the only acceptable and they're clearly the minority of content.

If you edit the options for your initramfs then you have to run it.

Is there a way to get rid of this one-pixel wide line between the launcher and the maximized app?

fglt more like FAGLET hahah

==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build libc++.
==> Restart building libc++ ? [y/N]
==> -------------------------------
==>

I want to play games using wine, what should I install using winetricks?

>recently heard Wine Staging kinda supports D3D11 nowadays
>decide to try it out on Nights of Azure
>need .Net Framework 4.0 or better to load it
>also need 64-bit prefix, since the game doesn't support 32-bit
>wine apparently just so happens to not support installing .Net or Mono on 64-bit prefix at all
Well, fuck.
Spent like a day trying to work around it with trivial registry editing and installing DLLs in different order, and the only thing I got is a slightly different crash window.
Does anybody know if there is something I am missing?

Depends on the game. Different games have different requirements. Check on winedb for compatibility, there are often also hints about what each game needs.
For a "semi-unviersal" prefix, native Direct3D9 dlls, .Net Framework and a bunch of vcruns rarely hurt in my experience, though, and a ton of games require some of those. Occasionally I needed quartz for video, xinput or dinput.
But remember that sometimes things are actually more buggy when you install a bunch of dll overrides, and sometimes you're really better off just creating a new prefix and dropping only what's needed into it.

What the difference?

Gentoo GNU/Linux nomultilib.

>recently heard Wine Staging kinda supports D3D11 nowadays
>decide to try it out on Nights of Azure
>need .Net Framework 4.0 or better to load it
>also need 64-bit prefix, since the game doesn't support 32-bit
>wine apparently just so happens to not support installing .Net or Mono on 64-bit prefix at all
Well, fuck.
Spent like a day trying to work around it with trivial registry editing and installing DLLs in different order, and the only thing I got is a slightly different crash window.
Does anybody know if there is something I am missing?

hackernoon.com/usr-bin-time-not-the-command-you-think-you-know-34ac03e55cc3#.lnhtib52r
How does this shit werks on linux?

Try linux version of game.

>debian

also, stop name fagging

kek

+1 for the appdb

also, use wineprefixes. it sounds like you're installing everything into one wine folder from your post. it's much better to keep applications seperate

time -p call binary /usr/bin/time
just time calls time which is built-in bash function, there is no such function in dash or busybox, so you need binary.

/usr/bin/time gives yo uthe command,

time runs as a wrapper on another command and can tell the time it takes to execute and stuff.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13807864

Playonlinux or the closed version may help you.

It's a japanese garbage, so no linux or mac version.

Does Honey Select work on wine?

There isn't one.
I'm honestly just perplexed that, in the end, I was defeated not by Direct3D 11 in Wine being too shit to use, but by the fact the game was 64-bit and required .Net at the same time. This is kinda ridiculous.
I guess not that many games require both of these at the same time.
They barely managed to give enough attention to port it to Windows. Until the patch the game was actually busy waiting for everything.

>[Return] [Catalog] [Top] 45 / 6 / 20 / 1 [Upda
duckduckgo it.

What is the benefit to that? Most games work fine with a "all-purpose" prefix, and when they don't, I make a new one and reinstall there.
Making a new one for every application seems both a waste of space and a waste of typing.

playonlinux is just a wine frontend/prefix manager
it has absolutely no compatibility difference from using wine directly

the proprietary codeweavers software on the other hand, it's different, but i don't know too much about it

.net is often only used for launchers, not the game itself
bet they slapped together a configuration thing for the windows release to handle input edits and setting basic things like resolution which the console release didn't need/have, seen it a few times before

They did slap together one, but the thing is, the launcher actually works mostly fine with configuration and everything.
The problems begin either when I start the game from the launcher or when I start the game manually from executable. That is, at the very worst exception isn't happening in the launcher itself. Though maybe they are using .Net to get what you configured in it, or something.

I'm in love with Crux.

I'm happy for you, user

i like it mostly as it keeps everything clean and avoids conflicts. if you install something that conflicts via winetricks it can be hard to remedy/uninstall, meaning you having to reinstall the whole prefix and applications

from wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks#How_to_remove_things_installed_by_Winetricks

Winetricks does not provide a way to uninstall individual apps or DLLs inside a Wine prefix. This is for several reasons, but mainly because the preferred way to uninstall anything in Wine is to simply install into a fresh Wine prefix. (Yes, it would be nice to have uninstallers for everything, but I don't need it myself. Patches welcome.)

I don't know if this should go here or in the stupid question threads.
I'm gonna move out to another city and I won't have internet for a couple of weeks. Up until now my home networking was based on the modem/router my ISP gave me.
I mostly just share files with samba through wifi to to my laptop and phone.
I won't have internet for a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking about buying a router to get my home network up, I don't know much about networking, hence the question, is there anything I should avoid or does every router works fine under Gnu/Linux?

what about arch with openrc?

I've acquired a bunch of PDFs/epubs, and I'd like to print it to A6 paper.
There's a printing service that's willing to do that, but I need to provide it as book format in A4 paper.
Like this
___________ ___________
| | | |
| 99 1 | other side | 2 98 |
|___________| |___________|
then

What do I use to produce something like this under linux? I thought poppler might have something useful but it didn't have anything at all.

How good of a career is cybersecurity/penetration testing? I want to get paid to break computer networks.

anybody ever had a problem with arecord generating massive amounts of cpu usage

i dont even know why, but it's related to which browser i'm using

Systemd doesn't influence any of those requirements.
Chances are you don't even know what systemd is or what it does, but you just want to be edgy and cool for having a bold opinion about something tech related. It's not even your opinion, you picked it up from other people.

Kill yourself you pretentious retard.

Are there any tradeoffs when switching from Ubuntu Unity to Ubuntu with a different desktop environment like Gnome/KDE/MATE etc. ()other than the DE itself obviously)?

No.

What's a free software solution for instant messaging between a Linux distribution and an IPhone?

In linux the GUI is separated from the OS. So no. You dont even need a GUI.

Unlike windows, (an error in the GUI takes down the OS with it.)

Yes, different DE have different tools.
For example KDE have the best wacom configuration tool.

Everyone praise me, I just managed ot downgrade my debian install successfully from stretch to Jessie.

email

When I compare packages of Ubuntu variants on DistroWatch they seem to differ a bit - like Xubuntu doesn't seem to have Postgresql and qt. What gives?

Honestly, I only want to have something that will work with the CUDA drivers. If DE has no influence on that then I'll probably go with Xubuntu.

I would love to use email, but my provider doesn't offer free ways to access it other than the web interface and it's sluggish as fuck. I don't want to change to a different provider because this one has neat @mail.com addresses.

Stop trusting Distrowatch and random websites.
Xubuntu is Ubuntu with Xfce preinstalled. That's it. It uses the Ubuntu repositories. To find out which packages it has, go to the Ubuntu package website and search for it.

>Xubuntu doesn't seem to have Postgresql and qt

Maybe it doesn't have them preinstalled. You can install them later.

T O X
O
X

kek
is still alive?

What's a good tool for splitting .flac files of entire albums into separate track .flac files? I do have .cue files too, of course.
I'm using Ubuntu and would prefer something with GUI.

Is Flacon my best choice or would you recommend anything else?

I was in the same situation. Couldn't find anything, so I wrote a shitty Bash script with my very limited Bash knowledge.
Basically it can split tracks using shntool and then convert them to mp3. I'd post it, but it's not useful for you because it always converts to mp3.

tl;dr: look into shntool. it's CLI, but figure it out once and then just create a shell function/alias to split everything you download.

Yeah I'm aware of shntool
> webupd8.org/2009/04/split-ape-and-flac-files-in-ubuntu-and.html
Just wondering what's a good one with GUI

Impressive user, tell us more

Try Flacon then.
Honestly, I don't understand your desire for a GUI if it's just for you. It's way more tedious than navigating to the download and typing one command.

Hi, I'm a complete Linux newfriend. These days I got a nostalgia rush and decided to play a [spoiler]MapleStory[/spoiler] private server. The shit won't fucking run on w10. I've tried every suggestion from the shitdevs, virtual machines won't function correctly for some reason, so I decided I might as well go for it and try it on Linux. Managed to install Linux mint correctly, and it runs oracle VM fine, only now the private server won't run on XP sp3, might have to try w7. But I would much rather run it through wine. I tried to do it with this guide: mapleroyals.com/forum/threads/how-to-play-mapleroyals-in-linux-using-wine.22254/

Even though it's for a different private server. But it didn't even execute. The one I'm trying to run is playrien.com
I could simply install a w7 partition, but having 2 windows partitions is just silly, and I like >w10

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

It took me five hours.

And a lot of aptitude search.

Well, it wouldn't hurt if there was a tool which could not just add tags to files (which shntool can) but also rename the files to Song Name.flac using the .cue or the tags.
shntool can't do that.

Perhaps there is anything similar to mp3tag
> mp3tag.de/en/index.html
for linux?

What's wrong with freetard community?

Puddletag.

When I tried Ubuntu using a 8 gb USB, it screwed up most of it. When I tried reformatting it to use it normally, it only showed up as 1 GB. Is this normal? Since I was considering getting an SD card for linux but not sure whether it will hold up due the the constant read/write requests.

Thanks

>it only showed up as 1 GB
on windows or linux?

RARE STALLMAN

did oyu know that rms is an actor?

Windows
On linux it was normal
When I wanted to use the USB like a USB again and need to re format it, it showed and still shows 1 gb

you probably have multiple partitions on the usb now and since windows is fucking retarded it only reads the first partition. you probably didnt reformat it properly.
On windows youll have to use diskpart to reformat a bootable usb drive.

Fantastic, thanks!

He fell for the systemd memes.

I know you guys hate this question but Debian GNOME or Ubuntu GNOME : which will be more suitable for ricing.

You're an idiot.
It's the same environment and it has the same options and features, idiot. Stop falling for idiotic claims and do your own research which only requires common sense.

Can someone help me with this?
Opensuse tumbleweed
Didn't update it for a long time

Used zypper dup to update
Then when I reset the system I got this error and can't connect to the wifi anymore
I've tried resetting a few times but this appears every time
Also when I try to use zypper refresh or up I get an error

I'm thinking I might just wipe and reinstall the OS from the old copy I have on USB

>gnome

How can I match some regex even if there is a new line inside it with grep? I’m using POSIX-extended regular expressions (the -E flag), and I want to match, for example this:
# I want this to match everything between < and >:
printf '\n' | grep -E ''

Another question about extended-regex:
How do I get the shortest possible match?, like here:
# Here, I want to match the string '< 2 >', and not '< 2 > 1 >':
printf '< 2 > 1 >\n' | egrep -E ''
# matches the whole string ('< 2 > 1 >')

# I found a workaround for this, but is there a better solution than this:
printf '< 2 > 1 >\n' | egrep -E ']*>'
# matches only '< 2 >'

Just to note the error is
unable to create io-slave klauncher said error loading '/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so

I can't find any help online, and I still do t know how to get wifi to possibly try updating packages

It's definitely an issue with with KDE but I have no idea how to repair it without internet

Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre will never support AMDGPU-PRO drivers but only the AMDGPU open source stack, right?

Why does Alt+F2 r in GNOME refresh GNOME, but when I try doing that in a terminal, it doesn't work?

clear && reset