Just saw someone recommend Syncthing as a dropbox alternative here and decided to check it out

Just saw someone recommend Syncthing as a dropbox alternative here and decided to check it out

Holy shit, this is amazing and everything I ever wanted. I don't know why more people don't recommend this as an alternative to dropbox/google drive/onedrive, usually I only see people recommend Owncloud or Nextcloud

Everyone here who has multiple computers and wants to share files between them should be using Syncthing.

I've recommended it a bunch of times here.

It's not 100% stable yet and I have some issues with the UI, but it still works quite well.

>It's not 100% stable yet
Is it new or something? I'm a writer and have been looking for a way to back up my writing across devices, this is a dream come true for me, especially cause I can even back up to my phone with the app

Yea, it's somewhat new. You probably will encounter bugs. I certainly did. For instance the Android app didn't update information (the WebGUI had it right, the app did not) or killed its own configuration to an extent where the app couldn't start again.

And the desktop application also had problems.

Still very much worth using - I particularly like it because it's easy and quite flexible. Same application for syncing photographs (all directions), backing up a device (one way) and getting from Android to Linux/Windows/Android without a NAS in between (and do it in any location with a network). But it is beta software.

Also, arguably the UI -unlike the idea- doesn't scale. You get too many devices and shares in there and it becomes chaos.

>2 posters
You don't have to samefag this obviously OP.
If it's any consolation I'll check it out for you and give this thread a bump. I saw it in fdroid and it caught my curiosiy.

lol I didn't know that obviously responding to someone as the OP is samefagging

Wrong, different user who saw this thread.

Anyhow, this thing deserves to win, it's all under your control, open sauce and fairly easy to use.

I use it to sync shit from phone, desktop, laptop and a server.
Syncthing is fucking great.

Do we need to connect it via https?

Is there a way to get it to be more Dropbox-esque where syncing isn't done 100% automatically, at all times, and in the background?

I use it to sync my music to my phone plus my dev folder and keepass db.

Main issue I have is syncing to SD card on Android is wonky as hell. Root is required and you have to shuffle some hidden bits around, I think it's because Go doesn't support the API yet.

Would doing something like changing the rescan interval then only manually rescanning when you want do what you're looking for?

Possibly. My objective is to be able to browse files on my home server, and download/upload them only when needed.

couldn't you mount an ftp server as a filesystem somehow? I know you can use sshfs for sftp.

I could. In fact I'm actually using Samba and I have the share mounted locally on my desktop, but I'm looking for something more convenient, so to speak, for my phone.

cont.

I'm actually looking at using ownCloud, but I've yet to set aside the time to figure out how to get it set up.

Fuck off, shill. Demonsaw is the future and the true Dropbox killer.

All hail Eijah and Mcafee.

btw I'm using this shit and it is pretty cool to be honest lads

+1 for DS

I had trouble with a Keepass DB. Signature didn't match on the other device and it wouldnt open the DB file. Ever had something like that?

I have a nextcloud (the more open fork of owncloud) server on my vps and it works pretty much the same as dropbox but you can also use the sync client for the desktop.

I'll have to give Nextcloud a try then. Thanks senpai

It Just Werks for me, although I don't use a key file, just a PW.

I do, and it's fucking fantastic. I don't consider it a true Dropbox alternative, though, because it actually creates copies of the files on each device you sync. That's probably why a lot of people recommend Owncloud/Nextcloud, because they are more proper Dropbox alternatives.

yeah, it's definitely for a different use case than dropbox/nextcloud/owncloud, but what it does is actually more in line with what I want as a dropbox alternative, and I suspect this is the same for some others too

Funny enough, I actually agree with you. I like how the synced files actually integrate into regular file viewing patterns with Syncthing rather than having to access them from a third-party app or website, like with Dropbox.

Yep, only reason I was looking for a dropbox-like program is cause I didn't know something like syncthing existed